(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
The plight of vmax’s that have both an alt art, and a rainbow rare:
1619627407855.png
To start with some positives, look at this alt art! The colours, the cramorants, the symmetry with the urshifu and the background, this is truly a work of art.

...which is why it hurts so much more that when you open a pack, you could get the disgusting rainbow version.
1619116690685.jpeg
honestly it’s not as bad as only the vmax’s and trainers get them, as opposed to literally every gx in the gx era, but it still isn’t nice

Last edited:
I was EV training in Platinum. Somehow my 31 Spe IV Pokemon were missing 1 point in their speed stat which meant in a certain stat, I had too much evs. So after solving the problem that somehow I had 1 Atk ev too much, I used a beery to reduce the attack stat by 10. When training for to boost the Atk evs again, somehow, through leveling up, the atk increase is lower than it suppose to be.

Turns out, beeries in Emerald and Gen 4 somehow remove more than 10 EVs under certain conditions...
And I dislike EV training in Platin because there is no reliable place where you don't have to make something stupid to not get wild Pokemon that give you the wrong evs, too much evs or to few evs that can ruin your calculation.

Gen 4 is the worst Generation to EV train multiple Pokemon at once.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
Hammerlocke Cafe Master, and sudden level spikes;​

To begin this story, let’s talk about how the first cafe master actually isn’t bad. Found in Motostoke, he has a level 10 combee before the water badge, and a stronger team after. Clearly, you would think this would be the same with the hammerlocke one, as you only have three badges now. Game freak would neve-
CC7518BE-C9C7-4D9B-973C-F7D621B9D38A.png
B1C99393-7246-4207-B923-31140DED7E46.png
...oh, having levels on par with the 5th gym leader
that works too

(granted i don’t have a problem with games having things that you aren’t strong enough to do yet, but the first master doesn’t have this problem, and they already have a solution, which they did for the first one but not this(also there’s no hints that this is a spike, and the first one is fine))

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hammerlocke Cafe Master, and sudden level spike;​

To begin this story, let’s talk about how the first cafe master actually isn’t bad. Found in Motostoke, he has a level 10 combee before the water badge, and a stronger team after. Clearly, you would think this would be the same with the hammerlocke one, as you only have three badges now. Game freak would neve-
View attachment 336479View attachment 336480...oh, having levels on par with the 5th gym leader
that works too

(granted i don’t have a problem with games having things that you aren’t strong enough to do yet, but the first master doesn’t have this problem, and they already have a solution, which they did for the first one but not this(also there’s no hints that this is a spike, and the first one is fine))
First, Xaviere, you can change the image's size by, after posting the image:
  1. Clicking on the image. A little pop-up menu shows up.
  2. Click on the button that's four arrows pointing out in all directions, it'll also say "Change size" when hovered over.
  3. You'll get a new pop-up that asks for "Width" and "Height". Don't worry about "Height", just use "Width" as it'll adjust height automatically. If you're wondering what unit it's going by, it's going by number of pixels (px) though that isn't too important to know.
  4. Enter in a number, see if you like the size, and if its too big/small just repeat the steps and adjust the number until it's how you like it. For example, I changed the size of the pictures in your quote to 500.
Anyway, Cafe Master Bernard, yeah, surprised me a bit too. Like, I think even with the overleveling he's still a few levels above you the first time you can face him (well, in vanilla, not sure how doing the DLCs would affect your levels now). Still won, though I'm sure there's a few Nuzlockes that were either blind or forgot that probably weren't pretty...

Today I feel like posting about something that's been bugging me for a good while: Magearna's European delivery.

Americans, remember how you got the Magearna QR Code? It was just uploaded a Monday to the official site early on the day, right? It follows Europeans would get it the same way. Hah! As if.

