(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Collector's market really is just obscene. It's Pokemon, they sold literal millions of copies for years
These games are highly sought-after, they're not being manufactured anymore, and many of the people who have copies are never going to sell them. I can see why they're worth as much as they are.

Paying $2000 for the box is dumb though.

Last week I wanted to transfer some Pokemon from Emerald right up to gen 8. Alright, no problem; first step is to migrate them to Platinum. So I pop Emerald and Platinum into my old DS Lite and go to migrate them... wait, what's this? Because I usually use my 3DS, the game detects that it was previously played on a different system and will not let me transfer anything for another 24 hours.

Annoying as this is in the first place, it boils down to the fact that you can't migrate Pokemon from gen 3 to gen 4 more than once a day. I just want to know... who at GF thought that was a good idea? In what way does the game benefit from artificially restricting this? They thankfully changed it for transferring to BW, but still.

Last week I wanted to transfer some Pokemon from Emerald right up to gen 8. Alright, no problem; first step is to migrate them to Platinum. So I pop Emerald and Platinum into my old DS Lite and go to migrate them... wait, what's this? Because I usually use my 3DS, the game detects that it was previously played on a different system and will not let me transfer anything for another 24 hours.

Annoying as this is in the first place, it boils down to the fact that you can't migrate Pokemon from gen 3 to gen 4 more than once a day. I just want to know... who at GF thought that was a good idea? In what way does the game benefit from artificially restricting this? They thankfully changed it for transferring to BW, but still.
HGSS do not have the daily limit DPPt have, so it seems Game Freak got enough negative feedback to fix it before the Generation ended.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, I just got Goh'd last night.

Some backstory: After hearing about the failing DS carts in Europe (apparently it's only affecting some early edition of the games but still why take the chance? Not that I think floating in a Cloud save is any safer...), decided finally to transport all my Dexit, Legendaries, & other special Pokemon to HOME (and try to get that Magearna, though I'm going to need to trade for a Type: Null, whoever thought Legendaries that evolve and no way to go back to a prior form needs to be the one that gets cryogenically frozen... Silvally isn't even evolving, it's just taking off the limiter device on its head!). But before the big move going to need to do some preperation, specifically essentially make a living dex of the cut mons. So cue past few couple of days of breeding and evolving a whole batch of Pokemon in my Ultra Moon & Moon (I don't think there's any Pokemon in my Y or Alpha Sapphire version but I'll check in on it anyway, say hi to my Champion team... YES I KNOW THEY'RE DATA BUT THEY'RE FRIENDS TO ME!). So, got two stories, both concerning Bug Pokemon with annoying gimmicks:

* Wurmple: Going back to getting Goh'd, for some basic explanations:

(1.) Wurmple has a split evolution line where it evolves into either Silcoon or Cascoon. How this is decided is by pure chance, or in computer terms, goes off its randomly generated personality values. There's no way to know what it'll evolve into either without doing some calculations which I think you'll need to know some hidden data for... or just leveling up the darn things to Level 7. For most people the latter options is just the easiest, catch/hatch a whole bunch and hope you're not there for more than one batch.
(2.) Knowing full well of this, in the current Pokemon Journey's anime, in one early episode trip to Hoenn, Goh caught 3 Wurmple. He caught three because even he knew about this and figured even if two evolved into the same cocoon Pokemon he'll have a spare that'll surely evolve into the other. All three of his Wurmple evolved into Cascoons. Goh's expression says it all (don't worry, he recovers from it quickly and they're all now Dustox hanging out at the lab with his other Pokemon):

And, well, do I need to explain any further what happened to me last night? Yup, hatched 3 Wurmple (the other 3 slots in my party was my Fletchinder which I was using to battle with (BTW this was Moon so had the all-party Exp. Share on) and a Silcoon & Cascoon I already had but they needed to evolve into a Beautifly and Dustox so I needed another two) and all three became Cascoon. Had to hatch another batch though this time, since I got the Beautifly and Dustox, I had a party of 5 Wurmple so of course when they all began evolving I got the Silcoon with the 2nd one of the group (the first one also evolved into a Cascoon so take that Goh, I got FOUR Cascoon in a row).

