Pet Mod Item Factory [THE MOD IS DEAD, DO NOT REVIVE]

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
:swsh/volcanion:
Item Name: Steam Engine
Effect: If the holder is Volcanion, the first time it uses a Fire-type move, its attacking stat is multiplied by 2 while using a Water-type attack as long as it remains active and has this Ability.
Description: Instead of a Nasty Plot.

:swsh/celebi:
Item Name: Eternal Seed
Effect: If the holder is Celebi, upon switching in a terrain, this item is consumed and said terrain becomes infinite for as along as it's not replaced or destroyed.
Description: Could be used as a cool tech for some teams.

Last edited:
Friday was yesterday meaning today is when we start voting for our subs. However as I mentioned voting is a bit different this time around for signature items.

How it works is that we "borrow" the voting system were you look at the subs and write the name of the three users that had the best signature items. The first name counts as three votes, second name counts as two, and the third name counts as one. The template for this voting slate will look like this. However if you list lst only two names your first vote counts as two votes and the second name counts as one vote.. Likewise if you only put one name down it counts as one vote.

Celebi Signature Item:
Zarude Signature Item:
Diancie Signature Item:
Volcanion Signature Item:

Note: These self voting rules and the explanation are from good user lyd, slightly adapted to fit this pet mod
If you want to vote for yourself now, it gets slightly more complicated. You can always keep voting for yourself as second, but you can change the order a bit, for as long as the number of self-votes equals 2x the number of submissions you made. Let's use some examples to make it more understandable:

Stallbreaker: Yoshiblaze, Exploudit, Ludicrousity
Special Wall: Ludicrousity, Exploudit, Yoshiblaze
Defensive Pivot: Ludicrousity, Exploudit, Yoshiblaze

So this voting format is good, cuz' i voted for myself as second three times, and when you add everything up, I gave myself 6 votes, which is fine, as it is exactly the number of submissions I made for the slate x2. However, say I liked my Stallbreaker submission a lot, and I really want it to win, I can play around with my votes a little bit:

Stallbreaker: Exploudit, Yoshiblaze, Ludicrousity
Special Wall: Ludicrousity, Exploudit, Yoshiblaze
Defensive Pivot: Ludicrousity, Yoshiblaze, Exploudit

So to make my Stallbreaker first vote, I moved my Defensive Pivot self-vote to last. Makes sense, right? And when you add up the votes, 3 + 2 + 1 = 6 which is exactly what I want. Let's say that I like my Special Wall and Defensive Pivot submissions more, and I didn't like my Stallbreaker submission too much. I can do this:

Stallbreaker: Yoshiblaze, Ludicrousity, G-Luke
Special Wall: Exploudit, Ludicrousity, Yoshiblaze
Defensive Pivot: Exploudit, Ludicrousity, Yoshiblaze

3 + 3 adds up to six, so I'm good to that. Small note that this can't be done if I made no Stallbreaker submission because if that was the case, the number of submissions I made x2 would actually end up as 4, which isn't enough. Also, had I only made a single submission, I'd always have to self-vote as #2 or lower because making only one submission gives me only two self-vote points. I hope that was clear, if you had any trouble to understand this, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it as best as I can.

Given the lack of subs this time around I will probably hold off on doing another one of these for a while, and leave it to a poll to decide which pokemon deserves a signature item.

Anyway here are the subs.
Item Name: Pink Cloak
Item Effect: Raises Zarude’s Defense and Speed by 50% when held
Flavor (optional): Made after the Dada cloak that certain Zarude wear.

Item Name: Pocket Boiler
Item Effect: Water and Fire typed moves deal 1.3 times Damage when held by Volcanion. (Stab also has its effect)
Flavor (optional): A pocket boiler that Volcanion uses to increase the strength of its boiled water.

Item Name: Ilex Berry
Item Effect: If held by a Celebi and it reaches below 33% health, provide an boost to all main stats except HP.
Flavor (optional): A berry tainted by Celebi’s wooded embrace.

Item Name: Crystal Shard
Item Effect: When held by Diancie, apply a Serene Grace effect.
Flavor (optional): A magical crystal that Diancie uses to heighten her powers.

Item Name: Faulty Sprinkler
Item Effect: If held by a Volcanion, causes it to follow any damaging move (besides the one caused by Sprinkler) with a 30bp Special Water-type attack that targets every Pokemon on the field, including itself. This item cannot be removed from Volcanion in any way.
Loosely inspired by KeeganSkymin444’s Water Vellumental from Crossover Chaos, Faulty Sprinkler provides Volcanion with a number of benefits. The most obvious one is the 22bp (not 30 because of split damage) damage bonus on each attack, which provides some nice chip and deals with Sturdy/Sash. It also makes it harder to switch into its coverage thanks to it effectively attacking with two types at once. The biggest benefit of this item comes from it targeting the user, activating Water Absorb and healing Volcanion for 1/4 of its health (unless NG is active, in which case you just hit yourself) whenever it attacks. This would make for an incredible bulky attacker, especially when combined with its solid defensive typing. The final benefit is that it can’t be removed, which not only allows Volcanion to switch in easily on Knock Off, but actively deters the opponent from clicking it because, if you see Volcanion in team preview, you know it’s holding this. All of this combined would make Volcanion very strong, but not broken. Its recovery doesn’t come on the turn it switches in, meaning that if you hard read the switch or click a pivoting move to go into something that scares it out, it doesn’t get any recovery from the sequence. The weakness to Stealth Rock without being able to run Boots also helps to offset this recovery. Volcanion would also still be walled by Bulky Waters, and they all run Toxic, which is the last thing you want hitting a mon that wants to stay in for several turns and regenerate its health. Finally, the Water-type chip can be capitalized on by the opponent if they have something with Water Absorb or Weakness Policy, for example.

Item Name: Warped Diadem
Item Effect: If held by a Diancie, grants the effects of Persistent. This item cannot be removed from Diancie in any way.
Diancie is only really seen on Trick Room, so I decided to lean into that and do the same thing I did with Megamax Hatterene by taking that to its logical extreme and making Diancie the premier Trick Room setter in the meta. As has been demonstrated in both CAP and Megamax, one mon with extended TR is single-handedly enough to make it a legitimately good archetype. Diancie may not have the utility of Fidgit or the raw power of Mega Hatt, but it still has Stealth Rock and (Misty) Explosion for suicide lead sets, Encore to aid setup, Heal Bell and extended Safeguard for team support, and Draining Kiss for longevity, all helping it to fill this niche. A combinaiton of Warped Diadem and Power Gel would be than enough to allow Trick Room teams to compete with all of the Weather in the mod. Diancie also gets Gravity and Wonder Room, which aren’t too practical, but are pretty damn fun. Similarly to Faulty Sprinkler, this is an active deterrent for Knock Off, because if you see a Diancie in team preview you already know what it’s holding.

