Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

Hi guys

i was thinking about building an open level battle tower team around this thing:

aerodactyl
Leftovers
ability: pressure
Jolly nature
252/0/4/0/0/252
Protect
Substitute
Torment
scary face(?)

I might link this one up with a setup sweeper like latios.

whats your thoughts on this, any ideas for team mates?
If you completely want to go bonkers with PressureStall Aerodactyl, I recommend using the set from this post. It doesn't work on its own without support, however. You need a lead that preferably steals Quick Claws or handles the Quick Claw-holders in another fashion. Since Aerodactyl usually has no time to use Torment (and if it does, it typically doesn't need it), having Torment on your lead is a very nice idea. Other stuff this Aerodactyl struggles with are 4-move coverage special attackers (see the Latios, Starmie, etc. from the post), so ideally you have some kind of setup sweeper that either handles these on its own while setting up (e.g. Umbreon or Raikou), or your lead can cripple them.

The only real benefit of using an Aerodactyl like this is EQ immunity and the ability to outspeed Crobat with more bulk EVs if you wish, but in most cases Raikou is a far better fast Pressurestaller, since it has a great matchup against the blisteringly fast Jolteon-4 as well. Even slow Pressurestallers like Articuno or Suicune usually out-niche Aerodactyl it because their Substitutes don't break against a greater pool of attacks, and getting the Speed advantage can be done quite reliably with a good lead. Think of Thunder Wave, Icy Wind, String Shot and indeed, even Scary Face.

Nevertheless, Aerodactyl is pretty cool for resisting Double-Edge and being able to learn Torment itself. Don't overestimate its bulk though; even if you do end up using Torment, they'll usually take a good chunk of health before it can start SubTect stalling, and that's where you are vulnerable to critical hits and side effects.

If you want a decently reliable yet fast Pressure stall setup team, I would recommend either Suicune lead + fast DT Sub BP Zapdos + DDMence or a classic Pressure "meme" team consisting of Dusclops, Articuno and Suicune that submenceisop and I once constructed to achieve decent results. Good luck!

Hi guys

i was thinking about building an open level battle tower team around this thing:

aerodactyl
Leftovers
ability: pressure
Jolly nature
252/0/4/0/0/252
Protect
Substitute
Torment
scary face(?)

I might link this one up with a setup sweeper like latios.

whats your thoughts on this, any ideas for team mates?
I only think that Scary Face is the only wasted move on this set. 90% accuracy doesn't makes it worthwhile to drop the Speed stat against most foes that will be much more slower than Aerodactyl anyways and if you really want to abuse Pressure, there are much better moves that you can run on that 4th slot. You can probably run Taunt or even Rock Slide on that move slot since it will prevent Aerodactyl from being a sitting duck on the match. A good friend of mine, Thomaz did some experimentation with Aerodactyl before and it's a good Pokemon that can beat many sets that rely on a single super-effective move to hit it.

The biggest issue with using Aerodactyl though comes from the fact that its weaknesses are extremely common in Gen 3. Even if you try to find a Pokemon that can cover most of them, it's defensive typing is not really that good and it will overlap with one of your team members. The only Pokemon that has the best defensive synergy with Aerodactyl is Quagsire (which is mostly due to Water Absorb granting an immunity to Water), immune to Electric and it resists Steel & Rock.

As Actaeon mentioned, Aerodactyl will struggle against opponents like Starmie, Lati@s or Alakazam who can carry more than 2 super-effective moves to hit it. It's inferior to Moltres as a staller simply because unlike the fire bird, it can't recover its health. The weaknesses to Water, Electric and Ice alone is what makes Aerodactyl so difficult to use other than a niche Choice Bander who can at least score a decent amount of OHKOs.

I only think that Scary Face is the only wasted move on this set. 90% accuracy doesn't makes it worthwhile to drop the Speed stat against most foes that will be much more slower than Aerodactyl anyways and if you really want to abuse Pressure, there are much better moves that you can run on that 4th slot. You can probably run Taunt or even Rock Slide on that move slot since it will prevent Aerodactyl from being a sitting duck on the match. A good friend of mine, Thomaz did some experimentation with Aerodactyl before and it's a good Pokemon that can beat many sets that rely on a single super-effective move to hit it.

