Incest

I met a former female classmate of mine by chance at the coffee shop and we had a brief chat. I noticed that she was wearing a gold band on her right ring finger, and I remembered she wasn't married the last time I talked to her. I casually mentioned the ring, and all of the sudden she got real quiet. She smiled and twisted the ring, and said it was a "promise of fidelity." Now, to me, that doesn't mean married, that means lesbian bullshit. Running with this theory, I asked "who is she?" She responded with a weird look and asked, "She? I'm not gay." So, somewhat curious, I asked if that meant she was married. Again, the answer was no.

I was really curious at this point as to who she was seeing, but she wouldn't tell me. So I let it drop and we chat a bit more. As I'm getting ready to leave, she asks if I can keep a secret. I say sure, why not. She stops for a second, and asks, "You never met my brother, did you?" and waves her ring finger at me. Then, leaving me with a confused but dawning horror, she laughs and walks out the door.

What the fuck. Did she just tell me that she married her brother?

Also, in an effort to invite more people to this thread: Do you think that incest should be illegal?

Personally I believe that as long as it's between two consenting adults it should be legal. Still creepy as hell though.

I met a former female classmate of mine by chance at the coffee shop and we had a brief chat. I noticed that she was wearing a gold band on her right ring finger, and I remembered she wasn't married the last time I talked to her. I casually mentioned the ring, and all of the sudden she got real quiet. She smiled and twisted the ring, and said it was a "promise of fidelity." Now, to me, that doesn't mean married, that means lesbian bullshit. Running with this theory, I asked "who is she?" She responded with a weird look and asked, "She? I'm not gay." So, somewhat curious, I asked if that meant she was married. Again, the answer was no.

I was really curious at this point as to who she was seeing, but she wouldn't tell me. So I let it drop and we chat a bit more. As I'm getting ready to leave, she asks if I can keep a secret. I say sure, why not. She stops for a second, and asks, "You never met my brother, did you?" and waves her ring finger at me. Then, leaving me with a confused but dawning horror, she laughs and walks out the door.

Also, in an effort to invite more people to this thread: Do you think that incest should be illegal?

Personally I believe that as long as it's between two consenting adults it should be legal. Still creepy as hell though.
Fucking one's sibling should be those people's choices, but getting each other pregnant should be illegal. inbred offspring are sometimes born with mutations, that will affect them for the rest of their life. Bringing something into the world with a high chance of being defective should be illegal.
I know mutations happen even if the parents are not related, but from what I know the chance of it happening is higher if they're related.

pretty much agreeing with what blakblastoise stated here that it should be illegal but then again its what they feel about each other so you can't really do anything.
also your absolutely right about the mutations/mental problems its better not to have a higher chance of that happening in today's world.

My best friend, and his cousin were in a sexual relationship, and since he is my best friend and I used to hear about this shit all the time, its became sort of normal to me. With that said, actual siblings are something a bit different, I don't believe it should be legal, and that may be because its something I'm conditioned to believe its wrong, and the fact that I can't wrap my head around the idea of marrying one's sibling. I guess if it works well between the two, its their choice, who knows what type of relationship they had throughout their lives, if they plan on doing it, let them I guess.

I personally think that incest in general is just flat out wrong and disgusting whether it be with a sibling or with cousins or w/e (no matter how "hot" the person may be). To my understanding, incest is already illegal in the US but is judged differently in each state (meaning the disciplinary actions if convicted). But as you are aware, this doesn't really mean anything since incest isn't exactly uncommon. You just don't hear people talking about it normally because it's not acceptable to the norms of our society.

And with regards to your story, I don't think your friend married her brother (I'm assuming this is taking place in the US) since although all states have their own laws regarding the handling of incest, outright incest marriage is illegal IIRC. Your friend is probably just fucking her brother and using the ring as a signal to tell other men to stay away.

Fucking one's sibling should be those people's choices, but getting each other pregnant should be illegal. inbred offspring are sometimes born with mutations, that will affect them for the rest of their life. Bringing something into the world with a high chance of being defective should be illegal.
I know mutations happen even if the parents are not related, but from what I know the chance of it happening is higher if they're related.
What Blak is saying is completely true. But if we want to get technical, the deterioration of the family's gene pool and the mutations occur further down the generation line and will not necessary occur in the first generation of offspring between blood-related relatives (in this case siblings).

