Pet Mod Item Factory [THE MOD IS DEAD, DO NOT REVIVE]

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Gonna theorycraft a tiny bit on the items, don't expect any of this to be perfect though

Slippery Sled: A possibly minor, yet pretty welcome buff to Hail. On Veil offenses or possibly teams with the sporadically-used Alotales Arctozolt core, I could see it being a pretty easy fit. Maybe something like SD Chomp or Tapu Lele could run it there, those mons tend to fit decently on those kinds of teams and would like the boost in Speed.

Power Suppressor: Well this only really benefits Archeops and Regigigas since Slaking isn't in the format, and I don't know if Archeops has impressive enough stats to forgo Heavy-Duty Boots in favor of this. But what about Regigigas? Well its Attack stat is somewhat comparable to something with 90 Attack and a Choice Band or around 110 and a Life Orb, so nothing hugely impressive, but the rest of its stats alongside that might make it somewhat appealing for some teams. I think its best role could be as a Rock Polish cleaner, but it could potentially see some use as a weird utility mon that blanket checks a ton of stuff at once thanks to its great bulk and typing, although it wouldn't be very hard to wear down and its utility options aren't even the best. Item control is important in OU as it stands and could be even more so in a meta like this, so that might be a point against it, though.

Everstone: Useful for not fully evolved Pokemon whose evolved forms don't have the best Choice sets or also somehow have something additional over the evolved form. I can't think of many things that could have a niche in OU with this, though. Swords Dance Doublade comes to mind for its ability to set up on Corviknight and some Clefable variants while also checking a ton of physical Pokemon in a pinch, but I can't think of much aside from that.

Vacuum Bag: May see some use on hyper offensive teams as a way to screw with hazards on a pivot or a Pokemon that doesn't care about what item it has, but I don't think this would see much use on any other team archetypes. Can't really name specific users for this item, though.

Last edited:
Alright so since I think no more people are going to discuss the items I think I'll close the discussion slate a little early, and begin...

SUBMISSION TIME
I'll be honest I don't really know what to say other than follow the rules, yup I think that's everything.

Mhm.

Yup I don't think I forgot anything.

OH FUCK I FORGOT ABOUT THE NEW COUNCIL MEMBER! Everyone please welcome kakaks to the council.

Congrats kakaks!

Item Name: Miracle Seed
Old Effect: Boosts Grass Attacks by 1.2x (we already have Meadow Plate for this)
New Effect: Upon switching in, uses Growth. One time use.
Flavor (optional): It miraculously grows on switch-in.

Item Name: Mystic Water
Old Effect: Boosts Water Attacks by 1.2x (we have Splash Plate)
New Effect: Uses Aqua Ring upon switching in. One time use.
Flavor (optional): Thing mystically uses Aqua Ring.

Item Name: Charcoal
Old Effect: Boosts Fire Attacks by 1.2x (we have Flame Plate)
New Effect: Uses Will-o-Wisp on switch in. One time use
Flavor (optional): The Charcoal burns the target.

Item Name: Choice Lens
Item Effect: Accuracy is 1.5x, choice lock
Flavor (optional): Just an accuracy based choice item

Item Name: Heavy Armor
Item Effect: Defense is 1.5x but holder can only use attacking moves
Flavor: Counterpart to Assault Vest

And that's all I have. I'm sorry ViZar for maybe kinda sorta resubbing Heavy Armor?

Magmajudis

Title pending
Congrats kakaks!

Item Name: Boxing Glove
Item Effect: Fist moves have 1.2 power, but speed is divided by 1.2 when using them.
Flavor:A boxing globe makes you punch harder, but the frequency of your hits is rediced singe you have something on your hands.

