Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have a fainted lv 39 Pokemon in the first slot of my party and a lv 100 Smeragle in slot 2, and I use a repel, does repel factor in the fainted Pokemon in slot 1 (meaning it repels up to lv 39+) or the Smeragle?
Its whoever is in your first slot of your party that matters. Even if the Pokemon is fainted, you will still be able to run into wild Pokemon regardless of whether or not its unable to battle.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
carbink has the move skill swap and the hidden ability sturdy. carbink uses skill swap on shedinja and then on spritomb.
I was under the impression that Skill Swap failed if either the user or target had the ability Wonder Guard, which would render this whole plan moot.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Considering all these Pokemon are hacks, you really shouldn't be mentioning them here. I would suggest you check out Balanced Hackmons up in the Other Metas as you will be instantly blacklisted if you battle with these Pokemon vs a Smogoner.

Also: As other people have said, this is the Ingame section of Smogon, we do not battle vs people here.
They aren't hacks, the carbink has the move skill swap and the hidden ability sturdy. carbink uses skill swap on shedinja and then on spritomb. but this was my very first post on smogon and the only reason i posted on this page is because i found this one using the advanced search feature. sorry about the mix up, i should have labeled it clearer.
I was under the impression that Skill Swap failed if either the user or target had the ability Wonder Guard, which would render this whole plan moot.
Just to help Onihunter93 out, this person speaks the truth: sturdy shedinja is not a hack, and can be done in-game. But, it is a gimmick, and difficult to pull off in a real match situation.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not to mention that it's near-useless against a skilled player, since the setup requires a few turns, during which your choice of Pokémon completely give away what you're trying to do (and that even with Sturdy, there are dozens of things that can finish off Shedinja, and Wonder Guard Spiritomb can also be worn down or mashed with common Fairy moves). While it's cool to do against friends, it's not a recommended strategy against experienced battlers.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, it would be gimmicky even if Skill Swapping Sturdy over worked unaided, and needing to also use Worry Seed to get around not being able to Skill Swap with Wonder Guard Shedinja makes it even more so. But that was a fun video. In small doses, gimmicks can be enjoyable. Just don't expect a good winning percentage.

Just to help Onihunter93 out, this person speaks the truth: sturdy shedinja is not a hack, and can be done in-game. But, it is a gimmick, and difficult to pull off in a real match situation.

thanks for your support, and i deserve all the flak i get for this "team", as i have never played competitively before. i only wanted to try it just for fun. i'm a casual gamer and i only play for fun. it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. the only reason i wanted to try this is from the video i'll put below. funny as heck, and pretty good usage.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
At all of you: They way it was described in the original post was simply as "Sturdinja"/"Wondertomb" there was no indication that this would be an actual strategy.

As of now, and his second post actually *explaining* what he meant with those terms, it made sense. Please be more clear in the future when throwing around things like "Wondertomb" or "Sturdinja". Those names are generally used to refer to the hacks around these very commonly made Pokemon.

They aren't hacks, the carbink has the move skill swap and the hidden ability sturdy. carbink uses skill swap on shedinja and then on spritomb. but this was my very first post on smogon and the only reason i posted on this page is because i found this one using the advanced search feature. sorry about the mix up, i should have labeled it clearer.
This post explains what he meant, which is fine. Its perfectly legal. Again, I would suggest hitting up some of the battling forums for help with teams and the like, as this place (Orange Islands) is not for battling.

sorry DHR-107, i'm a noob when it comes to competitive battles, and i only recently created my account here on smogon. i've posted on the mentor ship to ask if anyone is willing to help me out in learning the basics of competitive battles. i'm sorry for any confusion I've caused you. i wont post on this page again until i have learned more about what each forum is dedicated to. thank you for your comments as they have given me experience. i wish you all luck, and i hope you'll do the same for me.

hehe... i just realized i made a few references to the game. hehe... caused confusion... gained experience... hehe

Last edited by a moderator:

Player-0

(*′☉.̫☉)
The special Vivillon got released today. What does Holding Hands do exactly? I read the description, but it just says it makes pokemon happy. Is it like helping hand or something?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
What a let down. Why would they do that?
Well it's still good for a collector Pokémon. Maybe you're not going to use Holding Hands during your run of Pokémon X on your beloved Vivillon, but in a couple of years time you can say to your friends "HEY I HAVE HOLDING HANDS ON MY VIVILLON" and it will actually be an achievement.

