(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I recall this guy in here a couple of years ago who'd bred a bunch of Ferroseed with good IVs, Egg Moves and Natures. Competitive-ready, so to speak. He sent them out on Wonder Trade as giveaway to anybody who would want a good Ferrothorn to use.

There was a catch, though: The Ferroseed were bred for Hidden Abilities. Which meant that they initially came with the competitively useful Iron Barbs, but upon evolution Ferrothorn would receive the useless ability Anticipation.

It's less of a trolly move now that Ability Capsules are a thing, but back then it was a beautifully evil thing to do.
Ability Capsules won't save you from shitty Hidden Abilities because they only work on Pokémon with regular Abilities.

Why did Pokemon spoil nearly all the Gen 7 pokemon? I'm still rather confused as to why they'd reveal so many pokemon. By the time I got the game, I was aware of most of the pokemon available! Sure, you can try to avoid spoilers, but it gets hard to do when pokemon fanart, videos, and discussions on the upcoming games spread like wildfire.

Why did Pokemon spoil nearly all the Gen 7 pokemon? I'm still rather confused as to why they'd reveal so many pokemon. By the time I got the game, I was aware of most of the pokemon available! Sure, you can try to avoid spoilers, but it gets hard to do when pokemon fanart, videos, and discussions on the upcoming games spread like wildfire.
Because it got people hyped for the games. Whether said hype was warranted or not is debatable, but it got people on board the hype train and spreading those fan arts and discussions like wildfire.

Because it got people hyped for the games. Whether said hype was warranted or not is debatable, but it got people on board the hype train and spreading those fan arts and discussions like wildfire.
I suppose so, but I feel it killed people's interest in it once they got the game. At the end of the day though, it really matters that copies get sold.

iirc, there were plenty of Gen VII Pokemon that Nintendo didn't spoil, they just all got spoiled anyway because Nintendo forgot to remove the pokedex images from the demo.
Right, I completely forgot about that. Maybe that's why I felt just about every mon was spoiled.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
iirc, there were plenty of Gen VII Pokemon that Nintendo didn't spoil, they just all got spoiled anyway because Nintendo forgot to remove the pokedex images from the demo.
Right, I completely forgot about that. Maybe that's why I felt just about every mon was spoiled.
To be fair, they did spoil quite a lot of the Pokemon beforehand, even aside from that. I think they spoiled at least one of every evolution line aside from Dhelmise and Alolan Geodude-line.

To be fair, they did spoil quite a lot of the Pokemon beforehand, even aside from that. I think they spoiled at least one of every evolution line aside from Dhelmise and Alolan Geodude-line.
Not sure about the Mareanie line, but yeah, nearly all lines had at least one Pokemon revealed (ignoring Necrozma as the future third cover legendary is more often than not never revealed before the first pair of games - at least, I don't remember it being the case for Kyurem and Zygarde).

Sondero

Not sure about the Mareanie line, but yeah, nearly all lines had at least one Pokemon revealed (ignoring Necrozma as the future third cover legendary is more often than not never revealed before the first pair of games - at least, I don't remember it being the case for Kyurem and Zygarde).
Unless I'm mistaken, Mareanie was shown in some TCG art, not sure if that counts or not though, as the picture was relatively blurry and it wasn't an intentional reveal

I'd be happy if they gave more pockets in the bag to sort everything in, as there are certainly WAY too many items just crammed into the main items pocket. If having too many pockets visible is the problem, then stick a few as separate inventories accessible in the Key Items pocket like what FR/LG did with Berries and TMs & HMs. Give Poke Balls their own separate pocket again. Maybe do the same with fossils and battle items. Heck, give us more free space pockets so we have the option to further organize our bags if we so choose.
Late reply, but I think you made some good points and I wanted to post my thoughts on them.

I agree that the bag needs an overhaul. If they can't have too many separate pockets, at least make the sorting function useful again. It was perfect in Gen 5 and then they had to screw it up so hard in Gen 6. They haven't even fixed it now, three game releases later. Even if you sort things by type, it is just a big mess, finding the right item can take far longer than it should. Having a better scrolling option would be great too. Once more, that is something Gen 5 did perfect which Gen 6/7 failed at.

Regarding the Mega Stones, they need to be better ordered as well. I understand that they are in Japanese alphabetical order (this was stated earlier, either in this thread or somewhere else), but why are they in Japanese order when you are playing the English version of the game? Feels like they missed this during the translation. It was okay in X/Y and OR/AS, but it should have been fixed by now.

