Eviolite

Considering how Gliscor gets Poison Heal through the Dream World, I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Mind you, Smogon may decide to go for DW implementation as released, in which case, if it's never released, in which case, this post is moot.

Blissey would never see permanent use in UU. If it fell out of usage, it'd be 'tested' in UU, and the test would quickly end with Bliss in BL. Same for Gliscor.

We might need a new banlist between UU and NU because things like Beedrill/Magcargo and things like Marowak/Tauros shouldn't exist in the same tier.

Marill's top possible Attack rating is 304 with a latent S Atk of 76, and 281/204/204 defenses. Base Speed is 40.
Azumarill's top possible Attack rating is 436 with a latent S Atk of 136, and 341/196/196 defenses. Base Speed is 50.

Azumarill far outranks Marill defensively without using Lefties. Marill can't use the Special boost from Cheer Up as well.

Trapinch is pathetic. 231/189/189 defenses, base speed of 10, and it's 328 Atk can't guarantee OHKOs as well anymore without some type of boost.

ScarfPinch is superior to EvoPinch, and CB Diglett superior to that.
I appreciate the calculations on Marill, thank you! I am a bit dissapointed with Marill but it may hopefully do well in Middle Cup if that ever fully materializes itself.

Chansey = The new Blissey
Blissey = UU

Gligar = The new Gliscor
Gliscor = UU/BL (thanks to pretty good Attack and Speed)
As another poster said, aint happening. Blissey will remain in OU it will not drop to UU just because Chancey got a buff. Same with Gliscor.

So would lickitung be better then lickilicky?
No. Lickitung gets effectively 26 more in each defense stat, but it trades 20 HP, 30 attack, 20 Special attack and 20 speed not to mention the fact Lickilicky gets to hold an item on top of that.

An interesting item with a lot of possibility. I didn't bother thinking about Porygon2 and the other obvious candidates, and instead went the route of...

Scyther @ Pre-Evolution Stone
+Def, -SpAtk nature | Swarm
4 HP, 252 Def, 252 SpDef
- Agility
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor
Dedicated Baton passer who can sweep in a pinch. Even with 0 speed EVs, Scyther reaches 430 speed after an Agility (and if you end up needing to attack, 450 Attack after a Swords Dance.) Thanks to this lovely hold item, Scyther has 251 HP, 426 Defence, and 388 SpDef to help you survive while you boost and pass. A Swarm SD X-Scissor will deal big damage in a last pokemon situation, though if you aren’t interested in attacking at all you could run Substitute or another support move (weather changer? he doesn’t have much) in the last slot. I don’t recommend this because you need to differentiate this set from Gliscor (and Gligar?) and a Swarm X-Scissor is the easiest way to do so.
A 4x weakness to Rock isn’t pleasant, but the boosted defences should do a solid job of taking a hit from almost anything else in the lower tiers.

An interesting item with a lot of possibility. I didn't bother thinking about Porygon2 and the other obvious candidates, and instead went the route of...

Scyther @ Pre-Evolution Stone
+Def, -SpAtk nature | Swarm
4 HP, 252 Def, 252 SpDef
- Agility
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor
Dedicated Baton passer who can sweep in a pinch. Even with 0 speed EVs, Scyther reaches 430 speed after an Agility (and if you end up needing to attack, 450 Attack after a Swords Dance.) Thanks to this lovely hold item, Scyther has 251 HP, 426 Defence, and 388 SpDef to help you survive while you boost and pass. A Swarm SD X-Scissor will deal big damage in a last pokemon situation, though if you aren’t interested in attacking at all you could run Substitute or another support move (weather changer? he doesn’t have much) in the last slot. I don’t recommend this because you need to differentiate this set from Gliscor (and Gligar?) and a Swarm X-Scissor is the easiest way to do so.
A 4x weakness to Rock isn’t pleasant, but the boosted defences should do a solid job of taking a hit from almost anything else in the lower tiers.
Even with the evolution stone SR still owns him, without naming the shit load of pokemons who wall him badly and can roar him out

Scyther @ Evolution Stone:
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Jolly

