Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

I actually disagree with the two of you and argue for Surf / Ice Beam / Calm Mind / Rest is the best moveset, too many enemy defensive things that you might end up needing to 1v1 that you can't beat without Ice Beam i.e. Lapras or Ludicolo
I think it's better to set-up a Substitute on passive foes than coverage (especially on Suicune, whom 5th spot should be taken by Protect): it helps a lot preventing hax, like QC activations or crit from faster foes after you beat your set-up bait (a Sub it's what make a +6/+6 wincon really effective imho).
Vaporeon and Lapras are the only untouchable foes for mono-attacking set, but they can easily be PP stalled and then defeated by Struggle recoil/other team members. For Ludicolo or other double-team spammers with Leftovers in general, I think that a team must have a solid backup option outside of coverage to deal with them (Perish Song/Phaze/Toxic/Will-O-Wisp in order of effectiveness)

I think it's better to set-up a Substitute on passive foes than coverage (especially on Suicune, whom 5th spot should be taken by Protect): it helps a lot preventing hax, like QC activations or crit from faster foes after you beat your set-up bait (a Sub it's what make a +6/+6 wincon really effective imho).
Vaporeon and Lapras are the only untouchable foes for mono-attacking set, but they can easily be PP stalled and then defeated by Struggle recoil/other team members. For Ludicolo or other double-team spammers with Leftovers in general, I think that a team must have a solid backup option outside of coverage to deal with them (Perish Song/Phaze/Toxic/Will-O-Wisp in order of effectiveness)
I’m trying to avoid being too stally with my team, it already takes 25 minutes to do a set of 7 I’m not keen on doubling the amount of time I’m playing with all stall pokemon ahaha, but I probably will still stick to just one attacking move.

What other top picks would you recommend? Preferably lesser known ones, Aero, Mence, Slaking, Bird trio and Lati@as are already a given, (although I’m a sucker for a Lead DB Aero but I wanted to think about other high tiers like Weezing, Venusaur, Pory2, Magneton to a lesser extent?

Last edited:
I actually disagree with the two of you and argue for Surf / Ice Beam / Calm Mind / Rest is the best moveset, too many enemy defensive things that you might end up needing to 1v1 that you can't beat without Ice Beam i.e. Lapras or Ludicolo
It's pretty much up to personal preferences tbh. Ice Beam is a pretty valid choice since it also gets rid of Salamence reliably (Dragonite if you are on Open level). Personally, I feel much more safer behind a Substitute since it is the move that allows Suicune to stall out OHKO moves like Guillotine or Fissure combined with Pressure and it cock-blocks status move spammers. It also shields Suicune from potential crits that can ruin a sweep. Never found myself missing the extra coverage since Suicune can pretty much PP stall the shit out of Lapras, Quagsire and Vaporeon at +6.

Last edited:
I’m trying to avoid being too stally with my team, it already takes 25 minutes to do a set of 7 I’m not keen on doubling the amount of time I’m playing with all stall pokemon ahaha, but I probably will still stick to just one attacking move.

What other top picks would you recommend? Preferably lesser known ones, Aero, Mence, Slaking, Bird trio and Lati@as are already a given, (although I’m a sucker for a Lead DB Aero but I wanted to think about other high tiers like Weezing, Venusaur, Pory2, Magneton to a lesser extent?
To be fair, not many Pokemon are as viable as other Pokemon like Swampert, Zapdos, Salamence, Suicune, Lati@s, Metagross, Slaking, Registeel, Blissey, etc are in Gen III. I would definitely stay away from Grass types unless it is Sceptile. Magneton and Weezing look like interesting choices. I wish I could say the same about Porygon2, but it feels too inferior compared to what Blissey can do. In the end, you're the one who will make these decisions and I can only make suggestions simply for the purpose of guiding you. Feel free to get creative and most importantly, have fun!

