Metagame LGPE OverUsed

Hey guys not really talking about your format here but I wish to play online battles on thid game with standard rules and I shiny hunted for my shiny mewtwo with timid nature to use it on them. Problem is: I accidentally forget the move recover on him and now he cant learn it anymore. Is there any moveset for mega mewtwo Y without recover?
You can use a heart scale to relearn move @ the Pokémon League.

If you don't want to use a heart scale, you can maybe try: Calm Mind, Psychic, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball or Psychic, Shadow Ball, Bulk Up, Brick break

You can use a heart scale to relearn move @ the Pokémon League.

If you don't want to use a heart scale, you can maybe try: Calm Mind, Psychic, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball or Psychic, Shadow Ball, Bulk Up, Brick break
Thanks!!! I will use my heart scale that is in my bag.

Alright I’ve seen about 3 different posts so far regarding Cloyster and they all have different natures.

What going to be the all around best nature for Cloyster this tier if I’m going to Shell Smash + Surf/HydroPump + Ice Beam + Tech route?

Timid? Modest? Naive? Naughty?

I believe if you’re not using ice shard or another physical move, you should probably go with modest or timid. I don’t know enough about the relevant speed tiers in the division to say whether the extra speed from timid would help outspeed relevant threats

Alright I’ve seen about 3 different posts so far regarding Cloyster and they all have different natures.

What going to be the all around best nature for Cloyster this tier if I’m going to Shell Smash + Surf/HydroPump + Ice Beam + Tech route?

Timid? Modest? Naive? Naughty?
Without timid, you lose out on outspeeding mZam and mAerodactyl. Without modest, you fail to ohko mZam, depends how you want to lose to Zam.

I've gone timid every time, simply because of its speed tier after the +2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eve
Does Careful Snorlax miss out on any key damage thresholds versus Adamant? Would appreciate relevant info on Earthquake, status Facade, Self Destruct, Ice Punch, Crunch.

Does Sassy surf deal significantly more chip to Aero/MegaAero versus Careful Ice Punch?
Ice Punch does more to Aero. Sassy does have the benefit of cleanly OHKOing Rhydon with Surf (100% is the min roll), but I don't think losing out on the tie vs opposing Snorlax and Slowbro is worth the minimal extra damage that Sassy provides, especially when Careful Surf does 88.8% min to Rhydon and that Body Slam does enough damage on the switchin (12% min) to put it in range of a Careful Surf anyway.

What are the natures that everyone's using on their Melmetal? I've seen Adamant, Careful, and even Jolly sometimes to outspeed opposing Melmetal.

I know in the OP's FAQ that it says a Let's Go UU is unlikely to happen, but I think it's totally doable and is something I'd personally like to see happen. Going off on the UU section for Let's Go OU in the Showdown Teambuilder, there's a pretty diverse cast of Pokemon to choose from that can honestly put in work, and some of them even have unique options such as Foul Play Alolan Persian, Glare Arbok, Lovely Kiss Jynx, Spore Parasect, etc.

This is by no means an official list or anything, but here's an observation I made for potentially good mons in this supposed metagame based on their roles:

Mega Evolution:

Stealth Rock users:

Paralysis users: (Glare)
(Stun Spore)
(Thunder Wave)

Sleep users: (Spore)
(Sleep Powder)
(Lovely Kiss)
(Hypnosis)

Will-o-Wisp users:

Taunt Users:

U-turn:

Foul Play:

Electric Immunities:

Psychic Checks:

Flying Checks:

Priority users: (Sucker Punch)
(Ice Shard)
(Fake Out)
(Quick Attack)

Setup sweepers: (Swords Dance)
(Calm Mind)
(Quiver Dance)

(Bulk Up)
(Nasty Plot)
(Shell Smash)
(Agility)

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I know in the OP's FAQ that it says a Let's Go UU is unlikely to happen, but I think it's totally doable and is something I'd personally like to see happen. Going off on the UU section for Let's Go OU in the Showdown Teambuilder, there's a pretty diverse cast of Pokemon to choose from that can honestly put in work, and some of them even have unique options such as Foul Play Alolan Persian, Glare Arbok, Lovely Kiss Jynx, Spore Parasect, etc.