* Burmy: Not only does Burmy have an evolution based on gender but the female evolution also has a form evolution gimmick! Depending on where you battled last, Burmy will either have a cloak made of leafs & twigs, sand & stone, or "trash" (looks to be pink insulation with wires sticking out); and when a female evolves into Wormadam the cloak becomes permanent. "Plant" and "Sandy" were easy enough to get, plenty of wild battles to have in forests/fields and on beaches/in caves. But then comes the "Trash" cloak which you get from battling inside a building... and I had a hard time thinking about where I could go. I didn't want to challenge the Pokemon League, this was Moon version so the Kantonian Gym wasn't built yet, unsure if the Battle Royal or Battle Tree counted, & you only had the one rematch with Faba instead of once per day like in the Ultra versions. I had to pull up Bulbapedia and I thought I was going to have to scour all over Alola for at least one in-door battling location. Luckily, it didn't take long for me to rediscover the Battle Buffet. And, now just thinking about it, the Abandoned Thrifty Megamart probably would also count. Okay, so this one is just more me having a brain fart, but still I do think exemplifies that getting a Trash Cloak has some more hoops to jump through than the Plant and Sandy Cloaks.

In the case of Wurmple, without even needing to change the evolution system, it would be nice if there were a way to know beforehand if it's going to evolve into a Cascoon or Silcoon.

Perhaps they could make it depend on whether the mother or the non-Ditto parent was a Dustox (offspring Wurmples become more likely to evolve into Cascoon) or Beautifly (offspring Wurmples are more likely to become Silcoons). Or have an NPC "predict" which Pokémon Wurmple will evolve into.

I know it's just having it grow 6 levels, but leveling it up to find out it evolves into the wrong Pokémon feels like a waste of time.

Burmy is usually a fun one to try to control. Off the top of my head, for post-game Trash Cloak, no E4:
DPP has loads of rematches, that's easy.
HGSS there's probably fights left in the Rocket HQ in Mahogany; there's also the Fighting Dojo.
I haven't played BW, won't comment.
XY is easy, you can just use the Battle Chateau/restaurants.
ORAS, Mauville's Food Court is the only place I can think of, and that may not count. If it doesn't, better hope you left Trick House incomplete.
SM, you can also fight Morimoto in the GF Office.
The fact that Burmy isn't available in SwSh is probably a good thing. Without DLC, you'd probably be forced to use the Tournaments and wild mons as the only options for postgame battling, and there's a decent shot the game would consider Stadiums to be Grass. It may be legit impossible to get a Trash Cloak Burmy in the postgame, which is ridic to consider.

I generally like Burmy and it's odd method of evolving, but I absolutely cannot blame anyone for deciding that the entire thing is a deliberate pain in the ass from the developers.

The fact that Burmy isn't available in SwSh is probably a good thing. Without DLC, you'd probably be forced to use the Tournaments and wild mons as the only options for postgame battling, and there's a decent shot the game would consider Stadiums to be Grass. It may be legit impossible to get a Trash Cloak Burmy in the postgame, which is ridic to consider.
Do the Battle Cafes not give experience?

I think that Trash Burmy can be anywhere marked as "indoors", but isn't a cave. So I think in DP you can just get into wild battles in the Chataeu or Lost Tower and wind up with Trash cloak that way, for example.
BW had all those stadium battles if nothing else
XY should be able to do it in that abandoned hotel
SM has the buffet, but I imagine Thirfty megamart should work too.

SWSH has the battle cafes as Pumpkinz mentioned

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, I just got Goh'd last night.

Some backstory: After hearing about the failing DS carts in Europe (apparently it's only affecting some early edition of the games but still why take the chance? Not that I think floating in a Cloud save is any safer...), decided finally to transport all my Dexit, Legendaries, & other special Pokemon to HOME (and try to get that Magearna, though I'm going to need to trade for a Type: Null, whoever thought Legendaries that evolve and no way to go back to a prior form needs to be the one that gets cryogenically frozen... Silvally isn't even evolving, it's just taking off the limiter device on its head!).
Surprised, since Type:Null is an easy gift mon in S/M, USUM and SwSh and you have all 3 that you didn’t just not evolve one of them?