I actually have two records to share. My first one is an update on the Battle Factory, where my streak has now been increased to 40 wins instead of 36. I found that the best way to get through a lot of the earlier rounds is to build a team around weather and only swap when you can add to that initial weather setup. If you do not have a weather setter to rent off the start, go for coverage. If you do not have a good weather team 3 or 4 battles in, swap the weather setter. I was lucky enough to get a Starmie not unlike you'd see anywhere else, with 4 coverage moves. Unfortunately, that same Starmie ended my streak a set later.
And apparently I am also on the scoreboard for the Battle Pike. My team in the Battle Pike is Starmie/Metagross/Blissey. I can post the sets if needed, but my current ongoing streak is 154 rooms in Open Level (I play on level 60).

Attachments

To be fair, not many Pokemon are as viable as other Pokemon like Swampert, Zapdos, Salamence, Suicune, Lati@s, Metagross, Slaking, Registeel, Blissey, etc are in Gen III. I would definitely stay away from Grass types unless it is Sceptile. Magneton and Weezing look like interesting choices. I wish I could say the same about Porygon2, but it feels too inferior compared to what Blissey can do. In the end, you're the one who will make these decisions and I can only make suggestions simply for the purpose of guiding you. Feel free to get creative and most importantly, have fun!
Unfortunately, Magenton doesn’t have much of a niche because he isn’t bulky at all and he’s slow, I had him as an idea to round off the ArticPert combo, since they’d form a perfect core, but like you said niche pokemon really have no merit here. Weezing has amazing resistances, good bulk and Explosion to boot, I’m mostly asking why I don’t see him here more often? Could you off the top of your head come up with more reccomendations? Rhydon? Starmie? TTar or Dnite, since I’m on Open level? I know Dnite is inferior mostly to Mence but he does get Bolt Beam and a little extra (reliable) bulk. As much as I’d like to go the Latios Meta Swampert route, I’d like to come up with my own team lol. Latias can run a similiar set to the one I saw earlier from Suicune and with 0 immunities, what would be the pros and cons?

i hope I’m not asking too much, I’ve been at a loss coming up with a gold winning team for weeks now lol, I can’t just ever seem to cover everything I need to

You can really have fun with a lot of unconventional choices, like CB Blaziken/Medicham, Thunder Wave Regice, Leech Seed Sceptile, Crobat, Gardevoir (!), Curse Miltank, Spore Smeargle, Mirror-Counter Swampert/Blastoise

Unfortunately the blanket in gen 3 is exaggeratedly short.
Super-optimized teams with S tier Pokemons have threats too, so using odd picks will just make things get worse, but you can easily get Gold Symbols and spend really good time with a large array of archetypes

EDIT: Voltolos I read now your new post.

Weezing has amazing resistances, good bulk and Explosion to boot, I’m mostly asking why I don’t see him here more often?
I think Weezing is really frail despite it's sky-high Def (that HP stat is simply too low and Pain Split is not Recover)

Latias can run a similiar set to the one I saw earlier from Suicune and with 0 immunities, what would be the pros and cons?
I'm running a mono-attacking Latias set right now, but she requires a desperate team support (like Articuno tbh) because of the lack of starting power

Unfortunately, Magenton doesn’t have much of a niche because he isn’t bulky at all and he’s slow, I had him as an idea to round off the ArticPert combo, since they’d form a perfect core, but like you said niche pokemon really have no merit here.
Your Art/Pert core has the problem of not covering neither strong Physical attackers (Ursaring, Granbull, Heracross, Machamp...can muscle through Swampert in a match -he can't check 2 of them for example-) nor Lati@s/Gardevoir, and it's impossible to find a third member who reliably covers all of these threats (in a balance team at least)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Magenton doesn’t have much of a niche because he isn’t bulky at all and he’s slow, I had him as an idea to round off the ArticPert combo, since they’d form a perfect core, but like you said niche pokemon really have no merit here.
I can see Magneton have some niche since base 70 Speed is decent for Gen III standards and it has the 2nd highest Special Attack for an Electric type (Only behind from Zapdos). Electric / Steel is a really good defensive typing despite Magneton's average defenses. The x4 weakness to Ground is its biggest downfall though since it's a common coverage move. I personally don't think Magneton is bad as you make it look like (Take my comment with a pinch of salt though since I never used it).