Item Name: Heart of Oak
Item Effect: If held by a Zarude, Jungle Healing affects every Pokemon on its team besides itself and heals for 15%. This item cannot be removed from Zarude in any way.
I have no idea why we’re giving Zarude a signature item for “extra help”. It’s already good in OU, just got even better with the Phero ban, and is about to see a surge in usage once Urshifu’s banned. For that reason, rather than unnecessarily buffing up its potent stallbreaker set, Heart of Oak completely changes its role, making for an incredible cleric. Because of its abysmal defensive typing, you need to be very careful of bringing Zarude in, ideally capitalizing on something like Spectrier or a Knock Off spammer. Once you do get this thing in, though, Jungle Healing provides a stupidly high amount of support to your team. Not affecting Zarude itself is a steep penalty, as you can’t really hybridize with the stallbreaker set and if you want recovery on your cleric, you either need Synthesis or Rest, neither of which are particularly good. That said, the dichotomy between its stallbreaker and cleric sets would be a big buff to both, as they need to be played around differently, and until you click Jungle Healing or Knock Off fails, the opponent has to be prepared for two completely sets.
Item Name: Mystical Mist
Effect: If holder is a Volcanion, when switching in, sets Mist, Aqua Ring and Life Dew; cannot be knocked off when held by Volcanion.

Gives Volcanion a very unique utility niche. I went with this direction because lore-wise, Volcanion guarded a certain ancient village by keeping it hidden behind mists. Protects the team from stat drops and makes up for not having another item slot by having sudo-leftovers in Aqua Ring.

This might be a bit much, hopefully not. Volcanion currently isn't the most useful mon out there and being able to give it unique utility definetly would increase its viability

:swsh/diancie:
Item Name: Crystal Heart
Effect: When held by Diancie, cannot be Knocked Off and will make the User's moves run off of Defense instead of their respective offensive stats.

Simple one this time around, makes for some gimmicky use of Diamond Storm. I don't think anything we can do to diancie would realistically make her OU unless it was a super broken item, so I think trying to lean more on a gimicky sort of thing works better. This also allows diancie to run mixed sets quite effectively, since they will both run off of physical defense but mantain their categories when hitting the opponent.

View attachment 302841
Item Name: Sacred Sundial
Effect: Upon switching in, when held by Celebi, restores all lost items from its allies. Cannot be removed when held by Celebi
Lore: Celebi goes back in time to recover the lost items

Do I even have to? In a metagame so centered around items, and with a huge concern about Knock Off, having a pokémon that saves any lost items for your team is just amazing. This is however held back by the fact it's still Celebi. It's got very common weaknesses and it's an anti-Knock mon weak to Knock itself. Overall pretty integral to the overall metagame but still should be hopefully balanced

Edited my post for more clarity on Sundial's effect and a nerf to Volcanion's item
Replaced my submission for Volcanion as of 1/2/2021

View attachment 304774
Name: Metal Augment
Effect: When held by Volcanion, the user gains the Steel type, and the power of the user's STAB attacks is increased by 30%. Effects that grant Pokemon an additional type replace Volcanion's Steel type. This item cannot be removed from Volcanion.
Flavor: An augment of metal boilers and pumps that fastens securely to Volcanion.
Overview:
Volcanion is the only Pokemon that still doesn't have an item submission that I'm satisfied with, so I'm completing Volcanion for my only submission this slate. The most important question that our signature items should be answering is "Why use this Pokemon?", and the other submissions for Volcanion answer that question by offering utility. I feel the need to offer an alternative, however, because both of these forms of utility are arguably unhealthy -- but I'll save those thoughts for the feedback section. Beyond that, however, defensive utility items just aren't a good fit for Volcanion; as a SR weak Pokemon without reliable recovery that also wants a boosting item for its offensive presence, utility items get put into the awkward position of having to offset Heavy-Duty Boots even before they can even start improving the Pokemon. I've decided to double down on what Volcanion's stats naturally prepare it for -- being a powerful attacker that can take hits or switch in using its unique typing. Because the premise of our item submissions is to improve the Pokemon, I've based this item off of Life Orb, as Volcanion prefers running offensive items in OU.

Effect:

This item makes Volcanion a Fire/Water/Steel type. Effects that give Pokemon third types have precedent -- see the Gen6 moves Forest's Curse and Trick-or-Treat.

Gaining the Steel type is very advantageous for Volcanion; firstly, it dramatically increases Volcanion's longevity simply by mitigating its Stealth Rock weakness, though it would also enjoy immunities to sandstorm and poison. Secondly, Steel typing improves a lot of matchups, especially with Dragons and Fairies. The only important matchups that get worse are against fighting types -- steel's other weakness either already existed or are nullified by double-resistance. Volcanion gains access to steel's slew of resistances and can withstand knock off, allowing it more switch in opportunities.

Signature Item Specific Justification:
Because they are locked to specific Pokemon, signature items are our only opportunity to create items with effects that would otherwise be over-the-top if they could be used by any Pokemon. In this case, this is an opportunity where it makes sense to create a type-changing item -- both from a flavor and gameplay perspective. Type changing items generally aren't something that should be made available to all Pokemon -- but when making signature items, we have a controlled enough environment to use such experimental mechanics. This is also mostly a straight upgrade to Life Orb, which shouldn't be made for all Pokemon -- but this slate assumes that we should be buffing the Pokemon in question, and so decreasing item diversity for that specific Pokemon to increase Pokemon diversity has already been agreed to.

Example Set:
Volcanion @ Metal Augment
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat / Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon / Toxic
- Earth Power / Defog

Between Tapler, AquaticPanic, and myself, there seems to be consensus that signature items should be immovable; this makes a lot of sense, as signature items tend to be a crutch for Pokemon that desperately need them (see Marowak). I would just advise that, in future slates, we be careful not to make items that might be overbearing immovable, as I do see some value in item-interacting moves for counterplay. Here are some specific submissions that I want to comment on:

These two from Tapler are my respective frontrunners for Diancie and Zarude, as both items answer the question "Why should I use this Pokemon?" in a way that gives them a purpose. My only recommendation for Warped Diadem would be to make the item effect specific to the options that Diancie has access to instead of referencing CAP's Persistent.