The biggest issue with using Aerodactyl though comes from the fact that its weaknesses are extremely common in Gen 3. Even if you try to find a Pokemon that can cover most of them, it's defensive typing is not really that good and it will overlap with one of your team members. The only Pokemon that has the best defensive synergy with Aerodactyl is Quagsire (which is mostly due to Water Absorb granting an immunity to Water), immune to Electric and it resists Steel & Rock.

As Actaeon mentioned, Aerodactyl will struggle against opponents like Starmie, Lati@s or Alakazam who can carry more than 2 super-effective moves to hit it. It's inferior to Moltres as a staller simply because unlike the fire bird, it can't recover its health. The weaknesses to Water, Electric and Ice alone is what makes Aerodactyl so difficult to use other than a niche Choice Bander who can at least score a decent amount of OHKOs.
Come to think of it, maybe it has a niche in the Battle Dome where it can literally outspeed every Pokemon that has no Quick Claw due to the reduced IVs of the opponents. This might also put it a position where its Substitutes can survive some coverage moves, and (again due to the reduced IVs) it might be able to sweep through Struggling opponents with the always-hitting Aerial Ace. Have a potential team member lead that can Torment + steal/knock off/phaze Quick Claws, and simply use Aerodactyl as the lead + a more dangerous setup sweeper if this isn't needed. Fun idea? I guess something like Protect/Substitute/AerialAce/(Whirlwind/Torment/Toxic/Flamethrower) could do the job.

Edit: A SubTect Curse Aerial Ace is also stupidly good I think. Outstall the first, setup with unbreakable subs against Struggle, then either OHKO the next or "slow-stall" the next opponent while avoiding QC shenanigans. They can never win a setup race this way, not even with Curse or Double Team, unless they are CurseSkarm, Registeel or Regirock maybe. But then they don't have Leftovers :)

Last edited:

The Suicune Replacement

formerly Maizup
Hello there!

It's been a while since my last activity on these forums due to my burnout related to the games themselves, but I recently picked Emerald up again and have been working on achieving higher streaks with the teams I used the last times without much success. After some pretty bad attempts to go for higher streaks, I finally decided to start working on my own team to create for Battle Tower purposes. Since my knowledge is still fairly limited, I came here in order to hopefully get some helpful suggestions/feedback on how I could optimize my team.

So, here's what I was working on:

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Toxic

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Blissey @ Lum Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Def / 168 SpD / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Growl

Since I really liked the concept of Kommo-o's Moltres team, I attempted to sort of go for the same thing, just in a more offensive fashion, so I decided to give CB Aerodactyl a shot and build a team around it. I had a hard time finding an at least somewhat suitable offensive partner for Aerodactyl that would synergize with it in terms of typing, so I tried to give CM Raikou a shot. Both of them tend to resist each others weakness fairly well and Raikou would be my main answer to bulky water types such as Vaporeon and Suicune which Aerodactyl would most likely struggle with. Since most of the defensive backbones fall flat due to having the same weaknesses, I decided to give Blissey a chance since it's the most versatile defensive Pokemon that would synergize with this team. I still have my doubts if this team would even properly work, as you can see I skipped most of the EV's since I'm not sure where to add them so they're not wasted.

https://pokepast.es/a5395f17dde255a0

I would be more than glad to receive suggestions on what to change about the EV investments, movesets or team members in order to get the most out of this team.

Hello there!

It's been a while since my last activity on these forums due to my burnout related to the games themselves, but I recently picked Emerald up again and have been working on achieving higher streaks with the teams I used the last times without much success. After some pretty bad attempts to go for higher streaks, I finally decided to start working on my own team to create for Battle Tower purposes. Since my knowledge is still fairly limited, I came here in order to hopefully get some helpful suggestions/feedback on how I could optimize my team.

