(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

12.5% female gender ratios is one of those things that made sense at the time - preventing the player from easily getting more of a rare Pokémon - but over time has just become more and more pointless, especially as they specifically make other breeding things easier including how easy it is to obtain Ditto.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
12.5% female gender ratios is one of those things that made sense at the time - preventing the player from easily getting more of a rare Pokémon - but over time has just become more and more pointless, especially as they specifically make other breeding things easier including how easy it is to obtain Ditto.
That said I think we should keep the 1:3 ratios as there are Pokemon who's design or lore leans toward one gender over the other.

The only reason to keep the gender ratios if maybe they have the 1:7 and 1:3 Pokemon a boon in some way while breeding. Some ideas:
  • Lay eggs faster & hatch earlier? Though this doesn't take gender into account unless they make it so like female leaning species breed lay eggs faster while male leaning species hatch earlier. Though really not the most significant addition they could do.
  • They'll inherit more highest IV stat from the parent their gender lean towards. Examples: Caterpie (1:1) is random from which parent as always; Makuhita (1f:3m) will definitely inherit one of the father's highest IV, Snubbull (1m:3f) will definitely inherit one of the mother's highest IV, Turtwig (1f:7m) will definitely inherit two of the father's highest IVs, Litleo (1m:7f) will definitely inherit two of the mother's highest IV, Rufflet (male only) will definitely inherit three of the father's highest IVs, & Bounsweet (female only) will definitely inherit three of the mother's highest IVs. Now for normal breeding this means the gender only species get all their inherited IVs from the same gender parent, though with the Destiny Bond those 2 extra inherited IVs it gives could be from either parent. Eitherway this one probably has the most use (if we're not getting rid of IVs) as it does provide at least a bit more inherited IVs control.
  • The more a Pokemon leans toward a certain gender the more likely the child will have the Nature, Ability, and Poke Ball of the same gender parent (each rolled individually).
Originally I was thinking maybe actually allowing the baby to be the species of the father, but that would be adding randomness rather then control and how it would work got complicated. Instead I think they should maybe add in mechanic to the Nursery whereas you can "set up" the room your two breeding Pokemon stay in and what you do effects the outcome of the Egg, one which could make it so the Egg hatches into a member of the male species. And if this sounds too broken they can charge for each additional accommodation, which in turn gives money some more purpose post game. Or, for the purposes of breeding, they could let each parent hold onto more than one item and thus either release an item which makes the child hatch into the species of the parent holding it or change an existing item's effect to doing that (the Life Orb sounds like a good candidate).

That said I think we should keep the 1:3 ratios as there are Pokemon who's design or lore leans toward one gender over the other.

The only reason to keep the gender ratios if maybe they have the 1:7 and 1:3 Pokemon a boon in some way while breeding. Some ideas:
  • Lay eggs faster & hatch earlier? Though this doesn't take gender into account unless they make it so like female leaning species breed lay eggs faster while male leaning species hatch earlier. Though really not the most significant addition they could do.
  • They'll inherit more highest IV stat from the parent their gender lean towards. Examples: Caterpie (1:1) is random from which parent as always; Makuhita (1f:3m) will definitely inherit one of the father's highest IV, Snubbull (1m:3f) will definitely inherit one of the mother's highest IV, Turtwig (1f:7m) will definitely inherit two of the father's highest IVs, Litleo (1m:7f) will definitely inherit two of the mother's highest IV, Rufflet (male only) will definitely inherit three of the father's highest IVs, & Bounsweet (female only) will definitely inherit three of the mother's highest IVs. Now for normal breeding this means the gender only species get all their inherited IVs from the same gender parent, though with the Destiny Bond those 2 extra inherited IVs it gives could be from either parent. Eitherway this one probably has the most use (if we're not getting rid of IVs) as it does provide at least a bit more inherited IVs control.
  • The more a Pokemon leans toward a certain gender the more likely the child will have the Nature, Ability, and Poke Ball of the same gender parent (each rolled individually).
Originally I was thinking maybe actually allowing the baby to be the species of the father, but that would be adding randomness rather then control and how it would work got complicated. Instead I think they should maybe add in mechanic to the Nursery whereas you can "set up" the room your two breeding Pokemon stay in and what you do effects the outcome of the Egg, one which could make it so the Egg hatches into a member of the male species. And if this sounds too broken they can charge for each additional accommodation, which in turn gives money some more purpose post game. Or, for the purposes of breeding, they could let each parent hold onto more than one item and thus either release an item which makes the child hatch into the species of the parent holding it or change an existing item's effect to doing that (the Life Orb sounds like a good candidate).
Oh there's certain Pokémon it makes sense for, yes. I was referring to the Starters, Fossils, Snorlax and Eevee.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
You're likely correct that it was a logistical feature added for this reason, but at the same time I can't help but notice that all the Pokémon with 12.5% gender ratios have very credible reasons to have them, speaking biologically.