This is my frontrunner for Celebi. While I'm not a fan of how the effect is worded, the premise has multiple implications and is entirely unique to Celebi, which could open the door for new styles of teams that would give Celebi a niche. I would like to see this submission revised, however; there is some flavor text in the effect that would be better off in a "Flavor:" row, and the actual effect could stand to be made more clear and specific. Perhaps something along the lines of "If held by Celebi, all items Pokemon on the user's team that don't have an item regain any items that they had that were lost or consumed when the user switches in. This item cannot be removed from Celebi.".

Because these 3 Pokemon have such good items already, I decided that I should focus on the one Pokemon that wasn't quite where I was hoping yet. I'll just make a quick point about why I'm not into the alternatives.
:xy/Volcanion:

This item is a Life Orb without recoil that doesn't boost Volcanion's coverage -- and that definitely isn't enough to put Volcanion on the map.

While I am a fan of how this item gets a lot of mileage out of one specific effect, I've got some problems with it. Firstly, I'm philosophically opposed to damaging attacks that take effect upon switchin; I give it a lot more leeway because it is a signature item, but being able to essentially use a priority move no matter which Pokemon you have on the field as long as you have Volcanion in the back breaks a lot of the structure of the game in a way that I don't think is constructive, even if it isn't oppressive. More importantly, however, I don't see this item as giving Volcanion what it needs to succeed; the Water Absorb activation is mostly a consolation for missing Heavy Duty Boots, and doesn't give Volcanion the significant defensive utility or offensive power that it would need to find a niche in the meta.

I object to this for similar reasons that I object to Faulty Sprinkler; while this is defensively even more of an upgrade to Heavy-Duty Boots, it also adds priority Haze that can be used regardless of which of your Pokemon is currently active as long as Volcanion is in the back. While this would definitely guarantee Volcanion a niche, it breaks the structure of the game in a way that is oppressive, not constructive; this basically becomes stall's answer to all pressure from stat-boosting breakers. The existing counterplay that stall has (unaware and normal Haze) is about as sufficient as the counterplay can be pushed without making stall unhealthy.

Assuming that each Pokemon gets one item, this is my ideal outcome for the upcoming vote -- barring any really good late entries:
  • Tapler's Heart of Oak, for Zarude
  • Tapler's Warped Diadem, for Diancie
  • AquaticPanic's Sacred Sundial, for Celebi
  • My Metal Augment, for Volcanion
Item Name: Auxiliary Boiler
Item Effect: If held by Volcanion, increases the power of the user's Fire type and Water type attacks by the percentage of the remaining PP of the attack. When the user uses a Fire type or Water type attack, the PP of the all of the user's Fire and Water type attacks is additionally reduced by 4. This item cannot be removed from Volcanion.
Description: A boiler that fastens securely onto Volcanion, powering up its Fire and Water type attacks until it runs out of steam.

Effect:
The power of Volcanion's fire and water type attacks are increased by the percentage of the remaining PP of the attack; for example, a Steam Eruption with 8/8 PP grants a 100% boost, causing Steam Eruption to have 220 base power. A steam eruption with 5/8 PP has 178.75 base power; A steam eruption with 2/8 PP has 137.5 base power. Because the item reduces PP by 3 instead of 1, Volcanion's strongest moves can only be used 3 times each -- though if you've used them all, you've probably knocked out a lot of Pokemon. All this comes together to make a Pokemon with pure firepower that must remain vigilant to avoid running out of steam.

For some perspective, here is how an unused Overheat compares to a Fishious Rend:

252+ SpA Volcanion Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Type: Null: 324-382 (82.2 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Type: Null: 372-438 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Obviously, invoking the name of Dracovish is a scary prospect; I'm quite confident that Volcanion isn't the next Dracovish, however; between being item locked, slower, stealth rock weak, and being PP-restricted, Volcanion won't be able to surprise opponents, keep up with as many Pokemon, hit the field freely, or spam one move over and over again.

Signature Item Specific Justification:
Because they are locked to specific Pokemon, signature items are our only opportunity to create items with effects that would otherwise be over-the-top if they could be used by any Pokemon. In this case, this is one of the few opportunities where it makes sense to make a steeply powerful boosting item. This also means that this is one of the only opportunities to implement this item's gameplay mechanic -- power boosting based off of remaining PP -- because items of this type are naturally powerful unless you make the item unduly complicated by adding parts to the damage boosting equation. This is also the most enjoyable opportunity to implement a signature item of this function, as creating a mechanic that loses steam as more 'pressure' is released is perfectly appropriate for Volcanion.

Results:
With the strongest immediate power in the metagame, Volcanion would immediately have a niche. It wouldn't be without obstacles, however -- most water and dragon types will resist its STAB moves, stealth rock and poor speed will keep it in check, and its PP-based 'steam power' will be appropriately vulnerable to interactions from Pressure and other sources. You should use this Pokemon if you are looking for the immediate power to blast through even the fattest teams.

Example Set:
View attachment 304413
Volcanion @ Auxiliary Boiler
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Scald / Earth Power

:dracovish: (Dracovish! Dracovish! Dracovish! Dracovish! Be revived and ruin OU!) :dracovish:
Effect: If the holder is Volcanion, the first time it uses a Fire-type move, its attacking stat is multiplied by 2 while using a Water-type attack as long as it remains active and has this Ability.
Description: Instead of a Nasty Plot.

:swsh/celebi:
Item Name: Eternal Seed
Effect: If the holder is Celebi, upon switching in a terrain, this item is consumed and said terrain becomes infinite for as along as it's not replaced or destroyed.
Description: Could be used as a cool tech for some teams.
Addendum: In the case of Zarude since there are only two submissions I think it's better to treat it similarly to a tiebreaker where you can really only vote for one sub.

I apologize for how much of a mess this mod has been for the past couple of weeks. I never intended for this slate to go on for so long. Shit just happens you know. In hind sight I should have only had a one week hiatus. I promise the next slate will just be a normal one. Also because I am tired of this slate I am going to say voting ends at 11:59pm EST on Monday rather than the usual five day voting period.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
:celebi:AquaticPanic, Gravity Monkey, TheUltraFinder
:zarude:Tapler
:diancie: Tapler, TheUltraFinder
:volcanion: AquaticPanic, Gravity Monker, Aizaik

Congratulations to our winners
AquaticPanic's Sacred Sundial
Tapler's Heart of Oak and Warped Diadem

Now we will go into our two day discussion phase, however in addition to discussing potential sets for these items there will also be a tie breaker between Aizaik's Metal Augment, AquaticPanic's Pocket Boiler, and Gravity Monkey's steam engine.