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Toxic

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Blissey @ Lum Berry
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Growl

Since I really liked the concept of Kommo-o's Moltres team, I attempted to sort of go for the same thing, just in a more offensive fashion, so I decided to give CB Aerodactyl a shot and build a team around it. I had a hard time finding an at least somewhat suitable offensive partner for Aerodactyl that would synergize with it in terms of typing, so I tried to give CM Raikou a shot. Both of them tend to resist each others weakness fairly well and Raikou would be my main answer to bulky water types such as Vaporeon and Suicune which Aerodactyl would most likely struggle with. Since most of the defensive backbones fall flat due to having the same weaknesses, I decided to give Blissey a chance since it's the most versatile defensive Pokemon that would synergize with this team. I still have my doubts if this team would even properly work, as you can see I skipped most of the EV's since I'm not sure where to add them so they're not wasted.

I would be more than glad to receive suggestions on what to change about the EV investments, movesets or team members in order to get the most out of this team.
I'm not a fan of choice band users in the Tower. However, I have no experience using Aerodactyl, so I will let someone else suggest a better set. Although I'm pretty sure Toxic is suboptimal on Aerodactyl.

I do have experience using Raikou. I found it difficult to use, as the lack of recovery and inability to run mono electric made it require a lot of team support.

Adedede used to run a Raikou set with heavy bulk, on page 14. 220 HP/ 180 Special Defence/ 180 speed. This does make you significantly tankier, as your substitute can now tank a Psychic from Espeon. Unfortunately, you do not ko even Whiscash 4 @ +6.

Look @ this cursed calc.
+6 0 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Whiscash: 156-184 (84.3 - 99.4%)

Whiscash 4 is just one of the major ones with QC, lives a +6 hit and can ko you. Steelix, QC Snorlax, Swampert, Quagsire are others that are significant threats too.

I ran a different set, 92 HP/ 196 SpA, 180 speed/ Rest in Special Def. This set has the ability to ko Whiscash 4 and does have a noticeable power boost. Unfortunately, the lack of bulk is noticeable, as your substitutes can barely stay intact against weaker special attacks @ +1.

+6 196 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Whiscash: 185-218 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I also tried Raikou at Open Level. Raikou gets access to crunch, which helps, as the 80 BP instead of 70 BP, allows you to ko whiscash 4 with much less special attack investment. The most relevant number @ open level is 124 special attack evs, which gets up to QC Nidoking.

+6 124 SpA Raikou Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 366-431 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO- Open Level 100

Unfortunately, there's a big problem with Open Level. Tyranitar. Eternal sandstorm is a huge problem if you don't carry a weather changing move, as Raikou can't heal in sand. This is also a problem for Dragonite and every other sweeper relying on leftovers.

I won't take credit for this, but there's good sets for Blissey on the earlier pages. I prefer 106 speed Blissey personally, as the added speed and faster substitute is very valuable. 244 speed, 244 phys def /20 HP.

Other good benchmarks are 84 speed. 172 hp/ 252 def/ 84 speed. Gets up to Haxrein.

I wouldn't recommend s-toss on Blissey. Substitute is far too valuable for Blissey for stalling and protection against OHKO users.

Last edited:
Hello there!

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Toxic

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Blissey @ Lum Berry
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Growl

Some of the EVs are botched, but I do have some few suggestions on some of the Pokemon:

:aerodactyl:
On Aerodactyl, I think that Pressure should only be used on a pure stalling set and I wouldn't use it on one that focuses more on offense. You'll mostly want to abuse Pressure because you'll find opportunities to stall your opponent and let another teammate set up on it. The first change would be changing its Ability from Pressure to Rock Head and then replace Toxic with Double Edge. Rock Head provides much more on the offensive side of the spectrum and Toxic feels like a very wasted move on a frail Pokemon like Aerodactyl. Double Edge gives you a much more powerful "pseudo-STAB" than what HP Rock can deal (105 power [with STAB bonus] vs 120 power against neutral targets). It will hit targets such as Blissey much more harder than any of its other moves without the recoil penalty.

:raikou:
On Raikou I'm not too sure on the EV spread you're doing? I've used: 94 HP / 236 SpA / 180 Spe with some good success. 94 HP makes your HP stat equal to 177 which will give you that magic leftovers number + 1 meaning that you can set up a 5th Substitute instead of 4. The rest goes into Special Attack allowing you to deal as much damage as possible.