Will probably do more later

Tapler

Coral Bitch
is a Top Social Media Contributor
Item Name: Stopwatch
Item Effect: While a Pokemon with this item is on the field, field conditions cannot be set or changed, and their timers do not count down. It also supresses Weather and Terrain-setting abilities like Neutralizing Gas does. When a Pokemon with this item switches in, the message “[Holder] froze time with its Stopwatch!” is displayed in battle text. (Affects Weathers, Terrains, Rooms, Sports, and Gravity. Becomes active before abilities do on switch-in.)
A lot of people seem to just be shrugging off Slippery Sled as some weak item that provides a slight buff to hail, but it’s anything but. Being able to give any mon +1 speed while under the effects of a field condition that can be set by certain mons on switchin is stupidly strong, and it only gets even more ridiculous when you realize that same field condition gets to abuse one of the best tools in the game for HO teams: Aurora Veil. Any team that isn’t hard stall and doesn’t have its own weather setter can and will be curb stomped by an Alolan Ninetales partnered with four or five Sled sweepers. In other words, the meta’s inevitably going to become a weather war, and honestly, I’m here for it. At the very least, it makes the meta very distinct from normal OU. So, leaning hard into the weather war idea, Stopwatch allows you to ensure that the conditions you want are active, at the cost of your item slot. Of course, if you want to run this thing, it can’t be on a setter; that wouldn’t work, even if you have a weather-setting ability. If you want to run it on a field condition abuser, you have to give up a power-boosting item or, in Hail’s case, Sled, both of which really hurt. The NGas-like effect on Weather/Terrain abilities is to prevent teams from spamming this item to completely lock down their field condition of choice, as Weather/Terrain abilities will activate when a mon holding this item switches out or is knocked out, even if the switchin to replace them is also holding this item. Outside of fucking with weather, the Stopwatch would also be a nice buff for Trick Room and could make it a genuinely viable strategy.

Item Name: Augmented Lens
Item Effect: Holder’s non-OHKO Physical and Special attacks cannot miss (unless the target is in a semi-invulnerable state), but consume twice as much PP when used. When a Pokemon with this item switches in, the message “[Holder] locks on with its Augmented Lens!” is displayed in battle text.
Being able to abuse perfectly accurate Focus Blasts, Blizzards, Stone Edges, and whatever else sounds absolutely busted, and it is, but most highly-inaccurate moves max out at 8pp, meaning that you can only use each one up to four times per game before the opponent never has to worry about it again. The fact that this item is announced on switchin might seem strange at first, but it was a balancing decision made to reduce the surprise factor for Inferno and Zap Cannon specifically, allowing the opponent to play around them without you needing to reveal them first. This item faces competition from straight power-boosting items like Life Orb, Band, and Specs, but definitely has its own niche and can put on a hell of a lot of pressure.

I’m not resubmitting Sly Scarf because having Sly Scarf Ditto on a Sled team as a way to deal with opposing weather sweepers sounds toxic as hell.

Last edited:
Item Name: Eviospite
Item Effect: If holder's species can evolve, its Speed is boosted x1.5
Flavor: A metamorphosed form of Eviolite, that effects speed rather than defenses.
Uses: Completing the set with Eviolite and Everstone, this opens the door for fast NFE revenge killers/supports. 3 biggest users I can imagine are Haunter, Kadabra, and Galarian Mr. Mime.

Item Name: Max Marigold
Item Effect: Upon switch-in, the message, "[Holder] Is surrounded by Dynamax Energy!!" is displayed. The first attack holder makes is turned into a Max Move with no increase to Base Power. Once per battle.
Misc: This item cannot be removed, nor is it consumed after use. Base Power will be reduced if the base move has a lowered BP as a Max Move, (this is relevant for Max Knuckle/Ooze, as well as Explosion/Self Destruct/V-Create).
Uses: This item allows us to add some Dynamax flavor back into the game without the uncompetitive aspects of it. Gyarados can use this as a better Power Herb when combined with Bounce, Hustle users can use this to get a guarantied hit at a crucial moment, and so many more applications.

~Resubs~
Item Name: Boxing Gloves
Item Effect: Punching moves deal x1.2 more damage, and are protected from adverse contact effects.
Flavor: In real life, bare-knuckle boxers don't hit as hard as gloved boxers, because the padding from boxing gloves allows a boxer to hit harder without risking injuring their hand.

Item Name: Crash Helmet
Item Effect: Holder takes no recoil damage from their own moves.
Uses: There are several Pokemon that would love if they could have Rock Head in addition to their own ability. Talonflame is probably the most obvious, since this would let it keep Gale Wings active after a Brave Bird. Also, every Head Smash User that doesn't already have Rock Head.