Have you ever wondered why starters are rare? Why they're never found in the wild (until SwSh) and most of the time you receive them from scientists and researchers? What if, beyond studying Pokémon, regional professors are taking endangered species and trying to conserve their population? Oftentimes as a real-life species becomes closer and closer to extinction a gender imbalance does form, and usually it's the males outliving the females because the males have more survival instinct for themselves whereas the mothers die trying to protect their young, or are poached because they won't abandon their young. Obviously it's not confirmed, but I think it could be a credible theory to think that starters are endangered, hence the rarity of them, and the gender ratios. I would like to include Zorua, Togepi, Riolu and Eevee in this category as only recently have they been encounterable in the wild (and to my recollection Togepi and Eevee never have been), so I think there was a similar design philosophy on all 4 of those Pokémon when introduced.

This is mirrored by the other type of Pokémon with such a gender imbalance: fossil Pokémon. The last surviving members of the species were predominantly male before they went extinct, and so those are the fossils that are still in good enough condition for the player to be able to revive them.

The third category is Pokémon whose societies depend upon the gender imbalance and have likely evolved to be that way, and this is mirrored in real life. Combee is probably the greatest example as in real life it is true that male bees are resigned to a life of labour for the queen, and that queen bees obviously emerge quite rarely. It appears a similar hierarchy occurs in Salandit herds. Litleo is the outlier here, and I'm not sure of a specific justification for it as both genders of Litleo can evolve, but I imagine it's something along the same route.

It's just a theory, but I think there is a good amount of flavour to be gleaned from the really unbalanced gender ratios. Personally I don't mind them -- they're far less of a problem pragmatically than having single-sex Pokémon, and I would be moreso in favour of single-sex Pokémon being changed into a 12.5% gender ratio than I would be for getting rid of said gender ratio.

You know what really bothers me? Poison has yet to receive a single legendary/mythical Pokemon, while Fairy, which only has been around for 2 gens, gets 8 legendary/mythical Pokemon. I don't see any reasons why Poison can't have Legendary Pokemon; there are a lot of interesting choicess for designs like Frog and Snakes and insects to name a few. So why GF doesn't create a Poison type legenday is baffling to me and annoying when there is no good excuse.

On a similar note, am I the only who is bothered by the fact that Xerneas isn't a Fairy/Grass? I mean its dormant form is a tree. and has the power to create beautiful forests. Doesn't that scream grass type? Not to mention that its supposed to keep balance with Yveltal, and that Grass typing would indeed keep it balanced.

