Flat Battle / Random Battle Discussion

I have been using my RNG'ed 4th gen Pokemon in the Random Singles so far since I haven't bothered to breed/raise any new 5th gens yet, but its frustrating since everytime I am about to win a battle my opponent quits on me. I have 0 wins on my trainer card because of this, I have yet to have someone take their loss like a man.
In the past two days I have seen no fewer than 10 ragequits. It's not exlusive to NA players either; I've seen roughly the same number of D/Cs from every place on Earth so far. Bad sportsmanship doesn't discriminate.

I can kind of understand how someone would D/C to not give their opponent a win if that opponent would have won by ridiculous crithax in combination with a terrible, unworthy team. But when your opponent beat you with an obviously more capable team? I don't quit when some 200+ win JP player steamrolls me, what do you gain over your opponent by quitting except spite?

I ragequit one time, to a player with QC Salamence that kept activating, in tandem with a Double Teamer who had Guillotine. In spite of still feeling that he didn't deserve to win, it is a nasty, shameful feeling to quit and deprive someone of a win, and I regret it wholeheartedly. The person deprived of his win will forget that I did that, but I'll probably never forget that I ragequit.

I'd like people to know that D/Cing on purpose is petty and self-destructive, but I doubt most of them read Smogon anyhow.

EDIT: I'd also like (or have liked) Nintendo to implement a couple things: D/Cs count as forfeits (Even if this meant getting a loss from an accidental D/C, most people I think would still agree to it) and, as an incentive to stay on, what PBR had: Exchange trainer cards, and by getting a lot of cards from other people, one would get a reward. This would keep people staying until the end, I think.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I'm almost embarassed to say, but Chandelure is an amazing Lead in this format, especially if your opponent forgets about Fire immunity from Flash Fire. If you can get a Flash Fire boost plus a Flame Charge or two, you'll potentially sweep teams that don't resist your attacks.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Modest, 4 Def / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
Flash Fire
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Flame Charge
-Energy Ball

I also bumped into an interesting Steelix, which threw me off guard.

Steelix @ Quick Claw
Sturdy
-Earthquake
-Dragon Tail
- ???
- ???

I don't see the purpose of Quick Claw, which doesn't help Dragon Tail much at all. Were there other moves you saw used that you can remember?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I don't see the purpose of Quick Claw, which doesn't help Dragon Tail much at all. Were there other moves you saw used that you can remember?
Nope, because Quick Claw triggered twice on Earthquake, and OHKO'd my 'mons. And note that I said interesting, which doesn't necessarily imply good or bad.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I just had the most LOL random battle. I wouldn't even call it a battle, as it was one of the most one-sided battles I've ever played.

My Anti-Weather Raikou, taking the lead spot:

Raikou @ Expert Belt
Pressure
Rash, 4HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice
-Focus Blast
-Weather Ball

Versus a very blatant rain abuse team:

-Politoed w/ Drizzle
-Kingdra w/ Swift Swim
-Poliwrath w/ Swift Swim

My Raikou swept rediculously easy by spamming Thunder. Kingdra could have stopped Raikou, but no less than 2 Hydro Pump misses in a row ensured that didn't happen.

And in a battle shortly after that, by far the most unexpected Pokemon ever: A female Charizard that used Attract, and successfully put a hard stop to my team of Male Pokemon. From now on, Female Pokemon only on my team ...

for some reason, japan players never get stunned by togekiss thunder wave/air slash combo. I mean what is the percentage of getting through that unscathed with serene grace in effect? makes meh so mad.

This never works.
Almost every single person I ever fought on PBR declined sharing the cards
Actually, I traded them when my inventory for them had space. I liked seeing the interesting teams that people had, like I played against Magcargos and Plusles, Camerupts and once a Murkrow (I had a team with a Murkrow of my own, on my NFE team; a lot of people wanted my pass when I used that team lol)

yea random wifi is reli lame. I just hate how certain items are banned (aka almost all usefull berries) so that shatters most my teams combo's ect. Also, ppl are abusing OHKO moves to the max its super annoying-no problems yet with sleep clause. I obey it myself of course just due to respect. I ALSO really hate how you have to train your own guys to lv 100 -_-

yea random wifi is reli lame. I just hate how certain items are banned (aka almost all usefull berries) so that shatters most my teams combo's ect. Also, ppl are abusing OHKO moves to the max its super annoying-no problems yet with sleep clause. I obey it myself of course just due to respect. I ALSO really hate how you have to train your own guys to lv 100 -_-
I haven't heard of any items being banned (aside from soul dew). Are you sure it's not item clause kicking in?