Item Name: Retro Rulebook
Item Effect: If holder KO's an opposing Pokemon with a Recharge move, (ie Hyper Beam, Rock Wrecker, etc), they consume this item, and do not have to Recharge.
Flavor: Throwback to RBY days where Hyper Beam was bugged such that it wouldn't need to recharge if it got a KO.
Uses: Surprise someone that thought they could wall you with a 150 BP nuke.
Item Name: Usage Policy.
Item Effect: If a move of the holder's runs out of PP, this item is consumed, and they gain +1 to all stats except Evasion.
Flavor: Like the other "Policy" items, activates when a bad thing happens to its holder, and gives a stat boost to turn that into a good thing.
Uses: For those down with doing some very long term planning in their battles, this allows you to get a massive late game boost, and should allow it's holder to clean up nearly every time it is successfully activated. Of course, you have to a) stay in for 8 turns to spam the same move while, b) avoiding item removal and c) keeping at high enough health to clean up afterword.

Last edited:
resubbing the reverse spectrum items scarfed made
ItemPointy lensGlossy band
EffectMakes special moves and all of their effects physicalMakes physical moves and all of their effect special
UsePowerful item for attackers that dont mind using a item slot for more coverage

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Shameless resubs

Item Name: Joker
Item Effect: This pokemon's moves that are not STAB deal 1.3x damage.
Flavor (optional): A joker card.

Item Name: Detective Lens
Item Effect: Lets a move that would normally not affect the target actually affect it. Single-Use.
Flavor (optional): Idk detectives are good at finding people ig

Item Name: Blood Amulet
Item Effect: This pokemon's moves deal 1.1x damage. This item cannot be tricked, knocked off or consumed in any way.
Flavor (optional): Fuck knock off and fuck trick

Alright so I like the items so far, but I am worried about a few of them being broken.
Old Effect: Boosts Grass Attacks by 1.2x (we already have Meadow Plate for this)
Alright so this is just broken in most cases, but then you have fucking chlorophyll venusaur holding this thing and everything fucking dies to it. Slippery Sled enables weather wars.
This one is concerning for stuff like trick clefable or any a defensively potent trick mon.
Item Effect: Once per battle, you can activate this effect: The holder's move this turn becomes a Max Move with no increase to Base Power.
Misc: Can be activated in the same way one would activate Dynamax. This item cannot be removed, nor is it consumed after use. Base Power will be reduced if the base move has a lowered BP as a Max Move, (this is relevant for Max Knuckle/Ooze, as well as Explosion/Self Destruct/V-Create).
Uses: This item allows us to add some Dynamax flavor back into the game without the uncompetitive aspects of it. Gyarados can use this as a better Power Herb when combined with Bounce, Hustle users can use this to get a guarantied hit at a crucial moment, and so many more applications.
This one should probably be nerfed to only effect the first move rather than be a choice. Although it might be a bit much for a certain unburden luchador hawk.

Item Name: Poison Barb
Old Effect: The holder's Poison-type attacks have *1.2 power.
New Effect: The holder's Poison-type attacks coat the foe with Gastro Acid.
Yeah no I do not like this at all. This could be fucking terrifying depending on the pokemon. I know steel types are immune but I feel as though this item could be pretty broken. With the power suppressor you can really only effect one pokemon with losing their ability. Here you can potentially effect an entire team from suppressing their abilities. That is why I am vetoing it.

Last edited:
haven’t been here for a while, mod looks p fun

Item Name: Shell Bell
Old Effect: After an attack, holder gains 1/8 of the damage in HP dealt to other Pokemon.
New Effect: After taking damage from a direct attack, holder gains 1/5 of the damage in HP lost.

Explanation: Shell Bell was never seen in competitive play besides level 1 endeavor aron, so I changed its aspect to a defensive item, which would probably be useful on walls, especially mixed ones such as Toxapex, so that it could use less EVs to avoid 2HKOs from both physical and special attacks. Though 1/5 of the damage might seem a lot, it actually only heals 10% from a would-be 2HKO, which is not much more than Leftovers recovery while healing little to no HP from weaker attacks/ free turns.

Item Name: Twisted Spoon
Old Effect: The holder's Psychic-type attacks have *1.2 power.
New Effect: The holder's Psychic-type attacks hurl the foe into the air (as Telekinesis does).

Item Name: Spell Tag
Old Effect: The holder's Ghost-type attacks have *1.2 power.
New Effect: The holder's Ghost-type attacks torment the foe.

Since the elemental plates already exist, these type-boosting items can be used to explore lesser-seen effects. Telekinesis takes away the foe's terrain bonuses and lets enables the usage of lower-accuracy moves, and torment can be all-around useful disruption against foes that rely on few attacks.

