How Did You Get Interested in Anime?

I like mahou sensei negima.too bad the anime series are just bad, the manga is very good though, a good mixture of action, romance, comedy, and ecchi(lol). This thing is underrated
the manga is great
the anime is bad
the live action makes me want to vomit blood

I'm not a fan of anime. Most modern animes are usually raped by irresponsible American dubbing companies (see 4kids and what they have done to One Piece and Sonic X). I liked DBZ and Pokemon when I was younger though.
No. No. I saw Sonic X in English and Japanese. I thought maybe it was 4Kids that butchered it and it was actually good. No. I was wrong. That show is just bad in general.

Now One Piece is a show that's amazing but has been absolutely torn apart by 4Kids. Thankfully Funimation is setting things right, but it's too late. One Piece has really lost its chance with a western audience due to the disgusting handling of it by 4Kids.

the only anime I like and probably will ever like is pokemon, and I don't even watch the tv show

I was into yugioh before it turned to shit

and lol @ the lists of favorite anime series that don't include pokemon

Pokémon is widely considered to be a pretty bad anime. I think that it is underrated, but if you are "loling" at people for not thinking it is good, then you are going against the majority opinion, and the burden thus lies with you to say why it is underrated (reasons like the exciting battles, how the Pokémon are pretty excitingly well animated, how the Pokémon all typically have highly amusing voices), not to just "lol" and dismiss people as fools. It certainly has big flaws (bad backgrounds, Team Rocket butchering the plot, and pacing) that arguably override the positives nonetheless.

Well thats why I always tended to like the Pokemon movies more than the series. I can't believe the one with Manaphy actually made me cry in the end.

One of my roommates was really into anime. One of my CS professors was into Fullmetal Alchemist. I got through DBZ and decided to try out Fullmetal Alchemist. So far I like it.

With Pokemon...I don't think it's a terrible anime, but certainly not the best one. I agree with CaptKirby about the Pokemon having high pitched voices lol.

people, it wasn't just 4kids that made one piece bad, it was also the japanese company that owns the anime, toei animation. they thought that adding a new semi-rap openning would be better for a larger demographic and they confirmed many of the changes. greg ayres loves to rant on this topic if you ask him about it.

people, it wasn't just 4kids that made one piece bad, it was also the japanese company that owns the anime, toei animation. they thought that adding a new semi-rap openning would be better for a larger demographic and they confirmed many of the changes. greg ayres loves to rant on this topic if you ask him about it.

Haha sounds awesome, I love listening to Greg Ayres talk about random stuff. Especially since he's so good at playing a wimpy little wuss.

Haha sounds awesome, I love listening to Greg Ayres talk about random stuff. Especially since he's so good at playing a wimpy little wuss.
you have to be more specific, he has done too many characters to just say "wimpy little wuss" and have me know which chara it is off the top of my head.

on a random tangent, during a convention last year, there were two guys talking rather loudly about how they heard a rumor that greg ayres is gay (he is actually openly gay and could care less about who knows it). so he happens to be near by getting on an elevator, and as the doors are closing yells at the top of his lungs "I'M A FLAMING (BAN ME PLEASE)." it was hilarious.

you have to be more specific, he has done too many characters to just say "wimpy little wuss" and have me know which chara it is off the top of my head.

on a random tangent, during a convention last year, there were two guys talking rather loudly about how they heard a rumor that greg ayres is gay (he is actually openly gay and could care less about who knows it). so he happens to be near by getting on an elevator, and as the doors are closing yells at the top of his lungs "I'M A FLAMING (BAN ME PLEASE)." it was hilarious.

Ah, right. Well the one that sticks in my mind the most would be when he played Kyohei from Burst Angel. He in the series is often called the 'pansy ass cook'. If nothing else you guys should check out Volume 1, theres a Special Feature with voice actor commentary, and Voice acting bloopers, they're awesome, I was in tears laughing.

It was mostly the melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya that did it for me. I never realised that animated characters could convey such strong feelings and i was impressed at the rich, albeit confusing storyline. After i went through a phase of grabbing anything Japanese, but for about a year i haven't looked at any :(
Nothing really gets me interested.

I don't know if I said this on the forum or IRC, but the rap opening was not its biggest issue - although it was pretty badly done I've got to admit. It's issue was things like:

- slashing so much content that four episodes become compressed into one because they're too damn lazy to edit it for violence / alcohol use
- skipping entire arcs that become integral to the plot later because they're too damn lazy to research the show that they've picked up
- changing monologues and dialogues to convey the opposite meaning of what they're supposed to because... well I don't know why they did this actually it makes absolutely no sense
- toning key parts of characters' backstories (deaths -> 'got sick' or 'put into a dungeon') to lessen impact and motive because... kids can't take death?

Voice acting was pretty horrendous too. Sanji and Robin's accent oh my gawd ;_;

Link to Greg Ayres' rant and who he is? Edit: Looked up who he is and it's some dude with insignificant parts in the show and thinks fansubs hurt the industry. Link to rant is all I need.