While we're at it, I'm going to post some other things that annoy me in Pokemon.

First of all, regarding the recent discussion about Game Freak revealing too many of the new Pokemon for S/M. I agree. It made things a lot less interesting when I played through the games since I had already seen a vast majority of the new Pokemon, Alola forms and features before the release. I like being surprised by new things when playing through a new game, but that was not the case for S/M. I feel that they revealed too much for X/Y, OR/AS and US/UM too. If this pattern continues, they will probably reveal almost everything for LGP/LGE as well. Though it doesn't matter much for me since I'm not getting these games. I'm more worried that it will continue with Gen 8 though. And yes, I know that it's my own fault for looking at all of the things that they reveal before the games are released. That's why I won't look into as much from the pre-release material for Gen 8 in order to not spoil myself too much for these games. But it won't be easy. The reasons being that I spend a lot of time on Pokemon sites, this fandom isn't very good at handling spoilers, and Game Freak will probably reveal 90% of the games once more.

Onto something else. The Rotom Dex doesn't get enough hate. In S/M, when it was talking and you interacted with a NPC or did something else that darkened the touch screen, it would stop talking after a while. But this changed in US/UM. It doesn't ever stop talking when the touch screen is darkened. Combine this with how it sometimes starts talking when the touch screen always is darkened, like in the Battle Tree or during minor cutscenes in the main story. This means that it can start talking in situations where it will never stop, unless you quit what you are currently doing. Sometimes I wonder if the Rotom Dex is just glitched or if they actually programmed it this badly on purpose. I don't know which, and neither answer is good.

I said before that I don't like the SOS mechanics. I guess the main annoyance I have with them is that they are just a big waste of time. If the Pokemon calls for a partner and doesn't succeed, that still wastes a few seconds of play time. Combine this with all the times they call for a partner when you don't want them to, and the sum will be several wasted minutes if you play the games for long times. I really hope they get rid of the SOS mechanics (and the Rotom Dex too for that matter) in Gen 8. If not, I don't know what I'll do.

I have seen some people complain about the fact that it is not possible to skip cutscenes in the games. While I don't mind the story cutscenes myself, I agree that it should be possible to skip them. I would actually like them to take it one step further. I want minor cutscenes to be skippable as well. Things like when a Pokemon evolves, when an egg hatches, or when you use Fly/Charizard (especially to Poke Pelago, that's the most unnecessary thing ever). It just gets boring to see them hundreds to thousands of times. I have seen Pokemon hatching from eggs thousands of times throughout the years, right now I just want to skip the hatching animation so I can go directly to the status screen and see if it is what I wanted or if I need to continue breeding.

Of course, this should be optional so that those who want to see these animations still have the ability to do so. I can imagine shiny hunters wanting to have them on, to add another element of tension and surprise when breeding for shinies. Overall, I feel that there are several things in the Pokemon games that would be better if they were optional instead of mandatory. That way, the games could be customized to suit every player's personal choices in terms of playstyle.

On to something different. Pokemon sizes in the 3D games. Or rather Gen 7. Some Pokemon like Wailord are much smaller than they should be (realistically). Yet they had no problem making Alolan Exeggutor so tall that it barely fits on the screen. In reality, it should be smaller than Wailord which is taller than it. I haven't had a problem with Pokemon sizes before, but I do now. I haven't had a chance to compare Alolan Exeggutor to Pokemon like Mega Rayquaza or Mega Steelix which are about the same size as it, but if I were to guess, they aren't as tall as Alolan Exeggutor.

Next up, something I like. Professor Kukui has a secret identity. He's the Masked Royal. This is actually quite a cool thing. So why am I saying this here? Because this is handled terribly in the games. They literally tell you right away that the Masked Royal is Professor Kukui. I was so disappointed when I saw that. As someone who doesn't always figure out things like that, I would have preferred if they had actually kept it a secret for a bit longer or for the entire game, making it more of a mystery. Professor Kukui has a cool secret, but the execution of it in the games is just plain awful.

A very minor thing, but I find it annoying that the sound effects when you win prizes at the lotteries in Festival Plaza are the sound effects that were used when getting your Pokedex evaluated in previous generations. It just sounds so out-of-place to me and I find it annoying that they had to use just those sound effects there. They could have used different ones instead.