ORAS, Mauville's Food Court is the only place I can think of, and that may not count. If it doesn't, better hope you left Trick House incomplete.
There's also rematches with Wally at the Battle Maison. And I guess there's the Inverse Trainer too. It has been a while since I played OR/AS so I don't remember if they have anything else apart from those two and the Battle Buffet. Sea Mauville maybe? Not sure if the game counts it as a building or as a dungeon (cave) though.

I also don't remember that there are any trainer rematches inside of buildings in D/P since they don't have Gym Leader rematches (only Platinum does). But there's the Lost Tower and Old Chateau as R_N noted, so they are fine either way.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I also don't remember that there are any trainer rematches inside of buildings in D/P since they don't have Gym Leader rematches (only Platinum does). But there's the Lost Tower and Old Chateau as R_N noted, so they are fine either way.
The Seven Stars Restaurant at Lake Valor, perhaps?

That place has trainers you can battle every day, for what it's worth

A way to mitigate the issues of evolving Burmy into the Wormadam form you want would be adding items that, when equipped to a Burmy, force it into a certain type of Cloak no matter where you're battling in.

But until they even consider that, it's kind of annoying.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
There's also rematches with Wally at the Battle Maison. And I guess there's the Inverse Trainer too. It has been a while since I played OR/AS so I don't remember if they have anything else apart from those two and the Battle Buffet. Sea Mauville maybe? Not sure if the game counts it as a building or as a dungeon (cave) though.

Diamond and Pearl also has the roaming trainers that battle you once a day in Pokémon Centres. When I played through and wanted a Wormadam-Trash-Cloak, that's what I used (since Lake Valor and the Lost Tower are too late in the game and Burmy really wants to evolve at level 20).

Never crossed my mind to use the Old Chateau, but luckily there are ways to finagle it such as overlevelling a little and evolving in the Valley Windworks, or waiting until after Gardenia to evolve Burmy and using the Eterna Galactic Hideout. In fact, gyms themselves might count, I'm not sure.

My bad, I forgot about that place. Thanks for the correction.
Diamond and Pearl also has the roaming trainers that battle you once a day in Pokémon Centres. When I played through and wanted a Wormadam-Trash-Cloak, that's what I used (since Lake Valor and the Lost Tower are too late in the game and Burmy really wants to evolve at level 20).
Aren't these Platinum only? I have been playing D/P/P a lot recently so I should know this, but a quick look at both Serebii and Bulbapedia tells me that those are only available in Platinum.

However, D/P has another similar feature: you can battle certain trainers at Jubilife TV. One trainer a day, it seems. Maybe that's what you were thinking about?

Either way, D/P has several ways to battle trainers inside of buildings, which you can use to obtain a trash cloak Burmy.

Last edited:
Sidetrack from another thread's discussion of Umbreon.

Several of Umberon's dex entries mention it being able to secrete poison. However, as part of the full Eevee line's general lack of wide movepools, it doesn't learn any poison-type attacks. That's not what annoys me. As a very clearly defensive mon, Umbreon frequently made use of Toxic. In fact, this probably would have ended up in the "things you like" thread: tying a mon's flavour to a non-signature move they are likely to use.

As of gen 8, Umbreon can no longer learn Toxic. It has now lost a flavour connection it has had since its inception in gen 2.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Surprised, since Type:Null is an easy gift mon in S/M, USUM and SwSh and you have all 3 that you didn’t just not evolve one of them?
Why not evolve them?

Note, this was also before HOME was released and we learned it had a National Dex. Had I known that when Sword & Shield was released I wouldn't have evolved the Type: Null they gave me.

But I didn't, so let's go over each Type: Null:
  • SM: Debut game so was naturally curious about the artificial Legendary that could "evolve", especially with the RKS System and given all those Memories to use it with. And, since it was in the dex, had to evolve it to complete it.
  • USUM: Once again, Type: Null family was in the dex and I saw no reason to transfer the one in SM over so evolved it to fill the dex.
  • SwSh: Getting the Type: Null was very sudden; you walk into the new Battle Tower and there it is. Given both it and the Memories, so just evolved it out of habit.
In the case of Wurmple, without even needing to change the evolution system, it would be nice if there were a way to know beforehand if it's going to evolve into a Cascoon or Silcoon.

