(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Here's something that annoys me

Suicune

its a ridiculously overly complicated, completely baseless design (it is not a qilin, it doesn't even have any horns!) has served as the inspiration for completely dread legendary designs ever since it appeared, it ruined even mega evolution designs indirectly since the unofficial template for them is "what if this pokemon was a legendary"

they all have those random junk put on top on their designs confusing the basic concept and making it look garish as well

screw Suicune and its basic design philosophy

Last edited:
I tried looking into it a little bit, but this seems to have the most info, even though they don't source their information.

デザインを担当した漫画家の斉藤むねお氏によると、エンテイ=ライオン、スイクン=豹、ライコウ=虎のように見え、デザインの道筋的には「各属性のエレメントを背負った精霊・もしくは神様」を目指したとのこと。
According to Saito Muneo, the artist who designed Entei, Suicune, and Raikou, they are meant to look like a lion, a leopard, and a tiger respectively. He designed them to closely resemble spirits, or even gods, of their typings.

(つまり三犬ではなく三猫と呼ぶのがモチーフ的には正しいことになる)
In other words, it would be more accurate to call them felines rather than dogs.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I tried looking into it a little bit, but this seems to have the most info, even though they don't source their information.

According to Saito Muneo, the artist who designed Entei, Suicune, and Raikou, they are meant to look like a lion, a leopard, and a tiger respectively. He designed them to closely resemble spirits, or even gods, of their typings.

In other words, it would be more accurate to call them felines rather than dogs.
So from what it sounds like they started out with body shapes of a lion, a leopard, and a tiger but additional details were then added to make them look like mythical creatures of their Type. So here's the question: did any of these additional details come from canines? Did the artist simply accentuate details of the big jungle cats he started with till they looked like elemental beasts, or did he indeed borrow other parts of animals. If the former then fair game, won't change opinions as the transformations done have given them accidental canine traits, but the artist's intent is something to be considered. However if the latter is true then it would mean there's justification for those who see dogs in them.

Though something else I remembered about the beasts, they're space world beta sprites:

These are definitely canine in appearance, so how do these factor in? Were these originally meant to be the Legendary Beasts but, since they don't look that imposing, more fiercer designs were made based in jungle cats? Or were there several designs for the Legendary Beasts and these were just the first ones done, later the jungle cats ones were finalized and picked instead.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's something that annoys me

Suicune

its a ridiculously overly complicated, completely baseless design (it is not a qilin, it doesn't even have any horns!) has served as the inspiration for completely dread legendary designs ever since it appeared, it ruined even mega evolution designs indirectly since the unofficial template for them is "what if this pokemon was a legendary2

they all have those random junk put on top on their designs confusing the basic concept and making it look garish as well

screw Suicune and its basic design philosophy
I'm also somewhat perplexed by its inconsistency when it comes to wind:

Its mane blows out behind it, as if it was facing the wind. Its tail ribbons blow out in front of it, as if it had its back to the wind.

All we need now is a game where you can ride a Suicune while carrying a flag that blows out to the side, and the confusion would be total.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm also somewhat perplexed by its inconsistency when it comes to wind:

Its mane blows out behind it, as if it was facing the wind. Its tail ribbons blow out in front of it, as if it had its back to the wind.

All we need now is a game where you can ride a Suicune while carrying a flag that blows out to the side, and the confusion would be total.
Maybe it's blowing the wind from its back and then redirecting it through its ribbons.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Raikou, Entei, and Suicune were referred to as the "crown beasts", though I can't remember where. It does kind of make sense as their names have royal titles built in IIRC. Could be wrong on that, and that might not even be what Game Freak calls the trio.

... come to think of it, how many legendary Pokemon groups do we know the official names of?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I could have sworn I read somewhere that Raikou, Entei, and Suicune were referred to as the "crown beasts", though I can't remember where. It does kind of make sense as their names have royal titles built in IIRC. Could be wrong on that, and that might not even be what Game Freak calls the trio.
Willing to bet that name's specifically from M13, the one with the shiny beast trio of Crown City.