Something I just learned recently is that when you are riding on a Pokemon through Poke Ride, it gives you a lower chance of encountering wild Pokemon. This isn't that much of a problem for Stoutland, Mudsdale and Tauros, but it is for Lapras and Sharpedo. Why? Because in order to encounter any Pokemon while surfing, you have to use the Poke Rides to start with. This is annoying when you are looking for a specific Pokemon while surfing. I remember that it took me a long while between encounters when I was looking for Lapras in Ultra Moon, this must have been the reason. I really like the Poke Ride system on the whole, but this part of it feels flawed.

There are some Abilities that I find a bit annoying. Or rather, I am annoyed by how some Abilities are handled in the games. The most notable being Minior and Shields Down. No matter how much HP Minior has, it is always sent out in Core Form. Thus, if it has more than 50% HP, it will be sent out in Core Form but immediately change to Meteor Form. In every single battle. That is just completely unnecessary. It should be sent out in Meteor Form if it has above 50% HP and in Core Form if it is below 50% HP. It is a very minor annoyance and I have gotten used to it by now, but still. I guess Wishiwashi is in a similar situation with Schooling, but it does make more sense to me since Wishiwashi has to gather its school (or so I imagine) before it can change form.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Regarding the Mega Stones, they need to be better ordered as well. I understand that they are in Japanese alphabetical order (this was stated earlier, either in this thread or somewhere else), but why are they in Japanese order when you are playing the English version of the game? Feels like they missed this during the translation. It was okay in X/Y and OR/AS, but it should have been fixed by now.
They should be in National Dex order, an order which doesn't have a language barrier. Infact I don't know what it wasn't like that in the first place. Ordering them by letter is something done during development for ease of the developer, when it's nearing completion and it's an international game that's when you give it a more methodical listing order which ignores language issue.

First of all, regarding the recent discussion about Game Freak revealing too many of the new Pokemon for S/M. I agree. It made things a lot less interesting when I played through the games since I had already seen a vast majority of the new Pokemon, Alola forms and features before the release. I like being surprised by new things when playing through a new game, but that was not the case for S/M. I feel that they revealed too much for X/Y, OR/AS and US/UM too. If this pattern continues, they will probably reveal almost everything for LGP/LGE as well. Though it doesn't matter much for me since I'm not getting these games. I'm more worried that it will continue with Gen 8 though. And yes, I know that it's my own fault for looking at all of the things that they reveal before the games are released. That's why I won't look into as much from the pre-release material for Gen 8 in order to not spoil myself too much for these games. But it won't be easy. The reasons being that I spend a lot of time on Pokemon sites, this fandom isn't very good at handling spoilers, and Game Freak will probably reveal 90% of the games once more.
Might as well add my opinion to this topic. I generally agree, I think they revealed too much, especially since they're no releasing 100+ new Pokemon anymore. When there was 100+ then revealing 50 is no big deal, but when they're around 70 then it does. The amount of revealed Pokemon should scale with the amount of new Pokemon, not sticking with the usual number they reveal.

In addition, there are things they can keep better secret like the last stage of a 3 stage evolution family (especially with the Starters) and alternate formes. Now for some alternate formes you can't keep secret like Lycanoc, however with Oricorio they could have kept one or two of its formes secret until the game was released; there was no need for us to see all it's formes. Also with 2 stage evos I don't think it's a bad idea of showing the final stage but not the prevo, creating a mystery if its a standalone or not. It works especially well if see the final stage first in the game but then either checking the Pokedex or just looking for it in the wild you then discover it has a prevo you need to train up first. It works better with a 2 stage than 3 stage as with 3 stage its better to make the final stage the mystery as it guides player's patience. With 2 stage once you evolve it you got the Pokemon you want, but if it's a 3 stage you have two prevo to go through first and players may get impatient training up the middle stage as they want to get to the final evo they we told about. But that's just my opinion.

I only semi "blame" GF for the SM demo leak. Like they did learn from the ORAS demo leak they need to remove all that they can so rom dumpers don't discover something leftover in the files. Unfortunately they didn't cover all their bases and forgot that Shiny Pokemon got their own dex images; oops. Actually there was several things revealed than just new Pokemon. GF, you didn't have someone go through the demo's files to make sure there wasn't info you didn't want leaked?

