Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKIII *Official Media Only*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokeball throwing game strong.

Red's shirt says '96', so 20 years has passed. Red is 30 years old (10 when he first started out), good lord I feel old.
I'd say he's more like in his twenties. Looks too young for his thirties... but then again, he looked too young for at least 16+ in PWT.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
An interesting thing to note from the official site description of Tapu Lele:
Psychic Terrain is a move that no Pokémon was previously able to learn, and using it will boost the power of any Psychic-type moves used by Pokémon on the ground and prevent them from being hit by priority moves.
This is not unexpected due to the way other terrains worked, but what it means is that the field effect causes grounded pokemon to be immune, rather than causing the moves to fail. Which would mean flying and levitating pokemon will still always be vulnerable to priority. Obviously it is impossible to say how well distributed Psychic Terrain will be, so it may not be something you see a lot, in game or otherwise. However, I like the fact that this, and the potential greater prevalence of other terrains would greater differentiate pokemon by a trait other than type (groundedness).

red's forearms being disproportionately large to the rest of his body triggers me

it's as if he skips every single day aside from forearm day

I just noticed it and now it's driving me crazy, thanks

Also, someone needs to draw him dressed as Soldier:76 but in a white/red outfit with the 96 on the jacket instead of 76

An interesting thing to note from the official site description of Tapu Lele:

This is not unexpected due to the way other terrains worked, but what it means is that the field effect causes grounded pokemon to be immune, rather than causing the moves to fail. Which would mean flying and levitating pokemon will still always be vulnerable to priority. Obviously it is impossible to say how well distributed Psychic Terrain will be, so it may not be something you see a lot, in game or otherwise. However, I like the fact that this, and the potential greater prevalence of other terrains would greater differentiate pokemon by a trait other than type (groundedness).
I noticed they seemed to have buffed the terrains. Mainly grass terrain it says that any pokemon grounded are healed when before it was grass pokemon only. I assume they tweaked all the terrain to make them better, since they were very lakeluster last gen

I noticed they seemed to have buffed the terrains. Mainly grass terrain it says that any pokemon grounded are healed when before it was grass pokemon only. I assume they tweaked all the terrain to make them better, since they were very lakeluster last gen
No, it always healed all grounded Pokemon. You are confusing it with increasing Grass-type damage by 50%. Or Gogoat's ability, which only works on Grassy Terrain.

No, it always healed all grounded Pokemon. You are confusing it with increasing Grass-type damage by 50%. Or Gogoat's ability, which only works on Grassy Terrain.
Ah ok. My bad. I just knew no one ever used the terrain moves and just assumed they buffed them

*sigh* well there goes my mono-Flying bird team for in-game... I don't know whether I'll choose Rowlet or Litten now. Incineroar is actually growing on me a lot. Yes, it's bipedal and cartoonish, but that's why I like it. It's memorable and it looks fast and powerful, which are traits I rarely pick in a starter. I'll just need to see the rest of the dex and their stats before making a commitment of such great importance.

My thoughts on the new trailer ( I'll try not to write a WoT )

The Starters

Obviously not surprised by their design, however, I do like some of them more than I did before when all we had were their concept art. The 3d models really warmed me up to Incineroar and Prima(donna)rina, giving them a lot more of personality, which is something I think they all lacked before—some simply more than others.

Deciduey's ghost typing kind of came out of nowhere to me, and the reason we're given for said typing feels even more out of place. In fact, the ghost-type pokemon of Alola in general so far don't quite fit the mold of ghost-type pokemon from previous generations, where ghost-type pokemon are more closely associated with death and the afterlife; nor do they have the 'mainstream media' ghost design, which is most likely why it seems so weird to me.

Overall, I like all the final stages of our starters for this gen; something that hasn't happened since... I don't actually know.

The Tapus

Tapu Lele
: It looks adorable and its Psychic Surge ability is quite possibly the most anti-meta ability we've gotten yet. Queenly Majesty and Dazzling pale in comparison to this, as unlike the latter, Psychic Surge isn't actually tied to the Pokemon, so Tapu Lele doesn't actually need too much staying power in order to be viable.
Pretty great all around.

