(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Aggressively disagree that ,even before the EXP Charm was added, SWSH had a pro-exp share level curve.

I had to go out of my way multiple times during SWSH to avoid just instantly out leveling the competition and leaving them in the dust. You just earn too much EXP in aggregate unless yo ustart ignoring pokemon and eventually ignoring trainers where possible and even then it is staggering how quickly you catch up.
This was the case during my first playthrough, where I caught every new Pokemon I saw.

On my second playthrough though, I caught almost my entire party near the beginning of the game & only got EXP from all the trainer fights on each route. I actually was starting to fall behind the level curve around the 4th gym (though I got back on track by the 5th one) . I think Sword and Shield's level curve was designed with this style of play in mind.

Still, I think the decision to have WILD POKEMON be at a higher levels then some of the trainers you fight in later routes to be very weird. My guess is this was done so that players would have an incentive using these mons over the ones they caught in the Wild Area.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think the fact that Mega Evolutions are still very much registered as a thing in Pokemon Home, sprites and all, and their individual Mega characteristics (Base Stats, different abilities, and all) are still in the Home data, means Game Freak still acknowledges them as a thing, which means that the door is always open for them to bring Megas back whenever they want to. Of course, that doesn't mean they will bring them back in Gen 8, but it does mean that Game Freak still has them in store in case they ever do decide they want to bring them back someday in the future, so in other words, Megas have not been fully erased from existence entirely.
Granted, it could also be because they copied the code over from previous generations, and something would break if they were erased. Key items from as far back as Gen IV can still be found in the code of even Sword and Shield. It's presumably easier to retain all the files and all the pointers, instead of deleting something, accidentally assigning a new index number to something obscure, and suddenly you have to use Oak's Letter to fish while Seadra can only be evolved if traded when holding a Super Potion. Might as well keep everything in the code to prevent the Jenga tower from falling down.

I really wonder what TPC themselves think of Megas. It might be that they consider it a part of Gen VI artistically, and call it a "one and done" thing they're finished with and won't touch again. Sort of how Super Mario Sunshine was the only Mario game to feature the FLUDD mechanics, or how Majora's Mask was the only Zelda game with the three-day time loop thing. If players want more of that respective stuff, the creators will just ask them to play those games again. Given how Nintendo usually treats their gimmicks, briefly summed up with "we did all we wanted with that system back then, and now we're doing new things", I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak has the same stance on Mega Evolution. The pool of Megas being finalized and archived to history, like the nozzles for the FLUDD or the melodies of the Wind Waker. If you want it again, play the old games; if you want more, you can't have it. Z-moves seem to have received the same fate, and Dynamaxing will go there too in time.

It can't be denied that Megas are popular, though, and that fans have been clamoring for more of them ever since the ORAS demo was released five years ago. Pokémon Go is just starting to implement Mega Evolution, and it would be one heck of a selling point if they could make another batch of them (not to mention, it would be a selling point for the next main series games too). But that would depend on the Game Freak higher-ups changing their minds, which doesn't happen particularly often.

TPC probably adores Megas, they're very marketable which is likely why they keep getting the go ahead in other materials.

GameFreak probably just sees it as just....a fancy power up mechanic. And a bit of a one & done in terms of supporting it with new megas. Same with z moves. But they'll support the two of them provided their NEWEST fancy power up mechanic doesnt step on toes. Dynamax steps on both, likely by design for the sake of trying to give everypokemon a power up state, so they both got the axe. Which also probably cleared up their modeling woes for a little bit.

gamefreak's a bit to obsessed with this tbh. The game doesnt need these spectacle power ups and theyre kind of comically imbalanced in every single iteration.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Granted, it could also be because they copied the code over from previous generations, and something would break if they were erased. Key items from as far back as Gen IV can still be found in the code of even Sword and Shield. It's presumably easier to retain all the files and all the pointers, instead of deleting something, accidentally assigning a new index number to something obscure, and suddenly you have to use Oak's Letter to fish while Seadra can only be evolved if traded when holding a Super Potion. Might as well keep everything in the code to prevent the Jenga tower from falling down.

