Life is now complete (DBZ)

Personally, I would want to be most like Super Buu if I were to be any DB/DBZ/DB-GT character.

Why? Eat tons of junk food with no side effects, virtually immortal, epic looking tentacle thing on my head that can create, destroy, or just mutate things at will!!!

ah yes, DBZ...good times.

Right now some friends and I are eagerly anticipating the DVD release of Kai's final 22 episodes. Kai just finished up on Nicktoons TV and we COULD just watch the cut version, but it's just a completely different beast unedited.

Funimation, hurry please!

yea i agree it can be pretty influential i used to watch dragonballz and it made me wanna get buff so that i could become a super saiyan and here i am today just as strong as i was then

http://myanimelist.net/anime/986/Dragon_Ball_Z_Special_1:_Bardock_The_Father_of_Goku

you guys are approximately 20 years late to the party

and it sucked balls

and the new shit apparently sucks balls even in comparison to that old boring shit if you want to trust random people on the internet

Dragon Ball was fantastic, DBZ probably sucked balls but I am too scared to watch it in case it does, and every movie spin off / manga spin offs / especially recent spin offs are disasters.

KnightoftheWind, original voice acting is better than dubbed voice acting 99% of the time. Dragon Ball was much better in Japanese than English, so DBZ probably is too. I watched in English with subs on for a while just for the wildly different stories (often up to 3 minutes changed, just to avoid one reference to sexuality), but after that got old I left on the Japanese for the much more accurate everything.

I literally learned all of my life lessons watching DBZ :D

1). Never give up.
2). Power isn't everything.
3). Family is important.
4). Be merciful to your foes.
5). There is good in every evil.
6). Just because you look different, does not mean that you are.
7). Teamwork is important.

There are more, but I cannot think of them now.....

Vader it absolutely is. They already dealt with Bardock, it happened 20 years ago. While that one was PRETTY useless, this new one is totally, stupidly useless. Dragon Ball Z that is not hand drawn is just fucking wrong. Reviving characters form the dead is even more wrong than that, however. Most of the time it is a jump the shark moment, like it clearly is here.

Watching that just made me realize there are indeed some rare cases where the English dub is indeed better than the original Japanese voice acting...

CK the special you linked is indeed an old one, the one everyone else is talking about is this: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_Episode_of_Bardock

Which is a recent (2011) one-shot manga turned into an anime episode that basically (and pointlessly admittedly) retcons Bardock to surviving Frieza's attack on Planet Vegeta and sends him back in time, where he goes super saiyan and defeats Frieza's ancestor. Which pretty much establishes him as the whole source of the whole legendary super saiyan that Frieza will dread some thousand or so years later.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Watching that just made me realize there are indeed some rare cases where the English dub is indeed better than the original Japanese voice acting...

CK the special you linked is indeed an old one, the one everyone else is talking about is this: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_Episode_of_Bardock

Which is a recent (2011) one-shot manga turned into an anime episode that basically (and pointlessly admittedly) retcons Bardock to surviving Frieza's attack on Planet Vegeta and sends him back in time, where he goes super saiyan and defeats Frieza's ancestor. Which pretty much establishes him as the whole source of the whole legendary super saiyan that Frieza will dread some thousand or so years later.
^all of this, but especially the first part.

No you haven't, CK. I think the only thing you've made perfectly clear is how little you know what you're talking about. The special we're discussing and the special that you linked are two completely different things, regardless of how convinced you are that they're the same. The special you linked shows how Bardock discovered Frieza's plot to blow up planet Vegeta, and him getting "obliterated" by Frieza's blast. The one that this thread focuses on shows that Bardock was never obliterated by the blast, but instead sent back to the past. In this special, we find out the Legendary Super Saiyan was actually Bardock.

These specials are completely different. They reveal completely different things. I have no idea how you are saying they're the same thing, as if you actually knew what they were. You'd have been able to figure that out if you'd read plot synopses, let alone if you had watched the special, neither of which I'm sure you bothered to do.

If you had even bothered to watch the specials, then you would find that most of them are actually really enjoyable, like this one. If you had bothered to even WATCH THE SERIES, then you would know that your uninformed and rather aggressive opinions of it are absolute crap. You're too scared to watch one of the most defining anime series of all time? In case it's crap?

Furthermore, KotW and his posted image are absolutely spot on. The Japanese voice acting is legitimately shit when compared to its dub. Contrary to popular belief, exceptions to the standard "JAPANESE WITH SUBS ARE ALWAYS BETTER" actually exist, such as in DBZ or Yu Yu Hakusho. Which you would have known if you had watched the series.

Likewise, you should also know that this special does not in fact revive a character from the dead. It's the reason it's a special. While I don't necessarily agree that this special was necessary, it was only reviving up old plot points and trying to explain their origins. It's pretty good actually, and I honestly really like how that turned out.

But I have an idea. How about you watch Dragon Ball Z before generalizing it. You would find out that Dragon Ball Z is definitely an exception to most anime. It's amazing.

So before we decide to make broad generalizations about a show we've never watched...let's fucking watch it, shall we? That way you sound like less of an ass!

I made it extremely clear. One special is about Goku's dad. One special is about his dad magically not dying and a bunch of other bullshit that comes from that.

No, the Japanese voice acting is spectacular. It might make less sense with people going from children to adults, but kid Goku, Krillin, and Bulma were all extremely enjoyable because of Japanese voice acting. Compare that to adult Krillin in the English DBZ - you want to kill yourself listening to him!

I will pass on ever watching DBZ again. There are some things I choose not to rewatch since they probably blow. Considering the DB manga is great versus DBZ manga is a little below average I would rather not watch DBZ, it is probably a little below average and extreme flaws in the work cropped up.

I dunno. I guess it's 'cause I come from the generation where DBZ was first coming to the States and while the English acting wasn't necessarily bad(they REALLY "cleaned up" the show for American audiences), the original Japanese versions were just more epic as a whole and the voice acting is VERY good. The English versions have always been "eh" to me, but it especially got bad when Toonami brought the series back after Funimation's abrupt ending when Goku first arrived on Namek to fight the Ginyu Force. The English voice acting was TERRIBLE. It took some time, but it got better, but to me nothing beats the good ole original.

Except Frieza. I dunno who they picked in Japan to voice him, but that dude sounds ANNOYING when he fights. Nearly unbearable -.-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)