Weezing has amazing resistances, good bulk and Explosion to boot, I’m mostly asking why I don’t see him here more often?
Weezing has a frail Sp. Def stat and its vulnerable to common Psychic type Pokemon like Alakazam, Starmie, Mr. Mime and Gardevoir. It can pair nicely with something like Blissey, but that's it. At most, it is a niche Pokemon. Also, it's slow Speed means that you're pretty much at risk of getting killed before even pulling it off. Other Explosion / Self-Destruct users like Snorlax or Metagross have the advantage of being bulkier, better typing, higher attacking stats and on Metagross' case, higher Speed.

Could you off the top of your head come up with more reccomendations? Rhydon? Starmie? TTar or Dnite, since I’m on Open level? I know Dnite is inferior mostly to Mence but he does get Bolt Beam and a little extra (reliable) bulk.
Starmie is pretty simple: All you need is a Modest nature, Natural Care and Psychic / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Surf. Sadly, Dragonite is pretty much outclassed compared to what Salamence and Lati@s can do. Lati@s have higher Speed, higher Special Attack and they can boost with Calm Mind without the nasty x4 Ice weakness. On the other hand, Salamence has Dragon Dance which boosts its Attack and Speed, also it has Intimidate to nerf physical attackers to a great extent. Dragonite finds itself on a weird limbo where it can't really do something better than these two and thus ends up being a really inferior choice.

I also happen to have a nice recommendation on Tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
IVs: 30 Def / 1 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 100
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Tyranitar is probably one of the best Taunt users around since the Dark typing allows it to effectively shut down Psychic types like Espeon and Alakazam while setting up with impunity on them thanks to its typing and the SpD buff it gains from Sand Stream. Dragon Dance allows you to boost your Speed and Attack allowing you to outspeed more targets while Earthquake is pretty obvious for coverage. HP Rock is the preferred STAB since it is 100% accurate and has more PP compared to Rock Slide who exchanges just a 5 BP increase for a horrible 90 accuracy which can pretty much throw away the games you need T-tar to score wins. I've always felt comfortable using Max Attack and Speed, but feel free to get creative with the benchmarks here. I haven't done more experimentation on T-tar to actually suggest a more optimal set for the Frontier.

As much as I’d like to go the Latios Meta Swampert route, I’d like to come up with my own team lol. Latias can run a similiar set to the one I saw earlier from Suicune and with 0 immunities, what would be the pros and cons?
Latias has a higher Special Defense which can allow you to focus much more on her bulk rather than her offensive power. Latios is a much better sweeper since it has a higher Special Attack which allows it to achieve an insane amount of OHKOs that Latias can't achieve without more boosts. Latias is female and Latios is male (For Attract shenanigans). I also have a set designed based on Latias that you can use:

Latias @ Lum Berry
Modest Nature
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 124 HP / 4 Def / 156 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam / Dragon Claw
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

The Speed EVs allow you to outspeed all Manectric sets with a Modest nature while the bulk investment ensures that Lapras 2 can't 2HKO with Ice Beam after a Calm Mind boost. A +1 boost also has a very high chance to score a OHKO on Muk 1 with the given SpA investment. The choice on Ice Beam / Dragon Claw depends on what you want to kill first: Ice Beam lets you murder Salamence 4 who can otherwise survive Dragon Claw and put Latias on a bad position. On the other hand, Dragon Claw is your best STAB for opposing Psychic types and prevents Espeon from walling you.

i hope I’m not asking too much, I’ve been at a loss coming up with a gold winning team for weeks now lol, I can’t just ever seem to cover everything I need to.
We are all here to help :D. Don't be afraid for asking more and feel free to clarify any doubts you might have here. No team can cover all threats on the Frontier since there's always going to be a particular Pokemon that can threaten your team. It all depends on how you strategize to deal with it.

