Gen 8 Smogon University Usage Statistics Discussion Thread

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor
Pretty surprising that Zamazenta-Crowned sees that much usage I don't think it brings a lot of utility to teams that Zacian-Crowned already does and Choice Band / Choice Scarf Zamazenta seems overall more interesting, but I guess part of it is the hype surrounding the new legendaries.

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor
^ very true, having one thread for announcements and another for discussion would be good, because atm it's one for both which makes it hard to find the actual stats among the metagame discussion. Make one of them admin only and the other free for replies. I'd recommend this one is the marty-only one and the other is for discussion, and both get renamed.

So, what exactly is the point of this thread? Everyone else is using the other one.
The previous threads from Antar in gen 7 used to have the following note in the op:
NOTE: DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD WILL BE LIMITED TO STATISTICS CALCULATIONS, CLARIFICATIONS AND OVERALL TRENDS. DISCUSSIONS OF INDIVIDUAL POKEMON WILL BE DELETED (each Pokemon has its own thread--discuss there). POSTS THAT SIMPLY QUOTE OR REFERENCE STATISTICS WITH PERSONAL COMMENTARY WILL BE DELETED. POSTS DISCUSSING HYPOTHETICAL LOWER TIERS WILL BE DELETED.

Champion Leon

Formerly OM!
The previous threads from Antar in gen 7 used to have the following note in the op:
For BH Gen 8:
Hm. In either case I am very surprised, but happy, to see Darmanitan-Zen Galar make it in the top 30 in all 4 rankings. I see the overall trend in the need for Steel and Dragon coverage is higher this generation, and with its STAB covering both, I am happy to see it get put to good use.

A major trend I see is the either Offense or Defense focus, as besides the cover dogs, it’s rare to see a balanced Pokemon like Type: Null, etc. It seems people were very aware of the biggest threats and knew right away how to counter them, but didn’t realize Dusclops is 8.25% bulkier than Corsola-Galar when they both hold Eviolite, as Coreola has a much higher usage than Dusclops.

It was only a 2 week ladder, but interesting nevertheless.

Is the next uu banlist going to be based on december stats only or an average of november and december stats (since dynamax ban happened I'm not sure how relevant november stats are now) ?

Also will it still be the past 3 months involved in computing tier shifts this gen ? The changes for gen 8 tiering mention removing weighted average but don't give us the duration.

Marty

Always more to find
is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Top Researcher
Research Leader
Is the next uu banlist going to be based on december stats only or an average of november and december stats (since dynamax ban happened I'm not sure how relevant november stats are now) ?

Also will it still be the past 3 months involved in computing tier shifts this gen ? The changes for gen 8 tiering mention removing weighted average but don't give us the duration.
Until every lower tier is formed, all usage will be based on the previous month using the 3-month cutoff of 4.52% to accelerate accurate tier formation. When PU leaves Beta in May we'll start up the usual 3-month shift schedule again, where month 1 will have a quick drop cutoff of 1.53%, month 2 a quick drop cutoff of 2.28%, and month 3 the new standard of 4.52% for drops and rises. Month 2 and month 3 will be averaged evenly with the other month(s) in the cycle, instead of the old 20:4 and 20:3:1, respectively.

How is the release of pokemon home going to be handled for tiering ? Is it going to be ignored and we'll have tiers based on things being available only for half of the month ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)