Item Name: Joy Buzzer
Effect: If a foe attempts to knock-off, steal, or destroy Joy Buzzer, the foe is forced to switch out after the attack. Joy Buzzer cannot be stolen, tricked, or knocked off.
Fling: 60 BP, switches the target out
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. The buzzer zaps a foe that attempts to remove it, ejecting them from battle.

Knock Off is obviously going to be huge in this mod, and any counterplay against it helps. Ideally, good Knock Off punishment should be repeatable yet able to be reasonably played around, and I think I achieved that with Joy Buzzer. It racks up hazard damage and turns Knock Off from a spammable move to one that can be a momentum sink with one's cards played right, but the effect isn't huge enough to be unfair.

Item Name: Molding Clay
Effect: When the holder switches in, Molding Clay is shaped into whatever item the foe is holding, and gives the message "{Holder} molded their clay into {foe's item}!" Molding Clay can be shaped into a consumable item, but it cannot be consumed in this way.
Fling: 30 BP
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. The holder shapes the clay to match the foe's held item.

Like Trace for items. It lets you see which item the foe is holding and also gives you the item's bonus, although it can put you in a tough position if you copy a choice item, assault vest, or power suppressor without expecting it. It could also see use as a counter pick against hail teams in order to copy the speed boost from a Slippery Sled, as well as any other situational bonuses from items that come about in the future.

Item Name: Shady Hood
Effect: When the holder uses a move that reduces the foe's stats, each of those stats are reduced by one stage further.
Fling: 30 BP
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. The hood unsettles the foe, making stat-lowering moves more potent.

A way to make stat-lowering moves somewhat usable. Parting shot is the big winner, but moves like Snarl, Acid Spray, Mystical Fire, Breaking Swipe, etc. now drop the foe's stats far enough to potentially be worth the turn.

Last edited:
Alright so I like the items so far, but I am worried about a few of them being broken.

Alright so this is just broken in most cases, but then you have fucking chlorophyll venusaur holding this thing and everything fucking dies to it. Slippery Sled enables weather wars.

This one is concerning for stuff like trick clefable or any a defensively potent trick mon.
Regarding the miracle seed, yeah that seems a bit much. How about it uses Leech Seed on switch in?
For Charcoal, I’m not sure what you mean. It automatically activates and then is consumed. This seems fine. Care to clarify?

Regarding the miracle seed, yeah that seems a bit much. How about it uses Leech Seed on switch in?
For Charcoal, I’m not sure what you mean. It automatically activates and then is consumed. This seems fine. Care to clarify?
you can burn the user and then take their item from them when being used by trick clefable in a single turn. It doesn't matter if the item is consumed because trick still works if only one pokemon has an item. I'm also still iffy on it being leech seed as that could be potentially really annoying to deal with.

Last edited:

Tapler

Coral Bitch
is a Top Social Media Contributor
you can burn the user and then take their item from them when being used by trick clefable in a single turn. It doesn't matter if the item is consumed because trick still works if only one pokemon has the item. I'm also still iffy on it being leech seed as that could be potentially really annoying to deal with.
Generally, Trick Clef would still run Flame Orb in order to avoid paras on itself. That said, having an 85% chance to cripple a physical attacker on switchin (often for the remainder of the game) with any mon, without them having a chance to react OR a good way to predict it is absurdly good. I can’t see this being balanced.

Also,
Item Effect: Once per battle, you can activate this effect: The holder's move this turn becomes a Max Move with no increase to Base Power.
Misc: Can be activated in the same way one would activate Dynamax. This item cannot be removed, nor is it consumed after use. Base Power will be reduced if the base move has a lowered BP as a Max Move, (this is relevant for Max Knuckle/Ooze, as well as Explosion/Self Destruct/V-Create).
This is busted as hell. Giving mons access to Airstream in general is too much (I have no clue why it and Strike are full power Max moves when Knuckle and Ooze are nerfed), and unlike Dynamax, this doesn’t restrict your access to setup moves after Airstreaming.

Last edited:
Item Name: Casteliacone
Old Effect: No use as a held item.
New Effect:
If the holder is hit by a biting move, freezes the attacker for one turn after. Single use
Flavor (optional):
[Attacker] got a brain freeze from [Holder]'s Casteliacone!

Here is some feedback on every submission so far. Will probably do another one of these later on, once more submissions are in.

Item Name: Mystic Water
Old Effect: Boosts Water Attacks by 1.2x (we have Splash Plate)
New Effect: Uses Aqua Ring upon switching in. One time use.
Flavor (optional): Thing mystically uses Aqua Ring.

