Gengar

i tbh only use PS as last resort.
SUb Ball Blast etc, when ehalth is down, split if deal high damage.

What about this Set:

Torment
Disable
Substitude
Shadow Ball

You sub on the switch, and use torment.
As the enemy attacks and breaks the sub, you use disable.

they swich (and you probably use another sub) and repeat, it can be good with hazards since they can't blow them, so it could work as an stalish gengar

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
they swich (and you probably use another sub) and repeat, it can be good with hazards since they can't blow them, so it could work as an stalish gengar
Without focus blast, this thing becomes pursuit bait for tyranitar. Not the kind of situation you want to be in.

Without focus blast, this thing becomes pursuit bait for tyranitar. Not the kind of situation you want to be in.
Not a problem. On the turn TTar switches in, you sub. Next turn, you Torment, they Pursuit, breaking your sub. Then you can switch out freely because TTar can't Pursuit next turn due to Torment.

Not a problem. On the turn TTar switches in, you sub. Next turn, you Torment, they Pursuit, breaking your sub. Then you can switch out freely because TTar can't Pursuit next turn due to Torment.
if they break your sub with pursuit you can just disable pursuit...

What about this Set:

Torment
Disable
Substitude
Shadow Ball

You sub on the switch, and use torment.
As the enemy attacks and breaks the sub, you use disable.
Torment really doesn't accomplish anything that disable doesn't already on this set. Your better off going with Pain Split so you can keep up your sheniganry for longer periods of time, or focus blast so you can dish out more damage to more threats.

I'd say protect would go better over disable. I ran a similar set, and it can stall to hell and back, particularly if the opponent doesn't have a toxic spikes absorber. At the very least it can give you an advantage vs. an opposing steel-type who can't be stalled out by sub/protect/torment.

Forgive me, for I am noob.

I've been using this to some success, although god knows what that means in relative terms seeing as I'm probably not playing anyone remotely accomplished at the game. I find it works reasonably well as an anti-metagame poké though.

Gengar @ Life Orb.
Timid
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd
Destiny Bond
Taunt
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Fire)

Generally I switch in on an immunity, or Ferrothorn, or something along those lines and manage to fire off a quick Taunt, which has been effective regardless of whether they've stayed in or switched in some sort of counter. If Ferrothorn stays in HP takes care of it, as well as hitting a lot of other things quite hard. I honestly don't find that I've missed Shadow Ball, but that's probably more to do with the rest of my team than anything else... Destiny Bond usually succeeds in taking something down with it, and Thunderbolt is there for coverage. It could be that it fits my team incredibly well rather than being good in itself but it's definitely the Gengar set that's worked best for me in my limited history of playing competitively. I'd like it to be slated now, thanks. Just so I know how things will work when I get good enough to play people who are skilled. :)

Tyranitar pretty much eats you for breakfast, but you do take it down with you unless its scarfed, and who uses that nowadays?

Looks promising!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The subdisable gengar IS A COMPLETE PAIN! Gengar deserves it's honor as one of two(snorlax and zapdos dropped down to UU this gen) pokemon to remain OU for 5 generations Gengar will always be the best in my eyes, A classic.

TBH that's pretty easy to play around. Anytime I'm against a pokemon I know has disable and uses it some frequenty, I always hit it with a different move than the one I just used to break its sub or something.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I came up with this set a few months ago. Never got around to sharing it.

Destiny Smog
Frenzy (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Clear Smog
- Destiny Bond

It's pretty much the bane of anything that likes to set-up on Destiny Bond Gengar, almost always taking at least one Pokemon with it. There's almost no playing around it unlike the SubDisable set. Say you're fighting a Volcarona. Volca uses Quiver Dance and Gengar uses Destiny Bond. Volcarona now just laughs and boosts it's stats further the next turn now that it's faster and has the upper-hand against Destiny Bond but then the now slower Gengar uses Clear Smog being protected by Destiny Bond still. Now Volcarona's back at 0 and has taken damage from Clear Smog. Gengar can now Sub or Destiny Bond now that he's faster again and repeat the process. While Clear Smog only has 50 Power, it is a STAB Poison move so it's basically a slightly stronger Hidden Power Poison (75) coming from any other Pokemon so it does add up after a few hits.

The only downside to the set is that it can't do anything to Steel-types unless it keeps Destiny Bond hidden and springs it on them while they try to break his Subs. It's a really nice Pokemon to have around if you accidentally let something Bulk Up or Calm Mind so far that it becomes entirely unmanageable and having Destiny Bond can remove problem Pokemon altogether with little to no effort.

I came up with this set a few months ago. Never got around to sharing it.

Destiny Smog
Frenzy (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Clear Smog
- Destiny Bond

It's pretty much the bane of anything that likes to set-up on Destiny Bond Gengar, almost always taking at least one Pokemon with it. There's almost no playing around it unlike the SubDisable set. Say you're fighting a Volcarona. Volca uses Quiver Dance and Gengar uses Destiny Bond. Volcarona now just laughs and boosts it's stats further the next turn now that it's faster and has the upper-hand against Destiny Bond but then the now slower Gengar uses Clear Smog being protected by Destiny Bond still. Now Volcarona's back at 0 and has taken damage from Clear Smog. Gengar can now Sub or Destiny Bond now that he's faster again and repeat the process. While Clear Smog only has 50 Power, it is a STAB Poison move so it's basically a slightly stronger Hidden Power Poison (75) coming from any other Pokemon so it does add up after a few hits.

The only downside to the set is that it can't do anything to Steel-types unless it keeps Destiny Bond hidden and springs it on them while they try to break his Subs. It's a really nice Pokemon to have around if you accidentally let something Bulk Up or Calm Mind so far that it becomes entirely unmanageable and having Destiny Bond can remove problem Pokemon altogether with little to no effort.
Wow, I wanna try this set out! You are truly a master at creative sets Katakiri (loved your RMT)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
TBH that's pretty easy to play around. Anytime I'm against a pokemon I know has disable and uses it some frequenty, I always hit it with a different move than the one I just used to break its sub or something.
But that move will always end up disabled unless your faster then gengar which is pretty hard to do.

Levitate is sooo far superior. Gives him free switch-ins and ground is a too common atacking type to be just thrown away. Plus it helps it with its frailty not to be affected by Spikes. Nothing is able to take away its niche due to its incredible stats.

It should care about the overwhelming power of the new metagame, its speed its just not enough. Seems that every scarfed heavy attacker can take it down, and jeez we're full of them this gen.

Levitate is sooo far superior. Gives him free switch-ins and ground is a too common atacking type to be just thrown away. Plus it helps it with its frailty not to be affected by Spikes. Nothing is able to take away its niche due to its incredible stats.

It should care about the overwhelming power of the new metagame, its speed its just not enough. Seems that every scarfed heavy attacker can take it down, and jeez we're full of them this gen.
???

Levitate is Gengar's only ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)