Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Article is in French but has screenshots of the Japanese game start screen. Notably absent is the "badges" space that has been present in every game to this point. It's not 100% but adds credence that there are no gyms in this game.

https://www.pokebip.com/news3735__pokemon_soleil_et_lune_pas_d_arene_a_alola.html
Hmm, not only is it missing badges, it hasn't replaced them either. From the continue screen what's considered important is the player's name, location, Pokedex, and time played. And note how in recent games Badges replaced the Pokedex while in the original games the Badged "replaced" the location. This makes me wonder if Pokedex completion maybe a focus again. Meanwhile there might not be a collectible for the Island Challenge, just defeat the Captain and they'll tell the Kahuna you won, don't worry about getting proof of it just go on to the next Captain/prepare to face the Kahuna.

Finally able to see the new info. Don't really have much of an opinion on Rattata, but pokemon specific Z moves sounds interesting, kinda curious what would make Snorlax's Z move different from a Normal type Z move.

XY => early WIFI event Pokémon for ingame team, Torchic => ORAS
SM => early WIFI event Pokémon for ingame team, Munchlax => ???

I've just read on reddit that there is a volcanic cone on Hawaii named Diamond Head. There is also Pearl Harbor obviously. Hmmm...
HEATRAN ON A VOLCANO.

Z-MOVES FOR TORTERRA, INFERNAPE, EMPOLEON. MY BOY GIRATINA RETURNING FROM THE SHADOW REALM. IS THIS REAL.

...or it's just an omage like they've done with the Battle Frontier...sigh

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Finally able to see the new info. Don't really have much of an opinion on Rattata, but pokemon specific Z moves sounds interesting, kinda curious what would make Snorlax's Z move different from a Normal type Z move.
... Yeah, what is the difference between the normal Normal-type Z-Move & Pulverising Pancake or Gigavolt Havoc & Stoked SparkSurfer? They're even more powerful? Do they have an additional affect like breaking through Protect and its variants? Even though I like the presentation of Pulverising Pancake I still wasn't feeling different about it nor Stoked SparkSurfer and I couldn't figure out why. This is why. We know little about Z-Moves so how are we suppose to get any feeling from Signature Z-Moves? At least with normal moves like Sunsteel Strike, Moongeist Beam, Fleur Cannon, and Core Enforcer we have an idea how potentially powerful they can be.

Alolan Rattata looks pretty dope. Reminds me a ton of the numerous thief rats seen in animated movies and the like since its standing on its hind legs and has that mustache. Like how its belly also adapted to look like a bush so that it can hide from Yungoos at the night.

Normal + Dark STAB is pretty sweet since very little resist that combo. Raticate also learns a ton of dark moves like Crunch, Pursuit and Sucker Punch too, so it can easily make a ton of use of its new Dark STAB. Losing guts sucks, but Dark STAB more than makes up for it and Raticate still has access to hustle for a power boosting ability (though all your moves having 80% accuracy sucks, especially on a frail mon like Raticate).

Hey I have a question, how does copycat after a Z-move work. If you copy the Z-move than that is just to OP. If you don't will you use the move that the Z-move it linked to typing wise.

So Rattata adopted its Alolan form to protect itself from Yungoos.

Rattata's whiskers look like a big, mexican-like moustache.
Then there's the overused Yungoos joke.

One eventually reaches a point of starting to doubt whether it's a coincidence or intentional.
In Japan Rattata is a Burglar and Shungoos is a detective.

Let's be honest it's genius as a kid pun on the invasive species on Alola.

The west has Speedy Gonzales, one of the most hilarious and beloved cartoons by the people it is mocking(Not kidding we where upset when he was banned and fought hard so he would come back, Mexicans love Speedy!) and the western side is accustomed to that portrayal, then we have a figure that represents a foreign species gone wrong in the mongoose with a hairdo that resembles a fashion atrocity one Human actually dares to wear in public whose political views on Mexican people fit the joke better for the west than the Burglar/Detective duo of Japan.

It's a case of "All games are made in America" where we see what we want to see and there is no evil type only dark type so my headcannon is true! Situation.

We lost the pun in translation and replaced it with something we have!

It's awesome, and honestly I'm having a hard time nicknaming my would be ratatta, I could nickname him Jaime in honor of my first Pokémon capture in blue or Rodriguez in honor of a side character in Speedy cartoons, if everything fails I could always nickname him Japosai honoring the localized name of an iconic character in Ranma 1/2.

I love this Alolan Rattata giving me an excuse to fall in love with the species once again.

For the record, rats and snakes threatened indigenous bird population, mongoose was introduced to fight them, well the mongoose took a shine for the birds just like the snake did and even the rat did...those birds where royaly fucked.

Talking about snakes...when are we getting a tree brown snake, this thing is infamous in Hawaii for climbing electric wires and causing power outrages, make it grass electric for the double pun! Or have a Tora based legend with an indigenous giant snail predating it! Hawaii is perfect for this stuff!

This quote has never been more relevant, let's give GF a nice scented candle.