...uhh.... dude... I think you may have drastically misinterpreted what she was trying to tell you... Now, I have no way of knowing this, but based on common sense it seems like what she meant is that her brother is probably OVERPROTECTIVE and wouldn't WANT her having sex until she gets married. o_O Does that make any more sense now that you think about it? (I doubt she'd have laughed about something as messed-up as incest unless she herself was messed-up...)
Though really, she SHOULD have been more clear about what she was trying to say. >_>

Using blakblastoises logic, women over 40 shouldn't be allowed to have children since they are a lot more likely to have a baby with a deformity and by extension those with deformities/genetic diseases shouldn't be allowed either.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally I think she was just jerkin your gerkin with the whole brother thing, hence the laughter as she walked out. Maybe who she's seeing is, quite frankly, none of your business?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
...uhh.... dude... I think you may have drastically misinterpreted what she was trying to tell you... Now, I have no way of knowing this, but based on common sense it seems like what she meant is that her brother is probably OVERPROTECTIVE and wouldn't WANT her having sex until she gets married. o_O Does that make any more sense now that you think about it? (I doubt she'd have laughed about something as messed-up as incest unless she herself was messed-up...)

Though really, she SHOULD have been more clear about what she was trying to say. >_>
I stopped taking Abuse's post seriously at "lesbian bullshit."

I think he's yanking our chains.

Also BlakBlastoise: There is no practical way to make an incestuous pregnancy illegal. If they are indeed fornicating then at some point, they will have a child. Either the protection will fail (if they are using any) or they will forget, or she'll lie and say she'd on the pill when she isn't, etc.

I don't know why people these days have so distanced the inexorable effect of pregnancy from its cause of fornication. It is beyond absurd to go through these mental gymnastics. No matter how many pregnancies are averted by "protection," 99% of pregnancies are caused by sex, the other 1% being in-vitro or other methods of human intervention.

I stopped taking Abuse's post seriously at "lesbian bullshit."
Just being honest.

I think he's yanking our chains.
I'm not.

Also BlakBlastoise: There is no practical way to make an incestuous pregnancy illegal. If they are indeed fornicating then at some point, they will have a child. Either the protection will fail (if they are using any) or they will forget, or she'll lie and say she'd on the pill when she isn't, etc.
Forced abortions and those who are in incestuous relationships have to declare it or they face prison time... yeah, I kind of agree with you it's impossible to police it.

I'm curious though, why the iron clad stance on contraception? If done correctly then there is almost zero chance of the pregnancy occurring. I also kind of snickered when you started spouting misogynistic dribble. I think it is you who is yanking our chains.

Why would she get pregnant to her brother on purpose? Why wouldn't she get an abortion? How are you sure of anything you just wrote?!

Personally I think she was just jerkin your gerkin with the whole brother thing, hence the laughter as she walked out. Maybe who she's seeing is, quite frankly, none of your business?
Could be this as well as what I said... either way, I seriously doubt she was implying incest. >_>

Honestly I find it hard to argue against incestuous relationships. Not that I'm for them, but from what I've read there really isn't any substance against them. The mutation rate of inbred children is much, much lower than what most people believe. As Abuse said, the "mutation" argument doesn't hold water as women over 40, or even just parents with "bad genes" or a defect of their own are more likely to have children with problems. Would it be right to deny them the opportunity to have children?

Nowhere in the constitution does it mention incest or anything near it, yet it is still illegal. I find that this is in the same vein as homosexuality was for the longest time: it is merely taboo. If you ask most of America's youth if they're pro gay-marriage and all that, they will likely say that yes, they are. However, if you ask if they're pro incestuous-marriage or even just pro incest, they will 99% of the time say no. But why? Just because the common opinion is against it, and it is seen as dirty, nasty, and something not to be spoken of.

