(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I know some Europeans complain about getting shafted by game companies almost too often, but this is different. This is awful business practice.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...emon_omega_ruby_and_alpha_sapphire_still_work

It seems Game Freak or Nintendo skimped on production costs of ORAS for PAL versions. These games are less than 7 years old and the hardware is breaking. Lots of games from the 70s still work, yet specifically ORAS, specifically in PAL regions, are breaking after such a short amount of time. This is a massive fuck you to European consumers.

I haven’t tested my version because I prefer Emerald anyway and hey my copy of that actually still works, I was playing it a couple months ago. Hell, so does my copy of Blue. How was it deemed acceptable to shaft European consumers in the 3DS era? This is worse than any of the qualms we have with the gameplay of these games themselves, because if the game itself breaks then the gameplay is inaccessible.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
As evil as stall is, it's honestly small compared to the min maxed sweeper scene

Incidentally why I love showdown comps with wacky teams
Don’t get me started with GF not doing anything that could make min-maxed sweeping more reasonable to fight back against, especially now that Magearna, Crowned Zacian and Shadow Rider Calyrex, despite their own sets of checks, can streamroll so much that it is aggravating for online play in general.

Or the whole Cosmic Power + Stored Power used by any Pokémon that can use these two moves which makes revenge killing impossible without Toxic or relying on Ditto to counter-sweep.

If stall do make a match that lasts too long, min-max sweeping can end a match way too quickly if not well prepared for.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I know some Europeans complain about getting shafted by game companies almost too often, but this is different. This is awful business practice.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...emon_omega_ruby_and_alpha_sapphire_still_work

It seems Game Freak or Nintendo skimped on production costs of ORAS for PAL versions. These games are less than 7 years old and the hardware is breaking. Lots of games from the 70s still work, yet specifically ORAS, specifically in PAL regions, are breaking after such a short amount of time. This is a massive fuck you to European consumers.

I haven’t tested my version because I prefer Emerald anyway and hey my copy of that actually still works, I was playing it a couple months ago. Hell, so does my copy of Blue. How was it deemed acceptable to shaft European consumers in the 3DS era? This is worse than any of the qualms we have with the gameplay of these games themselves, because if the game itself breaks then the gameplay is inaccessible.
just live in america lol

I feel bad for the Europeans who are going to want to play these games in a decade. If you think older Pokémon games can get stupidly expensive in the states if you're stuck trying to get them secondhand, just imagine needing a copy from another continent because someone decided that you shouldn't get hardware longevity.

just live in america lol

I feel bad for the Europeans who are going to want to play these games in a decade. If you think older Pokémon games can get stupidly expensive in the states if you're stuck trying to get them secondhand, just imagine needing a copy from another continent because someone decided that you shouldn't get hardware longevity.
Unfortunately, unlike the original DS/DS Lite, where the games were region Free(DSi was on a case-by-case basis), the 3DS is completely region-locked. It is the only Nintendo handheld to hold this distinction. All Gameboy Models and even the Switch can also play physical games from other regions.

The Mind Electric

Unfortunately, unlike the original DS/DS Lite, where the games were region Free(DSi was on a case-by-case basis), the 3DS is completely region-locked. It is the only Nintendo handheld to hold this distinction. All Gameboy Models and even the Switch can also play physical games from other regions.
Wow, that's just straight-up bullshit. So if you're a European and you want to play OR/AS but can't get a working European copy, you need to:

1. Find and buy a 3DS from the United States (other countries have them too, but if the cartridges are region locked then you also need a cartridge from the same country so the US will be easiest).
2. Buy an American version of the game.

For the most anti-fan project company in the industry, Nintendo sure does seem to want people to emulate their games. It would be by far the easiest option in this scenario.

Wow, that's just straight-up bullshit. So if you're a European and you want to play OR/AS but can't get a working European copy, you need to:

1. Find and buy a 3DS from the United States (other countries have them too, but if the cartridges are region locked then you also need a cartridge from the same country so the US will be easiest).
2. Buy an American version of the game.

For the most anti-fan project company in the industry, Nintendo sure does seem to want people to emulate their games. It would be by far the easiest option in this scenario.
Not that the region locking practice wasn't stupid but the actual alternative is just uh

buying ORAS on the european eshop.

The Mind Electric

Not that the region locking practice wasn't stupid but the actual alternative is just uh

buying ORAS on the european eshop.
For right now, sure, but the 3DS isn't being manufactured anymore, and I imagine that it's only a matter of time until its store closes down.

For right now, sure, but the 3DS isn't being manufactured anymore, and I imagine that it's only a matter of time until its store closes down.
Eventually, probably, but likely not any time soon.

Circling back to the physical copy issue there's also the possibility that this isn't that widespread, or was fixed in later prints of the game, and that there will still be plenty of used physical copies of European ORAS

Bad news. I actually didn't see this until a little bit after I made my first couple posts on this issue, but yeah.
Interesting, & a bummer, but I still wonder how widespread it winds up being. it's interesting how it was primarily based around ORAS EU reports, rather than the earlier games.