Bomb Voyage

Banned deucer.
Yeah, at this point they should just get rid of the 1:7 gender ratio and have it either be 1:1, 1:3, or it's a gender exclusive species. How I would suggest moving the 1:7 Pokemon around:

1f:3m: Combee, Tepig family, Oshawott family, Chespin family, Tyrunt family, Litten family, Salandit
1f:1m: Bulbasaur family, Charmander family, Blastoise family, Eevee family, Omanyte family, Kabuto family, Aerodactyl, Snorlax family, Cyndaquil family, Totodile family, Treecko family, Blaziken family, Swampert family, Lileep family, Anorith family, Relicanth, Turtwig family, Chimchar family, Piplup family, Cranidos family, Shieldon family, Riolu family, Snivy family, Pansage family, Pansear family, Tirtouga family, Archen family, Zorua family, Froakie family, Rowlet family,
3f:1m: Chikorita family, Togepi family, Panpour family, Fennekin family, Amaura family, Popplio family, Litleo family

Are you sure it's a Legendary that isn't Shiny locked?
Nah roaming legendaries like Entei/Raikou grind my gears

You know what really bothers me? Poison has yet to receive a single legendary/mythical Pokemon, while Fairy, which only has been around for 2 gens, gets 8 legendary/mythical Pokemon. I don't see any reasons why Poison can't have Legendary Pokemon; there are a lot of interesting choicess for designs like Frog and Snakes and insects to name a few. So why GF doesn't create a Poison type legenday is baffling to me and annoying when there is no good excuse.
Do Ultra Beasts not count as legendaries?

On a similar note, am I the only who is bothered by the fact that Xerneas isn't a Fairy/Grass? I mean its dormant form is a tree. and has the power to create beautiful forests. Doesn't that scream grass type? Not to mention that its supposed to keep balance with Yveltal, and that Grass typing would indeed keep it balanced.
Yeah, the fact that Xerneas kinda cucks Yveltal is a bit irritating. If Xerneas were part Grass, Yveltal could fire back with super effective Oblivion Wings. Speaking of which, I've always been annoyed that Yveltal's signature move isn't boosted by its signature ability. I guess the same could be said about Geomancy, but still.

its dormant form is a tree
Speaking of which, you reminded me of the most useless Pokemon form in existence: Xerneas's Neutral Mode. Why the hell did they make separate textures for Xerneas for when it's battling or not? The idea of having a Pokemon look different in and out of battle is a cool one, but why ONLY Xerneas? Xerneas was introduced in the same generation that gave us Honedge and Doublade. Why not have them appear sheathed outside of battle? Off the top of my head, some other possibilities for past Pokemon include:
  • Snorlax sleeping outside of battle and standing up in battle
  • Gallade extending its arm blades when in battle
  • Typhlosion having its fires flare up when in battle (this can apply to pretty much any Fire type with visible fire)
  • Have some Pokemon that fly in battle like Pidgeot and Skarmory be standing outside of battle

I want Ditto to be able to breed with itself. I understand why GF does it(don’t want to make any part of IV breeding anything but a chore), but I’ve wanted to try bringing a team of Imposter Dittos through a game, and the fact that you can’t get Ditto below about lvl 30 makes that impossible.
Well if you really wanted to, you could get Ditto as low as level 10 in a game:

Limber Ditto at level 10 can be captured at Route 35 in HGSS

Imposter Ditto at level 10 can be captured at Route 35 in GSC (after being transferred to gen 7)

Sure it requires trading transfering, but if you really wanted a low-level Ditto, there's an option at least. (for whatever that's worth)

Last edited:
Well if you really wanted to, you could get Ditto as low as level 10 in a game:

Limber Ditto at level 10 can be captured at Route 35 in HGSS

Imposter Ditto at level 10 can be captured at Route 35 in GSC (after being transferred to gen 7)

Sure it requires trading transfering, but if you really wanted a low-level Ditto, there's an option at least. (for whatever that's worth)
I forgot that transfers get their HA. Huh. I’m in the middle of a Dragon-only run of X, but after that, I might actually get to do this. Thanks for telling me.

Why the hell did they make separate textures for Xerneas for when it's battling or not? The idea of having a Pokemon look different in and out of battle is a cool one, but why ONLY Xerneas?
Both the Kyurem forms exhibit this trait as well:

Outside of battle, their lines are retracted; but, during the battle, their lines are connected to the tail. This trait has persevered even throughout their conception, even in Gen V, where Kyurem's static sprite (easily seen via the PokéDex) show its connectors retracted.