This is by no means an official list or anything, but here's an observation I made for potentially good mons in this supposed metagame based on their roles:

Mega Evolution:

Stealth Rock users:

Paralysis users: (Glare)
(Stun Spore)
(Thunder Wave)

Sleep users: (Spore)
(Sleep Powder)
(Lovely Kiss)
(Hypnosis)

Will-o-Wisp users:

Taunt Users:

U-turn:

Foul Play:

Electric Immunities:

Psychic Checks:

Flying Checks:

Priority users: (Sucker Punch)
(Ice Shard)
(Fake Out)
(Quick Attack)

Setup sweepers: (Swords Dance)
(Calm Mind)
(Quiver Dance)

(Bulk Up)
(Nasty Plot)
(Shell Smash)
(Agility)
As a matter of fact, there is a thread for this! https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-oms-mega-thread.3612051/
As you saw, yeah, the usage stats were implemented as a UU section in the teambuilder. Ask around in the Showdown room and you're likely to find some who are willing to try some games out with you.

Nothing. Bar maybe Alolan Dugtrio.
I don't see how those two are related at all outside of a shared Steel-typing. Melmetal is slow and bulky while Alolan Dugtrio is fast and isn't bulky in the slightest. They're two completely different Pokemon. To be honest, there's no other Pokemon in the game like Melmetal. It's completely unique from the rest of the LG dex.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
who can replace Melmetal?
This is a pretty vague question. There might be things that can replace Melmetal's role on specific teams (for example Rhydon as a tank on some teams that also provides Rocks but a different typing, or Alolan Muk as an alternate bulky Psychic check), but replacing overall is a different matter entirely. As Vengeance said nothing comes close to doing everything Melmetal can. This is reflected by its usage.

If you guys ain't playing on Cart you can make a team with soft reset and stationary mons really quick. I'm 150-5 with Mewtwo btw but the metagame is different for reasons other than him. Imo look at some Cart trends that may be overlooked in Showdown matchups.

Nite and Zard? Both B imo because of Outrage. Damage is up there with Two Psychics, don't forget.

They even feel like an A/S matchup v non Steel. Melmetal is raaaaaare on Cart and Mew will be Randomly Natured & unable to live. Both probably B cos of Rocks though.

Another observation would be to watch out for Electrode. I would almost Nominate Electrode for C if it weren't for Rhydon's theoretical presense without old 'Two. Dual Screens/Taunt like Deo E, Thunderwave... Zapdos matchup? Mew matchup!? Plus he can force a Mega v Aero and maybe you save a Gyara to pop out instead. After you force the wrong Mega out of them it's Mega take all. W/ Trode's odds in there maybe at least a noteworthy D.

Also my list has no Megas in S. Mew Mel Eevee support imo
Gyara on par with Zam and the best've 'em in A. Even Normal 'Saur don't like an EQ from OG Gyara. To drop a 50 - 50 strat here sub on powders btw. Venu ain't even A without Sleep Clause you old smogoners think you need and I'm looking at Moth too... 'Saur for B.

Mostly 'cos of ..... Taunt leads tho.

I might try "OU" but I got a Zard and Aero to reset/.... and then salvage. Maybe I'll never have a Dragonite or Alakazam to reset is the actual virtual pet Alolan Muk Meta and people forget these odds.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
If you guys ain't playing on Cart you can make a team with soft reset and stationary mons really quick. I'm 150-5 with Mewtwo btw but the metagame is different for reasons other than him. Imo look at some Cart trends that may be overlooked in Showdown matchups.

Nite and Zard? Both B imo because of Outrage. Damage is up there with Two Psychics, don't forget.

They even feel like an A/S matchup v non Steel. Melmetal is raaaaaare on Cart and Mew will be Randomly Natured & unable to live. Both probably B cos of Rocks though.

