Have a question? Ask it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Back in BW, before the format changed, if you clicked on a move / item / ability on that subpage there was a short paragraph detailing its viability (or lack thereof). Could we do something like that again? Stuff I've got in mind:

Flyinium Z

Usually used to negate the drawbacks of the more powerful Flying type moves, notably Hurricane's low accuracy, Brave Bird's recoil, and the charge turns of Fly and Bounce. A fairly common item in OU, with notable users including Landorus-T, Tornadus-T and Gyarados.

Stone Edge

Despite its shaky accuracy, Stone Edge is still the go to STAB for most physically inclined Rock types. The power difference compared to Rock Slide means it is still the preferred option most of the time. It also commonly sees use as a coverage move on Ground, Fighting and Grass types, to hit the Bug and Flying types that resist their STABs for super effective damage.

Mewtwonite X

Mega Mewtwo X is laregly outclassed as a physically inclined Psychic type by Dusk Mane Necrozma and Ultra Necrozma, which have better typing, more useful abilities and don't fill your mega slot. As a Fighting type, it is often eclipsed by Marshadow and Mega Lucario; the former has Spectral Thief and perfect neutral coverage with its STABs, the latter can also check Xerneas. There's little reason to use Mega Mewtwo X.

Guts

Guts is a fantastic ability for any physical attacker, as it lets them bypass the burns which would normally shut them down, and actually use them to power up. In fact, many Pokemon with Guts run the item Flame Orb so they can always get the boost.
To start, that was an absolutely massive project, and took months of work. My desire would be to have something like that again, yes, but there now exists nearly double the items/moves/abilities that it would be even more of an undertaking to make work, on top of us already nearing another generation, and so much of our contribution effort currently being alloted to just filling the dex with the necessary analyses, that I don't see this sort of thing nearing completion any time soon. Even crowdsourcing it out like the last one would take probably at least 2 years of work going by how long it took in bw, not to mention the fact that I don't know anybody that would be dedicated enough to lead it as bmb was, or myself, and our most dedicated are already pretty much at their max contribution level. Maybe someday

I have a question, I wanna suggest something for a room on ps, found the forum for it, yet I don’t know how to post. I swear I found a forum somewhere about it once. Where is it? If there isn’t one, what format do I post in?

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
I have a question, I wanna suggest something for a room on ps, found the forum for it, yet I don’t know how to post. I swear I found a forum somewhere about it once. Where is it? If there isn’t one, what format do I post in?
Hi, this thread is for simple questions and answers about the contributions and corrections (C&C) subforum, which is where we write and edit competitive Pokemon analyses (introduction here). For PS questions, you can try their SQSA thread. If you want to suggest things for specific PS rooms, you can always contact their room owners on the sim as well.

Why do the analyses usually get translated to European languages only? Aren't there a few Asians who play Pokemon?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Why do the analyses usually get translated to European languages only? Aren't there a few Asians who play Pokemon?
The Eastern Asian community on Smogon has historically been tiny. In fact, there are probably more members from Bangladesh and India than there are from Japan on Smogon for the simple fact that there is an entire competitive Pokemon community in Japan on a different website and we just don't inter-mingle due to the language barrier and approach/philosophy to tiering. The Chinese/Hong Kong representation is also pretty small due to ~other~ reasons. Conversely, Smogon stands at the forefront of the Pokemon competitive community for the Western hemisphere, hence the need to translate for European languages.

For these facts, there is not a need to translate our analyses to Asian languages as there already exists a wealth in Japanese and the members from Bangladesh and India largely already speak English.

Oglemi

Borf
https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/chaining
https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/dpp_pokeradar
Why do we have 2 guides that say mostly the same things and a few conflicting things?
FroggestSpirit's article was probably at one point meant to be absorbed as an update to Diesel's guide, but due to time passage it was simply uploaded as its own entity. If you want to point out the conflicting points in the objective changes thread feel free; our stuff can repeat itself if it's at least accurate imo.

I'll probably restructure the names of the articles to indicate that Diesel's is much older than FroggestSpirit's (and therefore probably the less accurate one). But I think it would be worth keeping both up.

Emeral

toward new horizons
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
Hey ! I have been playing DPP a lot during the past few months and my favorite tool is the strategy pokedex because it often helps me to find out cool ideas for my teambuilding.
However, some of the analysis are really outdated right now and many Pokémons have new sets that are not mentionned in the current article.

Popular sets that come to my mind :
Magnezone @ Custap Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Endure
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Explosion
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
Tyranitar @ Passho Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SpD (
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock / Ice beam
- Fire Blast / Ice beam / Superpower / Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit / Earthquake / Stone Edge

Special mention to Latias belonging to over used since the last suspect but she does not have a dept analysis for OU.
Futhermore, analysis and teambuilding advice could be updated on specifics sets. Some sets also have now new options possible that did not exist in the past years, for exemple Jirachi variants, Colbur Berry Starmie, Custap Metagross / Machamp. That's all I'll mention because I do not want this post to be that long.
Also, some movesets are not in the right order. For exemple, Wish Support Blissey is listed first when the softboiled + stealth rocks variant is ten times more popular so I would swap them.

