Let's talk Concerts

With-in the past 6 months I have attended a concert every 2 weeks, minimum. Probably averaging 1 a week or damn close (lots of local bands though). So I figured I'd make a thread where people can share their concert experiences.

As of right now, I'm in Chicago (7 hour drive. lol) attending Riot Fest. First 3 bands were Dead Sara, meh, and Neon Trees.

Dead Sara... that woman has a fucking voice. Powerful and mesmerizing. Their stage presence wasn't spectacular... except the lead. I regret not talking to her.. 4/5

Neon Trees... I thoroughly dislike the lead singer's personality. It disgusted me to be honest. Other than that... good stage presence but only have like 2 hits. 4/5
~~~~~~~~

Today, Sat 15. I got there late but I showed up to Andrew W K., followed by Gaslight Anthem, then.. I just went looking for mosh pits for a bit, Coheed and Cambria, Drop Kick Murphys, and Rise Against.

AWK... PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY. It was OK. 3/5

Gaslight... didn't know any of thier songs and couldn't get into them at all. meh/5

Coheed and Cambria... I did know thier songs. I walked away after a bit though... meh/5

Drop Kick Murphys. Irish Jig everywhere. There was a lot of the energy in the crowd and lots of moshing. 4/5

Rise Against... honestly, 5/5. Moshing to Prayer of a Refugee is just to fucking good.

I just realized that I missed August Burns Red (damn you Field Museum).
~~~~~~~~`

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to Imagine Dragons, AWOLNATION, and A Day to Remember.

This Wed; Mac Miller and Tyga.

A very incomplete list of my concert attendances;
PrettyLights and Big Gigantic:
-Dont fool yourself this is a Dance Party

Knotfest: Slipknot, Deftones, Lamb of God, MachineHead.
-Most physical mosh pits I've been in.
-Slipknot puts on damn good show but crowd was packed tight (no moshs...)

Scream it like you mean it: Attack Attack, Acacia Strain, and Oceano
-Hardcore Dancing, MoshPits

So yeah, I like them pits.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
KISS is touring this year for the first time in ever. I advise everyone to get on this now.

My life feels a little more complete now that I have seen KISS is concert. It was little more than a fantasy until they decided to make a new album.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

next week in twin cities GET PUMPED

Other than that, haven't really been to any notable concerts. Usually its just low key concerts with some obscure band that I don't overly care about, but at least I'm with friends, haha.

I'm a music major, so I've seen quite a few classical performances, most importantly the Minnesota Orchestra, which absolutely blew me away. Seeing classical music being performed in today's age with such virtuosity was inspiring; it definitely encouraged me to keep on with my musical studies. I also went out to see Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience, which was incredibly awesome. I'd never really been exposed to that kind of music, so it was a really unique performance that I'll always cherish. I've also performed with Natalie MacMaster, which was a huge honor. Finally, my grandpa is a banjo collector, so he took me out to see a bluegrass concert this summer. I'd never really heard that kind of music but man, they can tear it up~

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, I went to Bonnaroo...the largest music festival in the US. 700 acre farm, 4 days of music. The modern woodstock if you will.

Nov 29th im going to see Fun.

