I quit.

Since July 1st, there has been a smoking ban for all enclosed public places in England. This pretty much means anything with 3 or more walls and a roof [so bus stops count >>]. I took it upon myself to use this opportunity to try and quit smoking for good. I planned this for a while, and when July 1st came around I was mildly optimistic about it, but the one thing that was bugging me was that I used smoking to generally fill time. I'd usually spark up whenever I had to wait to do something, like get a train or for my mates to pick me up when we went out or if I was just really bored.

Starting last night though, I've been really irritable and lashing out/shouting and family and friends...I don't like it at all. I felt so bad about it, that I gave in and had a cigarette just before I went to bed. I know, there's no point in giving up if you're just going to give in every time you get a craving, but I'm really having trouble. I can't get to sleep at night, I'm getting loads of spots, I eat LOADS more than I did before giving up [I ate fuck loads anyway lol, I'm a big lad!]

I don't want to try those shitty patches or gums, because imo they are just a waste of money and if I really wanted to give up I could...but maybe I should, if only to ease my temper. Sleeping isn't a problem I've decided, I can just down a load of Night Nurse and basically go in a coma, so thats ok.

I found a good substitute for the phsyical addiction [as in holding and smoking the cigarette] in my DS stylus lol, it actually works! And when I'm not playing DS/have DS handy I just chew some gum [not the nicotine stuff, it tastes like death]. The mental side is what's really getting me though...I'm actually contemplating hypnosis or something like that.

I know Laz gave up smoking a couple months back, and wondered if he's still sticking to it, and if any of you have also tried to kick the habit.

Loads of luck man. My friend is going through the same thing atm (and my dad several years back) - hope you succeed :-)

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
holy shit dude the thread title scared me, i thought you were quitting smogon

anyway good luck man xD

Always try to have a pack with you but never use it. At least you'll never feel the need to buy more. Anyway, breaking free of an addiction is mostly an inner fight, so nicotine patches etc aren't needed usually. Best way is to have someone to talk to and who'd encourage you to keep fighting.

That's what I hope you guys are here for! So it's ok if I come in this thread and spam "AAAAAAAAAAAAAA" whenevr I want a (BAN ME PLEASE)? Cool.

And sorry Stelick!

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations on quitting smoking as that's one of the best things you can do to help both yourself and our environment.

Lots a luck to you, I know it can be hard. my uncle tried, but he only made it a week. I know you, you'll pull through this, don't give up.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think it's hardest for people at this age to quit something like smoking, because you go out with your buddies and you're surrounded by it. But I'm glad your country has some sense and but the smoking ban in place, the state of New York did it, but it hasn't happened over here nationwide yet.

Good luck man. It's preferable that if you need to vent and spam "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" that you hop in #smogon so you can actually have a dialogue, but I suppose once or twice here won't hurt.

lol, thanks DM I was joking anyway. I haven't been on irc for a while...might pop in soon! I'm usually ok if I'm occupied, but then I'll suddenly remember "oh yeah SMOKING" and that's when I'll want one. Keeping busy and good music seems to be the key!

np - The Young Knives - She's Attracted To

Hi Dan,

To let you know I signed up JUST to tell you good luck, I'm an anonymous browser, one that you call guest (planned to join eventually anyway...)

I have a dad who has problems with smoking and he tried to give up, lasted about two days and spilled... was so proud of himself too lol.

Just keep busy, yeah thats the key, and never leave yourself unamused. My dad broke watching TV. Seriously hope you accomplish what you set out to do, good luck.

Good luck man, my mom couldn't do it so you're carrying the torch for [European people I know that try to quit smoking].

ok guys i'm going for the gold. I even got myself a wall chart and some stickers to express how im feeling! there's a smiley for when i'm good, a angry one for when i'm...angry and a banana one for when i slip up hehe. my personal favourite is the one with a halo that says "good job! reward yourself!". I think i'll be using that one a lot.

I quit smoking a few months ago, and didn't have trouble with it at all. I guess I'm just one of those people who don't have an addictive personality. I had been smoking for four years, then just decided to call it quits. I didn't experience any mood swings or cravings, it was just like breaking any other habit for me. The only times it's tough are when I'm around a lot of friends who smoke.

Also, Canada already has a ban like that in effect, and it's really annoying, especially when it's raining and security guards at malls feel like being pricks and making you stand out and get soaked. I have no problem with not smoking inside, but the whole roof thing is kind of a dick move in my opinion.

Sorry I can't offer you any help, man... I'd tell you I know what you're going through, but honestly... I don't. Lol.

oh i get it! Banana peelings are slippery!

I read that and thought "random" then like 15 minutes later I was like... "oh"

Yeah, I quit in January. Haven't had a single cigarette, or even a puff of one, since making my decision.

That being said...

...it's not fucking easy. Six months later, I still find myself going crazy for a cigarette. There's still smoking in bars in Baltimore (at least until February), and I spend a lot of time in bars, and it just drives me up a fucking wall sometimes. Still, never quite given in to the urge. Part of what drives me on now is that I can't believe I've gone fucking SIX MONTHS without a cigarette, and I don't know that I'll ever be able to do that again, so I don't want to cheat and ruin the stride.

That said, in the past six months my endurance has gone way up, and I get sore throats less. On the other hand, my allergies have gotten like a million times worse (I never had bad allergies before this year, and now they're awful), although I don't know if that's because of quitting smoking or other reasons.

Good luck. I know it's not easy. When I was doing it, I made sure to mention the fact to pretty much everyone I hang out with on a regular basis, because I've got the type of personality where I know I'd feel like a total dick if I went and told everyone I was quitting smoking, and then they saw me with a cigarette a couple of weeks later. So that helped me a bit. Also, be prepared for getting some nasty shit out of your lungs in the next couple of months. It's kind of gross, but kind of satisfying at the same time, because you know that shit's finally breaking up and getting out of you.

As everyone said, the physical addiction is nothing compared to the mental addiction. Just be serious about it, and don't let yourself cheat, because cheating even once can really be a dangerous downhill slope (of course, if you DO cheat once, also don't all of a sudden get discouraged and fall back on the wagon).

Again, good luck!

You should get a puppy to occupy your time.

Other then that good luck!

p.s. I thought you were quitting smogon as well >_>

Yeah but Hookah bars have the faux-Arabian see-through sheets and bells and blonde belly dancers and bad hummus thing going on.

You should get a puppy to occupy your time.

Other then that good luck!

p.s. I thought you were quitting smogon as well >_>
dogs don't help with quitting smoking, if you have a dog you spend a lot of idle time outside waiting for it to take a dump or whatever...perfect time for a smoke. plus puppies are good at causing stress.

well, good luck dude. the irritability is the worst, that seems to be why most smokers return to the habit. you're on the right track though, if you genuinely want to quit, then you will. just do whatever you can to take your mind off it. buy some scratch n' sniff stickers to reward yourself!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)