Tapu Fini : Now that I've seen its 3d model, it actually looks like a little mermaid; pretty cute just like Tapu Lele. Its ability, Misty Surge, isn't anything ground-breaking by anymeans but auto-protection against Status and CONFUSION is something that I can groove on.

Tapu-Bulu : I don't actually know what to think of this thing; it doesn't really have any defining characterestic to me and it's design kind of feel all over the place. Grassy Surge is definitely the most underwhelming ability of the quartet imo.

Overall, I like their dynamic and how closely they are related to the ecosystem. Perhaps they could even have some connection to Zygarde? That would be interesting. I'd also like to point out that, unless my eyes are deceiving me, their exclusive Z-move seems to reduce the opposing pokemon's health to exactly 25%. Could it be a buffed up version of Nature’s Madness, their seemingly signature move?

RED & BLUE
Your face when: ... ... ...

Anyways, there's a lot more I wanna talk about, but I'll make another post some other time since this one is already getting longer than I had anticipated. #hype

The inclusion of Wally being present in the Battle Tree makes me want to believe we'll be seeing other rival characters such as Silver, Hugh, Cheren, Bianca and the like. To add to that, I'd love to see previous playable characters from the past games be present as well (May, Hilbert,etc). All the Champions are a given, cause Cynthia and Blue are there.

I'd love to pair up with either Cheren, N, or Iris in the Multi Battle mode for Battle Tree. X)

*sigh* well there goes my mono-Flying bird team for in-game... I don't know whether I'll choose Rowlet or Litten now. Incineroar is actually growing on me a lot. Yes, it's bipedal and cartoonish, but that's why I like it. It's memorable and it looks fast and powerful, which are traits I rarely pick in a starter. I'll just need to see the rest of the dex and their stats before making a commitment of such great importance.
I know how you feel. I initially chose Litten, but seeing Primarina, I'm having Second thoughts.

I will still pick Rowlet, but I actually like all three final evolutions - Decidueye because it's a dinosaur (and my first in-game team will be Gen VII dinos/reptiles), Incineroar is kinda cool (although like almost always, the Fire starter has the weakest designs... but it's not a bad thing this time, and it's a massive improvement over last gen) and Primarina's cutely deceitful fairy works. Plus they show a lot of personality in their animations (Torracat is the only one that failed at that).

The only other time it happened to me was with the Gen III starters.

Digging this news. Grass/ghost for Rowlett's final evo is solid typing and the animated models have warmed up the other final stages for me.

I just want to point out that the Tapus are looking to be quite strong given their typings and abilities. Not only are they aesthetically the coolest looking trio/quartet legends in my opinion since GSC's legendary beasts, but they are strong too. Koko and Fini have great offensive typings, Bulu has a great set of resistances, and Lele has a sick new terrain that changes the game. Nature's power / Alolan guardian Z-move is actually one of the best coverage moves in the game, because having 50-75% of your health shaved off in one turn makes it much harder to survive a terrain-boosted Electric/Grass/Psychic attack even if you resist it. And in Fini's case, Water is already one of the best offensive types. Super looking forward to using these in my team.

Anyone else hope we'll see Barry appear? There is Cynthia, so it would make sense to have our Gen 4 rival.
Well, Wally is there. He's not a Champion or a Gym Leader (assuming Gym Leaders are present in Battle Tree, you could consider them 'famous' in a sense) so it would make sense for other rivals to be present as well.

My guess is:
- All Protagonists present
- All Rival characters present
- All Champion present
- Gym Leaders present, hopefully

Well, Wally is there. He's not a Champion or a Gym Leader (assuming Gym Leaders are present in Battle Tree, you could consider them 'famous' in a sense) so it would make sense for other rivals to be present as well.

My guess is:
- All Protagonists present
- All Rival characters present
- All Champion present
- Gym Leaders present, hopefully
This seems like it'd be a bit -too- much. But you never know, all that space in the game can't have just gone to overworld graphics and music...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)