This put a smile on my face. Hasty nature has always been described by HeadsILoseTailsYouWin as the best nature to use in Palace since I was theorymonning a few stuff at the Frontier channel on the Battle Tree Discord. 53 wins is a very solid streak considering that you were using far from perfect Pokemon. I just want to add that the AI does not recognizes Hidden Power's type properly due to it being listed as Normal on the game's coding. So you're pretty much using a wasted slot on a move that the AI will just pick for you randomly without recognizing it properly as a Grass type move. Sadly, Raikou's movepool outside Hidden Power is barren. I guess I would simply remove it from its movepool and stick to Thunderbolt / Crunch / Calm Mind. IIRC Werster only ran two moves on his Metagross in order to increase the odds of its Pokemon choosing the right move. Hope this helps and congrats on the streak :D.
Would protect be a good 4th on a mon like raikou? (leftovers and pressure) or will/does the AI use protect over and over?

Would protect be a good 4th on a mon like raikou? (leftovers and pressure) or will/does the AI use protect over and over?
For Palace, I would avoid using Protect because it is categorized as a Defense move and a Hasty natured Pokemon has a 37% chance of using it from good health. This means that the possibilities of using a Double Protect when it shouldn't be doing it, are considerably high. Sadly, Raikou's special movepool outside Hidden Power is just as desolate as the Orre region and since the AI does not properly recognize the Hidden Power type being used, you simply spare yourself the trouble by just running three attacks.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Instead of using only Calm Mind whenever it feels like using a defensive move, the AI will now randomly pick Calm Mind or Protect.
I think the net gain of Calm Mind is better, especially considering the double protect risk that Kommo-o just mentionned.

Overall, Protect is only really useful if you don't have any other defensive move, so you don't lose your turn XX % of the time.

I can see Magneton have some niche since base 70 Speed is decent for Gen III standards and it has the 2nd highest Special Attack for an Electric type (Only behind from Zapdos). Electric / Steel is a really good defensive typing despite Magneton's average defenses. The x4 weakness to Ground is its biggest downfall though since it's a common coverage move. I personally don't think Magneton is bad as you make it look like (Take my comment with a pinch of salt though since I never used it).

Weezing has a frail Sp. Def stat and its vulnerable to common Psychic type Pokemon like Alakazam, Starmie, Mr. Mime and Gardevoir. It can pair nicely with something like Blissey, but that's it. At most, it is a niche Pokemon. Also, it's slow Speed means that you're pretty much at risk of getting killed before even pulling it off. Other Explosion / Self-Destruct users like Snorlax or Metagross have the advantage of being bulkier, better typing, higher attacking stats and on Metagross' case, higher Speed.

Starmie is pretty simple: All you need is a Modest nature, Natural Care and Psychic / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Surf. Sadly, Dragonite is pretty much outclassed compared to what Salamence and Lati@s can do. Lati@s have higher Speed, higher Special Attack and they can boost with Calm Mind without the nasty x4 Ice weakness. On the other hand, Salamence has Dragon Dance which boosts its Attack and Speed, also it has Intimidate to nerf physical attackers to a great extent. Dragonite finds itself on a weird limbo where it can't really do something better than these two and thus ends up being a really inferior choice.

I also happen to have a nice recommendation on Tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
IVs: 30 Def / 1 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 100
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Tyranitar is probably one of the best Taunt users around since the Dark typing allows it to effectively shut down Psychic types like Espeon and Alakazam while setting up with impunity on them thanks to its typing and the SpD buff it gains from Sand Stream. Dragon Dance allows you to boost your Speed and Attack allowing you to outspeed more targets while Earthquake is pretty obvious for coverage. HP Rock is the preferred STAB since it is 100% accurate and has more PP compared to Rock Slide who exchanges just a 5 BP increase for a horrible 90 accuracy which can pretty much throw away the games you need T-tar to score wins. I've always felt comfortable using Max Attack and Speed, but feel free to get creative with the benchmarks here. I haven't done more experimentation on T-tar to actually suggest a more optimal set for the Frontier.