RADIOHEAD •RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS •PHISH •THE BEACH BOYS (BRIAN WILSON, MIKE LOVE, AL JARDINE, BRUCE JOHNSTON AND DAVID MARKS) •BON IVER THE AVETT BROTHERS •THE SHINS •FOSTER THE PEOPLE •SKRILLEX •AZIZ ANSARI •DISPATCH •RODRIGO Y GABRIELA AND C.U.B.A •FEIST •THE ROOTS •ALICE COOPER •SUPERJAM FT. ?UESTLOVE AND VERY SPECIAL GUESTS KENNY ROGERS •BLACK STAR DANZIG LEGACY – FEATURING MUSIC BY DANZIG, SAMHAIN AND DANZIG/DOYLE PERFORMING THE MISFITS •STEVEN WRIGHT THE WORD (JOHN MEDESKI, ROBERT RANDOLPH AND NORTH MISSISSIPPI ALLSTARS) •LUDACRIS •BEN FOLDS FIVE FLOGGING MOLLY •MARC MARON •PUSCIFER •MAC MILLER •BRIAN POSEHN •SANTIGOLD •CHILDISH GAMBINO REGGIE WATTS •THE TEMPER TRAP •MAJOR LAZER •WORLD CHAMPION JUDAH FRIEDLANDER •TUNE-YARDS SHARON JONES AND THE DAP-KINGS •AFROCUBISM •FLYING LOTUS •UMPHREY’S MCGEE •LITTLE DRAGON •BLIND PILOT RHYS DARBY •ST. VINCENT •CITY AND COLOUR •THE CIVIL WARS •YOUNG THE GIANT •PEDRITO MARTINEZ GROUP TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB •FUN. •GZA PERFORMING "LIQUID SWORDS" BACKED BY GRUPO FANTASMA •PUNCH BROTHERS SPECTRUM ROAD (CINDY BLACKMAN SANTANA, JACK BRUCE, JOHN MEDESKI, AND VERNON REID) •NEEDTOBREATHE FITZ & THE TANTRUMS •COLIN HAY •BAD BRAINS •YELAWOLF •DAWES •BATTLES •DANNY BROWN •THE BLACK LIPS SBTRKT •PHANTOGRAM •BIG GIGANTIC •GARFUNKEL & OATES •KENDRICK LAMAR CHARLES BRADLEY AND HIS EXTRAORDINAIRES •THE INFAMOUS STRINGDUSTERS •THE KOOKS •THE JOY FORMIDABLE THE ANTLERS •SAM BUSH BAND •KATHLEEN EDWARDS •MIMOSA •KURT VILE & THE VIOLATORS •ALABAMA SHAKES •SOJA DAS RACIST •THE DIRTY GUV'NAHS •DELTA SPIRIT •RED BARAAT •GARY CLARK JR. •PELICAN •LA-33 IVAN NEVILLE'S DUMPSTAPHUNK •LAURA MARLING •TRAMPLED BY TURTLES •MOGWAI •THE WAR ON DRUGS •BEN HOWARD GROUPLOVE •AMY SCHUMER •ALO •THE DEVIL MAKES THREE •MATT BESSER •WHITE DENIM •EMA •MICHAEL KIWANUKA DOUG BENSON •HERE WE GO MAGIC •THE CHRIS GETHARD SHOW •ELECTRIC GUEST •FRUIT BATS •KHAIRA ARBY & HER BAND PETE HOLMES •THE CAVE SINGERS •RORY SCOVEL •K-FLAY •THE LONELY FOREST •MARIACHI EL BRONX •DEBO BAND MIKE O'CONNELL •BIG FREEDIA •DALE EARNHARDT JR. JR. •THE SOUL REBELS •UNCHAINED "THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN TRIBUTE" ALI WONG •STEVEN BERNSTEIN'S MTO PLAYS SLY •SARAH JAROSZ •ORGONE •DARONDO •JANKA NABAY & THE BUBU GANG MOON TAXI •BLACK BOX REVELATION •KYLE KINANE •BODY LANGUAGE (DJ SET) •BRENTON DUVALL •DJ EQUAL •DJ XSV JARED DIETCH •PENGUIN PRISON (DJ SET) •QUICKIE MART (DJ SET) •WYLLYS •ART VS. SCIENCE •BETHESDA •BHI BHIMAN BY LIGHTNING! •CAITLIN ROSE •CHAPPO •CHUCK MEAD •CLARE AND THE REASONS •CHERUB •COSMIC SUCKERPUNCH THE DEEP DARK WOODS •FORT ATLANTIC •FLY GOLDEN EAGLE •GLOSSARY •HEY ROSETTA! •HONEY ISLAND SWAMP BAND HUDOST •JAMES WALLACE & THE NAKED LIGHT •JUKEBOX THE GHOST •KATIE HERZIG •LP •MACHINES ARE PEOPLE TOO MATT SUCICH •MARINA ORCHESTRA •MONSTRO •OBERHOFER •PALADINO •PUJOL •ROBERT ELLIS •ROBERT FRANCIS ROLLIN' IN THE HAY •RUBBLEBUCKET •SARA WATKINS
SISTER SPARROW & THE DIRTY BIRDSSISTER SPARROW & THE DIRTY BIRDS •SHAHIDAH OMAR •TAUK THE CASEY DRIESSEN SINGULARITY •THE MAIN SQUEEZE •THE STAVES •THE SILENT COMEDY •TRIXIE WHITLEY •VALIENT THORR WATER KNOT •WE ARE AUGUSTINES •WILD CUB •YUNA •BROWNOUT •NICK THUNE •ANDREA BELANGER •TINY VICTORIES

The only real big concert I've ever been to was a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert last year, would do again. Those guys are in their 50s by now, but the energy with which they keep touring is admirable.

nobody good ever comes to new zealand and if they do i find out several months later / it's sold out in seconds. although i did go to flight of the conchords (it was even in my city!) and it was amazing. not sure if that's a concert or a comedy show though...

still can't believe i missed inquisition, fuck.

