Pokémon Gallade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by alexwolf
>>>

Gallade
Psychic/Fighting

68 HP / 125 Atk / 65 Def / 65 SAtk / 115 SDef / 80 Spe >>> 68 HP / 165 Atk / 95 Def / 65 SAtk / 115 SDef / 110 Spe

Abilities: Steadfast/Justified[HA]

Level Up Moves (STAB in bold):
Close Combat
Leaf Blade
Swords Dance
Psycho Cut

TM Moves:
Bulk Up
Taunt
Earthquake
Facade
Will-O-Wisp
Stone Edge
Thunder Wave
X-Scissor
Poison Jab
Substitute

Moves Acquired by Breeding/Tutoring:
Destiny Bond
Disable
Encore
Memento
Shadow Sneak
Zen Headbutt
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Knock Off
Fire Punch
Drain Punch

Potential Movesets:

Medicham 2.0
Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

RIP Medicham. Seriously, there is next to no reason not to use Gallade instead. It's faster, bulkier, has a better movepool, and has a fucking cape. While speculation is typically frowned upon, I think it's safe to say this *RU mon will earn itself a solid place in OU this time around.​

A substitute set should definitely be mentioned with substitute bulk up as an option.

I don't think SD is worth it on this pokemon tbh, I think it is meant to swap in and out and kill with close combat. Maybe set up a sub for a few more kills but SD is not too good without subs because of sableye which will only get more common in ORAS.

A substitute set should definitely be mentioned with substitute bulk up as an option.

I don't think SD is worth it on this pokemon tbh, I think it is meant to swap in and out and kill with close combat. Maybe set up a sub for a few more kills but SD is not too good without subs because of sableye which will only get more common in ORAS.
i may add a sub bulk up set but to say swords dance is bad? dat shit cray

swords dance (combined with dat speed tier) is literally the only reason to use him over mega cham and what makes him so threatening in the first place, and will likely be its most popular set

Wow 3 attacks is really good (even during mence meta but we all know mence is flying to ray's side) [: Rosen doing a grand fine job with the descriptions #thumbsup
i try <3

98 HP / 125 Atk / 65 Def / 65 SAtk / 115 SDef /90 Spe >>> 98 HP / 165 Atk / 95 Def / 65 SAtk / 110 Spe
These base stats are wrong. It's actually 68/125/65/65/115/80 > 68/165/95/65/115/110

Also, SD is definitely great on M-Gallade. Its ability to setup is one of the things that set it apart from M-Medicham(the others are higher speed, better bulk and better movepool). A set with SD/CC/Zen Headbutt/Knock Off or Ice Punch is the best one for it imo

These base stats are wrong. It's actually 68/125/65/65/115/80 > 68/165/95/65/115/110

Also, SD is definitely great on M-Gallade. Its ability to setup is one of the things that set it apart from M-Medicham(the others are higher speed, better bulk and better movepool). A set with SD/CC/Zen Headbutt/Knock Off or Ice Punch is the best one for it imo
nah the stats are right i just forgot to add sdef. fixed

dude the stats are wrong http://i.imgur.com/0Io0kPz.png

but yeah SD!!! Medi's doomed to be BL like pre-aegi ban Hawlucha. and you're totally right, Gallade is very flexible in it's last slot depending on what best supports your team. Got Weavile? no need for ice punch/knock off, give it Will-o-Wisp to mess with checks. Got frail setup sweeper? Give it Memento after you've punched some holes. Got Outrage spam? Give it Poison Jab to deal with Clef and Azu.

dude the stats are wrong http://i.imgur.com/0Io0kPz.png

but yeah SD!!! Medi's doomed to be BL like pre-aegi ban Hawlucha. and you're totally right, Gallade is very flexible in it's last slot depending on what best supports your team. Got Weavile? no need for ice punch/knock off, give it Will-o-Wisp to mess with checks. Got frail setup sweeper? Give it Memento after you've punched some holes. Got Outrage spam? Give it Poison Jab to deal with Clef and Azu.
Actually, you don't even need Poison Jab for Azu:
+2 252 Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 376-444 (93.7 - 110.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
But yeah, Clefable is hard to take down, especially the Unaware variants.

Swords Dance will be the 'standard' set to begin with, but it'll eventually branch out into lots more options like Sub + 3 Attacks, Sub + Bulk Up, 3 Attacks + Wisp/Taunt imo. This thing has the same Speed as Gengar and while its typing + ability don't allow it the same annoyance capability as Gengar, a fast Wisp/Taunt and the like are still really cool options for it.