Onto something else. The Rotom Dex doesn't get enough hate.
No, no, it does. It was poorly implemented which is a shame as it could have been really interesting as it's a Pokemon we can have an understandable conversation with. Like in USUM I quite liked the scene during the Rainbow Rocket episode where Cyrus talked with Rotom Dex fascinated by it. Yes, in theory Rotom Dex is fascinating. It's been established Pokemon can talk to each other yet Rotom is never used for that purpose or chimes in if it notices something. Like maybe when it first sees Nebby it'll note it's babbling like baby, when we encounter Nihilego in Aether Paradise note that it's speaking a language it doesn't understand, tell us what fully evolved Nebby or Necrozma is saying, or translate for any of the number of Pokemon we encountered in a side quest. Like it would be really interesting to know what the Ditto Five are thinking taking the form of people. But no, Rotom Dex is just a Navi and that's it, having no part of the story.

I want minor cutscenes to be skippable as well. Things like when a Pokemon evolves, when an egg hatches, or when you use Fly/Charizard (especially to Poke Pelago, that's the most unnecessary thing ever). It just gets boring to see them hundreds to thousands of times.

(...)

Of course, this should be optional so that those who want to see these animations still have the ability to do so.
Agreed, though I think some of those mini cutscenes are meant to hide a loading time. But they can be done quicker for sure. Maybe a "skip cutscene" prompt can appear on the bottom right of the screen when you can.

On to something different. Pokemon sizes in the 3D games. Or rather Gen 7. Some Pokemon like Wailord are much smaller than they should be (realistically). Yet they had no problem making Alolan Exeggutor so tall that it barely fits on the screen. In reality, it should be smaller than Wailord which is taller than it. I haven't had a problem with Pokemon sizes before, but I do now. I haven't had a chance to compare Alolan Exeggutor to Pokemon like Mega Rayquaza or Mega Steelix which are about the same size as it, but if I were to guess, they aren't as tall as Alolan Exeggutor.
The problem is that they wanted the trainer also on the field, but as you noted it ruins the size of some Pokemon like Wailord. They should have it so that, for some Pokemon, you just can't see them or the trainer together. Or they'd have to make a special exception with these Pokemon and have the trainer being further away than normal or even right next to the Pokemon.

Next up, something I like. Professor Kukui has a secret identity. He's the Masked Royal. This is actually quite a cool thing. So why am I saying this here? Because this is handled terribly in the games. They literally tell you right away that the Masked Royal is Professor Kukui. I was so disappointed when I saw that. As someone who doesn't always figure out things like that, I would have preferred if they had actually kept it a secret for a bit longer or for the entire game, making it more of a mystery. Professor Kukui has a cool secret, but the execution of it in the games is just plain awful.
It was meant to be a joke, though they should have either played it up more or maybe make a little mystery of are they the same or does maybe Kukui have a brother/twin he just doesn't talk about; sprinkling hints towards both (maybe have NPCs who also question it).

Something I just learned recently is that when you are riding on a Pokemon through Poke Ride, it gives you a lower chance of encountering wild Pokemon. This isn't that much of a problem for Stoutland, Mudsdale and Tauros, but it is for Lapras and Sharpedo. Why? Because in order to encounter any Pokemon while surfing, you have to use the Poke Rides to start with. This is annoying when you are looking for a specific Pokemon while surfing. I remember that it took me a long while between encounters when I was looking for Lapras in Ultra Moon, this must have been the reason. I really like the Poke Ride system on the whole, but this part of it feels flawed.
Wait, really? That has to be an oversight on Lapras's part. Like I get it for Sharpedo, but you can only surf with Lapras and Sharpedo and Lapras would be the obvious one to use for water encounters (only it can sneak up on fishing spots in the water).

There are some Abilities that I find a bit annoying. Or rather, I am annoyed by how some Abilities are handled in the games. The most notable being Minior and Shields Down. No matter how much HP Minior has, it is always sent out in Core Form. Thus, if it has more than 50% HP, it will be sent out in Core Form but immediately change to Meteor Form. In every single battle. That is just completely unnecessary. It should be sent out in Meteor Form if it has above 50% HP and in Core Form if it is below 50% HP. It is a very minor annoyance and I have gotten used to it by now, but still. I guess Wishiwashi is in a similar situation with Schooling, but it does make more sense to me since Wishiwashi has to gather its school (or so I imagine) before it can change form.
Huh? That's odd, Wild Minior always appear in Meteor Form and to know what core color it is you have to break its shield. Didn't know it was different for trainer Minior's, guessing they wanted to show off the core color just incase the other trainer is able to OHKO it?

