Hip-hop/rap

I've decided that I need some. A lot actually. I hardly have any, but I enjoy listening to it and want to expand my library a bit.

From what I've heard I enjoy eminem, kanye west, and other random stuff I hear on the radio. I'm not really into the super hardcore "gangster rap" and could care less about shooting up hoes and skanks; just hook me up with any chill stuff I can zone out to or rap along with.

I'd happily take any suggestions as to what to listen to.

OK I'd say you should listen to Common, preferably the album "Like Water For Chocolate" and if you enjoyed that, try Ressurection, Be, and One Day It'll All Make Sense (I think that's what its called, I forgot). Common is a very laid back, conscious type of rapper so you might like him.

Try some Outkast too. ATLiens and Aquemini are some of the greatest albums I've heard. Not Southernplayalisticadillacmusik though, you might hate it since the album is mostly about pimping.

Try A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots too, especially Quest because of Q-Tip's flow where it kind of seems like his mind is somewhere else, try Midnight Marauders. The entire album is laid back.

And as for The Roots, you might want to try either Do You Want More ?!!?!!?!! (Yes theres actually that much punctuation) because it feels kinda like a jam session at times. Also if you liked that try Illadelph Halflife solely for the fact that it includes "What They Do" which is their best song to date.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
start with the classics

nas - illmatic
gza - liquid swords
wu-tang clan - enter the wu-tang (36 chambers)
nwa - straight outta compton
big l - lifestylez ov da poor & dangerous

you might be more into more modern 00s hip hop, in which case, cannibal ox, madvillain and immortal technique might be good to try.

I recommend Jurassic 5, their albums 'Power In Numbers' and 'Feedback'. They're pretty laid back and have good wordplay. Songs worth a listen - What's Golden, Remember His Name, Red Hot, Radio, A Day At The Races....the list goes on.

I second aesop.... if you are willing to fuck with your brain a little bit. if you like the more independent, experimental kind of hip hop, everyone from def jux and rhymesayers is worth listening to... El-P, Eyedea & Abilities, Cage, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, etc. are some examples

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Groups - Best Tracks
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass, 1,000 Deaths, Big Bang
Blue Scholars - The Ave, The Inkwell
Brother Ali - Take Me Home, Forest Whitaker
Atmosphere - You, Trying to Find a Balance
A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It?
Jedi Mind Tricks - Blood In Blood Out, On the Eve of War

All great hip-hop groups

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Aesop Rock
Blue Scholars
Brother Ali
Atmosphere
A Tribe Called Quest
Jedi Mind Tricks

All great hip-hop groups
bolded because they kick lots of ass

I was very disappointed to find out that "heartless" was by kanye west. Got some of his newest album. Folk from youtube can put auto tune to better use. His two first albums are worthwhile though (college dropout/late registration).

Edit:
Couldn't remember their name last night, but hilltop hoods are some really hilarious australian rappers.

if you're looking for stuff you can chill out with, then:

a tribe called quest
the fugees

it's definitely worth checking out some of the guns and hoes stuff, though, because it's a lot of fun:

wu tang
jay z
biggie
nas
tupac

well if you want all the latest hip hop rap and even rng songs then this is the website i would go to

hotnewhiphop.com
it even has albums

A lot of good recommendations so far; off the top of my head, let me add Binary Star, Substantial, De La Soul, Freestyle Fellowship, Kool Keith (Dr. Octagon, Black Elvis, etc), Digable Planets, and Black Star to the list. It's good stuff and really nothing that a hip-hop head should miss out on.

Mos Def- Black on Both Sides

Lupe Fiasco- Food and Liquor

The Clipse- Hell Hath No Fury

Aside from what other people have already said, these are all good imo. You may not be a fan of Lupe's voice though so that might be a little iffy. If you want stuff to just chill to, Kid Cudi-Man on the Moon: The End of Day is pretty easy to zone out to. Maybe check out some Warren G (specifically Regulate..G Funk Era) or Do or Die. For the latter you could probably just check out their greatest hits or whatever.

I know The Roots have been mentioned several times already, but I'll recommend them again because they are brilliant. Seriously world class musicians. Not sure how you usually listen to music, but it is definitely worth checking out some youtube videos and watching them. And for the love of god if you find that you like them buy a fucking album for 5 bucks at your local used cd place, the art and liner notes are priceless (and mp3 sucks.)

Also worth checking out is Matisyahu if you like reggae type stuff.

Hilltop Hoods, Bliss n Eso, The Herd, Muph and Plutonic are all kick ass Australian hip hop/rap artists.

Just type their names into youtube search, YOU'LL SEE

Talib Kweli-Reflection Eternal
Hieroglyphics-3rd Eye Vision and Full Circle
Black Keys are a great new group with a lot of connections, though I forget the name of their album
Madvillian-Madvilliany (if you're interested in good beat production check out Madlib's solo stuff like Shades of Blue)
Gza-Liquid Swords (have to second G80 on this one it's a classic)

EDIT just to add Del the Funky Homosapien's Deltron 3030 album, imo it was a milestone in hip-hop just in the fact that it was such a concept album

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Essential:

Outkast - Aquemini
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Notorious BIG - Ready to Die

start here

also deltron 3030 is fun but gets old quick imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)