First, we got it on Tuesday. Which is only the next day, but there's no reason it should happen. Second, instead of a code on a site it was a code that shows at the end of the Volcanion movie, which they would upload to the Pokémon TV app that day. Even though it normally updates on the weekend. If that sounds needlessly convoluted, well, it's because it is. But it gets worse! The movie was uploaded when it was about 23:45 in Portugal. Meaning about the last time you could conceivably say it was Tuesday on Europe. Technicalities, everyone loves them! Finally, the code was so small you couldn't scan it if you had a regular phone, you needed a tablet. Or get it off the Internet, but you get my point. At least now it's all in the past, but at the time this twisted, pointless, overcomplicated method had me baffled and confused. Why not just upload the Code like America?

Things like that is why I feel some game companies have a "Screw with Europe" division. No way this wasn't done on purpose. They had to know they were trolling us.

Today I feel like posting about something that's been bugging me for a good while: Magearna's European delivery.

Americans, remember how you got the Magearna QR Code? It was just uploaded a Monday to the official site early on the day, right? It follows Europeans would get it the same way. Hah! As if.

First, we got it on Tuesday. Which is only the next day, but there's no reason it should happen. Second, instead of a code on a site it was a code that shows at the end of the Volcanion movie, which they would upload to the Pokémon TV app that day. Even though it normally updates on the weekend. If that sounds needlessly convoluted, well, it's because it is. But it gets worse! The movie was uploaded when it was about 23:45 in Portugal. Meaning about the last time you could conceivably say it was Tuesday on Europe. Technicalities, everyone loves them! Finally, the code was so small you couldn't scan it if you had a regular phone, you needed a tablet. Or get it off the Internet, but you get my point. At least now it's all in the past, but at the time this twisted, pointless, overcomplicated method had me baffled and confused. Why not just upload the Code like America?

Things like that is why I feel some game companies have a "Screw with Europe" division. No way this wasn't done on purpose. They had to know they were trolling us.
I had forgotten how annoying they made it for us Europeans to get the code for Magearna, though that's probably because I waited with getting it until someone had uploaded the code to the internet. Still, I agree. It is very weird how they decided to distribute it through a different method in every region.

What I found worse with release dates for S/M was how the games themselves were released in Europe five days later than in the rest of the world. Even worse, it happened to be on a Wednesday, which is my busiest day of the week. I remember that I got Moon on the release date, but I had very little time to play it on that day, which was annoying. While it was nowhere near as bad as with past releases (like how we had to wait three more months for D/P after they were released in the US), it was still annoying. I hope this never happens again and that all upcoming Pokémon games will have a true worldwide release like X/Y, US/UM and S/S had.

This has been true for a lot of evolutionary items, not just stones. Sure, the held-item-that-evolves-one-specific-Pokémon-by-trading items (which, by the way, are a far worse concept than stones, mostly because they only evolve one Pokémon) can be obtained multiple times, but you usually have to grind out BP to get more than one. Like dang Game Freak, what if I want more than one Slurpuff?

Gen 1 had the right idea with all of its stones (minus Moon, which were portrayed as special in Gen 1) infinitely purchasable.
Why is it that we didn't get stores that sell evolution items in S&S?
specially considering how many stores sell the exact same items while being in the same town which of course renders the extra shops useless

we even have restaurants that sell nothing in the same generation where a bunch of ingredient items were introduced! why not have groceries that specialize in selling ingredients instead of modeling places with literally no purpose? no instead go buy your milk in the middle of a field

I've seen people complain about item glut and how it gets harder and harder to put those items in a logical place in every subsequent generation
but instead of making those items available in a place that's logical both from a gameplay and in-game perspective ("where could one possibly get a random knick-knack like a Slik Scarf or a little pendant containing some [Mystic] Water in it? I know, how about the gift shop near the train station) we get a lot of items locked behind what is essentially a lottery and a lot of redundant stores :blobshrug:

Look at the incense shop in Hulsbury, it makes sense from both an in-game (it's a little shop in a flea market! it gives the town some character!) and gameplay perspective (wanna boost a psychic type move? or maybe you didn't pick Sobble but still want to boost a water move?)
now look at the restaurant in the same town, it's given some spotlight through the story and yet you can't buy any of the many food related recovery items in the game from it