I really wonder what TPC themselves think of Megas. It might be that they consider it a part of Gen VI artistically, and call it a "one and done" thing they're finished with and won't touch again. Sort of how Super Mario Sunshine was the only Mario game to feature the FLUDD mechanics, or how Majora's Mask was the only Zelda game with the three-day time loop thing. If players want more of that respective stuff, the creators will just ask them to play those games again. Given how Nintendo usually treats their gimmicks, briefly summed up with "we did all we wanted with that system back then, and now we're doing new things", I wouldn't be surprised if Game Freak has the same stance on Mega Evolution. The pool of Megas being finalized and archived to history, like the nozzles for the FLUDD or the melodies of the Wind Waker. If you want it again, play the old games; if you want more, you can't have it. Z-moves seem to have received the same fate, and Dynamaxing will go there too in time.

It can't be denied that Megas are popular, though, and that fans have been clamoring for more of them ever since the ORAS demo was released five years ago. Pokémon Go is just starting to implement Mega Evolution, and it would be one heck of a selling point if they could make another batch of them (not to mention, it would be a selling point for the next main series games too). But that would depend on the Game Freak higher-ups changing their minds, which doesn't happen particularly often.
TPC probably adores Megas, they're very marketable which is likely why they keep getting the go ahead in other materials.

GameFreak probably just sees it as just....a fancy power up mechanic. And a bit of a one & done in terms of supporting it with new megas. Same with z moves. But they'll support the two of them provided their NEWEST fancy power up mechanic doesnt step on toes. Dynamax steps on both, likely by design for the sake of trying to give everypokemon a power up state, so they both got the axe. Which also probably cleared up their modeling woes for a little bit.

gamefreak's a bit to obsessed with this tbh. The game doesnt need these spectacle power ups and theyre kind of comically imbalanced in every single iteration.
Doubt GF would change their mind about this. Not helping that Z-Moves wasn't even included in Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee in favor of Mega Evolution, meaning that the remake and even spin-off - including Pokémon GO that you mentioned - is more freelanced about those battle gimmicks (generally preferring Mega Evolution but Masters do use Z-Moves), and apparently no spin-off games would make use of Dynamaxing so far anyways.

The bigger concerns is how intense their next battle gimmick could be, since Dynamaxing does a lot of things in just three turns (thankfully restricted to some places called Power Spots), and it can end up severely bumping the power creep up there instead of controlling it. Knowing GF, they could go even higher and make an incredibly ridiculous battle gimmick that ends up doing more harm than good just like the other battle gimmicks did in the long run.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
You have to be a genuine numbskull to think Megas will never return. They're too popular to fully get rid of. It would be the equivalent of a new 2d mario game saying "Oh yeah, by the way, we're never bringing back any of the old power-ups ever again. Fire Flowers, Stars, they're all gone, fuck you." Yes Megas don't have the same legacy within the franchise stemming back to its origins but I'd be willing to wager they are just as well-known and beloved at this stage. We literally have a Switch game with them included! As for whether new ones will come around that's a different story, one I'm a little less certain on, but it's not even close to being impossible, I mean if we can get new Regis after nearly 15 years sky's the limit.

If the rumors about TPC wrangling Game Freak are true I wonder if there'll come a point where they'll force their hand on the matter. Like GF is working on/presents them a new thing for Gen 9 and they immediately shoot it down and say "NO, you're going to focus on Mega Evolution and make new ones NOW or else". I highly doubt they have that kind of power, but as I said, if it turns out they do, who knows.

Not looking forward to years of "Did TPC/Nintendo Force Them To Make This Decision?!" discussion for every single thing every game does moving forward, ngl
Eh, I feel your pain, but it's questions doomed to happen in AAA gaming nowadays.
GameFreaks/TPCI isn't exactly the only case where a game company is forced to take questionable design decisions due to their publishers in the last few years.

That said, I do agree that the return of megas is inevitable. When and how, that's anyone's guess.
I don't think we'll be getting them this gen, either ways. At least, not in SwSh. I'd rather think of the possibility in gen 9.