For the tiebreaker simply vote for the item you think is the best, and the candidates should refrain from voting during the tiebreaker.

Last edited:
Diancie's best role is going to be as a Trick Room lead with Stealth Rock, and potentially running Explosion to keep up momentum after setting up TR. Zarude's team healing could be used to keep its team mates out of range of certain attacks to make the team more flexible. Celebi is the one that I'm the most excited about -- it could potentially become its own team archetype, and it is going to have a lot of new interactions with every consumable item that gets added. Right now, Sacred Sundial Celebi could be used offensively to reuse powerful items such as Power Herb and Normal Gem, or to restore defensive items such as Iapappa Berry and Vacuum Bag to keep the team healthy.

Tie breaker between Aizaik's Metal Augment, AquaticPanic's Mystical Mist, and Gravity Monkey's Steam Engine.

Effect: If holder is a Volcanion, when switching in, sets Mist, Aqua Ring and Life Dew; cannot be knocked off when held by Volcanion.

Effect: When held by Volcanion, the user gains the Steel type, and the power of the user's STAB attacks is increased by 30%. Effects that grant Pokemon an additional type replace Volcanion's Steel type. This item cannot be removed from Volcanion.

Volcanion is currently C rank in OU for its Choice Specs set that is sometimes run on rain teams. None of these items outperform Choice Specs in rain if damage output is our metric -- Metal Augment doesn't grant as much of a damage buff, while Steam Engine would require using Flamethrower in rain before boosting to power levels where the rain isn't even needed, but setting up gives the opponent a free turn to switch in an offensive check. Therefore, these items should be evaluated for making Volcanion worth using outside of rain. Let's analyze each item:

The closest comparison to this item is Heavy Duty Boots + Leftovers; Mist is a ribbon bonus that is of vague and little value on its own. Activating Life Dew compensates for the 25% Stealth Rock damage that should be assumed, while Aqua Ring grants the same benefits as Leftovers. This is situationally better than Leftovers + HDB -- if Stealth Rock is off of the field, that compensation becomes a watered-down regenerator. This item gives Volcanion defensive tools, which isn't an approach that I like on it's own -- as a grounded, stealth rock vulnerable, toxic-susceptible Pokemon without recovery moves, I fear that this item will only be enough to compensate for some of these disadvantages. If that is the case, Volcanion would end up being unimpressive both defensively and offensively, because you are giving up an offensive item in order to use it. Unless someone could show me some good evidence of this improving Volcanion's matchups in OU, this option isn't very appealing to me.

This option focuses on beefing up Volcanion's power as a pseudo Nasty Plot, as Gravity Monkey said. It only powers up Water type moves, but can be set up while attacking. Frankly, what I like about this item the least is its wording, which has two problems. Firstly, the wording 'the first time it uses a fire type move' implies that this only happens once, but the item isn't consumable, so I have a feeling that it is meant to reset every time that Volcanion switches in, which is the only way that this item is good. Secondly, the item also appears to reference itself as an "Ability", which is poorly phrased. Putting these problems aside and dealing with the intention instead of the execution, I would like to compare this item to Choice Specs. Firstly, Choice Specs is way better in the rain, but even outside of rain I don't think that the comparison is favorable for Steam Engine. Let's assume that Volcanion has 2 turns to act before it has to switch out or be knocked out -- which should be common, because Volcanion is a slow Pokemon that is Stealth Rock weak, so we can assume that it can be revenge killed by anything faster than it that can deal at least 75% damage to it. Choice Specs Volcanion is strong enough to 2HKO just about anything without Water Absorb, and Steam Engine boosted Volcanion will probably manage similar 1HKOs on turn 2. This comes with two disadvantages, however. Firstly, Volcanion actually does less damage in 2 turns with Steam Engine than with Choice Specs -- because you have to use the weaker Flamethrower or the less accurate Fire Blast for less damage than a Specs boosted Steam Eruption turn 1, doubling the strength of your Steam Eruption on turn 2 makes for less net damage than simply boosting your Steam Eruption right away by 1.5 times. And after either item picks up that KO, usually either Volcanion will have to switch out, be sacked, or the game will have already been decided. Thus, Steam Engine realistically never overtakes Specs. This comparison becomes even less flattering if Volcanion only gets 1 turn to attack -- which will happen, because some OU Pokemon can switch in on resisted hits and outspeed Volcanion to threaten it. In this case, Steam Engine grants Volcanion only 1 weak attack, while Specs grants Volcanion 1 strong attack. Specs is the better item. Even if you try to claim that Choice Lock is too much of a disadvantage, you have to remember that Steam Engine also hamstrings your moves -- to benefit from it, you have to use a fire-type move followed by a water-type move. Steam Engine doesn't improve Volcanion; it runs into problems that have made most slow Nasty Plot sets irrelevant.

This is my submission, and I wrote about why it is justified in my original submission post. I'll show why it is the best option here, though, by comparing it to Mystical Mist and Choice Specs. Gaining the Steel type makes Volcanion significantly more useful by giving it more opportunities to switch in. Being no longer Stealth Rock weak allows Volcanion to take greater advantage of its natural bulk, and Steel's resistances give Volcanion more opportunities to come in on resisted hits. While this effect isn't as pronounced as Mystical Mist's healing allows, Metal Augment's Life Orb boost doesn't give up Volcanions offensive might, allowing Volcanion to better take advantage of these switchin opportunities with offensive retaliation. Because Volcanion's defensive shortcomings are what hold Volcanion back from being good in OU, but Volcanion's offensive strengths are what have allowed Volcanion to hold onto a niche, it makes a lot more sense to me to use Metal Augment's targeted defensive and offensive boon than to have Mystical Myst re-spec Volcanion into a defensive build.

The comparison between Metal Augment and Choice Specs can benefit from looking at Life Orb. Volcanion doesn't bother with Life Orb -- it wears down Volcanion even more quickly and doesn't provide as much damage, so there is consensus that Specs is the better option. Now, however, Volcanion's longevity is increased instead of decreased, Volcanion gains new switchin opportunities (which translates to more attacks!), Volcanion gains Steel STAB for additional coverage (admittedly, not the biggest perk), and Volcanion can switch moves freely to be less prediction reliant and possibly also run Defog. Choice Specs will definitely keep its place on Rain, but Metal Augment will do the best job at getting Volcanion into new team builds. I designed this item because I knew that Volcanion needed a better tailored submission, and I remain convicted that this is its best option.

My ranking of Volcanion's options are as follows: Metal Augment as the best option, Mystical Mist as a decent option, and Steam Engine as an unproductive option. Of course, as someone who submitted, I won't be voting, and I do have an interest in making the case for Metal Augment.