I'd just mention that it's intended here. It's shown very well in the game that literally everyone knows he's the Masked Royale and he for some reason does not understand everyone knows.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'd just mention that it's intended here. It's shown very well in the game that literally everyone knows he's the Masked Royale and he for some reason does not understand everyone knows.
No, I think he knows, he just insists everyone who has figured it out keeps up the "illusion". Why? I don't know. Well, maybe we know? Burnet doesn't seem to realize her husband is the Masked Royal, and when she thinks it she shakes the thought away so maybe Kukui is trying to keep his double life as a pro Battle Royale battler a secret... for some reason. I don't see why Burnet would care, and it's not like Kukui is embarrassed about it.

It's not fully thought out. You know, had they have Burnet show any signs of embarrassment or annoyance at the Masked Royal's antics that would have easily explained why insist he's not the Masked Royal. But no, he just seems to be doing it because he wants to play super hero and super heroes have secret identities?

I am quite sure even Burnet hints she clearly knows he's Masked Royale in game... she even gives you the mask to give him...

Level cap for obedience for traded pokemon. I am doing a scramble and I sent over a level 1 pokemon. I haven't even hit the first gym yet and I have already hit the level cap. For Sinnoh it was 10 without any badges and 30 with two badges. I just feel like this is to restrictive and that they did not play test using a traded pokemon in Sinnoh at all. Roark's lowest leveled pokemon breaks the no badge cap, and you have to wait for Gardenia to raise it. Even then things don't get better until you get four badges where the level cap isn't a that much of a problem any more. Both Crasher Wake and Maylene have a level 30 pokemon on their team, just one level under the cap. And let's not forget traded pokemon gain exp faster, so they hit the level cap faster.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I am quite sure even Burnet hints she clearly knows he's Masked Royale in game... she even gives you the mask to give him...
No, it's Molayne who gives you the mask.

To be fair, it's not really known if she knows or not. There's only two instances where Burnet interacts/mentions the Masked Royal:

1. At the Ruins of Life, Burnet helped Lillie finds it but has to leave:
"Now I've gotta go. The Masked Royal has a match, and there's no way that I'm missing it!"
"That Masked Royal... What do you think he looks like under that mask, anyway?"
Now you can shake that off as her playing into Kukui's game in front of Lillie and the player. That is until the end of the game:

2 End of the game where everyone is having a party after you became Champion. Kukui appears as the Masked Royal temporarily and has a makeshift Battle Royal with some characters using the player's mother's Meowth to everyone's amusement. During that sequence Burnet looks at the Masked Royal curiously and sees Kukui in his place (Burnet thinking the Masked Royal looks like Kukui) but she then smiles, shakes her head, and shrugs it off (her dismissing the idea the Masked Royal is Kukui).

I don't think she knows, there's no reason for her to see a "vision" of Kukui but then shrug it off if she knew.

Also in one of the page game "postcards" in SM's credits, for the one of Kukui and Burnet you do see the Masked Royal mask hanging in the background. But since they sell replica of the Masked Royal mask, Kukui could just tell her he got one as a souvenir.

Level cap for obedience for traded pokemon. I am doing a scramble and I sent over a level 1 pokemon. I haven't even hit the first gym yet and I have already hit the level cap. For Sinnoh it was 10 without any badges and 30 with two badges. I just feel like this is to restrictive and that they did not play test using a traded pokemon in Sinnoh at all. Roark's lowest leveled pokemon breaks the no badge cap, and you have to wait for Gardenia to raise it. Even then things don't get better until you get four badges where the level cap isn't a that much of a problem any more. Both Crasher Wake and Maylene have a level 30 pokemon on their team, just one level under the cap. And let's not forget traded pokemon gain exp faster, so they hit the level cap faster.
I mean the entire point of the PK obedience level is supposed to be to stop you from using OP Pokemon (within the sense of over-leveling) to just cheese the entire game, or at least make it more difficult for you to do so. After all, it would be superbly easy to beat everything in the DP campaign with a lvl 100 Mewtwo or something that just Psystriked everything 100% of the time would it not?