Also feel like that should be spreading to other non-Pokemon games sooner than later, especially on DS titles.

Interesting, & a bummer, but I still wonder how widespread it winds up being. it's interesting how it was primarily based around ORAS EU reports, rather than the earlier games.

Also feel like that should be spreading to other non-Pokemon games sooner than later, especially on DS titles.
Wouldn't be surprised to see reports explode now that everybody that's heard of this has a reason to do a quick check on games they otherwise haven't touched in years. Honestly, I'm scared to do my collection.

Wouldn't be surprised to see reports explode now that everybody that's heard of this has a reason to do a quick check on games they otherwise haven't touched in years. Honestly, I'm scared to do my collection.
It's probably a good idea, especially on any DS year 1 titles. It's been about 15 years for those

That made me want to run CartInstall with my Alpha Sapphire and Moon cartridges, which I initially didn't want to dump on my 3DS (my intention was to only do this to Ultra Sun and Super Mystery Dungeon)

Fortunately they still work...

The Mind Electric

... Well, I guess I've been meaning to transfer at least my valuable Pokemon up... Hopefully my games are fine and will be until I can get all the Pokemon I want from my games out.
Same. I've still got to finish White 2 + the postgame, on top of needing to get my hands on a second system to transfer a shiny Steelix out of my Platinum copy. I'm hoping that my games don't just break, but we'll have to see.

fwiw luigiblood, who was the guy (he has expertise in stuff like this btw so he's not really "some guy" incidentally) who posited the bitrot problem that would lead to shorter shelflife sounds like while it will proabbly still be a problem it might not be what the problem actually is

circling back to the original original post, it may in fact have been europe, for the ORAS (& also, Persona Q????) print runs, used a cheaper memory. Though I'm still curious if that was all ORAS copies or just early runs.

Interestingly I was also seeing serebii stat on reset era that from some testing a few carts that stopped working would work on older firmwares of 3DS so there might also be some other issues in play. What a mess

The Mind Electric

fwiw luigiblood, who was the guy (he has expertise in stuff like this btw so he's not really "some guy" incidentally) who posited the bitrot problem that would lead to shorter shelflife sounds like while it will proabbly still be a problem it might not be what the problem actually is

circling back to the original original post, it may in fact have been europe, for the ORAS (& also, Persona Q????) print runs, used a cheaper memory. Though I'm still curious if that was all ORAS copies or just early runs.

Interestingly I was also seeing serebii stat on reset era that from some testing a few carts that stopped working would work on older firmwares of 3DS so there might also be some other issues in play. What a mess
What is even happening anymore?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Bad news. I actually didn't see this until a little bit after I made my first couple posts on this issue, but yeah.
Shouldn't literally every single Mario 64 DS cart be broken because of this? I mean heck if this issue was this widespread and susceptible to happen within just 5 years, shouldn't it have been uncovered MUCH sooner?

Something doesn't sit right with me about this

The Mind Electric

Shouldn't literally every single Mario 64 DS cart be broken because of this? I mean heck if this issue was this widespread and susceptible to happen within just 5 years, shouldn't it have been uncovered MUCH sooner?

Something doesn't sit right with me about this
I was actually tempted to bring up that I have a Mario 64 DS cart from 2004 that still works with no problems, yeah. There's been conflicting information about what exactly happened to these European OR/AS carts, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the thing I linked is completely false.

DPPt annoyance. Breeding Pokemon eggmoves that are HGSS exclusive and all of them were important.

Arbok with Switcheroo? Sry, you need HGSS for that.
Crawdaunt with Dragon Dance? Sry, you need HGSS for that.
Ampharos with Agility? Sry, you need HGSS for that.
Murkrow with Brave Bird? Nope, you need HGSS for that.

Getting Pokemon Diamond was already a pain. Trying to get a copy of HGSS just because I want a decently competitve selection of Pokemon for PBR is more annoying than getting FRLG moves. While you have to work far more gameplay wise, HGSS requires me to put on more cash.

The Mind Electric

DPPt annoyance. Breeding Pokemon eggmoves that are HGSS exclusive and all of them were important.

Arbok with Switcheroo? Sry, you need HGSS for that.
Crawdaunt with Dragon Dance? Sry, you need HGSS for that.
Ampharos with Agility? Sry, you need HGSS for that.
Murkrow with Brave Bird? Nope, you need HGSS for that.

Getting Pokemon Diamond was already a pain. Trying to get a copy of HGSS just because I want a decently competitve selection of Pokemon for PBR is more annoying than getting FRLG moves. While you have to work far more gameplay wise, HGSS requires me to put on more cash.
Now I'm wondering how much my copy of HG from like 2011 would go for on-
Capture 291.PNG

I know what I'm doing today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)