Original base stat:
70 HP/110 Atk/80 Def/55 SpAtk/80 SpDef/105 Speed Total: 500

When having Evolution Stone, it is equivalent to:
70 HP/110 Atk/130 Def/55 SpAtk/130 SpDef/105 Speed Total: 600

Good atk and speed, quite bulky, Scyther is really worth to use with Evolution Stone, IF there is not an entry hazard called "STEALTH ROCK" XD

Defensive Magneton beats defensive Magnezone?! Take that you ugly Mt. Coronet wannabe. Teach you to evolve from a Gen 1 pokemon... lol
This item essentially brings shiton of old pre-evos into the fray.
WTH Sneasel has 95 Base Def. and 121(!) Base Sp.Def! Too bad his type sucks. I'll have to research this item with other pre-evos... Damn this item is good.

I've always liked Dragonair more than Dragonite, and while it may still be vastly inferior to Dragonite I am looking forward to using Pre-Evolution Stone with it.:heart:

@Perentiefan, Dragonair gets Marvel Scale now. :)

With some calculations it turns out that EvoChansey is about 25% more bulky than Gira-A, the most bulky mon without item boost. That's huge, alfter some calcs I found out that she can even try switching into the infamous Specsogre Water Spout now.

But I still see P2 as one of the best users of this stone, with Analyze it will be a very potent tank.

*runs search*

K, here's a list of pokemon that receive ANY SORT of benefit, even if they wouldn't be viable in the current UU metagame:

Charmeleon - DD + Solar Power - 4x SR weak = viable NU/UU mixed sweep
Gloom
Graveler
Machoke
Kadabra
Haunter

Onix - well, it was once a standalone but it was pathetic even in gen I, and this item goes almost too well with Breakable Armor and base 70 speed

Koffing
Eevee - Curse set, BP, STAB adaptability QA...
Dragonair
Flaaffy - Cotton Guard set, see Ampharos thread

Murkrow - Mischievous Heart abuse. Murkrow only bad stats are it's HP + defenses.

Pineco - Forry's defenses are better, but Pineco's typing stands out
Pupitar - Horrid typing, but can DD
Combusken - Less fear of priority, but slower and less damaging
Shroomish - Pure Grass, Quick Feet, Spore
Vigoroth
Wynaut
Sealeo
Shelgon
Metang
Grotle - Pure Grass, beyond sexy defenses, good attack for UU

Monferno - much better defenses than Ape, could likely wallbreak in UU and withstand an Aqua Jet from anything but Azumarill & Feraligatr

Prinplup - Better defenses than Empoleon, but losing steel type hurts
Shieldon
Bronzor
Gabite
Munchlax
Hippopotas
Janobii
Chaobuu
Gantoru
Dotekkotsu
Purotooga
Gigear - Gear Change = Win
Shibibiiru

Jihedoo - Actually, an awesome pokemon. With Hustle and Evostone, it apparently hits and tanks better than Sazan. Low speed and lack of item are the downfalls, as well as low Sp. Atk stat and sacrificed accuracy (no Claw Sharpen). I'd want to see if it could sweep as well as fully evolved dragons if a Blaziken passed it a Claw Sharpen + Speed boost.
I've tested 11 pokemon with the prevo stone and some of them had some kind of success.

Tangela has great defenses and 100 SA but suffers from lack of recovery. Leech Seed and Regeneration (Dream World) helped it quite a bit.

Slowpoke actually did okay, because of Slack Off + Regeneration. And it's a bulky water.

Togetic did good too. Wish for recovery / passing, and lots of coverage moves.

Rhydon as mentioned earlier, is quite good but badly typed.

Chansey has worse problems with being walled then blissey.

Porygon2 is everything it says on the box. However, status was a big problem.

Larion was not very good.

Gligar is Gliscor+.

Dusclops - Better than dusnoir. But emulates duscnoir and is therefore worthless.

Mantyke can actually take special hits after getting this.

There was one more, but I can't remember it.

I've tested 11 pokemon with the prevo stone and some of them had some kind of success.