I know that a lot of my submissions have contributed to the trend of items that have a use upon switchin, but I feel like it is a hard balance to get right. It has already been pointed out that miracle seed is pretty broken, but the other two have their own problems. Mystic Water is objectively worse than Leftovers -- Aqua Ring heals the same amount as Lefties, but won't stick around throughout the game. Charcoal, meanwhile, can be put on any Pokemon on your team to be whipped out with a quick switch to immediately and permanently cripple any of your opponent's physical attackers -- it is almost impossible to prevent or predict, and takes great effort to undo.

Item Name: Choice Lens
Item Effect: Accuracy is 1.5x, choice lock
Flavor (optional): Just an accuracy based choice item

Item Name: Heavy Armor
Item Effect: Defense is 1.5x but holder can only use attacking moves
Flavor: Counterpart to Assault Vest
I personally would prefer Tapler's Augmented Lens to Choice Lens, as choice lock is an incredibly severe penalty for a +50% accuracy. Heavy armor is definitely your best submission, but it is a bit buried beneath your other submissions.

Item Name: Boxing Glove
Item Effect: Fist moves have 1.2 power, but speed is divided by 1.2 when using them.
Flavor:A boxing globe makes you punch harder, but the frequency of your hits is rediced singe you have something on your hands.
This is a nerfed version of PMD's Boxing Gloves submission, which already isn't a particularly powerful item. I definitely prefer PMD's.
Item Name: Stopwatch
Item Effect: While a Pokemon with this item is on the field, field conditions cannot be set or changed, and their timers do not count down. It also supresses Weather and Terrain-setting abilities like Neutralizing Gas does. When a Pokemon with this item switches in, the message “[Holder] froze time with its Stopwatch!” is displayed in battle text. (Affects Weathers, Terrains, Rooms, Sports, and Gravity. Becomes active before abilities do on switch-in.)
A lot of people seem to just be shrugging off Slippery Sled as some weak item that provides a slight buff to hail, but it’s anything but. Being able to give any mon +1 speed while under the effects of a field condition that can be set by certain mons on switchin is stupidly strong, and it only gets even more ridiculous when you realize that same field condition gets to abuse one of the best tools in the game for HO teams: Aurora Veil. Any team that isn’t hard stall and doesn’t have its own weather setter can and will be curb stomped by an Alolan Ninetales partnered with four or five Sled sweepers. In other words, the meta’s inevitably going to become a weather war, and honestly, I’m here for it. At the very least, it makes the meta very distinct from normal OU. So, leaning hard into the weather war idea, Stopwatch allows you to ensure that the conditions you want are active, at the cost of your item slot. Of course, if you want to run this thing, it can’t be on a setter; that wouldn’t work, even if you have a weather-setting ability. If you want to run it on a field condition abuser, you have to give up a power-boosting item or, in Hail’s case, Sled, both of which really hurt. The NGas-like effect on Weather/Terrain abilities is to prevent teams from spamming this item to completely lock down their field condition of choice, as Weather/Terrain abilities will activate when a mon holding this item switches out or is knocked out, even if the switchin to replace them is also holding this item. Outside of fucking with weather, the Stopwatch would also be a nice buff for Trick Room and could make it a genuinely viable strategy.
A lot of my thoughts about my own Weather Balloon un-submission from the last slate apply to your Stopwatch. Setters and sweepers may not be the ones running the item, but all of the other team mates will want to, and this item gets better and better for weather the more supporting teammates run it -- which is antithetical to the item variety that we want to encourage in this pet mod. This logic can also be applied to Expanding Force and Rising Voltage teams, too, so arguably the effect is even stronger.
Item Name: Augmented Lens
Item Effect: Holder’s non-OHKO Physical and Special attacks cannot miss (unless the target is in a semi-invulnerable state), but consume twice as much PP when used. When a Pokemon with this item switches in, the message “[Holder] locks on with its Augmented Lens!” is displayed in battle text.
Augmented Lens strikes me as being the best accuracy-boosting submission that we have had so far. Definitely an item that I want to see get in, unless someone can persuade me that they have found a better alternative.
Item Name: Eviospite
Item Effect: If holder's species can evolve, its Speed is boosted x1.5
Flavor: A metamorphosed form of Eviolite, that effects speed rather than defences.
Uses: Completing the set with Eviolite and Everstone, this opens the door for fast NFE revenge killers/supports. 3 biggest users I can imagine are Haunter, Kadabra, and Galarian Mr. Mime.