If you want my advice on how to get the most out of the move, trade that Vivillon into Pokémon Bank or a file of X or Y that you don't use and keep it there for a couple of years!

Player-0

(*′☉.̫☉)
Well it's still good for a collector Pokémon. Maybe you're not going to use Holding Hands during your run of Pokémon X on your beloved Vivillon, but in a couple of years time you can say to your friends "HEY I HAVE HOLDING HANDS ON MY VIVILLON" and it will actually be an achievement.

If you want my advice on how to get the most out of the move, trade that Vivillon into Pokémon Bank or a file of X or Y that you don't use and keep it there for a couple of years!
Just like my notched eared pichu, right?

Hello. First time poster here. I apologize if this is in the wrong thread. I am currently playing x and was wanting to get my hands on my favorite pokemon heracross with moxie (female for breeding). If someone has it in there friend safari or is willing to trade please let me know. My friend code is 5069 5348 8678. I have emolga and electabuzz in my safari. Thank you so much and excited to have found smogon!

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hello. First time poster here. I apologize if this is in the wrong thread. I am currently playing x and was wanting to get my hands on my favorite pokemon heracross with moxie (female for breeding). If someone has it in there friend safari or is willing to trade please let me know. My friend code is 5069 5348 8678. I have emolga and electabuzz in my safari. Thank you so much and excited to have found smogon!
Hey Blacksen! One of the safaris that I have access to has Heracross. I can grab you a female. Do you want it caught in a specific Poke Ball for breeding?

So I've got a few questions about breeding in Gen V.

Power items guarantee the inheritance of one IV - is this 100% right because when I have (ie) one Electrike and one Ditto in Daycare, I have one offspring with neither of those (31) IVs passed down and a 30 in another unwanted stat (attack). How can this be?
With regards to egg moves, I'm rubbish at passing them in most cases. I believe this (along with most other aspects of breeding) is easier in XY where male and female can pass moves down? Can someone link me to the on site guide?
Does the inheritance of egg moves work well? I assume I couldn't teach a Sneasel Knock Off in BW2 and then breed it onto a Sneasel in XY.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So I've got a few questions about breeding in Gen V.

Power items guarantee the inheritance of one IV - is this 100% right because when I have (ie) one Electrike and one Ditto in Daycare, I have one offspring with neither of those (31) IVs passed down and a 30 in another unwanted stat (attack). How can this be?
With regards to egg moves, I'm rubbish at passing them in most cases. I believe this (along with most other aspects of breeding) is easier in XY where male and female can pass moves down? Can someone link me to the on site guide?
Does the inheritance of egg moves work well? I assume I couldn't teach a Sneasel Knock Off in BW2 and then breed it onto a Sneasel in XY.
IV inheritance from power items fails when both Pokemon are equipped with power items. You can only have one Pokemon holding a power item during breeding. In BW, only male Pokemon can pass egg moves down to offspring. Only moves marked as egg moves on Serebii/Bulbapedia can be inherited via breeding. Tutor moves like Knock Off can not be passed on unless they are also egg moves. Male parents are also capable of passing on TM/HM moves. If both parents know a level up move, the offspring will know that move.

IV inheritance from power items fails when both Pokemon are equipped with power items. You can only have one Pokemon holding a power item during breeding. In BW, only male Pokemon can pass egg moves down to offspring. Only moves marked as egg moves on Serebii/Bulbapedia can be inherited via breeding. Tutor moves like Knock Off can not be passed on unless they are also egg moves. Male parents are also capable of passing on TM/HM moves. If both parents know a level up move, the offspring will know that move.
I've bolded the one bit I didn't know. It seems like I have blagged the good pokemon i have bred so far, I've almost exclusively used two power items in my BW breeding. I guess that's why the Destiny Knot was such a big deal in XY

The special Vivillon got released today. What does Holding Hands do exactly? I read the description, but it just says it makes pokemon happy. Is it like helping hand or something?
maybe it increases happiness value?

turns out that you were right about skill swap failing on wonder guard. i tried it while playing with my younger brother, failed like a boss. i guess i'll just focus band. thank you for the help, sorry about your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
turns out that you were right about skill swap failing on wonder guard. i tried it while playing with my younger brother, failed like a boss. i guess i'll just focus band. thank you for the help, sorry about your time.
I'd recommend Focus Sash, it's guaranteed to let you survive one hit. Focus Band can activate multiple times, but it only has a 10% chance which is not reliable at all. (The same chance that an Ice Beam will freeze, for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)