Tangela has great defenses and 100 SA but suffers from lack of recovery. Leech Seed and Regeneration (Dream World) helped it quite a bit.
Mmk.

Slowpoke actually did okay, because of Slack Off + Regeneration. And it's a bulky water.
I wanted to say Poke, but it's truly an inferior Bro. Not even it's Sp. Def beats Bro's, besides losing it's item, offense, and HP

Togetic did good too. Wish for recovery / passing, and lots of coverage moves.

Rhydon as mentioned earlier, is quite good but badly typed.

Chansey has worse problems with being walled then blissey.

Porygon2 is everything it says on the box. However, status was a big problem.
I would have noted all of these guys but the poster asked for a list of pokemon who weren't previously final forms.

Larion was not very good.
Expected.

Gligar is Gliscor+.
Gligar's made of win.

Dusclops - Better than dusnoir. But emulates duscnoir and is therefore worthless.
Clops is da man!

Mantyke can actually take special hits after getting this.
I completely missed this little guy on my list. It's base Sp. Def is effectively the highest in the game, 4.5 points over Regice's. Before the Gen IV phy/spc split, it would have been an awesome UU wall, maybe even function in OU vs the old CMers. Nowadays... it could still probably work brilliantly to wall things in NU, it just has to fear Wild Volt and T Punch (as well as the odd VTack Pikachu).

Here, I'll try a set:
Mantyke @ Miracle of Evolution
*Unlimited Sting Works*
Swift Swim (OU) / Water Absorb(UU/NU)
Modest / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 HP
- Hydro Pump - STAB
- Hidden Power [Grass / Electric] - A move to break bulky water subs and pile on pain.
- Toxic - More anti-bulk
- Rest - Recovery. Why doesn't this thing get roost?

EDIT: Made Mantyke better.

Okay. HOW DID I SERIOUSLY OVERLOOK ONE OF THE GREATEST THREATS OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME!!!

Poliwhirl @ Miracle of Evolution
*Unlimited Whirl Works*
Swift Swim
Jolly / 252 Speed / 252 Defense / 16 HP
- Hypnosis - One poke down...
- Belly Drum - ... and five to go
- Waterfall - A.K.A. if you don't resist this, die
- Return - A.K.A. coverage

Obviously, with Drizzle support. This thing is SCARY. Come in, abuse your Swift Swim, and use Hypnosis. That's a 60% chance of auto-win, because almost nothing can stop you from drumming next turn.

Stats (after Drum, in Drizzle, with item):
138 HP (after Drum, 275 before)
664 Attack (after Drum, and effectively 996 on Waterfall)
339 Defense
122 Sp. Attack (bah)
204 Sp. Defense
612 Speed

Checks:
Nattorei... unless running EQ...
Scarfed Tar can check if it comes in on Return... Scarfed Altaria with a lot of bulk might be able to check vs Waterfall... Scarfed Kingdra can switch in on Waterfall and KO with Outrage or Meteor... Unaware Bibarel and Quagsire are also solid checks.

EDIT: Shedinja's a solid check. Thanks to Random Rider for pointing it out.
EDIT3: Water Absorb Burungeru's also a solid check. Thanks goes to Arc Tech.

Some current OU/Uber Water or Dragon types can usually switch in during the Drum to kill or revenge kill. Altaria, Ninetales, and Groudon can do so as well.

EDIT2: Another few switch-during-Drum/revenge checks:
Anything with Sash/Sturdy
LO +spd Lumineon w/ HP Grass/Electric
CB Floatzel. An iffy check though
Luvdisc + Sash and Psych Up. What's scarier than having a +6 Luvdisc's Waterfall hit you?
Mischievous Heart + status move

Sturdy's the biggest issue, but all Probopass can do to you is Toxic or Explode (so you're getting your guaranteed kill anyway), and all Skarm does is Whirlwind (he doesn't even have Sturdy if SR's in play). Mischievous Heart Erufuun can Stun Spore you but will die in the process 62.5% of the time. Everything else is NU gimmick.