Another observation would be to watch out for Electrode. I would almost Nominate Electrode for C if it weren't for Rhydon's theoretical presense without old 'Two. Dual Screens/Taunt like Deo E, Thunderwave... Zapdos matchup? Mew matchup!? Plus he can force a Mega v Aero and maybe you save a Gyara to pop out instead. After you force the wrong Mega out of them it's Mega take all. W/ Trode's odds in there maybe at least a noteworthy D.

Also my list has no Megas in S. Mew Mel Eevee support imo
Gyara on par with Zam and the best've 'em in A. Even Normal 'Saur don't like an EQ from OG Gyara. To drop a 50 - 50 strat here sub on powders btw. Venu ain't even A without Sleep Clause you old smogoners think you need and I'm looking at Moth too... 'Saur for B.

Mostly 'cos of ..... Taunt leads tho.

I might try "OU" but I got a Zard and Aero to reset/.... and then salvage. Maybe I'll never have a Dragonite or Alakazam to reset is the actual virtual pet Alolan Muk Meta and people forget these odds.
I mean keep in mind we aren't using cart for this meta. We use Pokemon Showdown, therefore Melmetal and good Mews are extremely common (in fact they are the most two used mons). I don't really understand why you want to drop the megas to A, could you elaborate on that? Also, more so on Venusaur to B?

I mean keep in mind we aren't using cart for this meta. We use Pokemon Showdown, therefore Melmetal and good Mews are extremely common (in fact they are the most two used mons). I don't really understand why you want to drop the megas to A, could you elaborate on that? Also, more so on Venusaur to B?
'Zam and Aero both lose to Mega Gyarados who is only A... early M Venusaur can block Gyarados but if you go Venusaur as Mega you lose out on crucial power and it can't switch in on Crunch before Mega.

That, Psychic spam and I think Aero and 'zam Taunt in theory keeps Venusaur from being too good and it's only a Gyarados block.

Probably still the 4th best Mega either way. If Sleep Powder and Leech Seed were more accurate it would be better but there are odds in Taunt and Substitute that diminish inaccurate move's usefulness in multiple games that really make it hard for Venu to be consistent.

Bringing more than one Mega is reeaally common on Cart btw.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
'Zam and Aero both lose to Mega Gyarados who is only A... early M Venusaur can block Gyarados but if you go Venusaur as Mega you lose out on crucial power and it can't switch in on Crunch before Mega.

That, Psychic spam and I think Aero and 'zam Taunt in theory keeps Venusaur from being too good and it's only a Gyarados block.

Probably still the 4th best Mega either way. If Sleep Powder and Leech Seed were more accurate it would be better but there are odds in Taunt and Substitute that diminish inaccurate move's usefulness in multiple games that really make it hard for Venu to be consistent.

Bringing more than one Mega is reeaally common on Cart btw.
Losing to a Pokémon that's lower on the VR is not an argument for lowering the mon. Rotom-Frost was hard walled by Chinchou, a C rank mon, in Gen 7 ZU, but that didn't make Rotom-Frost a C rank mon. In fact, part of the reason Mega Gyarados is ranked so high is because of those meta matchups that it has.
Psychic spam isn't an instant stop to Venusaur due to Sleep Powder, Taunt isn't ran on Mega Zam and is only an option on Aero.
Substitute isn't all that common. Also, accuracy isn't really a great argument unless we're talking like 70% or less.
Bringing more than one Mega is just as common on showdown.

True but I guess we need to tally how many overall good matchups Zam has vs. Gyara's. My gut instinct says Gyara has more... at least in a weighted list. I could be wrong or it could be just Cart. If 'Zam stays in S I think maybe Gyara is with him.

Both are amazing in a Mewtwo Meta if you guys ever need tech for "Uber" but I still call Mew n Mel "two of the three forbiddens"... talk about stagnant games... at least Mewtwo shakes things up but that's just my opinion. Is 20 minute time limit on showdown btw?

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
1544331317729.png
B- -> higher
Alolan Dugtrio is really cool given its combination of great Speed and ability to wall Zapdos really effectively. I find myself just defaulting to Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Toxic / Sucker Punch, as I feel this is the most consistent set, although you can probably try Rock Slide > Toxic. Soft checking (Mega) Alakazam is also great due to that bastard's prominence.