Latias has a higher Special Defense which can allow you to focus much more on her bulk rather than her offensive power. Latios is a much better sweeper since it has a higher Special Attack which allows it to achieve an insane amount of OHKOs that Latias can't achieve without more boosts. Latias is female and Latios is male (For Attract shenanigans). I also have a set designed based on Latias that you can use:

Latias @ Lum Berry
Modest Nature
EVs: 124 HP / 4 Def / 156 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam / Dragon Claw
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

The Speed EVs allow you to outspeed all Manectric sets with a Modest nature while the bulk investment ensures that Lapras 2 can't 2HKO with Ice Beam after a Calm Mind boost. A +1 boost also has a very high chance to score a OHKO on Muk 1 with the given SpA investment. The choice on Ice Beam / Dragon Claw depends on what you want to kill first: Ice Beam lets you murder Salamence 4 who can otherwise survive Dragon Claw and put Latias on a bad position. On the other hand, Dragon Claw is your best STAB for opposing Psychic types and prevents Espeon from walling you.

We are all here to help :D. Don't be afraid for asking more and feel free to clarify any doubts you might have here. No team can cover all threats on the Frontier since there's always going to be a particular Pokemon that can threaten your team. It all depends on how you strategize to deal with it.
I may give magneton a shot, he’s got resistances I find myself needing a lot and I can trap steels and HP Fire them. At this point I’m just theorycrafting. I have 2 3IV dittos ready to start breeding, I just need an initial team to get my foot in the door.

How would you recommend I set my team up, exactly? Strong physical sweeper in the front? A stall pokemon? Set up sweeper? How should I use the other two slots? I was considering running a CB in the front, Aero, Slaking, Medicham, Metagross with explosion maybe, just in case?

tl;dr what kind of poke should I lead with, and how do I support that poke

Voltolos after fiddling around with turskain's damage calculator, I was able to find a decent Weezing spread that could be useful for you in the Gen III Tower. It could work out if you pair it with a dedicated special wall like Blissey or a specially defensively strong Pokemon like Snorlax.

Weezing (M) @ Leftovers
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 244 HP / 68 SpA / 196 SpD
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Toxic
- Pain Split
- Flamethrower

244 HP maximizes Leftovers recovery while coupled with the Special investment, it will now let Weezing survive some powerful Special Attacks otherwise it would never be able to come back from it. The 68 SpA EVs are necessary in order to OHKO Forretress 4 over 90% of the time before it activates its Quick Claw and explodes blowing up your Weezing into smithereens until kingdom comes. Because of Weezing's naturally high Defense, you can focus on investing into his weaker Special Defense and it will do wonders:

This is just a small sample of the attacks it can survive. Some of these are STAB backed up.

With 68 SpA EVs, Weezing starts putting up some decent damage. These are some nice calcs despite being limited to a ~70% of 2HKOing 0/0 Heracross:

The best partner for this Weezing is definitely Blissey and you can also play around with other options like Rest and Chesto. I don't recommend Will-o-Wisp since it is horribly inaccurate (75% accuracy) and it does kinda needs Leftovers since it let's it escape some 2HKOs that would otherwise end him. Explosion shouldn't be considered since Weezing is a nice physical wall to have around that is able to beat Pokemon like Dugtrio, Snorlax, Sceptile and besides, Explosion would be pathetically weak without a significant Attack investment.

Last edited:
Voltolos after fiddling around with turskain's damage calculator, I was able to find a decent Weezing spread that could be useful for you in the Gen III Tower. It could work out if you pair it with a dedicated special wall like Blissey or a specially defensively strong Pokemon like Snorlax.

Weezing (M) @ Leftovers
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 244 HP / 68 SpA / 196 SpD
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Toxic
- Pain Split
- Flamethrower

244 HP maximizes Leftovers recovery while coupled with the Special investment, it will now let Weezing survive some powerful Special Attacks otherwise it would never be able to come back from it. The 68 SpA EVs are necessary in order to OHKO Forretress 4 over 90% of the time before it activates its Quick Claw and explodes blowing up your Weezing into smithereens until kingdom comes. Because of Weezing's naturally high Defense, you can focus on investing into his weaker Special Defense and it will do wonders:

This is just a small sample of the attacks it can survive. Some of these are STAB backed up.