And notice, I ran NO attack EVs. Other than the 40% chance hypnosis misses, you're pretty screwed to lose at least one pokemon if you don't have a check to switch into Drum, because Whirl resists Bullet Punch (CB Techni Adamant Scizor's does 21-24%) and Aqua Jet (CB Adamant Azumarill's does 23-27% with drizzle's boost) and without SR, won't even die from CB Techniloom's Mach Punch (41-49%), Specs Lucario's Vacuum Wave (42-49%), or Dragonite's... nvm, RAYQUAZA'S CB ExtremeSpeed (41-48%). Note: with Rocks damage, Whirl can still die a lot from the LO versions of each attack, so keep a spinner. The only priority attack that exists to beat this thing without SR's help is Arceus' CB ExtremeSpeed (52-61%), and if you're lucky Arceus' Life Orbed ExtremeSpeed one in three tries. WOW, this pokemon got an insane upgrade from Gen IV.

MIND GAME #1: The Merits of Wish
You may think this falls under #2, but Wish is in a class of it's own when it comes to keeping Poliwhirl able to sweep at a moment's notice or a single misprediction by the opponent. Put Poliwrath on a team with a good wish passer, maybe even two.

If Hyponsis misses and Whirl takes a hard hit, a lot of people would think Poliwhirl's done, it's already down to less than 50% health, it's attack stat is normally crap. This is where your mind game happens. Simply having a WishPasser means Whirl can come back to full HP with ease, it only has 275 HP total. If an opponent doesn't realize it, they'll get owned badly. If they do, they'll risk overpredicting Wishes and open up opportunities.

Yeah, just by being alive, Poliwhirl can force errors. Your opponent is the one with the hard decisions on the defensive, you can be playing a stall strategy and he'll have to account for Poliwhirl coming and attempting a sweep as soon as he makes the wrong move (which it viably could).

This also means Whirl can switch out against a check, even a doubtful one, and save itself trouble. As Schwartzenegger would say, "I'll be back", and Miracle of Evolution makes this pokemon almost guaranteed to survive a lot of switchins, even at <50% HP. Nattorei or Burungeru check Poliwhirl's sweep? Trap them, kill them, lure them, weaken them, and then bring Whirl back when your opponent cannot possibly defend anymore.

MIND GAME #2: The Merits of Support
Screens are about the best thing you can give a Poliwhirl, because no Brick Break user will survive two turns against Whirl and Whirl could survive almost any move any check but Nattorei, Ninetales, or Groudon would possess.

A Spinner is a good Xmas present as well, letting Whirl survive every priority attack except LO/CB Arceus'. SR support is nice too, to make killing things like a Burungeru who misses W-o-W easier.

Aromatherapy and Heal Bell are much appreciated. Burungeru can give poor Whirl a burn, Erufuun can play mind games by threatening to give him priority paralysis, crippling Whirl's lightning speed. This will not be allowed. If there's a status healer on your team, you should have no fear EQing Burungeru or Returning Erufuun.

Trap support is big. You want to lure and kill Nattorei ASAP. Poliwhirl cannot usually sweep safely while Nattorei exists, and does NOT want to take STABed Power Whip; the faster Nattorei dies, the faster Poliwhirl goes back to sweeping. An Earthquake-bearing Poliwhirl with Reflect support, however, fears no Nattorei, or most other things. Burungeru's still an issue but you'll 2hko if burn misses.

Trapping Burungeru is also important. Water Absorb Burungeru is absolutely immune to any non-EQ Poliwhirl and can wall EQ Whirl by burning and recovering. Killing Burungeru puts a lot more pressure on the opponent.

MIND GAME #3: The Merits of Saving Hypnosis
You can try to get Drum in without using Hypnosis so that you can save it to incapacitate a check like Natt or Burungeru. Since Linoone teams are my favourites to begin with, I can confirm that doing this is difficult but possible using Screens/Yawn/Rest switchins, and having the new Wish formula at it's disposal means Poliwhirl can try multiple times, or just default to using Hypnosis to clear Drum.