:blissey:
I like where the team is going and I don't really have a suggestion for Blissey. HeadsILoseTailsYouWin often suggested Brightpowder on the Discord for really good reason. Blissey's bulk is so ridiculous that Blissey can actually afford to run it and somewhat abuse it.

1623552853600.png

I think Growl is out of place on this team and maybe you can afford running Substitute instead of it. I don't agree with removing Seismic Toss since it is Blissey's most consistent way of doing damage. I'd probably would say that a Toxic Substaller would be really interesting and Blissey can take advantage of the missed attacks and Substitute safely while stalling out the opponent.

I don't really have more suggestions other than encouraging you to play it! I'm not a big Aerodactyl fan due to how difficult it is to balance defensively, but this can somewhat work. Hope this advice helps you!

The Suicune Replacement

formerly Maizup
submenceisop Kommo-o

I thank you both for your suggestions!

I noticed that I forgot to edit the post to adjust the change from Pressure -> Rock Head on Aerodactyl and Toxic -> Double Edge, after seeing that 2 Toxic users would be a waste of a moveslot I reconsidered my decision. I was mainly struggling with the EV investment on this team. Since the EV investment Blissey had on the Moltres team was working incredibly well, I decided to just copy it over since I don't know if it requires changes for this specific team. I guess 252 Atk / 180 Spe on Aerodactyl seems fine so far? I suppose those are the EV's that are pretty obvious since 180 Spe gives it the magic speed number 173 to outspeed 95% of the Frontier Pokemon, and 252 Atk on a CB user that aims for as many OHKO's as possible seems like a good investment. Though I'm not sure where to spend the rest of the EV's for Aerodactyl, maybe there are a few ways to invest them to get some blessed defensive damage calcs? I would be more than happy to receive a suggestion on where to invest the remaining EV points.

If you think these team members would synergize well together with updated movesets and EV's, I would be more than willing to give it a go to see how it performs in general.

Last edited:
Thought I might as well make my first post here on the forum official by saying how happy I am to see my favorite generation still getting love. I hang out in the discord server, but I'm always lurking here on the thread watching the teams be posted to help with my ideas. Its just great to know that even a game as old as Emerald can still get so much appreciation and how we can still learn more and more about the mon's and how to make em go farther in the facilities.

I dont have anything to post rn, but trust me I will try to take a crack at the leaderboards sometime. Rn doing lots of breeding and some Arena on the side in one of my Emeralds before I go back to my true home, the Battle Tower. Planning on finally using some Heracross in it, so hopefully will be able to report a nice streak for it soon once I figure out the rest of the team for it. Anyways I hope to also brainstorm, test, come up with weird shit for teams and have fun with y'all in all of the battle facilities in Emerald.

submenceisop Kommo-o

I thank you both for your suggestions!

I noticed that I forgot to edit the post to adjust the change from Pressure -> Rock Head on Aerodactyl and Toxic -> Double Edge, after seeing that 2 Toxic users would be a waste of a moveslot I reconsidered my decision. I was mainly struggling with the EV investment on this team. Since the EV investment Blissey had on the Moltres team was working incredibly well, I decided to just copy it over since I don't know if it requires changes for this specific team. I guess 252 Atk / 180 Spe on Aerodactyl seems fine so far? I suppose those are the EV's that are pretty obvious since 180 Spe gives it the magic speed number 173 to outspeed 95% of the Frontier Pokemon, and 252 Atk on a CB user that aims for as many OHKO's as possible seems like a good investment. Though I'm not sure where to spend the rest of the EV's for Aerodactyl, maybe there are a few ways to invest them to get some blessed defensive damage calcs? I would be more than happy to receive a suggestion on where to invest the remaining EV points.

If you think these team members would synergize well together with updated movesets and EV's, I would be more than willing to give it a go to see how it performs in general.
I think it's a decent Speed tier assuming there is some sort of defensive calc that will allow Aerodactyl to survive a SE hit or something. You can't go wrong with 252 Speed either since it speed ties with the Crobat sets.