Two random things I was thinking about Gen 1:

-Other than Raichu and Jolteon, every single Electric type is locked in the Power Plant. And Electric types are very useful with all the Water and Flying types around. Meaning you're stuck with either a rare encounter or forfeiting the use of Vaporeon another Eeveelution. Magnemite could've been in Route 11, but nooooo....

-Water Gun TM. If you're going to have this, at least put it BEFORE Brock so Rattata/Nidoran can cheap him out. Afterwards? Worthless.

I disliked how small the gen 7 sprites are. Like, look at Groudon compared to Maxie. Even Rowlet is upset.
Image result for rowlet vs groudon meme
Well, this one can be justified. The 3DS has low resolution and a tiny screen. Put a properly-sized Groudon next to a properly-sized Rowlet on a 3DS screen, and you'd struggle to see Rowlet. I'd have scaled down the larger Pokémon for these situations as well.

(Now, if it stays this way in Sword and Shield, it would be annoying)

I have some bad news....

(And after Let's Go scaled them properly too...)
Well at least their scaling in the overworld and raid battles looks correct.... it's not everything, but it's something.

To be fair we haven't actually seen any in-game battle of different sized pokemon outside of a raid battle and dinamax, so there's still hope proportions are somewhat respected.

If anyone is keeping up on the Pokemon Anime, did you see the league fight of Ash vs. Hau? Because it was bad, soooooooo bad.

I know the anime has taken a different direction in Sun and Moon but this was some early season 1 Anime level shenanigans going on. Total Pikachu triggering the sprinkler system to fight Brock's Onix. Spoilers in the hide tags.

So it's Rowlet vs. Decidueye because despite a perfectly good Torracat, Rowlet really wants to fight and of course Ash forgoes strategy in favor of personal desires because that's Ash. So how do they win?

Well, Rowlet shows up to the fight in a decidueye costume, which despite looking cute also serves a second purpose as it absorbs Hau's Spirit Shackle Z-move meaning Hau's strongest attack is wasted on an outfit. Which should be some blatant cheating but the ref just takes it away after it falls off and lets the match continue.

The match continues and they do the "both sides collapse after hitting each other with an attack" thing and little Rowlet is the first to fall and Ash is declared the loser. Except not because then it's revealed that Rowlet simply fell asleep and Ash is allowed to wake him up for the fight to continue. Rowlet pulls out a new move and defeats Hau's Decidueye through the power of friendship, determination, and COMPLETE AND BLATANT CHEATING! Seriously, I don't expect the anime to obey the game too tightly anymore, but who proofread this and thought this sends a good "work hard" message?!

Last edited:
If anyone is keeping up on the Pokemon Anime, did you see the league fight of Ash vs. Hau? Because it was bad, soooooooo bad.

I know the anime has taken a different direction in Sun and Moon but this was some early season 1 Anime level shenanigans going on. Total Pikachu triggering the sprinkler system to fight Brock's Onix. Spoilers in the hide tags.

So it's Rowlet vs. Decidueye because despite a perfectly good Torracat, Rowlet really wants to fight and of course Ash forgoes strategy in favor of personal desires because that's Ash. So how do they win?

Well, Rowlet shows up to the fight in a decidueye costume, which despite looking cute also serves a second purpose as it absorbs Hau's Spirit Shackle Z-move meaning Hau's strongest attack is wasted on an outfit. Which should be some blatant cheating but the ref just takes it away after it falls off and lets the match continue.

