(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Gen IV Battle Frontier: A bit disappointing but I understood why they did it. Battle Frontiers take a LOT of time to make and would feel just a waste for Gen IV's to just be in Platinum when it wasn't going to be the last game in that gen, and excluding it from HGSS would feel like they're offering less content in HGSS in that regard so they just transferred it over as a bonus more
I know but they could have actually redone emeralds frontier with minimum work since they could have still kept all the trainers and sets from platinum and copied emerald's data for the actual facilities challenges and the way they work, so all that would be left would be designing the frontier for ds gen 4 looks, and doing new sprites for the gen 3 brains

I know but they could have actually redone emeralds frontier with minimum work since they could have still kept all the trainers and sets from platinum and copied emerald's data for the actual facilities challenges and the way they work, so all that would be left would be designing the frontier for ds gen 4 looks, and doing new sprites for the gen 3 brains
So it would have been more of a doble copy paste from emerald and platinum rather than just plat

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
TIL Anorith and Armaldo's eyes aren't the red marks on their heads. I got finessed, well played GF.
Never mind that, reminds me of that time when I realized Cradily's eyes weren't those weird spirals and were actually below those spirals in what deceptively looked like its own mouth. Same with Lileep for that matter except I didn't realize it had eyes to begin with.

Coincidentally, that is also a Gen 3 fossil for the record.

Why on earth is Mega Punch so bad. I always forget how bad this thing is, and just assume "oh it's probabyl the slightly weaker but more accurate alternative to mega kick" but no

well i mean yes but no

mega kick is 120 BP and 75% accuracy, mega kick is 80 BP and...85% accuracy. That's terrible even just limiting the comparison between the pair but then you remember that wait even in a return-less world, these 2 moves exist
Strength: 80BP, 100% Accuracy
Body Slam: 85BP, 100% accuracy, and then also a 30% chance fo paralyze

In gen 1 it at least had a brief shelf life since you got the TM so much earlier than Strength & Body Slam (ss anne, i believe) but after that you really just left the move like this? Removing Strength from the greater pool of moves aint it, gamefreak. Very bad. Go back to the drawing board on this one.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Why on earth is Mega Punch so bad. I always forget how bad this thing is, and just assume "oh it's probabyl the slightly weaker but more accurate alternative to mega kick" but no

well i mean yes but no

mega kick is 120 BP and 75% accuracy, mega kick is 80 BP and...85% accuracy. That's terrible even just limiting the comparison between the pair but then you remember that wait even in a return-less world, these 2 moves exist
Strength: 80BP, 100% Accuracy
Body Slam: 85BP, 100% accuracy, and then also a 30% chance fo paralyze

In gen 1 it at least had a brief shelf life since you got the TM so much earlier than Strength & Body Slam (ss anne, i believe) but after that you really just left the move like this? Removing Strength from the greater pool of moves aint it, gamefreak. Very bad. Go back to the drawing board on this one.
I say just make them both 100 Power and 95% Accuracy, no secondary effect ("But that overshadows Strength" make it 90 Power and ignores the targets Defense increases).

One little thing that annoyed me recently, Serious Mints.

Right now I've got like 18 of them in my inventory, I find them in the Crown Tundra seemingly more often than any of the others. Any one of them could have been jolly or bold or something else useful. I don't think that anyone has actually used one.

They're just something that Game Freak could have just not bothered to put in the game. Although I guess we should be grateful that there aren't five different types of mints with neutral natures...

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
The Serious Mint's best use is for in game purposes if you're fortunate to run into one in the IoA and for whatever reason you got a mon you want to use that has a nature that hurts its best stats but you have no other mints since most are post game, so the Serious Mint imposes a "neutral nature" on it to let it use its otherwise hindered best stats effectively, and neutral natures are okay for in game purposes.

Yeah this sounds about right. Neutral natures aren't necessarily the worst thing, even if they aren't the best option either it's easy to see that they would want to offer the option.
someone out there probably does use neutral on purpose
FWIW a lot of mixed sweepers used by opponents in the Battle Frontier/Subway/whatever tend to be neutral, I suppose to avoid having to compromise defences or speed. I'm sure at least some people IRL think along similar lines.

Yeah this sounds about right. Neutral natures aren't necessarily the worst thing, even if they aren't the best option either it's easy to see that they would want to offer the option.
someone out there probably does use neutral on purpose
I dont get why there are so many neutral natures, would have been more normal to have just 1 neutral nature and 5 HP natures imo

I dont get why there are so many neutral natures, would have been more normal to have just 1 neutral nature and 5 HP natures imo
This is actually a programming thing. The data doesn't have a slot for "is this neutral?", only "increased stat" and "decreased stat." Neutral natures just increase and decrease the same stat, so there are five of them to correspond to the five nature-modified stats.