The Suicune Replacement

formerly Maizup
Alright, I applied the suggested changes to the individual Pokemon and this is the result: https://pokepast.es/4f24b88527c8f096

It looks like a solid prototype team, though I'm not 100% sold on Aerodactyl at the moment, seeing that it's lacking physical power / strong stab moves makes it miss out on many OHKO's against strong physical hitters that could pose to be a threat to this team. Though maybe I'm just not seeing it's potential yet, I guess I'll have to see it in action first in order that judge it properly.

Just ended a streak of 378 on Level 50 Battle Tower Doubles! I used pkhex to get the mons so not leaderboard eligible (I don't have the patience haha), but figured I'd document it. This team is heavily inspired by Ab2658's successful doubles team.

:rs/latias:
Latias @ Cheri Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 12 SpD / 180 Spe
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Toxic
- Psychic

I was immediately drawn to Ab2658's team because I love Latias and this seemed like a great format for her to shine. I can't imagine what more you'd want out of a screen setter—she's fast, tanky, and has a nontrivial offensive presence. Toxic is an absolute lifesaver against most double team cheese. Calm nature can be pretty great, but I did occasionally find myself wishing it were Timid to get the edge on Gengar (Psychic is a OHKO on the 7/8 Gengar sets, and Gengar1 is not threatening). The Cheri Berry came in handy a few times, but Latias defnintely wishes she had the Lum berry or perhaps even the Leftovers a lot of the time since she tends to take so many hits.

:rs/tauros:
Tauros (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 244 Atk / 8 SpD / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Return
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Really fun to use. Initmidate + screens makes Tauros actually able to sponge some hits. Tauros reaches the coveted 168 speed stat to outspeed Starmie and Raikou, and threatens most varinats with OHKOs. Only ever used HP Ghost a couple times for a clean kill on Gengars. I didn't realize until like battle 50 that Earthquake's damage is not nerfed in double battles in gen III, and was very confused why the damage calcs I was doing weren't lining up lol. After I realized that, I started clicking it a lot more frequently. With the weird gen III instant swaps in doubles, it's important to manage your sacks so you don't end up in a spot where Tauros is not locked into Earthquake and have Metagross enter the field.

:rs/latios:
Latios (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

No surprise here. I was sceptical about stacking weaknesses with Latias at first, but both are so good that it never really seemed to matter. I followed Ab2658 and went for Modest (with lower speed EVs to hit 159), but I think if I were to try again I would use Timid so I just didn't have to worry about Gengar/Starmie as much. The OHKO on Salamence and friends is nice, though. I kept forgetting that I had Protect and as a result didn't use it very often, but I can see it's utility. I ended up not pivoting with Latios very ovten since it's pretty frail, and a crit on the switch in can be a big problem. One exception is when there's a mon that knows Earthquake with an immune partner, since the AI loves to spam it, even occasionally if you have two levitators out.

:rs/metagross:
Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 164 HP / 156 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Aerial Ace

Metagross has great type synergy with the Latis. With screens and lefties it shrugs off so many attacks. I was accidentally using a Jolly Metagross at a similar speed tier that had straight up inferior stats until like battle 200 when I realized that Adamant would let me squeeze out a couple extra stat points, oops lol. A strong steel stab is nice on a team with many ice weaknesses. Earthquake is pretty standard. Shadow Ball is nice for opposing Lati@s and the ghosts that Tauros can't well. Aerial Ace gives me peace of mind against double team spam if Latias isn't able to toxic them.

The Regis are all pretty awkard to deal with. They're all immune to intimidate, could have Counter or Explosion, can't be OHKO'd by any of my mons. Regice threatens the Latis with STAB Ice moves & freezes. Registeel likes Double Team spam, but unlike most evaision hax mons can't be Toxic'd. 3/6 Regirock sets have Explosion, which KOs Latias & Tauros through Reflect, but switching in Metagross could mean eating an Earthquake.

