Event Discussion

I'd rather see newsletter distributions instead of "go to a shop" distributions, if universal online codes or Mystery Gifts are not happening again. It's the lesser evil.

I guess I'm biased because there are no "go to a shop" distributions in Argentina but still.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I'd rather see newsletter distributions instead of "go to a shop" distributions, if universal online codes or Mystery Gifts are not happening again. It's the lesser evil.

I guess I'm biased because there are no "go to a shop" distributions in Argentina but still.
You have a point; as much as I dislike these newsletter distros they are universally accessible. (of course, the universal online codes are more convenient for everyone)

I'm at least hoping they'll do Zeraora the same way they did Marshadow last year at cinemas with the movie. I already got my ticket and the Lugia that came with it.

US - Gamestop 4th to 27th
UK & Spain - Game 4th to 26th
France - Micromania
Germany & Italy - Gamestop
Australia & Canada - EB Games

Looks like they're only going over design processes for the main box cover legendaries... which makes sense. Being the main characters essentially it's far more likely that the design processes were more complex and that the designers themselves would remember than more than some rando like Heatran.

US - Gamestop 4th to 27th
UK & Spain - Game 4th to 26th
France - Micromania
Germany & Italy - Gamestop
Australia & Canada - EB Games

Looks like they're only going over design processes for the main box cover legendaries... which makes sense. Being the main characters essentially it's far more likely that the design processes were more complex and that the designers themselves would remember than more than some rando like Heatran.
But they didn't say a thing about Yveltal... I wanted them to say something about how they came up with the idea of Lil' Deathwing :(

(Adding another event Pokemon I cannot get to the list)

No wifi for Europe this time? Guess I can only hope to get the codes on the forum then. They only talked about Xerneas design and that the aura abilities are simple and make them powerful. Oh and the legendaries have identical stats.
I don't know what to say honestly. Would anyone be satisfied by the information delivered in these interviews?

I was pretty satisfied, personally. Was interesting to hear that they had difficulties coming up with what a fairy-type legendary would look like.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I was pretty satisfied, personally. Was interesting to hear that they had difficulties coming up with what a fairy-type legendary would look like.
yeah, I enjoyed this one more than the Raikou/Entei one as well

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So only mascot Legendaries get any significant discussion, alright. So going down the remaining list:

June: Shiny Zygarde (this is a coin flip. It's related to Xerneas and Yveltal yet it never got its own game (and doubt they'll talk about that). Though considering how complicated its formes are, I'm going to guess one segment will be about how 10% is fast and the other about Perfect's Signature Ability and Move)
July: Tornadus and Thundurus (Probably talk about the differences between their Incarnate and Therian Formes)
August: Kyogre and Groudon (Mascots so high hopes here)
Sempember: Lati@s (Probably talk about their speed/difference in stats and their Signature moves, maybe also mention the Soul Dew but overall not expecting much)
October: Reshiram and Zekrom (Mascots so high hopes here)
November: Lugia and Ho-oh (Mascots so high hopes here)

But that's for the future, what about Xerneas and Yveltal:

Xerneas Creation: Xerneas went through a unique creation process, going to designer to designer with all giving input throughout its creation. Which is rather interesting, as I remember another story about both Xerneas and Yveltal's creation. From Bulbapedia:

"Xerneas, along with Yveltal, was designed by Ken Sugimori and Yusuke Ohmura. Initial design for the two Legendary Pokémon was started by Sugimori, but he encountered "artist's block". For the first time, he handed the work over to another designer, Ohmura, who furthered the designs, after which Sugimori returned to finish them."

Now the two stories aren't incompatible, could be Ken Sugimori started on the two but after having artists block assigned Yusuke Ohmura to further the design. From there Ohmura did this with Yveltal by himself, but since Xerneas was the first Fairy-type he went around the office to the other designers to get their input and design suggestions. After all that was done Ohmura made his version of Xerneas, a combination of suggestions made by committee, and submitted both back to Ken Sugimori to finish them. While "made by committee" is often used as a joke to point out a products generic-ness/pandering, I think it worked really nicely here. The most obvious way to go would have been a traditional fairy-like creature, by making it a deer (probably inspired by the Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke) they not only curb the stereotype that comes with the word "Fairy" but also give their own definition and idea of what the believe the Fairy-type would be.

Sad Yveltal didn't get any major mention, but could be its design was more straight forward. Opposite of life is death, death is seen as an evil thing thus Dark-type (Evil-type in Japan), it needs to incorporate a "Y" design which looks like a bird (with a long tail), a bird associated with death are vultures, also Norse mythology has a few death birds connected with Yggdrasil, and any other design aspects like the double helix design probably came from Xerneas's final creation so it could match it.