Plus... honestly I have a hard time thinking of a ""new"" mechanic that could be as scenic as Dynamax without completely destroying the competitive scene. Dynamax itself is already borderline (while it's manageable, it has more downsides than upsides even in double battles), something "more powerful" would just be difficult to think for me.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Plus... honestly I have a hard time thinking of a ""new"" mechanic that could be as scenic as Dynamax without completely destroying the competitive scene. Dynamax itself is already borderline (while it's manageable, it has more downsides than upsides even in double battles), something "more powerful" would just be difficult to think for me.
We've had super abilities, super evolutions, super moves, and both of the latter at the same time now, so I guess the next one will be related to hold items or something like that (yes, we're probably due for another round of armour mechanic rumours). Whatever it will be, I think the games are perceived to need a big, flashy gimmick that looks good in trailers (and preferably, merch) and makes battles really scenic, something "never seen before" that makes the new games stand out from the previous ones. I think there will be something, and we may not like it any better than we did Dynamaxing.

Eh, I feel your pain, but it's questions doomed to happen in AAA gaming nowadays.
GameFreaks/TPCI isn't exactly the only case where a game company is forced to take questionable design decisions due to their publishers in the last few years.
While true I feel like the hardcore community is a bit too plugged into this topic with pokemon in particular. I mean its the same community hoping it does happen at various points in time. Its like a reverse Paper Mario.
That said, I do agree that the return of megas is inevitable. When and how, that's anyone's guess.
I don't think we'll be getting them this gen, either ways. At least, not in SwSh. I'd rather think of the possibility in gen 9.

to be fair after megas and z moves would anyone have thought "they grow, like, really big " as the next logical step

It was really neat with the Gym Leaders and Dynamax, but Piers' in-battle dialogue in particular was my favorite and it showcased how even without Dynamax, it was like each of his Pokemon was a star of the show, and how he was talking about how each of his Pokemon had a specific strategy in mind, and he showed off each and every one of his Pokemon.
Oh, that's pretty neat, I'll go see what he says.

"Malamar's gonna mess you all up with its Contrary Ability!"

Cool, what's its movese-

melemer.PNG

It... it doesn't... it doesn't have Superpower. It doesn't have any move to abuse its advertised ability.

ebstegeen.PNG

AND HIS DARK MON HAS GHOST COVERAGE ARE YOU FU-

Said it before and I’ll say it again. “Which mega rich corporate entity full of suits did the bad thing” is probably the most pointless and most annoying discussion topic which completely misses the point by trying to find one bad guy to blame things on while lifting up the other as some angelic group that unless forced would never ever do the bad thing.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh, that's pretty neat, I'll go see what he says.

"Malamar's gonna mess you all up with its Contrary Ability!"

Cool, what's its movese-

View attachment 274624

It... it doesn't... it doesn't have Superpower. It doesn't have any move to abuse its advertised ability.

View attachment 274625

AND HIS DARK MON HAS GHOST COVERAGE ARE YOU FU-
Yeeeeah, that Malamar not having Superpower is unfortunate. I feel like in that particular instance they might've been fishing on the possibility that unknowing players would try to use stat lowering moves on it, but they could've tried to have Contrary Superpower in tow because that's Malamar's famous gimmick in competitive too.

At least Scrafty and Skuntank were true to what Piers said they would do.

I think what annoys me even more though is Raihan tbqh. Part of his gimmick is weather, and in his double battle he utilizes Sandstorm, but he doesn't have a single Pokemon to take advantage of it. His team is basically Gigalith, Flygon, Sandaconda, and Duraludon, and except Gigalith with its SpD boost, none of his Pokemon gain any sort of benefit from Sand.

Also in his Champion Cup battle he has a Flygon with Sandstorm, except Flygon doesn't benefit from Sandstorm in any way, shape, or form. It would've been better if something like Garchomp made it in and he used that, because Garchomp has the rage-inducing Sand Veil as its ability and it would've been able to take advantage of Sand better.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I’m genuinely curious what super mechanic they will come for next gen. They already did form change, moves, and the two combined together, so what’s next? Maybe they should go back to Mega Evolution. It’s just debuted in Go, and as well as being prominent in Masters. It would be a good time to bring it back to profit off the hype.
The Next Super Mechanic:
Well I predicted Super Abilities a while back but that obviously was wrong because they want the super mechanics being a spectacle. Because of that, I would say it all depends on what console Gen 9 appears on:
  • If Gen 9 is on a new console then they may go along with a gimmick of that new console.
  • If Gen 9 is also on the Switch then I'm thinking of two things (keeping in mind Dynamax isn't leaving Gen 8). If they go with something new I'm thinking maybe Type Armor is an option on the table (what that exactly means I'll leave up to the imagination, I have an idea but this is already tip-toeing on wishlisting). But if they're going to wait until the next console to do the "next big gimmick" then bringing back an old super mechanic wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a fresh shake...
Megas:
That brings us to the next topic. Mega won't be back for Gen 8, but I can see them coming back... but the question is when.