So came here to ask; is there any way the community could contribute to revamp this job that DPP players did in order to make it better analysis in the current stage of DPP ?

Oglemi

Borf
Hey ! I have been playing DPP a lot during the past few months and my favorite tool is the strategy pokedex because it often helps me to find out cool ideas for my teambuilding.
However, some of the analysis are really outdated right now and many Pokémons have new sets that are not mentionned in the current article.

Popular sets that come to my mind :
Magnezone @ Custap Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Endure
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Explosion
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
Tyranitar @ Passho Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SpD (
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock / Ice beam
- Fire Blast / Ice beam / Superpower / Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit / Earthquake / Stone Edge

Special mention to Latias belonging to over used since the last suspect but she does not have a dept analysis for OU.
Futhermore, analysis and teambuilding advice could be updated on specifics sets. Some sets also have now new options possible that did not exist in the past years, for exemple Jirachi variants, Colbur Berry Starmie, Custap Metagross / Machamp. That's all I'll mention because I do not want this post to be that long.
Also, some movesets are not in the right order. For exemple, Wish Support Blissey is listed first when the softboiled + stealth rocks variant is ten times more popular so I would swap them.

So came here to ask; is there any way the community could contribute to revamp this job that DPP players did in order to make it better analysis in the current stage of DPP ?
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/past-generation-analyses-reservation-index-v2.3646388/
There will be a larger focus on DPP and BW following the conclusion of SPL, and I think adding the sets that you mentioned would be valuable.

However, I would be hesitant on adding anything about Latias at this point. It's placement in the tier is not finalized as far as I'm aware. IIRC there will be another vote taking place to finalize that in the future. Although a quick writeup wouldn't hurt anything, especially to get her commonly used stuff onto the Dex.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
I've always wondered about this ever since Credits came out for analyses. Has crediting AM QC and GP checkers for stamped AM checks ever been considered? I think it would be a neat way to reward someone for doing a good job checking an individual analysis beyond just working towards becoming an official QC / GP member.

Is it possible to include links in move descriptions on the dex? I've been looking at, eg. Misty Surge, and wishing it either contained a link to Misty Terrain or a description of the terrain effect it summons directly. (Similar issue for both terrain and weather-summoning abilities)

I'm sure more experienced battlers already know the effects, but they're not the ones looking at ability descriptions to begin with.

Oglemi

Borf
I've always wondered about this ever since Credits came out for analyses. Has crediting AM QC and GP checkers for stamped AM checks ever been considered? I think it would be a neat way to reward someone for doing a good job checking an individual analysis beyond just working towards becoming an official QC / GP member.
Considered yes. We (me and tdp discussed it) decided that am checks are too vague and varied to really consider adding to the credits and decided it was best to stay objective and include only stamps. For the dpp analyses where many were written before the formation of either team, I was quite a bit more subjective on who to add to the credits.

Downside to this method is that it could very well turn out, as it does happen often, that one QCer will put in a ton of work on an analysis but not stamp it at the time and then another QCer comes along and actually stamps it. In a perfect world I would credit both, but to just keep things even and as simple as possible we're only including those that stamped the analysis.

If this is an issue that more have a problem with i'm sure tdp and Hootie could be convinced to change their mind.

Oglemi

Borf
Is it possible to include links in move descriptions on the dex? I've been looking at, eg. Misty Surge, and wishing it either contained a link to Misty Terrain or a description of the terrain effect it summons directly. (Similar issue for both terrain and weather-summoning abilities)

I'm sure more experienced battlers already know the effects, but they're not the ones looking at ability descriptions to begin with.
Possible yes. If you want to include what all you would like to see linked in the subjective changes thread someone could get to it eventually depending on if we feel it is pertinent or useful.

Is there a database for event-exclusive move access? It would be nice to be able to see in one place all the restrictions Pokemon have on certain moves. I haven't found one on any Pokemon site.

Oglemi

Borf
Is there a database for event-exclusive move access? It would be nice to be able to see in one place all the restrictions Pokemon have on certain moves. I haven't found one on any Pokemon site.
If you find one let me know too. Our dex should have all of the event moves in their respective pokemon's moveopools, but not labeled as such (at least until we get an in-game dex off the ground). Bulbapedia has most, if not all, but navigating it is a nightmare as they separate them by type of event and by generation. The PS dex has the event moves labeled as such in their movepools, but does not recognize event restrictions (ie getting different event moves on one pokemon, they're all just labeled "event").

Why do translated analyses use English names in the gray box at the top of each set? And why is wash Rotom always "Rotom-W", even though wash doesn't start with W in every language?

Le Carole de Mismagius

Banned deucer.
No, actually. You can AM check any number of QC or GP ready posts. I would recommend that they be of high quality, however. If you aren't sure if an AM check is any good you could always ask a QC member to review it and give you tips.
thanks for the response, I'll wait for one of the GP members to review it when they get the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)