Last edited:
Alright the discussion phase is over which means so is the tie breaker and since no one voted I will be the one breaking the tie. I wanted to typically avoid this but in this situation I don't see any alternative. After looking at the subs and the astounding comparison that Aizaik had compiled I am going to say that the metal augment is the winner so congratulations Aiziak! With that said please refrain from items that add types in the future. Consider this an exception rather than a precedent.

THE SUBMISSION SLATE IS finally OPEN
This time it's a standard submission slate you have seven days to sub up to six items. Please read the rules if you want to know more.

Item Name: :rocky_helmet: Rocky Helmet
Old Effect: This item, when attached to a Pokemon, causes the attacker to receive recoil should they make a Physical hit.
New Effect: This Pokemon takes no recoil.
Flavor (optional): A from the name alone, a rocky helmet should give the user the effect of rock head, right? Pokemon says no. I say yes.

Item Name: Barbed Helmet
Item Effect: If physical contact is made on this Pokemon, the opponent will receive damage equal to 1/8th of its maximum HP.
Flavor (optional): Don't worry Ferrothorn, there's a new item for you! that actually has an appropriate name
Listen man I'm rejecting both of these. From what I found on Pikalytics Rocky Helmet is commonly used on Toxapex, Clefable, and Landorus which means they go against the first rule since you cannot revamp items that are already common place in OU. Secondly your second item is rejected because it's just a rocky helmet clone which is the third rule. Before you say that it's not because it deals less damage than Rocky Helmet, that just makes it a worse rocky helmet. I didn't expect anyone to come on here and do that because it kind of goes against the mod.

Book.png

Item Name: Rulebook
Item Effect: When the user or an opposing Pokemon switches in, if the opposing Pokemon has an item, the user displays the following message: "[user]'s Rulebook identified [opponent]'s [opponent's item]!". This item cannot be knocked off by moves with the effect of Knock Off.
Flavor: A handy guide to Item Factory. Know the items and enforce the rules!
This item exists to keep the metagame healthy by being a safeguard against our items becoming too obscure, unclear, or hard to identify. It also offers respectable defensive utility by absorbing Knock Off. It falls into the small category of moves, abilities, and items that deal with the informational side of the game -- which gives it special properties. For one, it can make it easier for new players to learn the users and functions of each item. Experienced players, however, can take advantage of that definite information to build a game plan -- which is especially valuable in metagames where many Pokemon run multiple items. It is most likely to see use on pivots that already have traits that reduce their reliance on Heavy-Duty Boots or Leftovers, such as Clefable or Slowbro.

Design Notes:
  • Since I last submitted it during the first slate, it has seen a number of changes:
    • The item's name has been changed from Guidebook to Rulebook, to thematically warrant the anti-knockoff measures.
    • The item now gives information when the user or the opponent switches in, granting the item significantly greater consistency.
    • The item now blocks Knock Off. Trick is intentionally not blocked, as I believe that trick is a healthy form of item specific counterplay because it involves a lot more investment from the user, and makes items *more* dynamic in the match, not less.

:sm/Clefable:
Clefable @ Rulebook
Book.png

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

:sm/Slowbro:
Slowbro @ Rulebook
Book.png

Ability: Regenerator
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Future Sight
- Teleport

Poke_Puff_Deluxe_Sweet_Sprite.png

Item Name: Captivating Poké Puff
Item Effect: If an opposing Pokémon uses a move that causes it to switch out, the move fails and the following message is displayed: "[opponent] was coaxed into staying by [user's] Captivating Poké Puff!". When the user has 25% or less HP remaining, the user gains a number of hit points equal to three-fourths of the user's level, rounded up. Then, the item is consumed.
Flavor: A treat from the Kalos region known for being irresistible. In a pinch, it will heal the user during battle.
This generation has seen a surge of pivot-moving Pokemon, used both offensively, to put the opponent into a catch-22, and defensively, to let a bulky Pokemon take a hit before bringing in the firepower. This effect has been so pronounced that many have expressed discontent with the effect that the moves have had on the metagame -- the game can begin to feel like it plays itself, and these moves make choices less interesting by being so drawback free. Enter Captivating Poké Puff! Stopping your opponent from using pivoting moves will force them to think twice, giving your team more options for getting around U-Turn, Volt Switch, Flip Turn, Teleport, and Parting Shot. The item also comes with minor health-restoration properties, so it isn't a dead weight if your opponent never clicks a pivoting move -- but if HP is what you are looking for, Leftovers or Heavy Duty Boots is still your go-to. This item is particularly good on defensive Pokemon that are weak to common pivoting moves -- because it causes them to fail -- or defensive Pokemon that have low base HP.

Patch Note: 2/11/21: Increased healing from 1/2 the user's level in HP to the user's level in HP.

Patch Note: 2/12/21: Decreased healing from 100% to 75% of the user’s level in HP.

:sm/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Captivating Poké Puff

Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Future Sight
- Teleport

:sm/rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Captivating Poké Puff

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Both of these sets can prevent the opponent from pivoting and then respond by using their own pivot moves. Slowbro becomes immune to the otherwise super-effective U-Turn and Volt Switch.

RainbowCapeClear.png

Item Name: Rainbow Cloak
Item Effect: If the user is Normal type, the power of the user's non-STAB moves is increased by 50%, and when the user takes damage from an attack that isn't Fighting type, that damage is reduced by 50% for each move that the user has of the same type as the attack.
Flavor: A beautiful cloak that charges Normal types with supernatural power.
Normal types have it hard -- they can hardly switch into anything, and often rely on non-STAB coverage to check the few Pokemon that they can. They work best as blanket checks, but they can seldom specialize enough to adapt to their metagame -- until now. With the help of Rainbow Cloak, Normal types gain new switchins and the offensive effectiveness that they need to succeed, and can choose their movepool to be tailor-made for the current metagame. This is the best way to make Normal types other than Chansey or Blissey viable and interesting.

