Flavourmons: what if you took the flavor text literally? (no OHKO or Auto-Win effects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contact moves make foes' further attacks unable to damage anything. Resets upon swithing
This is a terrible idea, to out it bluntly. If you implement this you are taking away the main way to knock out blissey, plus not only giving you a free turn to do whatever you want as your foe switches, but if they don't switch or if its their last mon, you have taken all the skill out of the fight, as you can do whatever the hell you want to them and they can't do jack shit to you.

I will ask once more, please try to think of flavorful and balanced entries. If this will ever make it to a real metagame, it can't have this cheap and overpowered shit just to buff a favorite mon or try and wind up overcompensating a bad mon in an attempt to make it viable.

Edit:

Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but shouldn't it be rough skin? It threatens attackers with the chance of being hurt by the keys? (You know, like the rough part)

Comments in bold.
None of those seem especially bad, until we reach Emboar, oh Emboar. You are giving Emboar stab on literally every single attack it has with your first suggestion, or giving it a completely worthless buff with the second. I don't know what that was trying to accomplish.

Edit:

Oo, this looks like fun.

Avalugg:
(X) Its ice-covered body is as hard as steel. Its cumbersome frame crushes anything that stands in its way.
Secondary Steel-typing and equipped with Rollout/Body Slam.
Avalugg should, to me, instead gain heavy metal and heavy slam.

Manaphy:
(Pearl) Water makes up 80% of its body. This Pokémon is easily affected by its environment.
Equipped with Forecast and Weather Ball.
I agree with the last person to comment on this, and think it should instead be a simple effect such as "the effects of terrain moves have twice their effect on Manaphy." Forecast is not a good idea in any right.

Emboar:
(B2&W2) A flaring beard of fire is proof that it is fired up. It is adept at using many different moves.
Equipped with Mimic, Me First, and Copycat.
While the dex says "adept at using many different moves", your idea says "adept at using trickery to imitate an opponent", not mentioning that none of one moves are viable in the competitive scene. To me, I think we should avoid just slapping on extra moves if we can, as that is a marginally weaker buff then most others, and game freak really already handles balance in regards to flavor in movepools, granted not always making sense, but I still think we should leave it alone., even though I suggested an extra move for Avalugg, but really, what could be done for that entry?
Comments in bold.

Last edited:
For Emboar I was thinking that being adept at many different moves = adaptability for many different moves.

Emboar is already low tier material, and gaining stab on all moves isn't really all that much of a reason to use him still when you consider that quite a bit of pokemon get some good boosts as well.

Last edited:
So how exactly would this metagame actually be created to play? You'd have to redo every single pokemon's stats and abilities (including all nfes) surely, since even nfes might have flavour text that propels them into viability.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Steelix:

Pokemon Y: It chews its way through boulders with its sturdy jaws. Its eyes can see in the darkness underground

Steelix gets Strong Jaw

Nidoqueen:

Black 2 and White 2: Its entire body is armored with hard scales. It will protect the young in its burrow with its life.

Nidoqueen gets Multiscale

Octillery:

In Gold: It traps enemies with its suction-cupped tenacles, then smashes them with its rock-hard head.

Thus, Octillery has Rock Head.

Toxicroak: Its knuckle claws secrete a toxin so vile that even a scratch could prove fatal. (Diamond/Y)

Therefore, Toxicroak's contact moves have a chance to inflict Toxic.

Dang, gold. You really cracked down on this thread man. Respect +10.
Toxicroak: Its knuckle claws secrete a toxin so vile that even a scratch could prove fatal. (Diamond/Y)

Therefore, Toxicroak's contact moves have a chance to inflict Toxic.
This actually makes sense as it has Poison Touch as is and would only require a quick change for it to become badly poisoned over regularly poisoned

S0L1D G0LD I really think you're missing the point of creating a new meta. Sure you want something balanced and fun to play but especially with this concept for strictly adhering to the dex entires, there are going to be ridiculous changes. That's the fun of it. I say hold it back a little when responding to people with feedback. Although people really do need to read past posts instead of blurting out things that have already been mentioned...

S0L1D G0LD I really think you're missing the point of creating a new meta. Sure you want something balanced and fun to play but especially with this concept for strictly adhering to the dex entires, there are going to be ridiculous changes. That's the fun of it. I say hold it back a little when responding to people with feedback. Although people really do need to read past posts instead of blurting out things that have already been mentioned...
I understand how to create a meta game just fine. I don't understand why people come in here, don't even read the last few pages, ignore rules, and post blatant shit just to buff a favorite or try to find the most powerful entry they can find.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I understand how to create a meta game just fine. I don't understand why people come in here, don't even read the last few pages, ignore rules, and post blatant shit just to buff a favorite or try to find the most powerful entry they can find.
Exactly, if people didn't post stuff like auto win Victini then both this thread and the metagame would be quite fun

It is fun! Usually.
Now let's talk about Lickilicky.
Platinum: The long tongue is always soggy with slobber. The saliva contains a solvent that causes numbness.
Wrap, Lick, and Power Whip all get a 40% chance to paralyze? (Lick already has a 30%, and I doubt it would be broken considering it's abysmal speed and mediocre attack.)
Thoughts?

Scrafty (from pokemon black): Groups of them beat up anything that enters their territory. Each can spit acidic liquid from its mouth.
Beat up and acid spray

How about my favorite fossil Pokemon, Archeops?

They are intelligent and will cooperate to catch prey. From the ground, they use a running start to take flight. (Black/X)

So, what can we infer from this? Well, it takes a bit for Archeops to get flying as evidenced by this Pokedex entry. So, why not give it the equally terrible ability Slow Start?

(It's not even an improvement, it might even make it worse XD)

How about my favorite fossil Pokemon, Archeops?

They are intelligent and will cooperate to catch prey. From the ground, they use a running start to take flight. (Black/X)

So, what can we infer from this? Well, it takes a bit for Archeops to get flying as evidenced by this Pokedex entry. So, why not give it the equally terrible ability Slow Start?

(It's not even an improvement, it might even make it worse XD)
it seems to me this implies either analytic or speed boost. saying as we want a balanced meta give it analytic.

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
How the heck is it going to be possible to make a realistic meta out of this? I mean, with all the stupidly complex modifications it's going to be almost impossible to program.
I don't think anyone noticed this comment....

but that's true... how the hell could this even be implemented? there's just so many pokemon to do

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Watchog

Pokemon Black: When they see an enemy, their tails stand high, and they spit the seeds of berries stored in their cheek pouches.

Watchog gets Cheek Pouch over Analytic. Watchog can also now learn Bullet Seed

Last edited:
Aerodactyl:
Y:
This vicious Pokémon is said to have flown in ancient skies while shrieking high-pitched cries.

So Aerodactyl needs Disarming Voice/Screech?

Volcarona:
BW2:

Thought to be an embodiment of the sun, it appeared during a bitterly cold winter and saved Pokémon from freezing.

So, Volcarona should have Magma Armor? Then again...

Black:

When volcanic ash darkened the atmosphere, it is said that Volcarona's fire provided a replacement for the sun.

So could Volcarona have drought also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)