1544331416984.png
C+ -> bop
The only thing Golem has going for itself is being Golem, and while that is really amazing, it's honestly just a bad Rhydon. It does nothing better than Rhydon (other than having access to boom, which eh? I don't think it's THAT great of a positive), and thus I see no reason to ever consider it on a team.

I'm so happy this metagame is thriving. I need to hop back on after finals. It is really refreshing.

View attachment 149128B- -> higher
Alolan Dugtrio is really cool given its combination of great Speed and ability to wall Zapdos really effectively. I find myself just defaulting to Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Toxic / Sucker Punch, as I feel this is the most consistent set, although you can probably try Rock Slide > Toxic. Soft checking (Mega) Alakazam is also great due to that bastard's prominence.

View attachment 149129C+ -> bop
The only thing Golem has going for itself is being Golem, and while that is really amazing, it's honestly just a bad Rhydon. It does nothing better than Rhydon (other than having access to boom, which eh? I don't think it's THAT great of a positive), and thus I see no reason to ever consider it on a team.
Golem is AT LEAST C+ for filling Rhydon's role in a metagame where Rhydon is important. It also beats Rhydon 1-on-1. That's basically its niche. This is a metagame where niche roles can be crucial, as it's hard to fit everything on a team.

Here is a team that I built around mega gyarados, I got top 10 on the ladder with it and ended up with 23 wins and 3 losses.

https://pokepast.es/13b2987f0ae443ea

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 50
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Gyarados is a really good lead because it beats almost all stealth rock setters and it removes its rock weakness. Waterfall is for aero/rhydon/nidos and it allowes it to beat common rockers putting you in a 6-5 lead (everyone always suicide rocks). Crunch lets you hit psychics like mew/slowbro/starmie/alakazam for maximum damage. Earthquake is needed for doing about 45% to melmetal and hitting muk for more damage. Sub lets you take advantage of the status spam in this meta. Jolly is needed to outspeed venu/eevee/nidoqueen. There is no switchins to gyarados so take advantage of that.

Eevee-Starter
Ability: Run Away
Jolly Nature
- Sizzly Slide
- Sappy Seed
- Sparkly Swirl
- Protect

Eevee is the only cleric in the meta, so its basically a given on every team except HO. This set is standard and there is nothing special about it. Eevee is the primary switchin to defensive mew on this team and it helps wake up melmetal.

Nidoqueen
Ability: Poison Point
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Super Fang
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Nidoqueen was the best rocker for this team as it synergizes so well with gyarados. Nido helps hardwall zapdos and check melmetal and fighters. Earthquake + superfang guarantees to take away half hp of every mon because all ghosts are weak to eq. Ice punch does the most damage to zapdos and jolly is for outspeeding eevee and non speed nature gyarados and venusaur. You almost never want to lead nido and want to use it as a reactionary mon, be careful for uturns on zap.

Mew
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
- Dragon Tail

Mew is another mon that is needed on every team. This set is fairly standard with willo allowing it to beat muk and melmetal, dtail preventing sweepers like cm alakazam, and psychic for stab that hit everything else hard.

Melmetal
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Rest

Melmetal yet again another mon required on every team. This set is standard, double iron bash/eq hits about everything in the tier really hard and twave can punish switches and allow melmetal to flinch hax. Last slot can be rest or icepunch if you want to hit zapdos harder. Melmetal checks about everything in the tier and you should try to save it for late game when zapdos is gone.

Zapdos
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

Finally zapdos was chosen in the last slot. Sub toxic is really good as it lets it beat things like rhydon and setup a sub for free against eevee. It also has a good matchup vs other zapdos and mew. The con is it is completely walled by nidos and is worse against venusaur. Zapdos is also a nice check for melmetal which gives every team problems.
I definitely played this team a few times on my way to top 30 or so when the meta was just starting. In spite of my team thriving against this sort of build, it was a tough matchup. Very well-built.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 149129C+ -> bop
Neutral Golem outspeeds Sassy Mega Drain A-Muk (while Rhydon doesn't), which is increasing in popularity, so Golem has that going for it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)