There was another Pokémon that exhibited this trait as well yet is for some reason eluding me. As for the Kyurems, theoretically speaking, the lines would only be connected when unleashing either of their respective Fusion attacks or Freeze Shock/Ice Burn.

Yeah, the fact that Xerneas kinda cucks Yveltal is a bit irritating. If Xerneas were part Grass, Yveltal could fire back with super effective Oblivion Wings. Speaking of which, I've always been annoyed that Yveltal's signature move isn't boosted by its signature ability. I guess the same could be said about Geomancy, but still.

Speaking of which, you reminded me of the most useless Pokemon form in existence: Xerneas's Neutral Mode. Why the hell did they make separate textures for Xerneas for when it's battling or not? The idea of having a Pokemon look different in and out of battle is a cool one, but why ONLY Xerneas? Xerneas was introduced in the same generation that gave us Honedge and Doublade. Why not have them appear sheathed outside of battle? Off the top of my head, some other possibilities for past Pokemon include:
  • Typhlosion having its fires flare up when in battle (this can apply to pretty much any Fire type with visible fire)
  • Have some Pokemon that fly in battle like Pidgeot and Skarmory be standing outside of battle
The Pokémon Company doesn’t consider them Legendary Pokémon, so technically, no. That being said, The game’s coding places them under the same category as Legendary/Mythical Pokémon, so it’s inconsistent.

Solgaleo and Lunala only change forms when using their signature move(s), and Marshadow only changes forms when using any attack.
this reminds me that I used to tilt pretty hard when one of their main advertising point for new pokemon (like, for Marshadow) was that they "assumed a different pose using their Z-move!".

I was like... uuuh well yeah, they're attacking and not standing still, how is that impressive?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Probably because it's the poster Pokemon for Fairy-type Legendaries thus kept it pure Fairy. It's tree aspects is pretty much an afterthought to give it a form when inactive or giving it a few special Grass-type attacks like Horn Leech. However they didn't want to give it any of the Grass-type weaknesses (especially quad weak to Poison) so left it as is.

As Leader Wallace said, they're kind of considered their own thing which I think may be for the best. They're maybe as rare as a Legendary but the design philosophy is completely different. A Legendary usually represents a grand force or concept, most often then being designed to be natural looking creatures (with the few exceptions to the manmade Legendaries though they too seem to tap into some kind of grander force of concept that allowed their existence).

However Ultra Beasts are essentially aliens, they're not from out world (or rather universe) and they're biology and design was made to help them survive in their home world. Nihilego isn't the manifested representation of a parasite, it is a parasite who are physically fragile so take over other creatures minds to make them protect them. Buzzwole isn't the manifested representation of a masculinity, it's a bug who lives in a jungle world filled with strong trees and constantly erupting volcanoes so uses the vitality drained from prey to give it huge muscles to remove and withstand obstructions in its way. And so on and so forth. This also allows the artists to be a bit more crazy with their designs, GF saying they intentionally broke design rules they set themselves for Pokemon for creating the Ultra Beasts (like normally they wouldn't make a jellyfish Pokemon that looked like it was made of amorphous glass).

Speaking of which, I've always been annoyed that Yveltal's signature move isn't boosted by its signature ability. I guess the same could be said about Geomancy, but still.
An overlook in their design... OR an intentional detail so that their special technique can't be affected by Zygarde reversing their Ability?

Actually Pokemon-Amie/Refresh has the ideas you suggested: Honedge & Doublade are sheathed, Snorlax is asleep, few Fire-types have their flames off, and many Flying-types are standing. Xerneas also appears in its out of battle form in Amie/Refresh. Though sometimes it makes me wish they let us change between certain forms (like Mega Evos) or other Pokemon got special forms: Burmy without its coat, Vanillite family without their snow head coverings, maybe have Ditto/Zorua family/Latias play a trick by changing its appearance to look like the player (don't worry, they immediately change back once poked; they just wanted to have a laugh).