I think they mean Gallade doesn't have 98 HP too. It has 68.

Swords Dance will be the 'standard' set to begin with, but it'll eventually branch out into lots more options like Sub + 3 Attacks, Sub + Bulk Up, 3 Attacks + Wisp/Taunt imo. This thing has the same Speed as Gengar and while its typing + ability don't allow it the same annoyance capability as Gengar, a fast Wisp/Taunt and the like are still really cool options for it.

I think they mean Gallade doesn't have 98 HP too. It has 68.
fixed. yeh meybe specifically say which one is wrong next time thx

After toying around with a Mega Gallade-based team on ORAS OU for a little while, I think that a 4 Attacks or even a Sub+3 Attacks set can be quite effective; the small issue I've had with Gallade is that, while it can scare away quite a bunch of pokes (expecially when healthy, so that it can take even strong special attacks, SD up, and hit back hard), the Hyper Offensive nature of the (pseudo) metagame at its current state makes SDancing somewhat difficult to pull off: these two sets allow Gallade to either not lose momentum by attacking switch-ins straight off the bat with its superb and colorful coverage or gain momentum by setting up a Substitute to protect it from statuses and possible revenge killers (ex.:Talonflame, Landorus-T, etc) and hit them hard with a coverage move before switching out.

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut
- Knock Off/Ice Punch/Shadow Sneak

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut
- Knock Off/Ice Punch/Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch/Knock Off/Shadow Sneak

Of course, while it may be somewhat true that Medicham can pull these off as well, Gallade has its own set of perks that make them equally (if not more) effective, namely better bulk, a much better movepool and, most importantly, better speed (Gallade can scare away normal Lati@s/Gengar with the threat of a speed tie/Knock Off/Zen Headbutt in the latter's case while Medicham always loses 1v1 against them without a sub up).
All in all, while SD will always be the most effective set, I think that Gallade's excellent movepool and well-placed stats will enhance its versatility in OU up to eleven (as others have already stated it gets so many support moves for an offensive pokemon it's almost ridiculous).
Also Rosen Gallade is RU, not NU. Just sayin' ;)

I can attest to the SD sets awesomeness I even posted a team in the RMT forum using it. Once any faster threats are clear that set goes to town on teams and has the bulk to survive most priority. Zen Headbutt's miss hax has been failing me a lot though lately which can get my Gallade offed before he can sweep.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
First of all, I am seriously disappointed in you Rosen; you didn't make a single Yu-Gi-Oh joke in your list of reasons why Mega Gallade > Mega Medicham. F--, see me after class.

Secondly, Mega Gallade looks like it'll be a notable OU threat even if it doesn't get the usage for some reason. Knock Off and Will-O-Wisp screw over a ton of would-be counters like Jirachi and Slowbro while Destiny Bond and Taunt are Destiny Bond and Taunt.

You could almost do some stallbreaker Mew type stuff with this. Close Combat, Knock Off, WoW, and Taunt could be a great stallbreaker set. You lose Soft-boiled, but gain a very spammable Close Combat in it's place.

Last edited:
Did someone forget to mention that Gallade can switch into Knock off, get a justified boost? Mega stone makes the damage reduced, and it will only hurt a little if a STAB or boosted Knock off, Crawdaunt or bisharp maybe lol..and Gallade forces them out.
There can also be some kind of bulky attacker.
BulkyGlade
Gallade (M) @Gallite/Galladite
Ability: Justified --------> Inner Focus (What a crappy ability)
EV's: Not exactly sure
Adamant nature
-Bulk up
-Substitute
-Drain Punch
-Zen Headbutt/Knock Off/Shadow Sneak

Using Mgallades decent 68/95/115 defenses, gallade can set up with BU, and recover lost HP with Drain Punch. With a sub.
Last move depends. Zen Headbutt gives you your second STAB, Knock off will hit ghosts (Although ZHeadbutt will hit gengar) and remove items, and Shadow Sneak is for Priority.
You COULD replace sub for some other move, maybe ice punch or the slashed in moves..but eh.
As for the EV's, I'm not sure. It could go with max speed max attack, but would that go well with a bulky set? You'll want to take hits while setting up. Perhaps max HP max attack? Physically or Specially defensive? Don't forget Bulk up give +1 attack and +1 defense.