As is often the case, I don't have great counterplay to Quick Claw/Brightpowder OHKO users. Some can be downed turn 1 by a double-up with Latias + Tauros, but obviously this can go awry if their item procs. Usually I opted for attack with Tauros + Screen to make sure I had some insurance against their partner. Lapras/Walrein also threaten big damage and freeze with ice type moves.

If Tauros goes down, fast threats like Starmie are not fun to deal with. If Latias is down (which didn't happen very often), then some double team spammers can snowball quickly.

In the end, I lost in a pretty lame way. Sailor Peter sent out a Lapras and Slowking. I used Double Edge on Lapras and Light Screen Turn 1 since Lapras could carry an OHKO move, but it turned out to be Lapras1 and Slowking2. They spread Attract, Confusion, Sleep, and Paralysis everywhere. Medicham and Machamp were in the back, and scored some crits while my team burned turns with self-hits and full paralysis.

This is the farthest streak I've ever gotten in any gen, and I had a lot of luck carry me through some tight situations. Kind of relieved it's over now though so I can try new teams with less standard pokmeon :)

TheNegotiator

I COULD BE BANNED!
Do you guys think Quagsire has a niche in the battle frontier? It was listed on the Viability Rankings on page 18, and I think it has potential as a mimic of Swampert that can take on bulky waters better. I'm not sure to what degree it's worth using over pert tho.

Do you guys think Quagsire has a niche in the battle frontier? It was listed on the Viability Rankings on page 18, and I think it has potential as a mimic of Swampert that can take on bulky waters better. I'm not sure to what degree it's worth using over pert tho.
On my previous experiences using Quagsire, I tried to use to complement Moltres since it resisted every type it was weak to. I mostly did it out of memes just for a good friend of mine. However, I have to say that Quagsire is a very underwhelming Pokemon. You basically trade Swampert's superior BST for a Water immunity and it doesn't really makes the exchange worth it.

One thing I noticed is that Quagsire is extremely vulnerable to critical hits. Unlike the newer games, Quagsire doesn't has any kind of recovery which makes it reliant on Rest to work into. This means that threats like Starmie who have a 2nd STAB to use against Quagsire, will be able to beat it with a critical hit which makes stalling a lot harder. While Quagsire is almost as bulky as Swampert is from the physical side, it's Special Defense is abysmal and you'll have to invest into it to live some attacks. Also, it's offensive stats are underwhelming, which will make it even hard to kill x4 weak stuff to its attacks (Base 85 SpA vs Base 65 SpA / Base 110 Atk vs Base 85 Atk). You'll finding yourself needing investment to 2HKO certain Pokemon (Just to give you an idea, an uninvested Earthquake doesn't even guarantees a 2HKO against 170 HP Metagross).

While Swampert has similar issues when it comes to the preservation of their health, Quagsire's inferior BST holds him back to the point where Water Absorb makes it really hard to justify its niche. It's vulnerable to crits which means that Water types that have a secondary STAB to hit it like Starmie and Lapras can walk past it with some luck. It isn't strong enough to 2HKO certain threats and needs some investment to do which will force you to think really hard on how you want to split your EVs. Swampert can at least split its investment without being conditioned to do something because it can invest on a really decent amount of Attack or Special Attack while still retaining most of its bulk. Swampert can take more damage from both sides of the spectrum and retaliate hard. Base 110 Attack is really good, even without investment, which makes a more defensive role still viable.

Personally I believe its niche is extremely low and Actaeon proposed an interesting role but if you're expecting Quagsire to do the same stuff Swampert does as a mixed bulky attacker, you will find yourself extremely disappointed.

Last edited:

TheNegotiator

I COULD BE BANNED!
On my previous experiences using Quagsire, I tried to use to complement Moltres since it resisted every type it was weak to. I mostly did it out of memes just for a good friend of mine. However, I have to say that Quagsire is a very underwhelming Pokemon. You basically trade Swampert's superior BST for a Water immunity and it doesn't really makes the exchange worth it.

