Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, no. Horde Battles are always so slow on the original 3DS and sometimes there are other slowdowns just for having that many turns.

Oh yes, I do hope they increased the speed for Horde Battles if they exist in Gen VII. I don't want to spend a few seconds waiting for the game to determine what moves the opponents are going to use or whether I can escape or not.
Now imagine a horde battle with weather effects, a Mega evolution on the field, the player character in the background and possible bystander NPCs. The old 3DS would probably explode.

Sometimes, hordes are laggy af on my 3DS XL even without 3D.

Now imagine a horde battle with weather effects, a Mega evolution on the field, the player character in the background and possible bystander NPCs. The old 3DS would probably explode.

Again, it seemed to handle the bolded part well (Horde Training Defense in Alpha Sapphire). And it's possible that the PC and any NPCs could not be there for Triples/Hordes or can be turned off like battle animations. Also, the Mega Evolution only matters during the animation, not after.

Again, it seemed to handle the bolded part well (Horde Training Defense in Alpha Sapphire). And it's possible that the PC and any NPCs could not be there for Triples/Hordes or can be turned off like battle animations. Also, the Mega Evolution only matters during the animation, not after.
That's not the experience that I had with my 3DS and games. It is borderline playable, but far from smooth for me. Gen VII could easily push my 3DS over the edge. ;-;

EDIT: This is not always the case, but sometimes the framerate drops are ridiculous. I also never have 3D turned on.

Nah fam. Instead of a horde battle and megas, imagine a triple battle with six moltres and trainers in the bg
Oh yeah, Fire... that would be even worse. Yay...

we just need talksprites and then it's perfect
I think talksprites would be a fuckin' awesome idea. Not that I would be biased in any way, of course.

New screens look great. Weirdly, they make me more excited for what GF's gonna do when we eventually move on from the 3DS platform. Being able to see the sky and the surroundings really opens up the scenery.

6 Moltres? Pah, the 6 Wailords got it covered already.

It would be a godsend if they did, but I'm not really expecting GF to fix the 3D frame rate since it seems minor to them (kids don't care much for that stuff)

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In regards to framerate worries: In a recent interview with Famitsu, Masuda and Ohmori mentioned that Pokemon Sun and Moon use a totally new graphics engine. Apparently they did this so trainers could always be in battles. Who knows, maybe this new engine has a much better framerate in general!

Here's a link to an english synopsis of the inverview: http://nintendoeverything.com/pokem...vements-setting-battle-royal-pokemon-go-more/

Here's the quote for those of you who don't want to read the whole thing:

– It may be hard to notice from the gameplay footage, but they used a new visual engine for this game, totally different from what was used in X and Y, which allowed them to represent things more leisurely as well as showing trainers all the time during battles.

– Despite still staying on 3DS, by massively evolving the game’s internals, Ohmori thinks they could evolve the game bigger than what was seen. When they were making X and Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, they went until the technological limit they could manage, and the same also applies with Sun and Moon.

– After two games of Pokemon being displayed in 3D instead of pixel art (X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire), the designers already had a very deep understanding on giving Pokemon expressions. That’s why the Pokemon in this game are being designed by considering their movements.
Hopefully, this will mean that things like Nidoking's awkwardness in 3D will not happen again in future designs.

Something about the way fire looks in XY/ORAS bothers me. I think it's the fact that they decided to outline it the way they did. Take Moltres or Rapidash for example. It's obvious they're going for a "flowing" look, but the outline just looks like a fire texture in a shape. Maybe now with this new engine, it'll look better.

Here I think

E: You can see it at 0:16
I haven't seen this particular video yet. That explains how I missed this.

But.... really? I saw in other videos they reused old animations for mons like Garchomp and Metagross which was completely fine to me, but they didn't even attempt to change the animation for Salamence?

"Deep understanding" my ass, they're just being lazy now.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this particular video yet. That explains how I missed this.

But.... really? I saw they reused old animations for mons like Garchomp and Metagross which was completely fine to me, but they didn't even attempt to change the animation for Salamence?

"Deep understanding" my ass, they're just being lazy now.
Yeah it sucks but since they're making Pokemon with 3D in mind now hopefully then Gen VII Pokemon will have better idle animations.

I'm really starting to wonder if they'll actually introduce any more new mega's in Sun/Moon, and instead possibly just give us a few normal evolutions of some past generation pokemon.
Here we go again
Going to keep this short because its been discussed like a billion times already. Megas build hype, it'd be foolish not to include new ones and I don't realistically see it happening.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So August's CoroCoro is suppose to give us information about the Alola region itself, do you think that will also be the topic of the website's update?

Because honestly, I'm kind of getting tired of new Pokemon. We know a ton of new Pokemon but very little about the Alola region itself. We only know the name of the first island... and that's it. We don't know any of the other island names (though there's a pretty good theory about what they could be which I'll go into later), any town/city names (not even the home town or the big city they keep showing), or any other significant location (heck, we don't even know if routes will be called "Route #").

Anyway, back to the possible other island names, the theory stems from this article. To summarize, one translation result for "MeleMele" is "yellow", and with there being four islands and this being Pokemon (where nostalgia and tradition are tied tightly together; especially being the 20th Anniversary) it's possible the other islands will be named after the other Gen I colors: UlaUla (red), Polu (blue), and OmaOma (green).
So going off that I tried assigning the other colors to the other islands and came to certain problems. Mainly, I tried going by the main feature of the island and some stuff just doesn't match. I first made the volcano island UlaUla and the mountain island Polu... but that would leave the desert island as OmaOma. Now there is an element of green to OmaOma, but that's off in a small part. So then I thought what about MeleMele Island is yellow, and the only thing I could think of was Tapu Koko. So if this theory is correct would the islands be named after the main color of their protective deity and does this maybe reveal the type of their deity (UlaUla being Fire, Polu being Water, and OmaOma being Grass; of course Blue could also be Ice and Green can be loosely linked to Ground)? It still sorta fits the Alchemy theory, Tapu Koko is a flying, avian Pokemon (and in certain works lightning is associated with the element of air) so OmaOma's deity would be Earth's (and my assignment would go along with what element would go to what island now that we know MeleMele is the air one).

Last edited:

Iirc, that's not because of the hardware of the 3DS but because of bad coding of XY and ORAS.

I'm very confused by the fact they have an entirely new graphics engine yet the models and animations of Gen 1-6 Pokémon are exactly the same. Or is having a new graphics engine unrelated to having the same models and animations as before? I don't really know much about this sort of thing
I'm pretty sure the models and animations staying the same isn't out of the ordinary. My guess is they're mostly using the engine for background details, and the explorable world itself, rather than on battle animations. Which would be pretty smart, judging that the XY/ORAS sprites were all pretty good (barring things like floating winged Pokemon and purrloin standing up) and redoing 3D sprites is a lot harder than the 2D ones from previous gens.

That being said, one would be eventually tired of seeing the same models and animations considering they have been used in XY, ORAS, Sun/Moon, the 3DS Mystery Dungeon games and Pokemon GO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)