Did someone forget to mention that Gallade can switch into Knock off, get a justified boost? Mega stone makes the damage reduced, and it will only hurt a little if a STAB or boosted Knock off, Crawdaunt or bisharp maybe lol..and Gallade forces them out.
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 118-141 (42.5 - 50.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 145-172 (52.3 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 200-237 (72.2 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 125-148 (45.1 - 53.4%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO

It really can't switch into either of Craw or Bish without getting KOed. Stallbreaker Mew burns it. You lose to Landorus-I if you switch in unevolved because you retain your base 80 speed that turn. That leaves you with some Thundurus-I, some Landorus-T and some Azumarill. Most of them don't run Knock Off on their primary movesets, and their STAB moves almost always get the 2HKO/OHKO. Tyranitar Crunch is honestly your best bet for ever getting a Justified boost. Don't get me wrong, Justified should be the default non-Mega ability, it's just not going to see much use. Gallade is by no means a Knock Off sponge.

Just going to copy-paste what I posted in the ORAS Megas thread:

Bulk Up
########
Gallade @ Galladite
EVs: 160 HP / 96 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge / Knock Off
- Substitute / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Encore

The EVs let you set up 4 Subs, while still letting you live shit. Drain Punch gets that delicious stab and gives you reliable recovery. Yum. Stone Edge gives it some legit 2 move coverage, but Knock Off can remove items and stuff so it's much more spammable, and the last slot can be subs to block leech seed, intimidate, sucker punches and more, while Taunt and Will-O-Wisp are basically just saying "fuck you stall". Encore is also a neat option to let you get setup opportunities. You could do like a fully special defensive EV spread too I guess but I like the speed when it goes up against offense.

But yeah, Gallade is a really good mega to use, even with all of the Mega Salamence spam going on. Top tier for sure tbh.

I still have this feeling M-gallade might just not be OU. I could be wrong, but i think it'll be UU. Too early to predict though.

Ouch not much faith in Gallade? Well if he doesn't make OU it'll only because of usage of broken megas till they are bumped to Ubers in which case I see him as BL till then because I think he'd be too darn strong for UU.
Well, there aren't too many broken megas. I can say M-Mence might be Ubers. M-Bro will probably cause him problems, since Gallades both STABs are resisted, and Knock off probably won't do that much.
And M-Sableye. Both STABS are immune against M-sable, and sable can get a WoW on the first turn.
M-Gallade does get improved defenses though. I think people might need to run other moves to get the other megas
I can see this being BL

Well, there aren't too many broken megas. I can say M-Mence might be Ubers. M-Bro will probably cause him problems, since Gallades both STABs are resisted, and Knock off probably won't do that much.
And M-Sableye. Both STABS are immune against M-sable, and sable can get a WoW on the first turn.
M-Gallade does get improved defenses though. I think people might need to run other moves to get the other megas
I can see this being BL
M.Medicham was quite popular before and M.Gallade is basically a better M.Medicham. He has many options to mess with teams and can be a vicious sweeper when his checks are gone. Again he's just getting less usage because everyone and their grandmother is busy playing with MegaMence, MegaGross and MegaDrill but once the meta settles I see M.Gallade becoming more used in OU.

Reactions: zbr

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
M-Gallade just has a better matchup against offense that M-Cham can only dream of due to better bulk and a more efficient speed tier. This thing is going to have a bunch of good sets too. 3 attacks + SD, 3 attacks + Taunt, Sub, Dbond, Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, Heal Bell. Sucks that its prone to Intimidate unlike its sister M-Gardevoir but regardless this thing is a beast and regardless of its tiering I'm positive it will be a threat in OU considering it has options for almost all styles of play.

Indeed. We also learned from DPP just how good his coverage is - outside of knock Off and Shadow Sneak, he has access to Stone Edge and Ice Punch, both powerful coverage moves.

And yeah, this thing will not only be banned from UU, but Kokoloko will deny it a retest. Probs BL, tbh.

So, this set pretty much sums up the offensive versions of M-Gallade:

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified --> Inner Focus (ya better be happy VGC -_-)
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Close combat
-Zen Headbutt
-Knock Off/Shadow Sneak
-Swords Dance/Will-o-Wisp/Taunt/Substitute/Destiny Bond/Thunder Wave/Heal Bell/Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Shadow Sneak

and that's not even going over the bulkier versions...

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
i like the medicham 2.0 set but i'd go with ice punch as last move so you can catch the incoming lando-t/gliscor. knock off is still a great option but it cant touch mega slowbro anyway which would hope for a burn with scald

+2 252 Atk Gallade Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 158-188 (40.1 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)