Battle Stuff: Nothing major, they do talk a tiny bit about how Legendary mascots have similar, if not the same, stats but nothing too indepth. They just mentioned despite having the same stats their Abilities give them more unique use (I'd more say that it's their Typing and Move Set which more determines that but whatever you want to believe, GF...). Surprised they made no mention of their Signature Moves, yet another thing which sets them apart as Xerneas is a major buff and Yveltal is a draining move, which is very different from previous Legendary pairs who had matching/comparable offensive moves.

It's been confirmed that Shiny Zygarde will be available via serial code at GameStop and EB Games in the US and Canada from June 1 - 24, while Europe and Australia can get it over Nintendo Network from June 1 - 22. It has Aura Break, but can be combined with Zygarde cells for Power Construct. (provided you don't disassemble the shiny Zygarde) Naturally, it's likely to be level 60 in Sun and Moon, and level 100 and holding a Gold Bottle Cap in USUM.

It's been confirmed that Shiny Zygarde will be available via serial code at GameStop and EB Games in the US and Canada from June 1 - 24, while Europe and Australia can get it over Nintendo Network from June 1 - 22. It has Aura Break, but can be combined with Zygarde cells for Power Construct. (provided you don't disassemble the shiny Zygarde) Naturally, it's likely to be level 60 in Sun and Moon, and level 100 and holding a Gold Bottle Cap in USUM.
I read that it's available as a downloadable code... but only in Europe and Australia and I couldn't have facepalmed harder.

Really? Only there?

I read that it's available as a downloadable code... but only in Europe and Australia and I couldn't have facepalmed harder.

Really? Only there?
From what Serebii has so far. Serial code for North America, Nintendo Network for Europe and Australia. You'll... probably end up adding this to the list of events you can't get yourself, sadly. (trading for it in the Wi-Fi SQSR thread when it becomes available notwithstanding)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So here's the video for Zygarde:
1. So the Cells and Cores are naturally attracted to strong people which is why you find all the Cores inside the player's and Kahuna's homes, that's neat and something I didn't notice until now.
2. I like how the video covers for them saying Zygarde has three Signature moves, the subtitles specifying it has three signature Ground-type moves. Makes me curious if that's what they meant or did they forget one of Zygarde's Signature moves (my bet would be on Land's Wrath; it's kind of forgettable even though it's a decent move, basically a slightly weaker Earthquake but only hits your opponents).

Kind of wish it was a Wifi event but to GameStop it is.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
1. So the Cells and Cores are naturally attracted to strong people which is why you find all the Cores inside the player's and Kahuna's homes, that's neat and something I didn't notice until now.
2. I like how the video covers for them saying Zygarde has three Signature moves, the subtitles specifying it has three signature Ground-type moves. Makes me curious if that's what they meant or did they forget one of Zygarde's Signature moves (my bet would be on Land's Wrath; it's kind of forgettable even though it's a decent move, basically a slightly weaker Earthquake but only hits your opponents).

Judging by the fact that they specify that they're three signature ground type moves and they display Land's Wrath in the video, I'd guess they left out Core Enforcer. Makes me curious if there's some specific distinction between signature moves that the pokemon learns naturally and what it needs a tutor or event for.

My two guesses are either that they simply forgot one of the moves (possibly cause in the end 1000 Arrows is the only one used in competitive movesets anyway), or they are planning to give one of those moves to another mon in gen 8 so by definition it'd not be a signature move anymore.

It was probably Core Enforcer as that's technically the signature move of Complete Zygarde. Plus, you know, that's a Dragon type move rather than a Ground move.

At least it’s not at Target.

Just noticed something: Is this the first time we're getting something significant via event before Japan gets it? There are no Japanese Shiny Zygarde events; Shiny Zygarde is obtainable only outside of Asia.

Just noticed something: Is this the first time we're getting something significant via event before Japan gets it? There are no Japanese Shiny Zygarde events; Shiny Zygarde is obtainable only outside of Asia.
Actually... has Japan gotten any of the "Legends 2018" events? I can't seem to find anything about Japan getting the previous months' events, even as far back as the Dialga/Palkia event in February.

Nope. They didn't get any of the 20th Anniversary Mythical distributions last time either. Have fun completing the National Dex if you're in Japan.

So I never know where this kind of information goes, but we're set to get new Pokemon info, according to Oha Suta

全世界激震!ポケットモンスターに関する衝撃情報を入手!ポケモンの新たな歴史が生まれる瞬間に立ち会おう!
Shocking! Breaking Pokemon-related news! Get ready for the moment that gives birth to a new history of Pokemon!

The program will air this Thursday at 0705 Japan time, so I will be able to catch it before I go to work, though I might not have time to summarise everything before I leave home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)