One thing I noticed is that Quagsire is extremely vulnerable to critical hits. Unlike the newer games, Quagsire doesn't has any kind of recovery which makes it reliant on Rest to work into. This means that threats like Starmie who have a 2nd STAB to use against Quagsire, will be able to beat it with a critical hit which makes stalling a lot harder. While Quagsire is almost as bulky as Swampert is from the physical side, it's offensive stats are underwhelming, which will make it even hard to kill x4 weak stuff to its attacks (Base 85 SpA vs Base 65 SpA / Base 110 Atk vs Base 85 Atk). You'll finding yourself needing investment to 2HKO certain Pokemon (Just to give you an idea, an uninvested Earthquake doesn't even guarantees a 2HKO against 170 HP Metagross).

While Swampert has similar issues when it comes to the preservation of their health, Quagsire's inferior BST holds him back to the point where Water Absorb makes it really hard to justify its niche. It's vulnerable to crits which means that Water types that have a secondary STAB to hit it like Starmie and Lapras can walk past it with some luck. It isn't strong enough to 2HKO certain threats and needs some investment to do which will force you to think really hard on how you want to split your EVs. Swampert can at least split its investment without being conditioned to do something because it can invest on a really decent amount of Attack or Special Attack while still retaining most of its bulk. Swampert can take more damage from both sides of the spectrum and retaliate hard. Base 110 Attack is really good, even without investment, which makes a more defensive role still viable.

Personally I believe its niche is extremely low and Actaeon proposed an interesting role but if you're expecting Quagsire to do the same stuff Swampert does as a mixed bulky attacker, you will find yourself extremely disappointed.
I see.... def a shame. Even bigger shame that it doesn't get encore nor recover this gen, cause both would be really cool

I see. I unfortunately don't have colosseum, so if I wanna use Suicune, I have to settle with bad IVs.
Its a shame that FRLG doesn't have the battle tower glitch like RS where you could get a better IV roamer, or even a battle tower in general. Just keep in mind the Suicune will get you to some good point in a streak, but maybe not as far as you would want it to. Like Once the AIs mons start scaling up their IVs you will notice your Suicune start to lag behind them. If you want you could possibly use a Milotic as a replacement for Suicune since you dont have access to good IVs via Colo, just as a possible suggestion. That is if you know where your feebas tiles are and got the time to train one up. Its no Suicune, but Milotic is still an amazing Pokemon in itself. And if you dont have your Feebas tiles found, it just means an afternoon or night fishing each tile 5ish times until you find one.
Its up to you, but I wouldn't suggest using a FRLG roamer for streaks, it will just end up being a detriment to you in the long run imo. But if you do go with the FRLG Suicune I will be interested in seeing how far it gets non the less. I wish you luck tho :blobthumbsup:

TheNegotiator

I COULD BE BANNED!
Its a shame that FRLG doesn't have the battle tower glitch like RS where you could get a better IV roamer, or even a battle tower in general. Just keep in mind the Suicune will get you to some good point in a streak, but maybe not as far as you would want it to. Like Once the AIs mons start scaling up their IVs you will notice your Suicune start to lag behind them. If you want you could possibly use a Milotic as a replacement for Suicune since you dont have access to good IVs via Colo, just as a possible suggestion. That is if you know where your feebas tiles are and got the time to train one up. Its no Suicune, but Milotic is still an amazing Pokemon in itself. And if you dont have your Feebas tiles found, it just means an afternoon or night fishing each tile 5ish times until you find one.
Its up to you, but I wouldn't suggest using a FRLG roamer for streaks, it will just end up being a detriment to you in the long run imo. But if you do go with the FRLG Suicune I will be interested in seeing how far it gets non the less. I wish you luck tho :blobthumbsup:
thanks for the response! how good do you think CB aerodactyl is?