Go American politics =\

I think it's perfectly fine as long as they don't have children because inbreeding leads to a higher proportion of congenital birth defects. I must say though I have sympathy for them because you really can't help who you fall in love with. It just happens.

i find incest to be disgusting and wrong yet i can't articulate why. it is an irrational distaste that i really wish i could justify but i totally can't!

i find incest to be disgusting and wrong yet i can't articulate why. it is an irrational distaste that i really wish i could justify but i totally can't!
I completely agree. This is one subject where I have been incredibly indoctrinated, and I know it. Just the idea of it is completely horrifying to me, and I don't know why!

I guess that is what society programmed us to do and that is to treat taboos as immoral even if we don't know as to why it really is.

I don't know why people these days have so distanced the inexorable effect of pregnancy from its cause of fornication. It is beyond absurd to go through these mental gymnastics. No matter how many pregnancies are averted by "protection," 99% of pregnancies are caused by sex, the other 1% being in-vitro or other methods of human intervention.
I don't plan to turn this into a contraception debate, but your reasoning is horribly wrong. "99% of pregnancies are caused by sex" means "if there is a pregnancy, there is a large chance of it having been caused by sex", not "if there is sex, there is a large chance that it causes pregnancy"

Depends if it's the "hentai manga so there's no consequences" kind or the actual kind. But yeah, shit happens even if you don't like it.

incest is taboo because it often results in children with massive birth defects, fyi
I'm pretty sure that it also has something to do with it being forbidden in the bible:
The Biblical Book of Leviticus lists prohibitions against sexual relations between various pairs of family members. Men are prohibited, on penalty of death, from having sexual relations with their daughters, sisters, mothers, aunts, and various other relations. Father–daughter incest is covered by a prohibition on sexual relationships between a man and any daughter born to any woman he has had sexual relationships with, thereby prohibiting incest not only with his own blood relations but also with women who could be his stepdaughters by marriage. The Old Testament, however, does depict the daughters of Lot seducing their father in order to continue his line.[50]

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't plan to turn this into a contraception debate, but your reasoning is horribly wrong. "99% of pregnancies are caused by sex" means "if there is a pregnancy, there is a large chance of it having been caused by sex", not "if there is sex, there is a large chance that it causes pregnancy"
That was rather my point. i.e. the singular source of almost all pregnancies is one specific action. Therefore anyone who engages that action should not be surprised when its effects occur. To distance from the obvious is to ignore this reality for convenience sake. There are very few parallels to this particular cause-effect relationship. Fornication of a specific kind is causal to pregnancy, not correlated.

The point is people who engage in this activity should not pretend, based on the obvious evidence, that if they just "use protection" or otherwise attempt to reduce the effects of this action, that the logical end result will not occur.

That is not what society teaches though. Society teaches you that there are ways to make this action "safe," to remove it from its known consequences sufficient to make it a casual activity of no importance. If it is not important, if it is deemed the same level of hazard as riding a bike (just make sure to wear your helmet), then its importance is lost and its meaning diminished to the lowest common denominator.

Incest is a sidebar to this. After all, if sex can be considered "safe" then why does it matter who does it with whom?

Having an absolute moral standard is important for its own sake. I could give you a litany of rational reasons for why any particular activity is harmful but "harmful" is not synonymous with "morally wrong." Incest has generally been looked down upon through the ages because families often relied on their sons or daughters to fetch a dowry from suitors, and you can't do that if you "keep it in the family," so to speak. The further strain it put on family ties and inter-familial disputes merely made it more complicated and therefore less desirable.

Sometimes something is just wrong. Period. End of story. Trying to prod and find gray areas just leads down a slippery slope of moral decay until the activity turns from a minor flippancy of standard mores to a clearly harmful pandemic of indecency, lewdness, and visible harm. If you need someone to explain to you why banging your sibling is wrong, you've clearly lost all capability of independent moral thought somewhere along the way. Your conscience has been replaced by whatever the elders in society tell you. You cease to be a moral agent and become a sheeple, drowning in the river that bottoms out at the Styx.

Perhaps it is a purity ring? Maybe by "fidelity" she meant loyalty to God? Perhaps her brother got it for her, or the question had nothing to do with the ring. I have no idea why she would ask if you could keep a secret... certainly odd.

I agree that as long as it is between consenting adults it is really not our business.

Btw, has anyone here seen the movie Wrong Turn? I haven't but someone told me that it was a movie about a whole bunch of inbred hillbillies. ew...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)