Flat Battle / Random Battle Discussion

It's funny because that she is probably a he.
Please don't start that crap. :/

Most people I know who play pokemon are female. :P

Weather teams I bump into (usually sand) seem to be quite fragile with only 3 pokes to play with instead of 6, it seems to be much easier to break chains as well.

Please don't start that crap. :/

Most people I know who play pokemon are female. :P

Weather teams I bump into (usually sand) seem to be quite fragile with only 3 pokes to play with instead of 6, it seems to be much easier to break chains as well.
Ok, Ok. Anyone have any encounters with FEARs?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mostly Donphan which is actually very annoying. Haven't seen Aron except on a Battle Video

Today's log: Swapped Fire Blast for Flare Blitz on Blaziken, Two in game mashups (>__>), FEAR Donphan, a couple of uninteresting matches, and a guy with 1223 wins using a Sand Team.

His trainer card was black as opposed to everyone else's white. Blaziken was gonna 3-0 but Hi Jump Kick missed on the first attacking turn. Regardless, Gliscor 3-0ed him instead.

I've gone ahead and set up the singles, doubles, and triples flat battle metagames on Smogon's Create-A-Pokemon server while the rest of Policy Review decides if they want these metagames on the main server or not. I've tested the banlists and functionality and everything seems to work. If you're interested in practicing matches or something, you might give it a try. In case you can't find it on the server list, which you should, the advanced connection is 184.91.46.219:5080

If it hasn't already been brought up, can someone with experience describe the mechanics of the rated mode? i.e. compare/contrast with, for instance, the PO ladder and its own point system? So Sprocket could put it in the OP and people could read it firsthand. Thanks for your troubles ahead of time.

If it hasn't already been brought up, can someone with experience describe the mechanics of the rated mode? i.e. compare/contrast with, for instance, the PO ladder and its own point system? So Sprocket could put it in the OP and people could read it firsthand. Thanks for your troubles ahead of time.
I've been looking into it, but I couldn't find anything on detailed mechanics. The main reason? World wide ranks aren't up yet. :)

Every three months, they hand out prizes (in the form of avatars and such) to the top players.

VGC will have a separate online ladder, so it doesn't tie in with GBU.

You start at a rank of 1500, and gain/lose points for wins and losses respectively. I suspect it'll probably be an ELO type system, so how many points you change by each match will depend on who you play.

Each type of battle is ranked separately, wondershooter also has its own ladder.

I've been looking into it, but I couldn't find anything on detailed mechanics. The main reason? World wide ranks aren't up yet. :)

Every three months, they hand out prizes (in the form of avatars and such) to the top players.

VGC will have a separate online ladder, so it doesn't tie in with GBU.

You start at a rank of 1500, and gain/lose points for wins and losses respectively. I suspect it'll probably be an ELO type system, so how many points you change by each match will depend on who you play.

Each type of battle is ranked separately, wondershooter also has its own ladder.
Cool, thanks for the info. What I'm wondering about the ranking system is actually very general: Do you gain increments of, say, 10? 50? 100? on average? Are the highest scores around 2500, or 8000? I don't really need intimate knowledge of the system, I just want to get a feel for it before it comes out.

You'll probably have to wait a bit before you can get even that. It doesn't seem like a lot of people did Ranking when the GL was up for the JP versions, and it's down now so...

Well, it's not something I *need* to know, I was just curious. Obviously if it can't be found, I don't want anybody to break his back trying to find it. Thanks for the other info though.

Well, it's not something I *need* to know, I was just curious. Obviously if it can't be found, I don't want anybody to break his back trying to find it. Thanks for the other info though.
I was assuming ELO because it's actually the most common. That and that 1500 rating, which is the start for ELO type systems, is suspicious.

It's a bit complicated, but there's a page for elo up on wikipedia, if you're wondering about how the math behind it works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

I can sum it up real quick. If you lose to someone who's better than you, you lose a small amount of points. If you lose to someone worse than you, you lose more points. If you win against someone better than you, you gain more points. And if you win against someone worse than you, you gain a small amount of points.

Thank you, that was what I was looking for. I wanted a feel for it and that provided it; in my example, I asked if it was closer to 2500 tops versus 8000, etc. and that basically answered it. Some games give HUGE jumps in points for trivial accomplishments, just to puff up the player and make them want to keep playing, and I'm glad to see Game Freak was a little more conservative with their grading system (Assuming they are following ELO, which, with a 1500 point start, it seems they probably are).

Although, I did already assume what you said in your summary; I had a pretty good feeling it wasn't going to be a rigid "You win, you get 10 points, you lose, you lose 10 points" type of system. If PO can do something much more sophisticated than that, then surely the company that made the game can too.

The rating system is similar to Magic's then, huh?

EDIT: lol sorry off-topic.

I just can't decide what kind of team to use. I have written down a list of all the pokemon that I would possibly use, though. I'm leaning towards sandstorm or abuse of clauses.

