Move1: Focus Punch
Move2: Substitute
Move3: Hypnosis
Move4: Night Slash / Shadow Sneak / Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch / Leaf Blade
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant / Jolly

Why this set should be on Smogon:
-Carries a sleep move, outclassing most other SubPunchers.
-Gets STAB on Focus Punch, as most SubPunchers don't.
-Can have any of the following:
-Priority
-A secondary STAB
-Another move to provide perfect coverage on everything (bar Toxicroak).
-A super effective move on flying Pokemon.
-A move to help it against bulky waters.
How Gallade outclasses Breloom:
-Can pull off great coverage with two STABs.
-Has priority.
-Has superior stats (wins in everything except attack and defense, barely).

Evs:
-To maximize Attack and Speed, Adamant is preffered.

Team partners:
-A pokemon to get rocks up, as flying pokemon resist it's best move.
-Blissey can help get most Gengar out of the picture.
-Magnezone can take out Skarmory, which is really annoying with this set as it can Shirlwind away your subs, and hit you with super effective Brave Bird.

Counters:
-Swellow, but in OU? (Maybe Starraptor).
-Gengar OHKOs with Timid LO Shadowball, but Choice Scarf variants never OHKO and can be OHKOd by Night Slash or 2HKOd by Shadow Sneak (because of priority).
-Skarmory, as also mentioned above.
-If you decide to run Night slash, Leaf blade, or Ice punch, Toxicroak can set up subs as you struggle to hit with even neutrally powered moves or switch out, but Toxicroak in OU?

Thanks in advance.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
So, yeah... What are you actually setting this thing up on? Is having that better coverage better than having Breloom's extra power, Poison Heal, accurate Sleep, better typing and the ability to set up on and beat Water-types?

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seeing as Gallade is BL, all mentions of UU Pokemon should be taken out since they're not mentioned in the analysis either.
The other two most common Subpunchers are Breloom and Poliwrath, so the STAB thing is sort of a moot point. Both have better ways of recovering health than Leftovers - Poison Heal and Water Absorb respectively.
The other STAB move is Psychic, not much better coverage than Breloom's Seed Bomb to be honest. While you can beat Fighting Breloom is more useful at scaring off Bulky Waters.

Generally, having a STAB Close Combat is better than using the SubPunch strategy (unless you have lots of bulk or lack a good STAB, both of which Gallade lacks), so I'd say this set is outclassed by the normal SD set or even a sub+ 3 attacks set. Oh yeah and Breloom is 200% better.
And that's A LOT of slashes.

Breloom literally does everything better and doesnt have to have 124234 different slashes in the last moveslot.

edit: I was thinking about this though, and why not a sub + 3 attacks set? Something like:

-Substitute
-Close Combat
-Psycho Cut
-Stone Edge / Ice Punch

might work, it would be better than SubPunch because you have a chance to retain your Substitute instead of just getting it broken for the chance to fire off a 30 more base power attack. It wouldn't be great and Gallade still kind of sucks, but it would be a set that isn't outclassed by Breloom. Although, its kind of outclassed by Machamp and/or Heracross but you can't have everything.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As stated numerous times before, Breloom does this better in nearly every way. Breloom has a 100% accuracy sleep move, as opposed to Gallade's 60%. Breloom has a slightly higher attack, while Gallade has some special bulk. Breloom also has better resistances. Electric, Water, Ground- all common types, meaning it can set up far easier then Gallade. In addition, its ability heals it 12.5% a turn, meaning if you switch as it Substitutes,, it has gained all of its HP back at the end of the turn you break its Sub. Gallade isn't really breaking through Celebi with Ice Punch either... doing 32.2% - 38.1% to the standard defensive set. Getting through Flying-types is a bad point, as Breloom has Stone Edge.

Well, as many have already said, Breloom pretty much does this so much better. Not to say it's bad, but it's definitely outclassed. However, the one problem Breloom does have is Sleep Clause, and I guess SubPunchers do avoid it. So it has one advantage, but it's not nearly enough to make this set viable.

Please note that Breloom gets great coverage with Grass/Fighting and can use priority if need be, not that I find it particularly useful on a SubPuncher set. Heavily outclassed by Breloom, and I don't see what advantages this has over other Gallade sets. :(

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also, no real reason to use SubPunch when your bulk is terrible and you also have access to STAB Close Combat. This gets a no from me.
^this, you really don't have enough bulk or resistances to set up on anything plus i'd rather just CC and switch or CC twice than sub and focus punch, especially since not being able to utilise a fighting move without a substitute sucks

I understand, and agree with everyone. I just wanted to try something new you know? :) Well I used this when Gallade was UU so it was different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)