I have yet to run into anyone using OHKO moves , they strike me as risky. They might get you an occasional win, but most of the time it's a losing strategy. Were they abusing No Guard or Lock On or similar moves?

This never works.
Almost every single person I ever fought on PBR declined sharing the cards
Yeah, now that I think about it it took ages to get the 60 cards for Rayquaza. But it couldn't actively hurt, I don't think, only take some effort implementing it from Game Freak.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Yeah, now that I think about it it took ages to get the 60 cards for Rayquaza. But it couldn't actively hurt, I don't think, only take some effort implementing it from Game Freak.
Unfortunately it would have to wait until Pokemon "Grey", as Black and White aren't able to be updated.

Unfortunately it would have to wait until Pokemon "Grey", as Black and White aren't able to be updated.
Right, that's what I mean; unfortunately, that also means starting your record over, unless (and I doubt it) they let you carry over your record somehow.

Really lame format. It's decided almost entirely by who picks the right pokemon, and 90% of wins aren't recorded due to disconnecters. Double Team/Minimize users almost make it unplayable.

But hey, it's something to do. I'd rather have it than not have it. My eviolite Porygon2 is almost unbeatable in this format, which is really cool.

If Double Team is a problem, use Aerial Ace Eviolite Scyther. Seriously, with SR being rather uncommon there, I see SD variants beinig pretty effective.

I don't really want to go through the trouble of hatching and raising a scyther just for random matchups lol.

Cool thing that just happened: switch Pory2 into gliscor fling, get poisoned, trace poison heal, ???, profit.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
If Double Team is a problem, use Aerial Ace Eviolite Scyther. Seriously, with SR being rather uncommon there, I see SD variants beinig pretty effective.
This. Not to mention Scyther is a powerful sweeper in its own right in this format. Scyther's STAB Technician Aerial Ace is also very painful versus Fighting types, which are very common this generation, and packs as much punch as a Scizor's STAB Technician Bullet Punch. Coupled with Scyther's very high speed and it's basically a pseudo-Bullet Punch.

Evasion abusers are very infrequent in my experience. Guaranteed accuracy moves like Aura Sphere and Aerial Ace definitely help out, but aren't necessary. I did come across a Rapidash that utilized Hypnosis + Horn Drill to excellent effect; the only counter to that is a ghost type.

Blissey and Cresselia are amazingly effective in this format. A Blissey that packs Counter and perhaps Focus Sash can KO any physical attacker that's not a Ghost, and is still able to act as a power special wall. Cresselia can wall all day and night as long as there's no Dark and Bug types in use.

Dragon types are fairly common, especially Haxorus. Like I said, Mold Breaker fills an amazing niche in this format, totally countering such abilities as Sturdy and Levitate.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Blissey and Cresselia are amazingly effective in this format. A Blissey that packs Counter and perhaps Focus Sash can KO any physical attacker that's not a Ghost, and is still able to act as a power special wall. Cresselia can wall all day and night as long as there's no Dark and Bug types in use.
Are there many Psychic-types used? I would think that Psyshock would be the Psychic attack of choice, since it deals damage against Blissey's weaker physical defense but can't be reflected by Counter.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Are there many Psychic-types used? I would think that Psyshock would be the Psychic attack of choice, since it deals damage against Blissey's weaker physical defense but can't be reflected by Counter.
It depends if you count dual-type Psychics or not. I see Metagross, Bronzong, the Latios twins, and Gallade all the time. I also see a lot of Gardevoir and Cresselia, and occasionally Reuniclus, Espeon, and Slowbro. I rarely see other Psychics beyond those.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sprocket,

I actually tried the Random Matchup for Rotation Battles yesterday, and it turns out you only bring 4 Pokemon, not 6. Thought you might want to update the first post.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Sprocket,

I actually tried the Random Matchup for Rotation Battles yesterday, and it turns out you only bring 4 Pokemon, not 6. Thought you might want to update the first post.
I already did. You do bring up to 6 Pokemon, but you pick 4 of them. So it's similar to doubles in that regard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)