MIND GAME #4:
The Merits of Variety

The worst thing for a pokemon's attacking set to be is 'predictable'. If a pokemon has multiple options, the number of set counters starts decreasing quickly, as does your opponent's confidence in his 'some-set' counters until your set's completely revealed. A deadly mystery introduces risks. Risks introduce stress and mistakes. Mistakes, when your opponents make them, are a tailwind on the path to victory.

1. Poliwhirl has the excellent distinction of being one of the few NFE non-grounds to learn Earthquake. If Whirl runs Waterfall/EQ instead of Waterfall/Return, what does it miss? Obviously every non-poison Grass type with bulk like Celebi, which it wont 2hko. There's also Gyarados, which usually won't do much back but it'll damage you, making you more susceptible to KOs, and Burungeru, if it gets in clean, can still burn you and wall you from there.

2. Assuming that 3rd game tutors will give Whirl Ice Punch for the 4th generation in a row, Ice Punch/Earthquake would hit about everything but leave out STAB, so Skarm can ruin the fun. Ice Punch would also be the move that allows a guaranteed KO on any StallTaria or BulkyMence. Earthquake also lets you harm Ninetales switching in expecting a Drum.

3. A no-Hypnosis set (Waterfall/Earthquake/Rest or Return) can hit everything, but sacrifices the easy-as-pie set up and damage immunity granted by Hypnosis for the coverage. It also allows for an extra head game since opponents might expect the Hypnosis on Burungeru, switch in Hydration Vappy, and EQ happens instead. Rest takes into account that you wont be able to withstand priority as well as before, and once back at full HP only really powerful Electric/Grass STAB or a phazer should force you out. Having AT/Heal Bell is appreciated, since sleep counters are eviler than ever this gen.

4. There's the option of no Belly Drum, which plays a different head game by pretending you're a standard Poliwhirl when you're really just there to introduce stress and lure Burungeru into a Toxic. Base 65 Attack is meh, but your defenses are good and 252 Attack + Drizzle will help increase damage.

Okay. HOW DID I SERIOUSLY OVERLOOK ONE OF THE GREATEST THREATS OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME!!!

*Unlimited Whirl Works*
Swift Swim
- Return - A.K.A. if you're not Burungera or Empoleon, DIE.

Obviously, with Drizzle support. This thing is SCARY. Come in, abuse your Swift Swim, and use Hypnosis. That's a 60% chance of auto-win, because almost nothing can stop you from drumming next turn.

339 Defense
122 Sp. Attack (bah)
204 Sp. Defense
612 Speed

Checks:
Scarfed Tar can check if it comes in on Return... Scarfed Altaria with a lot of bulk might be able to check vs Waterfall... Scarfed Kingdra can switch in on Waterfall and KO with Outrage or Meteor... Unaware Bibarel and Quagsire are also solid checks.

Many current OU/Uber Water or Dragon types can usually switch in during the Drum to kill or revenge kill. Altaria, Ninetales, and Groudon can do so as well.

And notice, I ran NO attack EVs. Other than the 40% chance hypnosis misses, you're pretty screwed to lose at least one pokemon if you don't have a check to switch into Drum, because Whirl resists Bullet Punch (CB Techni Adamant Scizor's does 21-24%) and Aqua Jet (CB Adamant Azumarill's does 23-27% with drizzle's boost) and without SR, won't even die from CB Techniloom's Mach Punch (41-49%), Specs Lucario's Vacuum Wave (42-49%), or Dragonite's... nvm, RAYQUAZA'S CB ExtremeSpeed (41-48%). The only priority attack that exists to beat this thing without SR's help is Arceus' CB ExtremeSpeed (52-61%), and if you're lucky Arceus' Life Orbed ExtremeSpeed one in three tries. WOW, this pokemon got an insane upgrade from Gen IV.

Put this poke on a team with a good wish passer (or better yet, screens because no Brick Break user will survive two turns against Whirl and Whirl could survive almost any move any check but Ninetales or Groudon would possess), and it will strike HORROR into the opponent several times.
That set makes me giddy just thinking about it. Shedinja is a counter though.

That set makes me giddy just thinking about it. Shedinja is a counter though.
Aw. Gotta edit my list of checks. I hate editing, that stupid tag at the bottom completely makes a post look ugly... like a reject...