Item Name: Usage Policy.
Item Effect: If a move of the holder's runs out of PP, this item is consumed, and they gain +1 to all stats except Evasion.
Flavor: Like the other "Policy" items, activates when a bad thing happens to its holder, and gives a stat boost to turn that into a good thing.
Uses: For those down with doing some very long term planning in their battles, this allows you to get a massive late game boost, and should allow it's holder to clean up nearly every time it is successfully activated. Of course, you have to a) stay in for 8 turns to spam the same move while, b) avoiding item removal and c) keeping at high enough health to clean up afterword.

I know that we just did Everstone, but Eviospite also has my interest -- definitely one to look into. (Also, you spelled "defenses" wrong!)
Usage Policy looks pretty cool, but is also rather niche. Not my highest priority for getting slated, but I feel like it has potential -- why don't you find a set for a Pokemon that you think this item would be used with?
I'm not super confident in Max Marigold, only because it only makes sense in the context of this pet mod; I couldn't see it being usable in game. Maybe that makes me narrow-minded, though.
Item Name: Joker
Item Effect: This pokemon's moves that are not STAB deal 1.3x damage.
Flavor (optional): A joker card.

Item Name: Detective Lens
Item Effect: Lets a move that would normally not affect the target actually affect it. Single-Use.
Flavor (optional): Idk detectives are good at finding people ig

Item Name: Blood Amulet
Item Effect: This pokemon's moves deal 1.1x damage. This item cannot be tricked, knocked off or consumed in any way.
Flavor (optional): Fuck knock off and fuck trick
I definitely feel like I overlooked Joker during the last slate, and it is setting the standard for my vote right now.
I can't quite tell if Detective Lens would be interesting but niche or annoying. Try building an argument that would justify its inclusion.
Blood Amulet seems weak enough that I wouldn't expect it to ever be run unless knock off becomes a crippling problem for this pet mod, so I'm not really excited by it as it is. I'm still on the lookout for knock off counter-play that meaningfully dissuades knock off while still leaving counter-play for the item itself on the table.
Item Name: Shell Bell
Old Effect: After an attack, holder gains 1/8 of the damage in HP dealt to other Pokemon.
New Effect: After taking damage from a direct attack, holder gains 1/5 of the damage in HP lost.

Explanation: Shell Bell was never seen in competitive play besides level 1 endeavor aron, so I changed its aspect to a defensive item, which would probably be useful on walls, especially mixed ones such as Toxapex, so that it could use less EVs to avoid 2HKOs from both physical and special attacks. Though 1/5 of the damage might seem a lot, it actually only heals 10% from a would-be 2HKO, which is not much more than Leftovers recovery while healing little to no HP from weaker attacks/ free turns.
I'm a fan, but I will say that it could stand to be buffed even more. 2HKOs are hard to come by without a boosting item -- which is mutually exclusive with Shell Bell -- and there are plenty of turns where you will be getting 0% recovery. I would recommend increasing the healing to 1/4 of the damage dealt, and even then I would expect the item to be reasonably tame.
Item Name: Molding Clay
Effect: When the holder switches in, Molding Clay is shaped into whatever item the foe is holding, and gives the message "{Holder} molded their clay into {foe's item}!"
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. The holder shapes the clay to match the foe's held item.

Like Trace for items. It lets you see which item the foe is holding and also gives you the item's bonus, although it can put you in a tough position if you copy a choice item, assault vest, or power suppressor without expecting it.

Item Name: Shady Hood
Effect: When the holder uses a move that reduces the foe's stats, each of those stats are reduced by one stage further.
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. The hood unsettles the foe, making stat-lowering moves more potent.

A way to make stat-lowering moves somewhat usable. Parting shot is the big winner, but moves like Snarl, Acid Spray, Tickle, etc. now drop the foe's stats far enough to potentially be worth the turn.
I want to focus on these two. Molding clay seems to have a similar justification to my Guidebook from last slate -- I feel like yours is stronger, which isn't bad, but I'm also not sure if all the items with negative effects means that it might be weaker. I am afraid that the inconsistency of the item may make it a less meaningful option, but I'm open to hearing responses to that fear.
As for Shady Hood, I like the premise. Definitely seems like the kind of item that would be good for a few odd Pokemon that didn't really have an item for them -- things like Liepard. I'm just not convinced that this is important enough to make my top cut.
Item Name: Casteliacone
Old Effect: No use as a held item.
New Effect: If the holder is hit by a biting move, freezes the attacker for one turn after. Single use
Flavor (optional): [Attacker] got a brain freeze from [Holder]'s Casteliacone!
Seems like an item that is hard to justify, though I could imagine a meta where a setup sweeper that resists prominent biting moves runs this for matchup-specific setup opportunities. Easy to like, hard to vote for.