Technically pokemon was the first anime I watched, followed by (in no order), DB(Z), Digimon, Yugioh, Medabots, Beyblade (lol...), and some others but I was a naive child and considered them just cartoons.

What got me into watching anime in general was Vandread which I watched on AXN in the Philippines. Then I watched Ranma 1/2 on the same channel. Great stuff.

Favorite anime up to date though is definitely Code Geass.
Some good anime's imo are Higurashi no koro ni (kai), Clannad, Gundam, Chaos;Head and DEATH NOTE.

Atm, I'm watching Pandora Hearts which is pretty good so far. Used to watch naruto/bleach but the fillers just suck ass so I just read the manga (along with Negima).

I don't know if I said this on the forum or IRC, but the rap opening was not its biggest issue - although it was pretty badly done I've got to admit. It's issue was things like:

- slashing so much content that four episodes become compressed into one because they're too damn lazy to edit it for violence / alcohol use
- skipping entire arcs that become integral to the plot later because they're too damn lazy to research the show that they've picked up
- changing monologues and dialogues to convey the opposite meaning of what they're supposed to because... well I don't know why they did this actually it makes absolutely no sense
- toning key parts of characters' backstories (deaths -> 'got sick' or 'put into a dungeon') to lessen impact and motive because... kids can't take death?

Voice acting was pretty horrendous too. Sanji and Robin's accent oh my gawd ;_;

Link to Greg Ayres' rant and who he is? Edit: Looked up who he is and it's some dude with insignificant parts in the show and thinks fansubs hurt the industry. Link to rant is all I need.
the rant isn't online, it was done live at nekocon last year when someone brought up one piece for why they use fansubs.
and for some one that you say has insignificant parts, he is one of the most beloved guests at anime conventions.

That's all nice, but I don't see what being "beloved" at anime conventions has to do with his part on the show. Young Franky who is in about maybe 10 flashback episodes from two arcs ago and a side character who I haven't seen in around 200 episodes? Yeah. Insignificant to One Piece. I don't go to anime conventions so I have no idea about this person.

oh, thought that the reference to insignificance was due his roles in general (he usually does side characters, but every now and then does main ones, like in beck, negima and chrno crusade).
what i don't understand is why how large his role in the series even matters. he's a well known and respected AV, who has done tons of work in the industry. also factor in his brother, chris ayres (who has done work as both an AV and director), and there is very much reason to believe his statements.

Well, what I also don't understand is how what Toei said okay to has to do with how brutally the series was mangled? I would bet quite a bit that Toei didn't ask them to change what I would consider the entire theme of the show. I wonder what Oda would say to the changes. I mean, going from emphasizing that although nobody can do everything, that great things are possible if you work together to "I CAN DO ANYTHING IF I BELIEVE IN MYSELF" is fairly drastic in One Piece.

Edit: Sorry, this steering way off topic now. I'll create a One Piece thread in Internet Renaissance in a bit and we can argue about this as well discuss the show there.

Yeah. My post kind of got buried so I supposed I'll respond here. I was a little surprised as to why you actually care so much about the topic. I thought about it for a while and decided that you are in fact a weeaboo/japanophile.

CaptKirby, you caught me out. I must confess that I did enjoy the Indigo League and Dragon Ball Z before Freiza. However, I was a child. I'm 19 now so when I was 9 - 12 I loved these anime. My uncle even got me all of Dragon Ball Z on DVD and VHS subtitled. It was kind of horrible though, the Majin buu saga, cell saga, GT etc. Pokemon became fucking terrible too beginning with the Johto arc.

I don't think that I'd particuarly enjoy Dragon Ball or Pokemon these days though, I'm an adult now and I kind of get bored of the plot. The allegation that I only like things that are "filled to the cusp with action works" is retarded when you yourself love Dragon Ball and Pokemon whicch are basically fighting. Also I find the design of Dragon Ball to be terrible. It will sound hypocritical but I'm a fucking huge Dragon Quest fan though (I fucking hate the designs in those games but I still get addicted).

As for me liking Akira more than Spirited Away I guess it's more preference but I'm not really a fan of fantasy anime. I didn't think it was gritty enough, I don't know it just didn't excite me or make me want to watch all of it. I had the same reaction with Hal's Moving Castle too. I don't really like the storyline of kid adventures in a fantasy land filled with eccentric people.

But hey man, you're probably right. I haven't bothered to torrent all of the anime that I slandered to get it in japanese with english subs. Personally I'd rather watch the english dubs. I'm not really a massive fan of japanese culutre outside of Jrpg's and some jpop oh and the vampire hunter book series and the pokemon manga before gold/silver.

er. That paragraph got pretty retarded. I guess I'm a bit of a fan of Japanese culture but I'm not japanese and many of the japanese jokes, cliches and values are lost on me. I believe that if something isn't appealing to a western audience then it isn't worth bothering with.