thanks for the response! how good do you think CB aerodactyl is?
Its really good considering its pretty much its bread and butter item in gen 3. On top of that it has access to double edge and the combo of rock head in gen 3, something it cant learn in any other gen unless you transfer for God knows what reason. Aero will always be one of those really fun pokemon to use in gen 3 if you do ADV like me, but big however incoming. Since this is frontier you have half a team to work with unlike ADV and Aeros defenses are simply put, ass. HOWEVER, its still completely usable as long as you build a good team to complement him, and I do believe there are some teams on the leader boards that have Aero on them to help give you a picture of how you can roll with him. Hes interesting to use as a CB user in Frontier, however unlike other CB users he really cannot take a hit as well as say my CB Slaking can eat a fatty hit sometimes.
I actually have a CB Aero sitting in one of my boxes waiting for the day for me to build a team with him for some Tower, might have to look more into it now.
If you are thinking about using CB Aero and that low IV Suicune tho, might I suggest using Milotic instead again in place of Suicune lmao
I only say that cause you had an older post that said you still might use it as a challenge
Seriously tho, use CB aero, I wanna see more Aero streaks cause hes cool
Also name him Ridley

TheNegotiator

I COULD BE BANNED!
Its really good considering its pretty much its bread and butter item in gen 3. On top of that it has access to double edge and the combo of rock head in gen 3, something it cant learn in any other gen unless you transfer for God knows what reason. Aero will always be one of those really fun pokemon to use in gen 3 if you do ADV like me, but big however incoming. Since this is frontier you have half a team to work with unlike ADV and Aeros defenses are simply put, ass. HOWEVER, its still completely usable as long as you build a good team to complement him, and I do believe there are some teams on the leader boards that have Aero on them to help give you a picture of how you can roll with him. Hes interesting to use as a CB user in Frontier, however unlike other CB users he really cannot take a hit as well as say my CB Slaking can eat a fatty hit sometimes.
I actually have a CB Aero sitting in one of my boxes waiting for the day for me to build a team with him for some Tower, might have to look more into it now.
If you are thinking about using CB Aero and that low IV Suicune tho, might I suggest using Milotic instead again in place of Suicune lmao
I only say that cause you had an older post that said you still might use it as a challenge
Seriously tho, use CB aero, I wanna see more Aero streaks cause hes cool
Also name him Ridley
Yeah milo def seems like the better choice. stacking electric weaknesses isn't great but aero is so frail that it doesn't really count. Thanks for the advice! Also, yes, I was absolutley gonna name him Ridley

Yeah milo def seems like the better choice. stacking electric weaknesses isn't great but aero is so frail that it doesn't really count. Thanks for the advice! Also, yes, I was absolutley gonna name him Ridley
Hmm true you would have an electric weakness, but in that case perhaps use Swampert then, since hes still bulky and immune to electic type attacks? Still a good mon that gives you an extra EQ user outside of Aero, just an idea.

TheNegotiator

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hmm true you would have an electric weakness, but in that case perhaps use Swampert then, since hes still bulky and immune to electic type attacks? Still a good mon that gives you an extra EQ user outside of Aero, just an idea.
I was thinking of pairing milotic with steelix to cover electric types. Stacking double water weaknesses is p bad but milotic can usually stall out water types (outside of OHKO users but that's where Steelix comes in handy), which Swampert can't really do. Although maybe I should consider Swampert more.

Basically, I want the supporting core of Aero to be able to deal with electric and water types the most and milo and steelix can do that. there might be other options so I'm always keeping my eyes open

Last edited:
I was thinking of pairing milotic with steelix to cover electric types. Stacking double water weaknesses is p bad but milotic can usually stall out water types (outside of OHKO users but that's where Steelix comes in handy), which Swampert can't really do. Although maybe I should consider Swampert more.

Basically, I want the supporting core of Aero to be able to deal with electric and water types the most and milo and steelix can do that. there might be other options so I'm always keeping my eyes open
I will be interested to see how that team works out, as I might wanna try it for myself as well. Eh I say you test this team out first before deciding on Swampert, just to see how this first lineup fares and then see if it would be worth considering. Seeing Steelix get used is always fun so I will be interested in seeing how you run it with moves and such. And that sturdy will def come in handy against my mortal enemy Walrein and the rest of the horsemen of the apocalypse in the tower who use OHKO moves and ruin my lifes work.

Ive currently myself been flip flopping between testing Swampert and Milotic with my own Aero and still brainstorming for the final team member, but now remembering how good Steelix can be if you use it correctly in the tower, might give him a looksie over as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)