I just can't decide what kind of team to use. I have written down a list of all the pokemon that I would possibly use, though. I'm leaning towards sandstorm or abuse of clauses.
I'd say sandstorm. I (idk about other people) haven't seen many weather teams over about 117 battles; maybe 4 sun teams and (suprisingly) only 1 rain team. Abuse of clauses... Well... Sleep is sort of hard to abuse (Again, in my case), and evason takes time to pull off, but is "rewarding" if pulled off.

I must say, I'm pretty impressed by Random WiFi; I played PBR for a few years and thought, "If B/W is anything like PBR, I'll go 100-0 easy."; But actually it's almost completely opposite; Almost every team is Ev'd, and there are few in-game teams (along with no uber abuse). I hope rating isn't cheap (Darn fissure Gastrodons would absolutely KILL my rating...)

The rating system is similar to Magic's then, huh?

EDIT: lol sorry off-topic.

DCI uses ELO, so probably similar yes. :)

As far as teams, if you're making a sandstorm team be ready to face lots of mirrors, they're extremely common on ladder. People also disconnect fairly fast, as soon as their key poke is down, they dc on you. What's funny is, for free play, only you can see your losses, nobody else... xD

Mainly Aron and Donphan. Special mention goes out to Aron, who I've started running Reuniclus just to fuck it over. Endeavor leaves it with... 12 HP, whereas you can just Recover stall it seeing how Endeavor has 8PP at most. Same applies to Donphan.

I've found a Nosepass, which didn't do much, I can't exactly remember what happened, but I know that it only damaged my Zoroark with Pain Split then poisoned it.

Also, I love Random Matchup, as I liked PBR but with this, there are much more skilled players so since it's not like PBR much, I don't have to humiliate Uber-abusers anymore by sweeping them with my Guts Taillow :3

For those who've had a good amount of experience with random wi-fi: have you guys noticed a lot of sleep spamming going around due to lack of sleep clause? It seems like something like SubPunch Breloom can really tear entire teams apart if you're not packing a dedicated sleep counter.

For those who've had a good amount of experience with random wi-fi: have you guys noticed a lot of sleep spamming going around due to lack of sleep clause? It seems like something like SubPunch Breloom can really tear entire teams apart if you're not packing a dedicated sleep counter.
Actually, with ~60 battles, I haven't seen a Breloom/Smeargle once.

Right now, I'm in a battle with a dude that has 1902 wins, he's using this (I haven't seen the rest of his team yet):

Eelektross @ Chesto Berry
Brave (I think)
Levitate
Dunno EV's, most likely in HP/Atk though
Coil
Zap Cannon
Dragon Tail
Rest

It's stalled out my team of Zoroark, Serperior and Whimsicott (the set I posted in the Whimsi thread) so far, with my Whimsi now spamming Double Team with +6 Defense, Leech Seed up, and +5 Evasion :P

DCI uses ELO, so probably similar yes. :)

As far as teams, if you're making a sandstorm team be ready to face lots of mirrors, they're extremely common on ladder. People also disconnect fairly fast, as soon as their key poke is down, they dc on you. What's funny is, for free play, only you can see your losses, nobody else... xD
eh, I'm gonna go with sandstorm and some other things, like CP Sigilyph. Reinculus Seems fun as well.

Disconnecting sucks pretty bad, but It happens. Like a Yugioh (lol) game I used to have. People DCed all the damn time.

eh, I'm gonna go with sandstorm and some other things, like CP Sigilyph. Reinculus Seems fun as well.

Disconnecting sucks pretty bad, but It happens. Like a Yugioh (lol) game I used to have. People DCed all the damn time.
I'm looking forward to a Wifi-accessable Yugioh game..

But back on-topic, I suggest you do use Reuniclus, it takes hits well, and with Trickorb it's fairly effective against physical attackers. Usually, mine doesn't take hits well from the special side, but that's only because it's Modest with 252HP/252SpA, but I usually don't have problems with physical attacks.

If you do use one, I recommend Recover over Thunder-Wave, or if you wanna use both, drop the extra coverage move (Thunder/EnergyBall/ShadowBall) for it. Or if you're using a Trickorb one, then I guess use Trick over T-Wave :P

I'm looking forward to a Wifi-accessable Yugioh game..

But back on-topic, I suggest you do use Reuniclus, it takes hits well, and with Trickorb it's fairly effective against physical attackers. Usually, mine doesn't take hits well from the special side, but that's only because it's Modest with 252HP/252SpA, but I usually don't have problems with physical attacks.

If you do use one, I recommend Recover over Thunder-Wave, or if you wanna use both, drop the extra coverage move (Thunder/EnergyBall/ShadowBall) for it. Or if you're using a Trickorb one, then I guess use Trick over T-Wave :P
Could I have an example, please?

Could I have an example, please?
Well, for damage calculations, I'm not sure how to do those (Never been able to do them before) but with Trickorb, it was able to take my Jolly max Attack Garchomp's Dragon Claws at full health with about 75% HP left, then proceeded to Trick me a Flame Orb and made my Chomp useless :L

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)