With 68 SpA EVs, Weezing starts putting up some decent damage. These are some nice calcs despite being limited to a ~70% of 2HKOing 0/0 Heracross:

The best partner for this Weezing is definitely Blissey and you can also play around with other options like Rest and Chesto. I don't recommend Will-o-Wisp since it is horribly inaccurate (75% accuracy) and it does kinda needs Leftovers since it let's it escape some 2HKOs that would otherwise end him. Explosion shouldn't be considered since Weezing is a nice physical wall to have around that is able to beat Pokemon like Dugtrio, Snorlax, Sceptile and besides, Explosion would be pathetically weak without a significant Attack investment.
Looks great actually! I don’t have any particular attachment to anything I’m mentioning, I’m just going off of popular threats at the time, I know Weezing was actually pretty great in Gen 3. I made another post like, 2 seconds before you did so check that out as well haha. I definitely thought I’d be going the White Herb Overheat route, but I suppose Weezing desperately needs the extra recovery.

Looks great actually! I don’t have any particular attachment to anything I’m mentioning, I’m just going off of popular threats at the time, I know Weezing was actually pretty great in Gen 3. I made another post like, 2 seconds before you did so check that out as well haha
Saw it! In case you have checked the top streaks in this thread, you'll notice that in Gen III there is a tendency of using Speedy Pokemon on the lead position over other kind of leads. The reason why is because Speed advantage is more important in Gen III than anything else. Pokemon like Gengar are able to set up first before getting hit or afflicted by status while Pokemon like Latios or Starmie are able to clean up early with their great coverage. Alakazam is able to Trick a Choice Band and lock an opponent before it does something, crippling it for the rest of the match. I can't really tell you which kind of leads are the most effective ones because these will greatly depend on the kind of team you want to run.

If you want to go all out offense, using a Pokemon like Latios, Starmie, Raikou or even Salamence is not a bad idea. Much more defensive teams will appreciate having a lead that's fast enough to achieve what your whole team's strategy is all about (Toxic stalling like Gengar or Trick like Alakazam).

Saw it! In case you have checked the top streaks in this thread, you'll notice that in Gen III there is a tendency of using Speedy Pokemon on the lead position over other kind of leads. The reason why is because Speed advantage is more important in Gen III than anything else. Pokemon like Gengar are able to set up first before getting hit or afflicted by status while Pokemon like Latios or Starmie are able to clean up early with their great coverage. Alakazam is able to Trick a Choice Band and lock an opponent before it does something, crippling it for the rest of the match. I can't really tell you which kind of leads are the most effective ones because these will greatly depend on the kind of team you want to run.

If you want to go all out offense, using a Pokemon like Latios, Starmie, Raikou or even Salamence is not a bad idea. Much more defensive teams will appreciate having a lead that's fast enough to achieve what your whole team's strategy is all about (Toxic stalling like Gengar or Trick like Alakazam).
I could bite the bullet and run a stally team if it’s more effective, I’m mostly just going for gold symbols but I’ll be trying my hand at streaks afterwards most likely. I experimented with Trick Alakazam in the Battle Factory and found it to be a little unpredictable. Speaking of the battle factory, have any tips? I got up to fight 42 for the gold symbol, but Noland ran 3 regis and made them all use explosion on the first turn :blobpensive: I know that I should swap every match, but I’m not sure if I should be going for sweepers or pokemon who can take a hit, not to mention the EV spreads are atrocious. My idea was a fast CB user initially and running two tanky pokemon afterwards, maybe a mixed sweeper and a stall pokemon. Gengar is looking pretty tasty, but I’m also looking at Umbreon for the better defenses and self recovery.

