Framerate/lag issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I battle, animations are always like laggy and not smooth like I think they should. Also when i type there is a delay. I do not have a gaming computer but it's annoying to deal with. Anyone have a solution?

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was using IE7 and had the similar problem. I would say 90% of the time I've answered this question for people it's been Internet Explorer based, not hardware based, just switch to something else (I use Chrome now with 0 problems).

serious don't use IE unless you have to folks there's a reason why IE is known in other browser circles as "the browser you use to get a better browser."

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I thought I already blocked IE versions below 9 because of this exact issue? o_o

Fun fact: The fact that we use socket.io instead of raw websockets, just to support IE9, is currently the reason for any remaining lag you may experience.

I am using Google Chrome and am having difficulty even connecting to the server. If the client and server do manage to load, the page freezes within a minute, forcing me to kill it and attempt to connect again.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Me and others are using Chrome with zero problems, are you sure you don't have too many tabs open over a long period of time? It's good to close the browser at the end of the day and clear all the processes.

hi, personally i think that the simulator is pretty glitchy even for just being in BETA version i can't even select anything it just freezes. it makes me so mad

Me and others are using Chrome with zero problems, are you sure you don't have too many tabs open over a long period of time? It's good to close the browser at the end of the day and clear all the processes.
I closed my browser about two hours ago. I'll do so again and see if I have an easier time getting on.

Also, let me ask this. Are you guys also lagging like crap?

Something I'd like to bring up:

I can (and sometimes do) monitor lag on Smogon PO / PS. It's actually really easy to do, without even being "on" either program.

I remote into the server and run top. It gives me an output like this:

node = PS
Server = PO

The relevant column is "%CPU." When that's maxed out at 100, the server is lagging (anything less than 100, and it's fine). In watching the servers, I see Server hit 100 far more than node. And when Server hits 100, it tends to stay there for a lot longer.

Now you want to know how many users are currently on Showdown? 382.

How about PO, which is lagging MORE and HARDER? 151.

In other words, PO lags WORSE with HALF as many users logged on.*

I'm not saying that PS' lag issues aren't real and don't need to be fixed. But I *am* saying that moving to PS is a step in the right direction.

*For PO, at least, lag isn't so much about the number of users logged in as the number that are TRYING to log in. The way we limit lag on PO is to only let two people log in every ten seconds.

Anyone else had troubles playing this on an iOS device? I've tried it on my iPhone 4 and it's very laggy, freezing often. I do not say it is totally unplayable, but trust me after one or two battles at most you'll log out since the experience is absolutely not funny.

Both on my laptop and desktop pc with firefox it works more than fine, instead.

Yeah. I also experience the same lagging problems on Google Chrome. I restarted my computer and ran Showdown after reboot. Still lagged a bit, and I checked that none of the problems were from my processor or any of that. It really becomes annoying to play after a while.

Anyone else had troubles playing this on an iOS device? I've tried it on my iPhone 4 and it's very laggy, freezing often. I do not say it is totally unplayable, but trust me after one or two battles at most you'll log out since the experience is absolutely not funny.

Both on my laptop and desktop pc with firefox it works more than fine, instead.
Same here..
Playing on a phone is very laggy but I guess thats fine as its still in beta....
Oh btw I tried playing it on the google chrome app and its a less laggy...(well for me)
PS! works fine on my computer sometimes it disconnects though..
If its ok can you guys make a way to toggle the chat? Sometimes its just annoying.. and causing some lag?..

If its ok can you guys make a way to toggle the chat? Sometimes its just annoying.. and causing some lag?..
I believe it could be useful on mobile devices. Since (at least on my iPhone) I believe it's not a matter of bandwidth but more of computational power I think that having the ability to remove optional contents (like the chat) could improve performances (as long as the chat is not loaded at all, of course if it's only hidden then it wouldn't change much)

Yamata no Orochi

dreamenddischarger
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I use Google Chrome and the tab freezes before I can even TOUCH the password login bar. I know it wasn't like this before so I hope it gets fixed soon.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Keeping only a few teams on PS at a time actually helps the lag quite a bit, or so I've noticed. Not a ton, but it helps. Back them up on Notepad if you don't want them gone.

I use Google Chrome and the tab freezes before I can even TOUCH the password login bar. I know it wasn't like this before so I hope it gets fixed soon.
Same. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps provided to me and nothing has yet to resolve my lag / freezing issue.

As a disclaimer, I am not intending to insult or otherwise criticize the developers of Pokemon Showdown with my constant complaining. However, in future instances, could you please get your stuff together before promoting a service that is officially supported by the site? Either that or don't switch to something that is still in its beta stages. Thanks.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
After experiencing some lag issues with Chrome, I tried out Opera web browser and the lag seemed to be less. It may have been just because it was a fresh browser that I had not been using / clogging up with tabs and cookies, but it's worth a shot for anyone having issues. Opera has been smoother for me so far, but I'll try it again more when I see more lag on Chrome.

edit: yeah, opera is definitely working better than chrome for me.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Same. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps provided to me and nothing has yet to resolve my lag / freezing issue.

As a disclaimer, I am not intending to insult or otherwise criticize the developers of Pokemon Showdown with my constant complaining. However, in future instances, could you please get your stuff together before promoting a service that is officially supported by the site? Either that or don't switch to something that is still in its beta stages. Thanks.
Moving to PS! this early was not in the plan; however, they had to support it before they intended to (and before it was finished) because PO is basically empty right around now and also lagging even worse than PS! (although if you're having tech support issues and not just general lag, we're currently running dual support right now so you can feel free to use PO until the issue is solved!)

gah people bitch so much

I'm having so much lag for my kindle from it, that it crashes every single time I use it. and no, I'm not using the silk browser, I'm using firefox.

Moving to PS! this early was not in the plan; however, they had to support it before they intended to (and before it was finished) because PO is basically empty right around now and also lagging even worse than PS! (although if you're having tech support issues and not just general lag, we're currently running dual support right now so you can feel free to use PO until the issue is solved!)

gah people bitch so much
In this situation, it seems like it has less to do with Pokemon Showdown and more to do with the servers in question (Since both PS and PO are being supported and lagging like hell).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)