Last edited:
This one should probably be nerfed to only effect the first move rather than be a choice. Although it might be a bit much for a certain unburden luchador hawk.
The item functions like a Z-Crystal, and isn't consumed after use, thus it can't trigger Unburden. But I have modified the activation conditions as you suggested, in addition I added a warning text to make that first move more predictable, in hopes of keeping Max Airstream users in check.
I know that we just did Everstone, but Eviospite also has my interest -- definitely one to look into. (Also, you spelled "defences" correctly! Thank you for service in fighting against the dictionary propagandists you fine gentleman!)
Usage Policy looks pretty cool, but is also rather niche. Not my highest priority for getting slated, but I feel like it has potential -- why don't you find a set for a Pokemon that you think this item would be used with?
This was a case of "Let's make an interesting thing and figure out how to use it later". The best thing I found for this, (where the Pokemon wasn't just better off running Choice items or a boosting move) was Pressure Zapdos with Detect+Roost and 2 attacks, and maybe Ditto. The thing with 8 PP moves is that they fall into 1 of 2 camps.
A) They have massive downsides that don't let you spam them well, (Draco, Superpower, Detect, etc.) or
B) They are really good, probably the best move in your moveset, (Wicked Blow, Magma Storm, DiB), so spamming it will either lead to your win before you can trigger the Usage Policy, or you'll needlessly cripple yourself in order to activate your Item as you wasted all its PP on something that walled the move.
I am really unsatisfied with this item in retrospect, so I'm gonna withdraw it and try and retool it into something similar but easier to balance for the next slate.
I'm not super confident in Max Marigold, only because it only makes sense in the context of this pet mod; I couldn't see it being usable in game.
Fair.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I definitely feel like I overlooked Joker during the last slate, and it is setting the standard for my vote right now.
I can't quite tell if Detective Lens would be interesting but niche or annoying. Try building an argument that would justify its inclusion.
Blood Amulet seems weak enough that I wouldn't expect it to ever be run unless knock off becomes a crippling problem for this pet mod, so I'm not really excited by it as it is. I'm still on the lookout for knock off counter-play that meaningfully dissuades knock off while still leaving counter-play for the item itself on the table.
Glad you like the Joker!

Considering Blood Amulet, the thing to know is that knock off and trick are moves that see kind of a stupid amount of usage right now in overused. Since Z-Moves and Megas aren't a thing anymore, there is very little counterplay against them, at the point where you can argue that they are already problematic. This item could alleviate a bit of that pressure on some teams by having at least one dedicated koff absorber while still retaining a generic useful effect. I plan on making a defensive version later as well.

As for detective lens, now that I think about it, yh its probably annoying lol, but idk I like the idea of toxifying steels too much to retract my sub haha. But yh ofc you don't have to vote for it.

Poison Barb

Yeah no I do not like this at all. This could be fucking terrifying depending on the pokemon. I know steel types are immune but I feel as though this item could be pretty broken. With the power suppressor you can really only effect one pokemon with losing their ability. Here you can potentially effect an entire team from suppressing their abilities. That is why I am vetoing it.
At first I assumed that, because the Gastro Acid can be removed on switchout, it'd be fine enough to play against. Considering how spammable Core Enforcer is in Hackmons, though, I think it was probably a good idea to trash the item. I swapped it out for a Joy Buzzer Knock-off punishing item.

Also, I think there's one item mechanic that we've been mostly neglecting in this pet mod - Fling. While obviously Fling is very rarely used, it may be good for the sake of completeness to address it. Maybe just set a default power for fling on custom items (a lot of held items lean towards 30 base power) and allow changes and added effects as desired. It's at least food for thought.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Item Name: Rainbow Cloak
Item Effect: Grants the first move in the holder's moveslot STAB. Affected by abilities like Adaptability.
Niche: Really good for Adaptability users like Crawdaunt and Porygon-Z (and Dragalge ig but nah)

:cell battery:
Item Name: Psyche Battery
Item Effect: Adds +5 BP to every move for every one of the holder's stat changes.
Niche: Good for setup sweepers and omniboosters like Kommo-o and Falinks

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Item Name: Contrary Berry
Item Effect: When the holder's stat changes, they change in reverse. Single Use.
Flavor: Basically works like a single use contrary.