:sm/kangaskhan:
Kangaskhan (F) @ Rainbow Cloak RainbowCapeClear.png
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Thunder Punch

This set makes Kangaskhan into a check to Fire, Ground, Water, and Electric types, being able to pseudo-resist and respond super-effectively against all of them.

red cape.png

Item Name: Red Cape
Item Effect: After the user switches in, the opposing Pokemon receives the effect of the move Taunt -- preventing them from using status moves for 3 turns -- and the following message is displayed: "[opponent] was enraged by [user]'s Red Cape!". The item is then consumed. Items and abilities that block the effect of Taunt also prevent the effect of Red Cape.
Flavor: A self-aggrandizing cape of an enraging shade of red that causes opponents to become enraged.
This is the result of my thought "What is a fair way of preventing hazards from being set up using an item?", and developed into an item that can claim a niche for many different reasons. For one thing, it is a consumable item that immediately takes effect upon switchin -- an ideal item for Unburden users, who are usually stuck with less consistent pinch berries or terrain seeds. It can prevent hazards, prevent setup, block recovery moves, pressure stall, and provide your own setup opportunities -- all upon switchin. The possibilities with this item are extensive -- but its single, immediate usage means that, while it may do one of those things, it won't be doing all of them in the same game. It is up to the user to decide how long it is worth it to preserve the red cape, which creates interesting choices and interactions in-game -- and the item's catering to Unburden users ensures that it will be able to bring these positive qualities to competitive play.

:sm/hawlucha:
Hawlucha @ Red Cape red cape.png
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Throat Chop

I'm really happy about how much thematic and mechanical synergy this item has with Hawlucha :)

My Shell Bell buff has been withdrawn so that a better equation can be developed that rewards consistent, hard-hitting attackers more so than it does set-up sweepers. Here is the draft of the submission that was withdrawn:

:shell_bell:
Item Name: Shell Bell
Item Effect: After an attack, the holder gains 2/5 of the damage dealt in HP to the other Pokemon.

Shell bell helps some Pokemon more than it helps others -- specifically, it helps Pokemon that have good offensive stats, good defensive stats, and low HP. These Pokemon benefit from the item especially because the HP restored is in hit points, and not in terms of percentage the way that Leftovers is -- meaning that low HP pokemon gain more % than high HP pokemon would. That isn't helpful, though, unless you have an especially strong Defense or Special Defense. Shell bell has too many problems, however. Firstly, it expects the Pokemon to spread its stats thin between physical/special defense and a strong attacking stat, which results in the item's best users generally having bad stat spreads. Secondly, it faces stiff competition from Leftovers, which restores HP while being far less demanding on the user's stat spread or forcing the user to attack for healing. Thirdly, the rate at which Shell Bell actually gives you HP even once you meet its demands is still abysmal. I did some research that is included in the next spoiler, and the conclusion that I've come to is that Shell Bell would need to restore about 1/3 of the damage in HP done in order to catch up with Leftovers -- and that's on its best users, who are generally bad Pokemon. I've decided that the rate should be at least 2/5 in order for an improved shell bell to see enough play that it would be worth changing. At a rate of 2/5, I estimate that Shell Bell, over the course of a battle, would restore ~40% more % than leftovers for Pokemon that have base 45-61 HP and don't invest EVs into it -- Pokemon that have more HP and deal less damage, such as traditional defensive Leftovers Pokemon, would get substantially less out of it, especially if they rely on status moves. Here are some examples of Pokemon that would appreciate the new Shell Bell:

:sm/wishiwashi-school:
Wishiwashi @ Shell Bell :shell bell:
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

:sm/dusknoir:
Dusknoir @ Shell Bell :shell bell:
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Trick Room

:sm/stakataka:
Stakataka @ Shell Bell :shell bell:
Ability: Beast Boost
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Body Press
- Trick Room

Research Notes:
I played the following team in UU and recorded 4 replays. The goal was to gauge the effectiveness of Shell Bell -- I counted how many times Shell Bell triggered, and I counted the total HP in % that Shell Bell restored. Then, I compared that to how many times Leftovers would have triggered and how much Leftovers would have restored. Shell Bell restored a total of 102%, and Leftovers would have restored 225%. Leftovers would have triggered 36 times, and Shell Bell triggered 21 times. Shell Bell restored 4.9% HP with each triggering on average -- leftovers restores 6.25% every time, and triggered about 58% more frequently. These numbers were arrived at using the following team, which consists of 5 Pokemon that, according to my theorycrafting, get the most value out of (are harmed the least by, really) running the vanilla Shell Bell instead of Leftovers.

Wishiwashi @ Shell Bell
Ability: Schooling
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

Dusknoir @ Shell Bell
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Trick Room

Hatterene (F) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick Room
- Mystical Fire

Rotom-Mow @ Shell Bell
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Glastrier @ Choice Band
Ability: Chilling Neigh
Brave Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Avalanche
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower

Stakataka @ Shell Bell
Ability: Beast Boost
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Body Press
- Trick Room

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Item Name: Muddle Bulb
Item Effect: On entry, the holder and opponent have all of their non-HP stats lowered by 1 stage. This item is consumed after this occurs.
Flavor: Reskinned absorb bulb
Justification: A neat way to shut down a sweep once per battle. Also enables the usage of various item stealing methods after the bulb is consumed. Most importantly, frees my man Z-Celebrate Malamar.

Item Name: Time Bomb
Item Effect: Whenever the holder is attacked, displays the message "The bomb's timer ticks down to [current amount]!). Count begins at 3, and once it reaches 0 the holder loses 12.5% of their maximum HP and the attacker loses 50% of their maximum HP. The count decrease occurs before any secondary effects of an attack. This item is consumed after this occurs.
Flavor: Time bomb goes boom
Justification: An alternative to Rocky Helmet, the Time Bomb has higher burst damage and triggers on any attack, but has the downside of being single use, lower damage ceiling, and the slight amount of self damage. Best used by something like Ferrothorn or Corviknight.

Item Name: Ballistic Vest
Item Effect: Whenever the holder is attacked, they heal 1/6th of their maximum HP before the attack connects. The holder can only select attack moves.
Flavor: Reskinned Assault Vest
Justification: An alternative to Assualt Vest that universally softens blows for the user. Carries the same heavy downside and isn't quite as potent as Assault Vest is when it comes to specifically taking special attacks.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Resubs yet again

Item Name: Detective Lens
Item Effect: Lets a move that would normally not affect the target actually affect it for half the damage. Single-Use.
Flavor (optional): Idk detectives are good at finding people ig

Item Name: Blood Amulet
Item Effect: This pokemon's moves deal 1.1x damage. This item cannot be tricked, knocked off or consumed in any way.
Flavor (optional): Fuck knock off and fuck trick

Ema Skye

Work!
Item Name: Volcanic Ore
Item Effect: Absorbs one Fire-type attack. Turns into "Polished Ore" after use.
Flavor (optional): A rock that has been bathed in magma.

Item Name: Polished Ore
Item Effect: Absorbs one Water-type attack. Turns into "Polished Ore" after use.
Flavor (optional): A rock that has been cooled off.