I want Ditto to be able to breed with itself.
Wouldn't that just make one bigger Ditto? or a Grimer. NEW THEORY: Grimer are just two Ditto who tried to breed with one another. (obviously I'm joking)

Solgaleo and Lunala only change forms when using their signature move(s), and Marshadow only changes forms when using any attack.
Solgaleo and Lunala also remain in their powered-up forms after Necrozma fuses with them so at least they have a purpose there.

Probably because it's the poster Pokemon for Fairy-type Legendaries thus kept it pure Fairy. It's tree aspects is pretty much an afterthought to give it a form when inactive or giving it a few special Grass-type attacks like Horn Leech. However they didn't want to give it any of the Grass-type weaknesses (especially quad weak to Poison) so left it as is.

As Leader Wallace said, they're kind of considered their own thing which I think may be for the best. They're maybe as rare as a Legendary but the design philosophy is completely different. A Legendary usually represents a grand force or concept, most often then being designed to be natural looking creatures (with the few exceptions to the manmade Legendaries though they too seem to tap into some kind of grander force of concept that allowed their existence).

However Ultra Beasts are essentially aliens, they're not from out world (or rather universe) and they're biology and design was made to help them survive in their home world. Nihilego isn't the manifested representation of a parasite, it is a parasite who are physically fragile so take over other creatures minds to make them protect them. Buzzwole isn't the manifested representation of a masculinity, it's a bug who lives in a jungle world filled with strong trees and constantly erupting volcanoes so uses the vitality drained from prey to give it huge muscles to remove and withstand obstructions in its way. And so on and so forth. This also allows the artists to be a bit more crazy with their designs, GF saying they intentionally broke design rules they set themselves for Pokemon for creating the Ultra Beasts (like normally they wouldn't make a jellyfish Pokemon that looked like it was made of amorphous glass).

An overlook in their design... OR an intentional detail so that their special technique can't be affected by Zygarde reversing their Ability?

Actually Pokemon-Amie/Refresh has the ideas you suggested: Honedge & Doublade are sheathed, Snorlax is asleep, few Fire-types have their flames off, and many Flying-types are standing. Xerneas also appears in its out of battle form in Amie/Refresh. Though sometimes it makes me wish they let us change between certain forms (like Mega Evos) or other Pokemon got special forms: Burmy without its coat, Vanillite family without their snow head coverings, maybe have Ditto/Zorua family/Latias play a trick by changing its appearance to look like the player (don't worry, they immediately change back once poked; they just wanted to have a laugh).

Wouldn't that just make one bigger Ditto? or a Grimer. NEW THEORY: Grimer are just two Ditto who tried to breed with one another. (obviously I'm joking)

Solgaleo and Lunala also remain in their powered-up forms after Necrozma fuses with them so at least they have a purpose there.
Not really. Their "powered up" forms aren't used with Necrozma's Dusk Mane or Dawn Wings forms. (though they are used for the Ultra Warp Ride thing in US/UM)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not really. Their "powered up" forms aren't used with Necrozma's Dusk Mane or Dawn Wings forms. (though they are used for the Ultra Warp Ride thing in US/UM)
Yes they are. Well, at least for Solgaleo:

Normal | Powered-Up | Necrozma Form

For Lunala it takes a similar form but Lunala's body is still glowing.

But you are right that during the Ultra Space Ride they are also in their powered-up form.

Of course. How could I forget about Aura Break? That ability is so good already. It would have been OP if they had done that.

/s
Didn't say in practice made much sense, but on paper sounds like a good reason.

Let's also remember GF thought a good enforcer for a Fairy-type and Flying-type was a Dragon/Ground-type.

Yes they are. Well, at least for Solgaleo:

Normal | Powered-Up | Necrozma Form

For Lunala it takes a similar form but Lunala's body is still glowing.

But you are right that during the Ultra Space Ride they are also in their powered-up form.

Didn't say in practice made much sense, but on paper sounds like a good reason.