I went to Reading in 2009 (Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, The Prodigy, Bloc Party) and despite the general crowd there being about 16 and having a mental age of 12, it was really enjoyable. Radiohead on the Sunday night was honestly one of the most enjoyable performances I have ever seen: if anyone gets the chance to see them live, do it.

Bestival 2011 was a bit different, much more chilled out atmosphere than Reading. Line up was absolutely massive: The Cure, Bjork, Pendulum, Magnetic Man, Public Enemy, Toots and the Maytals, Groove Armada, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, SBTRKT, Crystal Castles, Grandmaster Flash, Primal Scream, Metronomy, Fatboy Slim, and thats just the highlights from what I got to see. They have a fancy dress theme every year as well, and the whole place is just really relaxed and full of cool shit to do when your not listening to music, like a petting zoo with chameleons. I would have gone again this year but I ran out of money.

This year I went to Soundwave festival in Croatia (last year I went to Electric Elephant in the same place) and while the line up wasn't huge, it was such a great weekend of electronic music where you can dance in the sea if you want. The main headliner was De La Soul and that was excellent.

Yeah I'm a huge music fan and I go to gigs whenever I can, its just a bit irritating when I see great stuff is on at home while I'm away at university, plus getting the money to reglularly go is an issue. btw Stone, that Bonnaroo line up looks amazing.

Lucky cunts. :c I've never been to one concert my whole life. The only real chance I had to go to one was when Kelly Clarkson came to Riverband this August. I was a dumbass and decided not to order tickets. And I could have been, like, 5th row too.

Electric Zoo was pure awesome. Saw Pierce Fulton, 3lau, Krewella, Dash Berlin, Porter Robinson, EOTO, Flux Pavilion & Doctor P, Zeds Dead, Tiesto, and Skrillex (fuck popular belief, he was awesome live). I would highly recommend it to everyone.

In a month I'm going to see Pretty Lights, which I am pumped beyond belief for.

My wishlist (people I REALLY want to see but they don't come to NY for a while):
Matisyahu
Madeon
Passion Pit
Ratatat

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3462826

I really want to go to more concerts now that my musical taste is maturing, classic artists are dying, and I'm not afraid of hardcore shows any more. But I still really don't like the mainstream shows like Warped Tour and Mayhem Fest and it's proving to be more difficult to find good bands doing their own shows like the last concert I went to which was a Christian hardcore show in Pennsylvania this past summer. I went for For Today, but the other bands weren't bad and some were good, the notable ones being MyChildren MyBride and A Skylit Drive. I actually got to meet the vocalist of MCMB and I spoke with him about his views on mainstream music and the content of lyrics, it was refreshing to talk to someone who shared my views but is also relatively successful in the music industry and can make his voice heard

In my opinion, best live presence of all time goes to...

<-

Seen them 7 times now. Brilliant every time.

In October, I'm going to see Motion City Soundtrack, and then the upcoming Starting Line 10th Anniversary Tour.

I've never been to a concert before, but I'm going to a Childish Gambino concert on the 27th - he's performing at my college, so I strongly doubt it's going to be the same mosh pit kind of experience, but I'm still looking forward to it.

I've been on one concert so far, the lineup was like this:

Red Tape Parade (local band) / La Dispute / Hot Water Music.

On October 5th, I'll be seeing La Dispute again, together with Title Fight, Make Do and Mend and Into It. Over It.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I saw Arcade Fire at Hyde Park last year, and they were simply incredible. Such energy on stage. What's more they had incredible support acts; The Vaccines, Beirut and Mumford & Sons! The Vaccines were a bit lackluster because they came on at about 2pm and no-one was that bothered yet, but Beirut were very good and by the time Mumford & Sons came on everyone was mega-lively!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I saw the Smashing Pumpkins play at the Ogden (should've been Red Rocks, should've been at GOD DAMN Red Rocks) and it was facing meltingly awesome. They're coming back in October to play on Halloween night I'm not sure what venue but I pray it's Red Rocks.

Also I know I keep saying Red Rocks but everyone needs to go to a concert there sometime in their life. It is beautiful and amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)