Last edited:
I can definitely see the starter evolutions having Z-moves. If these leaks turn out to be the real evolutions to the starters than I can see the Z-moves really fit their personality and give them very good animation. Who know, maybe Litten3's Beast/Tiger Swing that is showed in the concept art is actually a Z-move.

So at what point can we safely conclude that Alola forms are exclusive to Gen 1 pokemon? It's starting look that way with each reveal.

Opinion Dump:

Rattata-Alola: Interesting, the invasive species part is interesting and gives the world more life. Its design i cool and Normal/Dark is quite a good type combination. I haven't got much else to say on that.

Pulverizing Pancake: This thing is amazing. To see Snorlax, a fat and lazy Pokemon run at full speed and flatten the opponent is a sight to behold. Looks like it is quite a powerful move itself.

Surge Surfer: Another Raichu exclusive, surprised they haven't done this with Pikachu but its nice to see Raichu get a spotlight for a change.

Well, not actually as much news as I first thought. Perhaps they're slowing down the flood of information now.

I just thought of something regarding the battle animations of Z-Moves: it likely won't be as long in Wi-Fi Battles as in normal in-game battles. Why? Mega Evolutions aren't. We don't see the trainer hit the Key Stone and posing in Wi-Fi in Generation VI, so this is likely the case with Z-Moves.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I just thought of something regarding the battle animations of Z-Moves: it likely won't be as long in Wi-Fi Battles as in normal in-game battles. Why? Mega Evolutions aren't. We don't see the trainer hit the Key Stone and posing in Wi-Fi in Generation VI, so this is likely the case with Z-Moves.
"The primal devolution animation is so long, there's no way they'd keep the full thing for wifi battles!"

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So since we've had enough inappropriate psuedo-intelligent shoehorning of political commentary in this thread already, who else is joining me in naming their Event Munchlax "The Fat Man" for Pulverizing Pancake's final animation sequence?

"Today, the Korean Rating Board has put out a new rating for a special bit of software. This software is the Pokémon Sun & Moon Special Trial Version. It's not currently known when this demo will be released, if it will give anything to the main game like Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire's did, or if it will be globally" ~Serebii

Get ready for the entire game to be cracked and worked out weeks before release again.

According to Serebii: the Korean ratings board has released a rating for the Sun and Moon Special Trial Version. Looks like we're getting a trial soon... Which means we may get an info dump before launch if it's like the ORAS demo?

Edit: GreNinja'd, so lemme point another thing that interests me out: The soundtrack is confirmed to have 175 tracks and a special track that corresponds with the toy.
Edit2: The amount of songs is less than X/Y's soundtrack, but around the same as gen 4 and 5 soundtracks, and larger than ORAS's soundtrack. The little video clips you can do in XY probably account for the larger number, so it is probably the same altogether.

Edit3: I was planning on giving this a separate post... But i really, REALLY hope they have learned their lesson from ORAS and we aren't able to datamine all the info like last time. I was seriously making plans on taking the day off work to help research the new Pokemon (considering i have a couple vacation days left that I need to use before the end of the year, still gonna take the day off) and it's kinda hard to do that when the info is already there. That said, if it does happen, I do plan on avoiding all of that until after beating the game... Will this thread be able to talk about that kinda thing, or will it be limited to nintendo news only?

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Edit3: I was planning on giving this a separate post... But i really, REALLY hope they have learned their lesson from ORAS and we aren't able to datamine all the info like last time. I was seriously making plans on taking the day off work to help research the new Pokemon (considering i have a couple vacation days left that I need to use before the end of the year, still gonna take the day off) and it's kinda hard to do that when the info is already there. That said, if it does happen, I do plan on avoiding all of that until after beating the game... Will this thread be able to talk about that kinda thing, or will it be limited to nintendo news only?
If the data gets dumped it will be in a separate thread to this. It will still be in this subforum though to start with, as well as other threads dotted around.

I think I'd like to have two threads, one for the raw data and one for the discussion of the data IF there is any to be released/uncovered. Chances are if it gets dumped there won't be a lot to research. It's usually incredibly comprehensive. The only reason it wasn't for XY is because the 3DS had not yet been "cracked" and they couldn't get the information from the game. That issue has been solved. If its anything like the ORAS demo, it will not be a huge selection of mons and will likely take place "away" from Alola.

So since we've had enough inappropriate psuedo-intelligent shoehorning of political commentary in this thread already, who else is joining me in naming their Event Munchlax "The Fat Man" for Pulverizing Pancake's final animation sequence?
Well, the only problem is that the Event Pokemon can't be named unless you're ridiculously luckly. So probably not.

I think I'd like to have two threads, one for the raw data and one for the discussion of the data IF there is any to be released/uncovered. Chances are if it gets dumped there won't be a lot to research. It's usually incredibly comprehensive. The only reason it wasn't for XY is because the 3DS had not yet been "cracked" and they couldn't get the information from the game. That issue has been solved.
Oh... those days when base stats were approximate. What a mess that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)