Item Name: Entrance Armor
Item Effect: On the turn the holder switches in, it takes 2/3 damage.
Flavor: Lets you switch-into stuff more easily.

:room service:
Item Name: Room Service
Old Effect: If Trick Room is active, the holder's speed is lowered by 1 stage. Single use.
New Effect: After using Trick Room, the holder immediately switches out. Single use.
Flavor: This not only allows you to switch-in your Trick Room abusers safely but also gives them an extra turn to do whatever they want and an extra turn of Trick Room can mean an extra KO. A good buff for a mediocre playstyle.

Item Name: Fog Machine
Item Effect: If Misty Terrain is active while the holder is on the field, Light Screen and Reflect are set to the holder's side of the field for 3 turns. Single use.
Flavor: Broken Misty Seed This item lets Tapu Fini have auto-screens or can be used by some other unburden/set up sweepers used on the same team as Tapu Fini. Misty Terrain being thw worst terrain, it would let it see more usage.

Item Name: Status Policy
Item Effect: If the holder is statused, it gains +1 attack and +1 spatk. Single Use.
Flavor: Not very reliable for boosting but it can work well on guts pokemons that want to absorb status and will make their attacks devastating.
Luxray @ Status Policy
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Facade
- Superpower
- Crunch
Get statused, setup with agility and sweep.

Last edited:

Item Name: Honey
Old Effect: In gens IV-VII it was used to attract pokemon. Gen VIII turned it into a selling item.
New Effect: It boosts the holder's accuracy by 20%, but it also makes moves against the holder more accurate by 20%.
Flavor (optional): Honey kind of has no purpose at all now, so let's give it one. The logic here is that by holding the sweet honey your foes would come closer to you and thus easier to hit, however since they're closer to you they'll also hit you.

Item Name: Reinforcements
Item Effect: Prevents protect from failing once and is then consumed.
Flavor (optional): This is basically a last stand sort of deal for more defensive mons. However they'd lose out on passive healing from lefties or passive damage from rocky helmet.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Item Name: Lycanium Z
Old Effect:
Allows Lucanroc to use the Z-Move Splonyered Stormshards
New Effect: Boosts the power of contact moves used by Lycanroc by ×1.33
Flavor: Z-Moves are dead, so remaking the Crystals to usable items seem cool. Tell me if that's not allowed though.

Item Name: Power Gel
Item Effect: Halves the user's speed. The user's attacks have 30% more power.
Flavor: A sticky gel that radiates with power but strains movement.
Based off of PokemonMasterDebater and Mossy Sandwich's submissions, this item is a much needed alternative to Life Orb. Life Orb naturally favors fast Pokemon that mitigate the recoil damage by focusing on revenge killing or threatening out opponents -- if you aren't taking hits, you don't have to worry about Life Orb putting you in range of your opponent's attacks. Slow Pokemon, meanwhile, rely on the bulk that Life Orb undermines to find their opportunities, which tends to either hamstring them into choice-locking themselves or settling for Leftovers and unimpressive power. Slow attackers are thus disadvantaged by the current set of power-boosting items, and this is reflected in their relatively low usage. Introducing Power Gel will level the playing field for slow attackers, giving them a nice boost to viability. Below are some examples of Pokemon that benefit from being able to avoid selling out on their natural bulk without giving up the damage boost.

Reuniclus @ Power Gel
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Reuniclus may seem like an odd example to use, given that it is a slow attacker that nullifies Life Orb recoil using its Magic Guard ability, but I think that it actually proves my point. Reuniclus is one of the few slow attackers with a good competitive resume, and it happens to be able to use Life Orb without recoil damage -- sounds a lot like Power Gel. Moreover, Life Orb is arguably the reason why Reuniclus prefers Magic Guard to Regenerator, so having Power Gel would meaningfully expand Reuniclus's range of options, even though Reuniclus is the slow attacker that is the least in need of Power Gel.

Cursola @ Power Gel
Ability: Perish Body
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Strength Sap

Hatterene (F) @ Power Gel
Ability: Magic Bounce
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Draining Kiss
- Trick Room

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)