Single types actually work the same way: rather than having a dedicated Null type (no relation to Type:Null), single-typed mons just have both of their types the same. I'm still annoyed they changed how aggronite works in Mix and Mega from "secondary becomes Steel" to " secondary becomes same as primary."

Freeze: Only 20% chance of thawing, which is way too small, and it’s even worse back in Gen 1 and 2, which was only a mere 10%. By far the worst of the bunch. While thawed by Fire-type moves, it is too small to be a counterbalance.
I always felt like it was a missed opportunity to make freeze the opposite of burn, weakening special (and then later on spatk) and hurting each round, or literally anything else tbh.

Our current freeze is the very well known status of jrpgs, but considering how we already have sleep, and how even gamefreak themselves realized freeze is too broken to be used like you'd use status conditions and just stuck it on 10% chances of a few ice moves, it's basically a dead status, mechanic wise. It'll appear once or twice in a competitive setting since you just accumulate too many battles to not see the 10% effect activate, but all it does is cause an RNG nightmare for your foe, and it's not super fun or clutch to play around or with it

Watching False Swipe Gaming's new video of How GOOD was Charizard actually? when I realize just how screwed Charizard was on offense in Gen 1.
1626882577364.png

For comparison, Venusaur has 100 Special while Blastoise has 100 Defense, meaning Charizard gets the worst stats on both offensive and defense in exchange for having 100 Speed to either use Fire Blast and die instantly or set up Swords Dance and die instantly.
1626883083208.png

Mercifully, Gen 2 gave Charizard 109 Special Attack so it isn't the statistically least offensive fully evolved Kanto Fire Type anymore.

Last edited:
This is actually a programming thing. The data doesn't have a slot for "is this neutral?", only "increased stat" and "decreased stat." Neutral natures just increase and decrease the same stat, so there are five of them to correspond to the five nature-modified stats.

Single types actually work the same way: rather than having a dedicated Null type (no relation to Type:Null), single-typed mons just have both of their types the same. I'm still annoyed they changed how aggronite works in Mix and Mega from "secondary becomes Steel" to " secondary becomes same as primary."
Interesting didnt know that

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
To be fair, Charizard can get by on Swords Dance with its decent physical movepool in Gen 1, albeit not with Slash because of the crit mechanics in that gen.

But yeah, Gen 1 was just horrendously unkind to Charizard in all the worst ways. It has the weakest offensive and defensive prowess of the three starters, meanwhile Venusaur gets good bulk and good power while Blastoise has high physical bulk. For in-game purposes Charizard is hurt not only by its stats but also its poor level up movepool, as it doesn't learn Flamethrower until around Level 46, which is close to the end of the game, which means you're stuck with the weak Ember for a long, long time. The Fire Blast TM is also fairly late in the game too. Meanwhile Venusaur gets Razor Leaf reasonably early and given the way crits work combined with Venusaur's speed, that's a powerful move that always crits coming from Venusaur. And Blastoise can of course consistently get good STAB: it gets Bubble Beam relatively early on thanks to Misty, and it can upgrade to Surf around the mid-game which is great. That's not even to mention Charmander's inherent disadvantage against the first two gyms in RBY combined with how Fire is a pretty poor type for Kanto.

Competitively it also sucked because Fire was by far one of the worst types to use in Gen 1 competitive. Rock was considered one of the best defensive types in Gen 1 and Rhydon was a competitive juggernaut in RBY competitive, and well... you know what that entails for Charizard. Plus stuff like Starmie and Slowbro as Water-types to destroy it. Not to mention RBY UU had a lot of Water-types like Tentacruel too. Combined with only average offenses for that time period and its lack of bulk compared to others, and it was just a sad mon all around.

For such a fan favorite, Game Freak has historically been quite mean to Charizard.

Watching False Swipe Gaming's new video of How GOOD was Charizard actually? when I realize just how screwed Charizard was on offense.
View attachment 360233
For comparison, Venusaur has 100 Special while Blastoise has 100 Defense, meaning Charizard gets the worst stats on both offensive and defense in exchange for have 100 Speed to either use Fire Blast or set up Swords Dance and die instantly.
View attachment 360234
Mercifully, Gen 2 gave Charizard 109 Special Attack so it isn't the statistically least offensive fully evolved Kanto Fire Type anymore.
At least it had Fire Spin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 2)