Last edited:
I could bite the bullet and run a stally team if it’s more effective, I’m mostly just going for gold symbols but I’ll be trying my hand at streaks afterwards most likely. I experimented with Trick Alakazam in the Battle Factory and found it to be a little unpredictable. Speaking of the battle factory, have any tips? I got up to fight 42 for the gold symbol, but Noland ran 3 regis and made them all use explosion on the first turn :blobpensive:
Offensive teams are pretty good to grind for the Gold symbols if that is your objective. Werster's speedrun team is one of the most user friendly teams you can use to start on Gen III. It's also a very nice introduction to what Gen III is and has a good pace to end battles with. Stall works better for longer intended streaks, so take your time upon working on this. If you want some advice on what Pokemon you can aim for Frontier overall usage, I can give you some options and you can team-build from there.

Sadly I am not experienced enough in the Factory to offer you a helpful tip. However, atsync made an extensive and very insightful post on how the Factory works, please give it a read as it might be very helpful for you on this.

Offensive teams are pretty good to grind for the Gold symbols if that is your objective. Werster's speedrun team is one of the most user friendly teams you can use to start on Gen III. It's also a very nice introduction to what Gen III is and has a good pace to end battles with. Stall works better for longer intended streaks, so take your time upon working on this. If you want some advice on what Pokemon you can aim for Frontier overall usage, I can give you some options and you can team-build from there.

Sadly I am not experienced enough in the Factory to offer you a helpful tip. However, atsync made an extensive and very insightful post on how the Factory works, please give it a read as it might be very helpful for you on this.
thank you! I made a few edits to my original post, I didn’t want to double reply haha. And yes, I would like to hear about more of the top tier picks for BF. I have access to Eon tickets so that’s also no trouble.

Last edited:
thank you! I made a few edits to my original post, I didn’t want to double reply haha. And yes, I would like to hear about more of the top tier picks for BF. I have access to Eon tickets so that’s also no trouble.
If we are talking about the best Pokemon for general Frontier use, then Werster's team should be mentioned: There is a reason why speedrunners choose Swampert / Metagross / Latios since these are one of the best Pokemon in Gen III. They are very accessible in Emerald, have great stats and good synergy between each other. Anything else will be simply to suit a specific team's purpose depending on the facility. Because of this, I think Swampert / Metagross / Latios should be mandatory to have at least on an Emerald save if grinding for the Gold symbols is your objective. Other than that, having other Pokemon will increase your options when teambuilding for an specific facility. Here is a shortlist of what can be added to the Werster mix:
  • Blissey
  • Suicune
  • Flygon
  • Salamence
  • Starmie
  • Slaking
  • Heracross

While we were dicussing on the Discord, me and Adedede came up with an initial tier-list for Battle Frontier overall usage. This is pretty much a WIP based on both of our experiences, so I wanted to know everyone else's opinion on it and what would you add/remove on the tiers. Without further ado, we introduce the first theoretical tier-list for Generation III Battle Frontier:

S+ Rank
Blissey
Suicune
Metagross

S Rank
Latios
Gengar
Salamence
Slaking

A+ Rank
Starmie
Snorlax
Latias
Flygon
Milotic

A Rank
Swampert
Raikou
Zapdos
Tauros
Heracross

A- Rank
Steelix
Alakazam
Aerodactyl
Vaporeon
Moltres

B+ Rank
Dusclops
Gyarados
Registeel
Ludicolo
Regice
Gardevoir
Skarmory

B Rank
Medicham
Espeon
Scizor
Jolteon
Wobbuffet
Sceptile

B- Rank
Blaziken
Wobbufet
Porygon2
Magneton
Crobat
Umbreon

+C Rank
Weezing
Shedinja
Linoone
Smeargle
Machamp
Ninetales

C Rank
Regirock
Meganium
Ursaring
Dodrio
Houndoom
Rhydon

-C Rank
Venusaur
Hitmonlee
Charizard
Dragonite
Donphan
Arcanine
Articuno

Please give us as many feedback as possible on this list and in case you feel there is a Pokemon missing in here that actually has utility on any of the Battle Facilities, let us know so that we can discuss it. Preferably, try to back up your claims with some sort of game play evidence (You can upload videos from your phone or record using an emulator). The more people we can get to discuss this tierlist, the better (regardless of whether you agree or disagree) because in the end, this information will become useful for the newer players who might be interested on participating in Gen III.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 1)