It's Thanksgiving (Give me a reason to be thankful)

Ok today is the day before thanksgiving. My ma is going crazy with it. (As usual) She works nights and isnt getting any sleep until she does a ton of cooking. (I opted to help her) She's now done and trying to sleep. (Thought my niece isnt letting her lol) Anyway, that wasnt really part of the thread that was just rambling. My question is this. What do you usually have for Thansgiving and how crazy is your family before and during it?

I usually enjoy a medium size turkey with Oven Mac & Cheese, Squash, Stuffing, Candied yams, Boiled eggs, Broccoli & Cheese, Cranberry Sauce, 2 Pumpkin Pies, 1 Apple Pie, and an assortment of those baked breads. Many visitors that come to our thanksgiving have mentioned that my ma could run a very Successful Resturant and is actually a better cook than their families.

We do pretty much the same thing every Thanksgiving.

We go to our grandparents' house, where everyone who comes makes some sort of food to contribute. I'm not sure what we usually make though, probably yams. Everyone talks for about an hour before we pray and get our own meals. Adults usually go first, then the youngest, then the kids in the middle go last (I'm one of them). Then we talk some more and after another 45 minutes or so we have dessert (apple pie or pumpkin pie).

We're usually there almost five hours, haha.

The good thing about Thanksgiving. Is that, after Thanksgiving is Thanksgiving for about 2 more weeks. With all the Leftover food that isn't thrown away...;D

@Navy

I know right? Actually my lefties usually lasts about 5 days or so.

@Toothache

You know I actually made someone cry when I said prayed 1 thanksgiving.

I don't really think its about Slavery. I can understand it well enough sure but I think thanksgiving is about celebrating the good times of the year with your family. I'm a pretty optomistic person Just so you know.

I'm with Toothache, kinda glad we don't have it in the UK.

Saying that, my dad's friends invite us over to theirs sometimes, so I know how much he panics before hand, telling us what it is all about and making sure we don't make a fool of him.

Best part is the pumpkin pie, only time I have had pumpkin.

Kurashi likes food so much that he CAPITALIZES it. But Thanksgiving is cool because practically everyone gets to spend time with the family and enjoy some old-fashioned home cooking

I'm thankful we don't have this silly celebration of slavery in the UK.
A) It's not celebrating slavery.
B) Europeans fueled the trade of black slaves.

I really hate "thanksgiving food", so Thanksgiving actually really sucks for me- my parents don't make breakfeast since we're cooking / preparing to feast, and I hate turkey/yams/potatoes/cranberry sauce etc. So I don't eat a lot on Thanksgiving.

You can't pour a bowl of cereal for breakfast?

Also, it's not a celebration of slavery, it's a celebration of the week we got along with the natives before we committed genocide on them.

I'm thankful we don't have this silly celebration of slavery in the UK.

Wrong fight, this is the celebration of the destruction of an indigenous culture over a warm meal.

I wouldn't be exactly comfortable mentioning slavery and the U.K. in one sentence, you guys did some pretty shitty things as well.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can't pour a bowl of cereal for breakfast?

Also, it's not a celebration of slavery, it's a celebration of the week we got along with the natives before we committed genocide on them.
Hey they got a pretty good head start at killing each other too. It's just when the Europeans were warring against each other they progressed to guns as the ranged weapon of choice before they crossed the sea to where the gun was not a common invention, if it were invented at all.

Seriously, if you can't find a reason to celebrate Thanksgiving because you associate it with genocide or "the week whitey got along with the indiginous people", you're historically ignorant. Native American tribes were not the unified hippie dippie tree huggers they are portayed as. You ever heard of scalping? Yeah, it was a little thing the native warriors did to each other (and then the Europeans), it brought a whole new meaning to the words "face mask."

I don't know what drives people to be hellbent on ruining Thanksgiving of all things. It's like the atheists who try to ruin Christmas by posting up signs about how God doesn't exist and anyone who believes otherwise is wasting their time and possibly intellectually deficient.

It's a day to give thanks. Exactly what is on the label. I don't know why people have to make up so many lame high-minded excuses not to do so. Most people in America have intact families, are healthy, have a multitude of hobbies, are employed in one manner or another, and have various other positive elements in their life. If you really want to bog yourself down, try taking your hostility to the bad things in life and channel it into helping out all the churches and charitable organizations who will be sending out hot meals tomorrow.