Justification: Variants of Absorb Bulb / Snowball that provide damage immunity in exchange for not boosting a stat. While they aren't single use, few Pokemon could actually use both sides of the item (Ground/Bug, Ground/Ice and Ground/Steel being the only combos that use both).

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Item Name: Kaleidoscope
Item Effect: Grants the first move in the holder's moveslot STAB. Affected by abilities like Adaptability.
Niche: Really good for Adaptability users like Crawdaunt and Porygon-Z (and Dragalge ig but nah)

:float stone:
Item Name: Float Stone
Old Effect: Halves the holder's weight
Item Effect: The holder is airborne, but takes double damage from entry hazards. Announces itself on switch-in.
Niche: Good for Heatran and Magearna and other Steel-types that don't mind taking more hazard damage.

Last edited:
Howdy everyone! We're getting close to the end of the slate, so I thought I would analyze the current submissions. We'll go in order from the top of the page down to the bottom:

The first set of items are mine, so I'm not going to spend much time on them. I did update my post to include 4 additional submissions after my original post, so check them out if you missed them. Here is my ranking of my own submissions:
  • Rulebook -- An item designed specifically for the health of this pet mod, which makes it especially important.
  • Captivating Poke Puff -- An item that addresses concerns with the current OU metagame by creating interesting interactions around pivoting moves.
  • Rainbow Cloak -- An item that does a big favor to Normal types not named Blissey or Chansey -- which is much needed, as no other Normal types are currently in UU or higher.
  • Red Cape -- An item that fills a bunch of little niches that no other item has before in a way that makes battles more interactive. An ideal item for Unburden users.

With that out of the way, let's look at these other items.
Item Name: Muddle Bulb
Item Effect: On entry, the holder and opponent have all of their non-HP stats lowered by 1 stage. This item is consumed after this occurs.
Flavor: Reskinned absorb bulb
Justification: A neat way to shut down a sweep once per battle. Also enables the usage of various item stealing methods after the bulb is consumed. Most importantly, frees my man Z-Celebrate Malamar.

Item Name: Time Bomb
Item Effect: Whenever the holder is attacked, displays the message "The bomb's timer ticks down to [current amount]!). Count begins at 3, and once it reaches 0 the holder loses 12.5% of their maximum HP and the attacker loses 50% of their maximum HP. The count decrease occurs before any secondary effects of an attack. This item is consumed after this occurs.
Flavor: Time bomb goes boom
Justification: An alternative to Rocky Helmet, the Time Bomb has higher burst damage and triggers on any attack, but has the downside of being single use, lower damage ceiling, and the slight amount of self damage. Best used by something like Ferrothorn or Corviknight.

Item Name: Ballistic Vest
Item Effect: Whenever the holder is attacked, they heal 1/6th of their maximum HP before the attack connects. The holder can only select attack moves.
Flavor: Reskinned Assault Vest
Justification: An alternative to Assualt Vest that universally softens blows for the user. Carries the same heavy downside and isn't quite as potent as Assault Vest is when it comes to specifically taking special attacks.
Muddle Bulb:
I wouldn't expect this item to see use on anything other than a Contrary user, but for them it is a very good item. Currently, however, there are only 3 contrary Pokemon -- and one of them is Shuckle. I feel like there is a comparison to be made here with my Red Cape submission. Both items help set up sweepers, but Muddle Bulb focuses more strongly on setting up, while Red Cape's effect has more applications that aren't as strong.

Time Bomb:
I don't understand how this item works mechanically. What if the opponent switches out? Does the new Pokemon take the damage? What if the user switches out? Does the effect stop? Does the item remember what count down it was on the last time that the user was on the field? I need the effect to be clarified more. This item seems to require functionality that no other item has, because it seems to be changing states each turn. This item also hasn't been justified well. Why do we need this alternative to Rocky Helmet? What would choose this over rocky helmet, and what would choose rocky helmet over this?

Ballistic Vest:
One thing that immediately jumps out to me is that this is flat, consistent healing instead of damage reduction. Get hit by a move that deal less that 16% damage to you? Suddenly, you are gaining HP upon being hit. This item gives an absurd amount of tankiness to Pokemon that can't use status moves -- while we could probably use something like that, this item seems to be too much. Frankly, this seems like an almost always better version of Assault Vest, and frequently a better version of Leftovers. The nail in the coffin for me is multi-hit moves, that will be lucky to be doing practically no damage in the face of this -- realistically, they will probably be healing the user. This item needs to be justified, and then it needs to be nerfed.

Resubs yet again

Item Name: Detective Lens
Item Effect: Lets a move that would normally not affect the target actually affect it for half the damage. Single-Use.
Flavor (optional): Idk detectives are good at finding people ig

Item Name: Blood Amulet
Item Effect: This pokemon's moves deal 1.1x damage. This item cannot be tricked, knocked off or consumed in any way.
Flavor (optional): Fuck knock off and fuck trick
Detective Lens:
Previous versions of this item allowed the user to bypass an immunity once; the criticism that I leveled at the time was that it probably wouldn't have been too powerful, but it would have been annoying and probably hard to predict. This version makes it weaker, but I don't think that mitigates the problems that I had with it -- that merely makes it less likely to be used, which begs the question: why should we include this item?

Blood Amulet:
This item is justified -- it will help improve the metagame by counteracting Knock Off, which threatens to suck a lot of the charm out of Item Factory. I've always wondered if the 10% attack boost would be enough for it to see play, and I can't help but think that adding on a 10% damage reduction would help it out. I support this item, but I feel like it needs a little something extra.

Item Name: Magma Stone
Item Effect: Absorbs one Fire-type attack. Turns into "Polished Stone" after use.

Item Name: Polished Stone
Item Effect: Absorbs one Water-type attack. Turns into "Magma Stone" after use.

Justification: Variants of Absorb Bulb / Snowball that provide damage immunity in exchange for not boosting a stat. While they aren't single use, few Pokemon could actually use both sides of the item (Ground/Bug, Ground/Ice and Ground/Steel being the only combos that use both).
These items appear to not be supported by the pet mod's format -- if we vote one item in without voting in the other item, does the item work? If so, which of these items should we vote for? Before I can even ask if these items should be added, I have to ask if they can be -- and I'm pretty sure only Revenge of Depressed Gay can answer that.