Perhaps they could make it depend on whether the mother or the non-Ditto parent was a Dustox (offspring Wurmples become more likely to evolve into Cascoon) or Beautifly (offspring Wurmples are more likely to become Silcoons). Or have an NPC "predict" which Pokémon Wurmple will evolve into.
The Breeding thing would be nice, but as for having an identifiable thing on Wurmple itself, maybe change it's learnset a bit.
  • Obvious: Depending on its personality value it starts with a evo dependent Level 1 move: Sticky Web for Beautifly and Toxic Thread for Dustox.
  • Subtle: Change the ORDER of what moves it learns. Future Beautifly will be how it is now, but future Dustox will learn Poison Sting first at Level 1 and then String Shot at Level 5.
A way to mitigate the issues of evolving Burmy into the Wormadam form you want would be adding items that, when equipped to a Burmy, force it into a certain type of Cloak no matter where you're battling in.
Or have them hold a Miracle Seed, Soft Sand, or Metal Coat to change them and keep them in a certain cloak (you won't lose the items when they evolve since the mechancic would only affect Burmy).

Considering Beautifly and Dustox have a day/night duality, between being a butterfly learning Morning Sun and moth learning Moonlight, the most logical step to would to make Silcoon and Cascoon time-based evolutions like Espeon and Umbreon. Too bad Gen 3 throttled this mechanic. After seeing a post on r/pokemon, I am reminded that Decidueye has base 70 speed compared to Venusaur's base 80. I think the theory that speed is based on reaction time is kinda beyond redemption for me now.

Last edited:

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Considering Beautifly and Dustox have a day/night duality, between being a butterfly learning Morning Sun and moth learning Moonlight, the most logical step to would to make Silcoon and Cascoon time-based evolutions like Espeon and Umbreon. Too bad Gen 3 throttled this mechanic. After seeing a post on r/pokemon, I am reminded that Decidueye has base 70 speed compared to Venusaur's base 80. I think the theory that speed is based on reaction time is kinda beyond redemption for me now.
I guess snipers are very steady combatants and rarely make quick movements? :blobthinking: That said, it's obvious GF were overly cautious about making the starters too slow in early gens. If Venusaur, Meganium, Blastoise, etc. were made today, no way they would get anyway near 80 base speed. Thus Venusaur's speed is probably an anomaly.

So I was watching SM anime the other day and a comment asked if Silvally is the only mon that could use Z-moves of all types. I did a lengthy search and, apart from the usual suspects (Arceus, Smeargle, and Mew) it turns out that no other mon could share that distinction? I'm especially triggered by the fact that Drampa falls just short, unable to learn any damage-dealing Poison-type attack. :psygrump:

So I was watching SM anime the other day and a comment asked if Silvally is the only mon that could use Z-moves of all types. I did a lengthy search and, apart from the usual suspects (Arceus, Smeargle, and Mew) it turns out that no other mon could share that distinction? I'm especially triggered by the fact that Drampa falls just short, unable to learn any damage-dealing Poison-type attack. :psygrump:
Silvally doesn't learn any Ground or Fairy moves, damaging or otherwise, and it also couldn't learn any Fighting-type moves while Z-moves existed. Not even it fits into the group it was assumed to be the only member of.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Silvally doesn't learn any Ground or Fairy moves, damaging or otherwise, and it also couldn't learn any Fighting-type moves while Z-moves existed. Not even it fits into the group it was assumed to be the only member of.
And also Arceus. It can't learn any Fairy-type moves.

"But didn't they make it so Multitype also worked with the basic Z-Crystals?"

They sure did and Arceus can become a Fairy-type holding the Fairium Z... BUT GF likely forgot to program it so that Judgement also changed Type. It remains Normal-type no matter what Z-Crystal Arceus holds, thus is Arceus holds a Fairium Z it has no way of using it.

So only Mew and Smeargle can use each basic Z-Crystal.

I always thought that Hydreigon could use all Z-moves of all types, but it didn't learn any Fairy attacks (Logical ?) and Grass (Not even Energy Ball / Grass Knot ?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)