Let's also remember GF thought a good enforcer for a Fairy-type and Flying-type was a Dragon/Ground-type.
It's similar to Solgaleo in that it's glowy, but Dusk Mane Necrozma is more of a dimmed, yellow-orange all over as opposed to the shining white and yellow of Solgaleo's "radiant sun phase".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's similar to Solgaleo in that it's glowy, but Dusk Mane Necrozma is more of a dimmed, yellow-orange all over as opposed to the shining white and yellow of Solgaleo's "radiant sun phase".
Really now? Come on.

Look, let's meet half way. Even if they aren't their proper powered-up form, can it at least be agreed upon that Necrozma has forced them into some kind of powered-up state when it fuses with them to feed on their light? Because you can't tell me Solgaleo's and Lunala's body doesn't go through a change that makes their colors saturated and glowy.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Nono, the fact that it's more of a dimmed, yellow-orange is why Necrozma must be using Solgaleo's powered-up form. Necrozma has a lot of connection with light, having moves like prismatic laser. So do Solgaleo and Lunala, representing the sun and moon respectively, which light the world. When corrupted by Necrozma, the light of Solgaleo and Lunala is dimmed in colour and intensity due to its influence, as we see in the third images Pikachu315111 posted. Solgaleo and Lunala are only lit in their powered up forms, at least all over their bodies like they are in their Necrozma forms. Therefore, in order for the light of their bodies to be dimmed, they must be outputting light -- meaning they're in their powered up forms.

Really now? Come on.

Look, let's meet half way. Even if they aren't their proper powered-up form, can it at least be agreed upon that Necrozma has forced them into some kind of powered-up state when it fuses with them to feed on their light? Because you can't tell me Solgaleo's and Lunala's body doesn't go through a change that makes their colors saturated and glowy.
I'm not saying that isn't the case. Necrozma's clearly forcing Solgaleo and Lunala to "energize" while fused to them, though it doesn't seem to be their respective full splendor.

Or maybe it is, and it just appears dim through the filter of Necrozma's prism armor? Regardless, this appears to be a discussion for the mysteries and conspiracies thread than the thread for speaking our little gripes with this beloved franchise.

Not nessecary something in the game but in terms of lore what bothers me that is probably petty is that Hydreigon isn't based on a 3-Headed Dragon but designed around the concept of a Yamata no Orichi which is a 8-Headed Serpent Dragon which you can still see if you look at Hydreigon's solhoullete. That itself would be fine but apparently Hydreigon doesn't even have 3-heads... it has only 1 head. According to Ken Sugimori in an interview in the Nintendo Dream Magazine Volume 205 those other "heads" are his hands.
That bothers me so much because the pairing of Hydreigon and Volcarona were a nice set of Kaiju-Type Pokemon for the games, but now I can't look at him as I used to.

I hate the fences in Hau´oli city. Not only are they annoyingly wet from paint when you first arrive in Hau´oli, JUST to force you through some pointless cutscenes with Lillie, some random people talking about team skull and Hau and his malasada addiction, they also make the screen go black if you want to use them, as if you transitioned into an entirely different area. I guess GF can´t be bothered to create even the simplest of ´fence-opening' animation.

It's really obvious that the fences being wet is just an excuse to force you through the cutscenes, because they are conveniently dry all of the sudden after you beat Ilima. That's just lazy design.

I hate the fences in Hau´oli city. Not only are they annoyingly wet from paint when you first arrive in Hau´oli, JUST to force you through some pointless cutscenes with Lillie, some random people talking about team skull and Hau and his malasada addiction, they also make the screen go black if you want to use them, as if you transitioned into an entirely different area. I guess GF can´t be bothered to create even the simplest of ´fence-opening' animation.

It's really obvious that the fences being wet is just an excuse to force you through the cutscenes, because they are conveniently dry all of the sudden after you beat Ilima. That's just lazy design.
I actually forgot they existed untill you brought them up. Which creates another point: they have no relevance to the story and as a result, they are able to be considered forgetable. Someone could play that game and not even notice that the fence gates exist...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 13)