I loved Infinite Ryvius because I saw it after I read Lord of the flies and I think it's a pretty cool anime, certainly much more watchable than the pokemon anime which has been the same for a decade. Berserk I just like because of that forces song and how freaked out I was because of the rape scene, the manga is completely superior I only listed it because I'm a diehard fan.

Yeah, I thought your post came across as informative and challenging until I read this:

In conclusion, restrain yourself from making sweeping and stupid judgements about quality (not about anime, but anything) based on your limited experience. Furthermore, do not pejoratively dismiss people for enjoying something just because you have some delusion about how manly and filled with vitality you are compared to everyone who happens to enjoy more than hotblooded, filled to the cusp with action works.

Why you- you sugar eating english majoring weeaboo!
I couldn't stop laughing at the bolded line, I'm still laughing now. What the fuck is this CaptKirby? Are you projecting your innate femininity onto me? Is this what this is?
Also Glen, you should have had a picture of team rocket with TEAM ROCKET IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN!!!

Would have actually been funny.

edit:

@Firestorm: I've only seen the edited One Peice and it's pretty damn horrible and I think at one point it ignored continuity too. I swear I saw it. Anyway, I'm not ragging on the japanese version only the english one which in my opinion is a peice of shit.

CaptKirby, you caught me out. I must confess that I did enjoy the Indigo League and Dragon Ball Z before Freiza. However, I was a child. I'm 19 now so when I was 9 - 12 I loved these anime.
This paragraph is actually pretty funny when you realize it's posted on a Pokemon forum.

Anyhoo, I can see why someone who only watches anime cut for children thinks some is childish. Although I don't see how watched subbed anime makes you a "weeaboo" as you called it. Some of us live in the digital age and don't fancy waiting two years or so to receive our media. That simulcast that FUNimation developed was awesome... until they did uploaded the episode early with no security and pissed off Toei.

You also seem to be going through a phase so maybe you'll understand once you grow up a bit?

Pokemon isn't for kids, competetive battling is quite complicated and very enjoyable. dur.

Also what the fuck firestorm..

Deleting my posts that talk about piracy then admitting to torrenting various shows.

Where did I talk about piracy? Please stop putting words in my mouth. We live in 2009. Companies have officially subtitled shows up on their own websites and even YouTube. CrunchyRoll is a site like Hulu which streams episodes of some shows within 24 hours of airing in Japan. All legal. None of this seems to be about the topic at hand.

And your point about Pokemon doesn't make any sense to me. Either you're being sarcastic, which seems like an argument against yourself. Or you're being serious, and you actually don't see the hypocrisy of your words. Or you're being serious, understand the hypocrisy, and don't care.

We do not facilitate illegal activities on Smogon. Also, this is more personal, but I'd appreciate it if people supported the people who gave them their fucking entertainment. Smogon IRC is different from Smogon forums.

You should really by the box sets of all the things that you pirate and then sub them yourself.

I don't enjoy the pokemon anime and I'm aware that the games are meant for kids. I don't really play pokemon for the rpg aspects anymore. I play pokemon for the battling aspects.

I don't really see the hypocrisy.

I like anime because it is a very important part of my entire childhood, and all the things that it involves are just cool!
however, the anime series I like are:
~pokemon
~dragon ball (all)
~inuyasha(even with its horrible end)
~shaman king
~neon genesis evangelion
~one piece
~trigun
~roruoni kenshin
~CCS
~eyeshield 21
~yu gi oh(first season only)
~ouran high school
~zatch bell
I´m sure there are more in my head but I can´t think at this time.

You should really by the box sets of all the things that you pirate and then sub them yourself.

I don't enjoy the pokemon anime and I'm aware that the games are meant for kids. I don't really play pokemon for the rpg aspects anymore. I play pokemon for the battling aspects.

I don't really see the hypocrisy.
Still not sure what piracy has to do with any of my posts in this thread. And I'm also not sure what you mean by "sub it myself"? I don't know Japanese and why would I need to sub it when the DVDs are already subtitled? Well, at least the ones I have. I'm pretty sure all anime DVDs are the same.

The hypocrisy is that you make a blanket statement about all anime you dislike as "childish" because you lack the communication skills to convey what it is you dislike about them, then start making excuses when someone calls your hobby "childish". Here's how I do it. I dislike Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon because the pacing is absolutely awful and the plot feels incredibly repetitive. Pacing is actually my biggest issue with all the series you have named aside from One Piece. Naruto is paced horribly as well.

You don't have to be 13 years old to be entranced by Oda's masterful storytelling technique in One Piece. I don't know how he does it. I think it's better it stays magic.

Man Tangerine's right, I think I basically turned into a One Piece viral marketer in this topic. While I'm throwing down buying recommendations, buy Scribblenauts once it's out.

url

watch Mind Game! even though Tekkonkinkreet was better

if you'd like to check out some other anime films, look up the directors Satoshi Kon, Miyazaki of course, Katsuhiro Otomo maybe, Mamoru Oshii if you're pretentious and Makoto Shinkai if you like romantic stuff

Back