The match continues and they do the "both sides collapse after hitting each other with an attack" thing and little Rowlet is the first to fall and Ash is declared the loser. Except not because then it's revealed that Rowlet simply fell asleep and Ash is allowed to wake him up for the fight to continue. Rowlet pulls out a new move and defeats Hau's Decidueye through the power of friendship, determination, and COMPLETE AND BLATANT CHEATING! Seriously, I don't expect the anime to obey the game too tightly anymore, but who proofread this and thought this sends a good "work hard" message?!
And that is why I don’t keep up with the Pokémon anime

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

I'm waiting till the League is over to do a bigger complaint, but from the start the Alola League is a bit disappointing. I would actually say it's worse than the Unova League which up till now I considered the worst League. So far problems I had with the Alola League:

1. All the battles look to be 1-v-1, so if you're hoping for some big rival battles tough luck!
2. Plumeria (an interesting character that many fans would like to see and learn more about) lost to Ilima (a character no one has any interest in and got more than his fair share of episodes focusing on him) in the first round which was a massive free-for-all (which was an interesting idea though a transparent lazy excuse for the writers to skip ahead to the finals matches). Worst yet, Plumeria's Salazzle lost to Ilima's Eevee, because mascot power beats common sense. Oh, and then Ilima lost to Guzma next round, which was nice to see but know what else would have been nice to see? Plumeria vs Guzma if they were going that route. Or at least have Plumeria vs either Lana or Mallow.
3. There's too many "underdog" victories to the point you should expect the one less likely to win to win. I'll get to Ash vs Hau in number 4, but for this one I'll use Mallow vs Lana as the example. Mallow should have won, yeah Lana has a Starter (which also means automatic victory I guess) but, writers, sometimes you got to let the rules of the game decide who wins. Or they could have at least had Lana reveal she taught Primarina some Ice-type moves to give it some credibility to winning. Luckily they did have some sense and had Gladion beat Lillie.
4. And then we get Ash vs. Hau, a battle that should have been a semi-final battle (he final four trainers should have been Ash, Gladion, Hau, and Guzma). But this battle gets much worse then that. First, the issue of these being 1-v-1 battles come up so while Hau is obviously using Decidueye, since they set up the rivalry, Ash is using Rowlet. First major BS moment was when Decidueye used its signature Z-Move on a knocked down Rowlet. Somehow, as the attack was coming towards Rowlet it slip out of the Decidueye robe that was made for it to give it confidence and that took the attack instead of Rowlet. Then we had the second BS which stage7_4 mentioned where there's the "first one to stand up wins" moment and Decidueye stands up. So Hau wins, right? Nope, because as it turns out, Rowlet is just sleeping. It then wakes up, seemingly no worse than wear and goes on to beat Decidueye because the writers were finished having their fun. And they then have the nerve to show a scene of Hau breaking down and being comforted by Hala. COMPLETE BS. They did Hau dirty like they did Plumeria dirty. Maybe they could have pulled this off if it was a 3-v-3 or full team battle and Ash was able to tire out Decidueye before its final battle with Rowlet. But no, Rowlet won "just because".

I'm going to assume that Gladion is going to win the Alola League since we know Ash is doomed to fail and it would be a really ballsy move for them to have Guzma win.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
My little thing that annoys me is the 7 out of 8 male for starters. Took me 16 tries to finally get a female Popplio last time.
Yeah, at this point they should just get rid of the 1:7 gender ratio and have it either be 1:1, 1:3, or it's a gender exclusive species. How I would suggest moving the 1:7 Pokemon around:

1f:3m: Combee, Tepig family, Oshawott family, Chespin family, Tyrunt family, Litten family, Salandit
1f:1m: Bulbasaur family, Charmander family, Blastoise family, Eevee family, Omanyte family, Kabuto family, Aerodactyl, Snorlax family, Cyndaquil family, Totodile family, Treecko family, Blaziken family, Swampert family, Lileep family, Anorith family, Relicanth, Turtwig family, Chimchar family, Piplup family, Cranidos family, Shieldon family, Riolu family, Snivy family, Pansage family, Pansear family, Tirtouga family, Archen family, Zorua family, Froakie family, Rowlet family,
3f:1m: Chikorita family, Togepi family, Panpour family, Fennekin family, Amaura family, Popplio family, Litleo family

My little thing is how annoying it is to soft reset for a Shiny Legendary.
Are you sure it's a Legendary that isn't Shiny locked?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 16)