And be thankful such people exist.

I don't know what drives people to be hellbent on ruining Thanksgiving of all things. It's like the atheists who try to ruin Christmas by posting up signs about how God doesn't exist and anyone who believes otherwise is wasting their time and possibly intellectually deficient.

It's a day to give thanks. Exactly what is on the label. I don't know why people have to make up so many lame high-minded excuses not to do so. Most people in America have intact families, are healthy, have a multitude of hobbies, are employed in one manner or another, and have various other positive elements in their life. If you really want to bog yourself down, try taking your hostility to the bad things in life and channel it into helping out all the churches and charitable organizations who will be sending out hot meals tomorrow.

Hey, I'm an atheist, and I love Christmas. It's the one time of year my entire extended family gets together, because otherwise, we're spread out all over the country. It's a time of love and sharing, even if I do leave out the God part. I don't look down on religious people, either-- I simply don't share their beliefs. I respect their right to practice them, though, so I would hope they would respect my right not to do so. And I have only the utmost respect for a lot of Christian charitable organizations. I personally do a lot of community service myself, sometimes with Christian organizations and sometimes with secular ones, simply because I enjoy helping people out. So please stop trying to generalize and paint all atheists in a bad light-- we're not all crazy :)

Back on topic, though, my family always has a big turkey with stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes, squash, and cranberries. Pumpkin pie is for dessert; my mom bakes it every year, and it's delicious ^_^. I eat everything except the things containing meat, since I'm a vegetarian.

Oh, I guess we're making cherry cream cheese pie this year. :P

I go to church and my family is generally Catholic/some other form of Christianity so I really just go along with it.

Also, the thought of vegetarians and Thanksgiving amuses me for some reason. :B

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh, Thanksgiving is always on Thursday.
You mean always on a Monday! Happy Fake Thanksgiving, America ;D

Hey they got a pretty good head start at killing each other too. It's just when the Europeans were warring against each other they progressed to guns as the ranged weapon of choice before they crossed the sea to where the gun was not a common invention, if it were invented at all.

Seriously, if you can't find a reason to celebrate Thanksgiving because you associate it with genocide or "the week whitey got along with the indiginous people", you're historically ignorant. Native American tribes were not the unified hippie dippie tree huggers they are portayed as. You ever heard of scalping? Yeah, it was a little thing the native warriors did to each other (and then the Europeans), it brought a whole new meaning to the words "face mask."

Your post would be a lot easier to agree with if you didn't try to downplay the terrible things European settlers did to aboriginal peoples by bringing up the violence we already know exists. Going "They were just as bad!" seems to be a common theme in your arguments and it's not a particularly effective one.

I do agree people should give Thanksgiving a break as it has turned into a time when families can get together and think about what they have to be happy for. Get working on removing Columbus Day instead which serves no purpose other than celebrating a lowlife slave trader.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I'm an atheist, and I love Christmas. It's the one time of year my entire extended family gets together, because otherwise, we're spread out all over the country. It's a time of love and sharing, even if I do leave out the God part. I don't look down on religious people, either-- I simply don't share their beliefs. I respect their right to practice them, though, so I would hope they would respect my right not to do so. And I have only the utmost respect for a lot of Christian charitable organizations. I personally do a lot of community service myself, sometimes with Christian organizations and sometimes with secular ones, simply because I enjoy helping people out. So please stop trying to generalize and paint all atheists in a bad light-- we're not all crazy :)
Well its nice to hear you say such actions are crazy. But I bet you anything some of the folks on this site are about to start a shitstorm of disagreement.

As far as things more relevant to the topic, it's funny that Toothache should make a comment like that when it was his people that drove settlers overseas in the first place. Of course, I'm not the type to blame anyone for their ancestors actions. People have done terrible shit throughout history and we should learn from that, but the fact that I was born in Washington State (an entire coast of indian genocide from where the first settlers landed) is a damn good enough reason not to complain about it. So liberals say I should feel guilty because I look white, even though I'm half Mexican and 100% don't identify with either. Well fuck that. Tomorrow I'm thankful because only my aunt can make good Turkey and I only see her once a year.

Whoa, calm down there Beck Knight. It was a joke in response to the silly claim of Thanksgiving being a celebration of slavery. I have nothing against Thanksgiving. It's Black Friday I have a problem with. And Flag Day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)