Good Playstation 2 Games?

Just in time for the holidays, I'm thinking about getting a Playstation 3! But not the new ones. I want one that can play PS2 games because I missed out on all the greats like KH, FF's, and others. I was told by my friends the PS2 games had to be forward compatible.

1. Do the games need to be forward compatible and how do I find out?

2. What are some good PS2 games I can buy for cheap to play on the PS3?

Forward compatible? I'm pretty sure this is impossible for videogames, but if the PS3 is backwards compatible (which is what being able to play older generation games means), then why does this matter?

In short, all PS2 games are "forward compatible" in a sense if the PS3 is backwards compatible.

I'm a big Nippon Ichi/NIS America fan, so if you can find their games (especially Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and Makai Kingdom), get them. I haven't played any of their titles newer than Makai Kingdom/Disgaea 2, however, so you may want to get second opinions before buying those (basically any title with "Alchemist" in the title that's not 1 or 2, any Al Khemia title, etc.).

Katamari Damacy was an amazing game, although I'm not sure how easily you'll be able to find it. It's had many sequels as well, but they're all basically the same game from what I've heard.

Dragon Quest VII is a quite enjoyable game if you like RPGs, especially if you like the Dragon Warrior/Quest franchise.

Action game recommendations:

Devil May Cry 3, and to a lesser extent the original DMC. Both are fantastic but 3 is the best in the series. You really can't get any better than DMC 3 in an action game.

God Hand. A thousand times God Hand. Nothing beats the style and sheer difficulty of this game.

Viewtiful Joe is a solid choice, I believe a few of those games came out on PS2.

If you like cannon-fodder enemies, button mashing, and auto-kill buttons, then God of War is for you.

I heartily agree with God Hand and VJ, if you have yet to play either.

If you're into JRPGs, Persona 4 is really good, though you also have to get into the date sim aspect.

That said, IIRC the PS3 doesn't play all PS2 games, but I don't know if that was fixed yet or not. As for a list I have no idea.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you are buying a new PS3, it will not play any PlayStation 2 games. It will only play PlayStation 1 games. To get a PS3 that can play PS2 games, you'll need to get one of the oldest units. The trade-off is that they'll be noisier, more prone to failure (Yellow Light of Death) and out of warranty.

I'd recommend getting a PS3 Slim + PS2 Slim if you want both. There's really not much else you can do.

The units that play 80% of PS2 games MIGHT be found but they're quite expensive anyway. Those are the units that are in the Metal Gear Solid 4 and Motorstorm Bundles.

Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 are both great and unique RPGs with lots of game time. Persona 4 in particular is incredible, quite possibly the best PS2 game out there.

Final Fantasy X is a classic and really solid RPG. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time has is an action RPG with a slow and sort of questionable story but fantastic gameplay.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 (make sure the copy of 3 you get is Subsistence) are both great action/stealth games, the reputation the MGS series has should speak for itself.

The Ratchet and Clank series is good if you're into action/platforming at all.

Shadow of the Collossus, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, any Final Fantasy except X-II, Ratchet and Clank, etc. are all good games.

EDIT: also, yeah, the PS3s do not play PS2 games. The backward compatibility was removed.

If you are buying a new PS3, it will not play any PlayStation 2 games. It will only play PlayStation 1 games. To get a PS3 that can play PS2 games, you'll need to get one of the oldest units. The trade-off is that they'll be noisier, more prone to failure (Yellow Light of Death) and out of warranty.

I'd recommend getting a PS3 Slim + PS2 Slim if you want both. There's really not much else you can do.

The units that play 80% of PS2 games MIGHT be found but they're quite expensive anyway. Those are the units that are in the Metal Gear Solid 4 and Motorstorm Bundles.
Yeah the price of a used ps2 from gamestop is less than 40$ now and they are well refurbished.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Sly Cooper series if you're into platformers. Really underrated series and can be found for very cheap.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
looking at my library I would say GTA 3, GTA vice city, mgs 1 (PS1), mgs 2, mgs 3 (ESPECIALLY), god of war 1 and 2, and resident evil four.

Uhhhh.....

Final Fantasy X (And maybe XII)
Kingdom Hearts 1 (And if you liked it maybe 2 and the CoM remake)
God Of War 1 & 2
Ratchet and Clank (Get the whole series, they're pretty cheap now too)
Sly 2 (Get the entire series too if you liked the 2nd one)
Jak (Only played Jak 2 but its great)
Okami (My favorite PS2 game, get this over the Wii version)
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Metal Gear Solid 3
Resident Evil 4

Thats all I can name off the top of my head.

If you're looking for a great RPG, DragonQuest 8 is awesome. I've gotten 100+ hours on it. It's a turn based game, very in depth story and has some side quests. Cartoonish look, the artist is the same as the one who did Dragonball Z. My favorite PS2 game

The Playstation 2 is a console that has a terrific game library, especially if you like JRPGs. Apart from the obvious Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, there's also Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Quest, Xenosaga, the Shin Megami Tensai titles (including the Persona games), and Disgaea (admittedly more SRPG than JRPG but still great). If JRPGs are your thing, I recommend that you find some way to play Playstation 2 games, even if it involves buying a Playstation 2. (I personally just bought this thing, which I am told can run PS2 games decently.) Besides that, the Jak series and Ratchet and Clank series are also good 3D platformers. Then, who could forget Metal Gear Solid and Katamari Damacy

The Playstation 2 is a platform that just refuses to die. Persona 4 was one of the best games of 2008, and it was a Playstation 2 exclusive. 2009 brought us another game exclusive to the Playstation 2 in Melty Blood Actress Again. If you like 2D fighters, it may be your thing, but it is not a title that was designed to appeal to those who aren't fans of the genre, which seems to be a trend that a lot of other 2D fighters followed in 2009. (Street Fighter IV and BlazBlue, specifically.) To quote one of my 2D-fighter-fanatic acquaintences, "I think it [Melty Blood Actress Again] is going to be my main fighting game soon, due to Guilty Gear dying, BlazBlue being super mediocre, and Street Fighter IV is like taking a nap." If you agree with his sentiments, Melty Blood may be a game that would interest you.

I'd like to add Star Ocean: Till the End of Time to the list of fine JRPGs the PS2 has. It was a Greatest Hits game too, so it will be dirt cheap if you can find it.

The Gran Turismo series is one of the best racing game series of all time.
Something similar, but with bikes is Tourist Throphy.
Also, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)