Last edited:
The fact that Toxic, Knock Off, and Roost aren't Tutor / TR moves in Sword and Shield. Transferring between gen 7 and 8 is a hassle, yet this is the only way to get these moves on a lot of Pokemon. Really hoping that the DPP remakes use the old TM list from Diamond and Pearl + the Platinum move tutors so this isn't an issue anymore.

maybe they should finally do it and remove toxic/knock from half of the dex, especially knock. You had one chance with dexit and yet you still let people transfer those moves.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
maybe they should finally do it and remove toxic/knock from half of the dex, especially knock. You had one chance with dexit and yet you still let people transfer those moves.
I mean they're effectively banned from GF's official formats (aka all they care about) outside of the handful of native learners

In fact that's probably *why* Knock Off, Toxic and some other generic like Tailwind did not get a TR or Tutor this gen.

(Daily reminder that the official format only supports current-gen moves, Smogon doesn't exist as far as balancing goes, something users of this forum forget on daily basis)

Ironically they are actually trying to push Entry Hazards in VGC too (with G-max moves applying them, and if they were on actually good pokemon they would probably have worked, luckily they're on trash mons that see no use).
I'm sure VGC players can't wait for the day they have to also account for Stealth Rock, Spikes and whatnot in their EVing calculations... :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ok why is Machoke Purple for sprites after Gen 3? It's post FRLG art is blueish, yet even till Gen 8 for box icons it's still purple pink
Like why? It sticks out compared to the rest of the line cuz of this
It trains & workouts so much that its heart can barely pump enough oxygen through its blood to keep it going, thus it's able to still keep honing its muscles but turns blue due to low oxygen count in its blood. That or its power belt (meant to keep its power from exploding out) is too tight.

So why isn't Machop & Machamp blue? Machop is a beginner so, though it trains hard, it understands its limit (it doesn't have a power belt after all) so doesn't over exert itself. When Machoke finally evolves into a Machamp it has achieved so much muscle training it grew a second pair of arms just to have enough room for them thus can more focus on refining its fighting styles (which is apparently every martial arts there is according to the dex) instead of training every waking moment.

It trains & workouts so much that its heart can barely pump enough oxygen through its blood to keep it going, thus it's able to still keep honing its muscles but turns blue due to low oxygen count in its blood. That or its power belt (meant to keep its power from exploding out) is too tight.

So why isn't Machop & Machamp blue? Machop is a beginner so, though it trains hard, it understands its limit (it doesn't have a power belt after all) so doesn't over exert itself. When Machoke finally evolves into a Machamp it has achieved so much muscle training it grew a second pair of arms just to have enough room for them thus can more focus on refining its fighting styles (which is apparently every martial arts there is according to the dex) instead of training every waking moment.
Now to figure where the belts come from

The fact that Toxic, Knock Off, and Roost aren't Tutor / TR moves in Sword and Shield. Transferring between gen 7 and 8 is a hassle, yet this is the only way to get these moves on a lot of Pokemon. Really hoping that the DPP remakes use the old TM list from Diamond and Pearl + the Platinum move tutors so this isn't an issue anymore.
I find it very strange that Toxic was removed as a TM considering that it was a TM in every Gen since the first one, and the removal just feels strange. Not to mention Toxic was really popular in 17z Maybe they were tired of Stall dominating and decided to remove Toxic as a way to discourage the playstyle?

Knock Off makes much more sense though, considering they removed Mega Stones and Z-Crystals, which makes it much more spam able than ever. I’d only want it to return In BDSP if Mega Stones and Z-Crystals return in those games.

I find it very strange that Toxic was removed as a TM considering that it was a TM in every Gen since the first one, and the removal just feels strange. Not to mention Toxic was really popular in 17z Maybe they were tired of Stall dominating and decided to remove Toxic as a way to discourage the playstyle?

Knock Off makes much more sense though, considering they removed Mega Stones and Z-Crystals, which makes it much more spam able than ever. I’d only want it to return In BDSP if Mega Stones and Z-Crystals return in those games.
>Removes stall
>absolutely supports hyper offense
Your honor, I find GF stupid, and should be held accountable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)