If I were to be SUPER skeptical, I would say it won't be until the gen they plan on doing the Gen 6 remakes. Of course there's two problems with this thought: (1.) It's unclear if they're still doing main series remakes and (2.) We still have Gen 4 & 5 to do.

However, if they hold off the Gen 4 remakes for Gen 9 and Gen 9 is going to be on the Switch, I would say that would be the perfect opportunity to bring back Megas.

We've had super abilities
Wait, when? If you mean some of the Abilities that Mega Pokemon got I guess but then again when I think of a "Super Ability" I think of something that has a whole bunch of effects and not just make a Pokemon stronger in one regard.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Doubt Hidden Abilities are used as "Super Abilities" because:
  1. Hidden Abilities are either unavailable in in-game without obscure or online methods.
  2. Those are not available for every Pokémon (i.e. some Legendaries), as well as some non-Mega form changes.
  3. Not all Hidden Abilities are better than the regular slot Abilities for every Pokémon.
Most blatant examples for the third case are:
  • Machamp: Steadfast; Guts and No Guard are already more useful.
  • Kantonian Marowak: Battle Armor; Alolan Marowak have the better Rock Head as their Hidden Ability for some reason.
  • Flareon: That would work if Flareon can be burned. Even Jolteon's Quick Feet benefit it more!
  • Ledian: Iron Fist... Do I need to explain if you know how low Ledian's Attack is?
  • Ampharos: Plus; too situational and inconsistent.
  • Sunflora: Early Bird; as weak as is, Solar Power is already preferable over something that is situational at best.
  • Wobbuffet: Telepathy; while useful in Doubles, this isn't something you want to use over Shadow Tag in-game.
  • All Pokémon with weight halving/doubling Ability: Too specific to work as an option.
  • Delibird: Insomnia; it already have Vital Spirit, that just feels lazy.
  • Tyranitar: Unnerve. Sand Stream is ubiquitous for Tyranitar anyways...
  • Empoleon: Defiant; it's not really gonna help it in competitive, and pretty inconsistent in-game.
  • Chatot: Big Pecks; Chatot's already a gimmicky bottom-tier bird, and no one would use Big Pecks over... *Checks Chatot's Ability list* Keen Eye.
  • Dusknoir: Frisk; not many NPCs uses held items, making Pressure a better choice unless you need an emergency item scouter.
  • Whimsicott: Chlorophyll; normally a good Ability but Whimsicott is not designed to sweep.
  • Unovan Darmanitan: Zen Mode; cumbersome to use overall. Galarian Darmanitan's Zen Mode, on the other hand, is downright scary with the right cards.
  • Durant: Truant. Outside of the Truant + Entrainment gimmick, that is quite an insulting choice of a Hidden Ability!
  • Pyroar: Moxie; that would work if Pyroar is a physical attacker and not a special attacker.
  • Dedenne: Plus; you are not Plusle, Dedenne, go home!
  • Decidueye: Long Reach; offers too little even if not being hurt by Iron Barbs is very nice, since things like Tough Claws make contact moves more worth using anyways.
  • Tapus: Telepathy; auto-terrain all days, thus scarifying it for Telepathy is not worth it.
  • Cursola: Perish Body; poor Defense means Cursola can't spam it and force switches. Cursola deserves a better Ability, or at least Perish Body being more useful.
tl;dr Not all Hidden Abilities are useful and doesn't make sense to call them Super Abilities or some sort.

- i hate the fact alomomola isn't luvdisc's evolution;
- i don't like pokémon that don't have pre-evolution or evolution, honestly they should get it, for example: miltank, skarmory, hawlucha, lapras;
- i really don't like how the forgot the mega evolutions, it looks super incomplete and they should come back to it;
- i don't support pokémon that are objects, like: klefki, polteagaist, rotom's forms, aegislash and others, for me it's lack of creativity;
- different abilities with the same function are unnecessary: libero/protean, vital spirit/imsonia, mold breaker/teravolt, it's lack of creativity;

that's all for now! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 12)