Item Name: Kaleidoscope
Item Effect: Grants the first move in the holder's moveslot STAB. Affected by abilities like Adaptability.
Niche: Really good for Adaptability users like Crawdaunt and Porygon-Z (and Dragalge ig but nah)

:float stone:
Item Name: Float Stone
Old Effect: Halves the holder's weight
Item Effect: The holder is airborne, but takes double damage from entry hazards.
Niche: Good for Heatran and Magearna and other Steel-types that don't mind taking more hazard damage.
Kaleidoscope:
I really like damage-boosting items that implement a damage boost from a new angle, and Kaleidoscope is a great example of that. There are plenty of Pokemon that would love to run an item like this -- Adaptability users and setup sweepers who value coverage to name a few. Some Pokemon also get access to high-power non-STAB moves that they still like running, such as Boomburst Toxtricity, and are thus good fits for this item. I wholeheartedly approve of this item.

Float Stone:
The comparison to air balloon here is pretty obvious, and I could definitely see this item working out for Steel types that aren't neutral to Rock. I do have two gripes with it, though. Unlike Air Balloon, this item doesn't specify that the item tells the opponent that the user is airborn; there could be a lot of situations that leave the opponent wondering, "wait, what?" Also, I'm not convinced that Steel types really need the help that this item would give them. Because this item would increase the influence of Stealth Rock and Steel types, I'm not in favor of it.

To conclude, my two favorite submissions (other than my own, of course) are Kaleidoscope and Blood Amulet; Muddle Bulb is also reasonable, but the other submissions run into problems.

Last edited:
Item Name: Magma Stone
Item Effect: Absorbs one Fire-type attack. Turns into "Polished Stone" after use.

Item Name: Polished Stone
Item Effect: Absorbs one Water-type attack. Turns into "Magma Stone" after use.

Since someone has raised concerns over this item let me state clarify how items of this nature will be handled during the voting session. For voting purposes these will be counted as one item. However since the Magma Stone already exists as a key item, the name of the item has to be changed. I am open to more items that turn into other items during battle so long as they are fairly balanced.

Resubbing Joy Buzzer

Item Name: Joy Buzzer
Effect: If a foe attempts to knock-off, steal, or destroy Joy Buzzer, the foe loses 1/6 of their max HP, and is forced to switch places with a random party member after the attack. Joy Buzzer cannot be stolen, tricked, or knocked off.
Fling: 60 BP, switches the target out
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. The buzzer zaps a foe that attempts to remove it, ejecting them from battle.

Knock Off is obviously going to be huge in this mod, and any counterplay against it helps. Ideally, good Knock Off punishment should be repeatable yet able to be reasonably played around, and I think Joy Buzzer fits that mold. It racks up hazard damage and turns Knock Off from a spammable move to one that can be a momentum sink with one's cards played right, but the effect isn't huge enough to be unfair. And as a last resort, a fast Joy-Buzzer holder could even Fling it to get a free turn, although this is admittedly probably just a gimmick.

Item Name: Steady Shield
Effect: If the holder uses a protecting move, the text "{User} steadied themself!" will display. Their next attack will certainly be a critical hit.
Fling: 100 BP
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. The holder takes aim when protecting itself, and strikes back harder on the next turn.

Adds a somewhat unorthodox damage boosting item. While it frees the holder from being choice-locked, Steady Shield forces the holder to run a protecting move and makes the holder's movements more predictable. The turn used protecting can be taken advantage of to set up or switch out, which makes scoring a big hit tricky.

Item Name: Spider Ring
Effect: When attacking a foe that is afflicted with a status condition, the holder's attacks drain HP equal to 50% of the damage dealt.
Fling: 60 BP, inflicts the target with Infestation
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. The holder drains life from foes which have a special condition.

Shell Bell is a neat item in theory, but the numbers it gives just aren't big enough. Ideally, Spider Ring fills that role of "offensive healing item" that can heal lots of HP, but only helps in certain situations. Teams that use Toxic Spikes or like to spread burn and paralysis really appreciate Spider Ring to give more longevity to a bulky attacker.

Last edited:
Pardon my double posting I just came to announce that the voting phase has officially begun. Standard voting rules apply, so see the first page for information on that. Anyway you have five days to vote.

Rulebook (Self-Vote)
Red Cape (Self-Vote)
Rainbow Cloak (Self-Vote)
Blood Amulet
Kaleidoscope
Joy Buzzer
Spider Ring

Your resident essayist here. Time for some closing thoughts. I've sorted the submissions into groups, with the better items higher on the list:

Submissions Worth Voting For:
  • Rulebook - This item is tailor made to mitigate the potential pitfalls of this pet mod, while contributing to competitive play in an interesting way. As the strongest submission for improving metagame health this slate, it takes the top of my list.
  • Captivating Poke Puff - Another metagame-focused item, designed to make pivoting moves less drawback-free. Items like these are what may make competitive Item Factory more healthy than competitive OU.
  • Rainbow Cloak - The submission that does the best job at making more Pokemon viable. Currently, no Normal types that aren't Chansey or Blissey are UU or higher by usage -- this item gives Normal types the tools that they need to specialize themselves for the metagame.
  • Kaleidoscope - This has some of the best new set opportunities of any item on this slate. An interesting and welcome addition to the cast of damage-boosting items that does big favors for the likes of Porygon-Z and Boomburst Toxtricity.
  • Joy Buzzer - The best Knock Off punishment item, which immediately gives it value.
  • Red Cape - The only utility-based item submitted this slate. It also gives a boost to Unburden users.
  • Spider Ring - A better designed version of Shell Bell that may introduce some interesting status-related sets.
  • Blood Amulet - The most focused Knock Off absorption item. Arguably too weak to see play, leading it to round out the bottom of my "worth voting for" list.
Jury is still out on:
  • Muddle Bulb - An item that may or may not make Malamar viable. That's about it.
  • Steady Shield - An interesting damage-boosting item that is possibly too much. It's too early to know whether or not it is a good idea.
Not worth a spot
  • Detective Lens - It shouldn't be expected to see play or give us any value in return for including it, unlike the items in "submissions worth voting for"
  • Volcanic / Polished Ore - This either won't see play, or it will be a nerf to Fire and Water types. Do we really want either of those things? Skye's submissions always give you something cool to think about, but this is an example that doesn't justify itself.
Arguably Harmful:
  • Ballistic Vest - A new defensive item that takes the wrong approach. Would definitely see play, but would significantly harm multi-hit moves and hasn't shown how it would improve Pokemon variety or metagame health.
  • Float Stone - Nerfing Ground types, but as an item. Also results in buffing Steel types and making Stealth Rock more important. None of these things are desirable.
  • Time Bomb - Marketed as an alternative to rocky helmet, but functions too vaguely for the result of adding this item to be understood. It needs to be resubmitted with a more clear effect before it can even be discussed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)