Look in Emboar's thread, I just posted a sexy Chaobuu.

Btw... same Random Rider from OMF?

I can't help but think max attack might be worth it on poliwhirl. It gives you nearly a 50% boost to your damage.

Also, I'm not sure if all that speed is really necessary. 216 EVs outspeeds Scarf Mewtwo (and other scarf base 130s) in the rain. The other 36 EVs can be used to boost his other stats.

I can't help but think max attack might be worth it on poliwhirl. It gives you nearly a 50% boost to your damage.

Also, I'm not sure if all that speed is really necessary. 216 EVs outspeeds Scarf Mewtwo (and other scarf base 130s) in the rain. The other 36 EVs can be used to boost his other stats.
The max Speed is to beat other Swift Swimmers, especially other Poliwhirl who can shut this down via Hypnosis and start their own Poli-sweeps. Kingdra as well, without screens Poliwhirl wont survive Outrage or Draco Meteor.

Max Attack does make Poliwhirl that much more dangerous, but exposes it more and more to priority as it's HP drops. You can pull the defense EVs away in order in more effectively score OHKOs, but I'd personally stop at 16 HP / 184 Defense / 56 Attack which is when Adamant LO Techniloom can't score a KO without SR, while boosting Whirl's drummed attack stat 56 points (664 -> 720).

Of course, if you're Wishpassing or Screening, ignore bulk and max Attack for a guaranteed kill against any team not using the same pokemon and getting a speed tie. This thing is beastly.

Added another few semi-checks to the post and a summary of what they do. And I updated Mantyke.

*Unlimited Whirl Works*
Swift Swim
- Return - A.K.A. if you're not Burungera or Empoleon, DIE.

339 Defense
122 Sp. Attack (bah)
204 Sp. Defense
612 Speed

Checks:
Nattorei until tutors make Ice Punch available again...

EDIT: Shedinja's a solid check. Thanks to Random Rider for pointing it out.

Some current OU/Uber Water or Dragon types can usually switch in during the Drum to kill or revenge kill. Altaria, Ninetales, and Groudon can do so as well.

EDIT2: Another few switch-during-Drum/revenge checks:
Anything with Sash/Sturdy
LO +spd Lumineon w/ HP Grass/Electric
CB Floatzel. An iffy check though
Luvdisc + Sash and Psych Up. What's scarier than having a +6 Luvdisc's Waterfall hit you?
Mischievous Heart + status move

Sturdy's the biggest issue, but all Probopass can do to you is Toxic or Explode (so you're getting your guaranteed kill anyway), and all Skarm does is Whirlwind (he doesn't even have Sturdy if SR's in play). Mischievous Heart Erufuun can Stun Spore you but will die in the process 62.5% of the time. Everything else is NU gimmick.

And notice, I ran NO attack EVs. Other than the 40% chance hypnosis misses, you're pretty screwed to lose at least one pokemon if you don't have a check to switch into Drum, because Whirl resists Bullet Punch (CB Techni Adamant Scizor's does 21-24%) and Aqua Jet (CB Adamant Azumarill's does 23-27% with drizzle's boost) and without SR, won't even die from CB Techniloom's Mach Punch (41-49%), Specs Lucario's Vacuum Wave (42-49%), or Dragonite's... nvm, RAYQUAZA'S CB ExtremeSpeed (41-48%). Note: with Rocks damage, Whirl can still die a lot from the LO versions of each attack, so keep a spinner. The only priority attack that exists to beat this thing without SR's help is Arceus' CB ExtremeSpeed (52-61%), and if you're lucky Arceus' Life Orbed ExtremeSpeed one in three tries. WOW, this pokemon got an insane upgrade from Gen IV.

Put this poke on a team with a good wish passer (or better yet, screens because no Brick Break user will survive two turns against Whirl and Whirl could survive almost any move any check but Ninetales or Groudon would possess), and it will strike HORROR into the opponent several times. Again, a spinner is mandatory.
Doesn't Scarf Ditto revenge this? Granted he revenges alot of things that set up but it will use your own sweep against you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)