Furthermore, your starter should be your highest level Pokemon if you use it regularly and don't bring in transferred Pokemon. Your starter will obey you regardless, even if you break the obedience level with it. Thus, in cases where your opponent has Pokemon above the obedience level, your starter is probably intended to be your premier Pokemon (such is the case with Roark). At least with the obedience level there is some challenge to be had if you try and bring Pokemon that are or will over-level.

Maybe if the obedience level was tied to game difficulty (such if they brought back Challenge Mode from Gen 5) then it would be plausible to tie its inclusion to the higher difficulty, but otherwise it's just a good balancing mechanic.

Sondero

I mean the entire point of the PK obedience level is supposed to be to stop you from using OP Pokemon (within the sense of over-leveling) to just cheese the entire game, or at least make it more difficult for you to do so. After all, it would be superbly easy to beat everything in the DP campaign with a lvl 100 Mewtwo or something that just Psystriked everything 100% of the time would it not?
That's fine and all, but a traded Pokemon will have obedience issues even if it's 3 levels lower than Roark's ace. Pokemon incentivices trading, so why shouldn't he be allowed to trade a Pokemon with someone else and use it at about the same level as the leaders' Ace? Hell, the obedience system doesn't even stop you from cheesing the game, as when you beat the 8th Gym, any traded Pokemon obey you, and that's right before the most challenging part of the game. So you can use a traded Level 100 Mewtwo to cheese the final boss, but you can't use a traded level 11 Oddish to challenge a boss with level 12 and 14 Pokemon?

I think the problem here is more or less how it's executed, not the system itself. If you were allowed to go up to, say, level 20 for the start and then it went up about 5 levels for every badge, there wouldn't be much of a problem. As is you start off extremely low and end extremely high with little good in-between -- Sabrina's Marsh Badge in Kanto lets you go up to Level 70 for traded Pokémon. That's way higher than even the Champion's highest level Pokémon.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
USM did an alright job in terms of what levels each stamp allows, although they're still a little high. Level 20 until after Hala is a bit higher than his ace but not overwhelmingly so, up to 35 is reasonable for Olivia although again somewhat high, 50 until after Nanu is fine, and 65 until after Hapu is still a bit high but about right. Level 80 until after the league is obviously high enough to stomp the league's faces in, but it does mean no level 100 stomp at least.

USM did an alright job in terms of what levels each stamp allows, although they're still a little high. Level 20 until after Hala is a bit higher than his ace but not overwhelmingly so, up to 35 is reasonable for Olivia although again somewhat high, 50 until after Nanu is fine, and 65 until after Hapu is still a bit high but about right. Level 80 until after the league is obviously high enough to stomp the league's faces in, but it does mean no level 100 stomp at least.
Oh, I actually didn't realise the levels in Alola before. That seems about perfect!

They should be in National Dex order, an order which doesn't have a language barrier. Infact I don't know what it wasn't like that in the first place. Ordering them by letter is something done during development for ease of the developer, when it's nearing completion and it's an international game that's when you give it a more methodical listing order which ignores language issue.
This is a very good idea. It makes sense and there's no way it will be screwed up in the translation process (unless they do it on purpose).

Might as well add my opinion to this topic. I generally agree, I think they revealed too much, especially since they're no releasing 100+ new Pokemon anymore. When there was 100+ then revealing 50 is no big deal, but when they're around 70 then it does. The amount of revealed Pokemon should scale with the amount of new Pokemon, not sticking with the usual number they reveal.
I have thought about this too. Using Serebii as a source, they revealed 55 out of 156 new Pokemon for B/W. That is slightly more than a third, which I think is just fine. Then they showed 42 out of 72 for X/Y, about 58%, a little too much if you ask me. They only showed 13 out of 28 Mega Evolutions though, which I think is just fine. Then they revealed all new Megas in OR/AS, (the Lati@s were already known about since they were in the coding for X/Y), as well as both Primals. This was way too much, the only thing left to reveal afterwards was Hoopa's new form. For S/M, they showed 62 of the regular Pokemon and 5 Ultra Beasts for a total of 67 out of 81. That is over 80% and way too many. They also revealed 15 out of 18 Alola Forms. Again, way too many. Finally, for US/UM, they revealed every new Pokemon and form apart from Naganadel, Zeraora and Ultra Necrozma. Note that I just counted quickly so some of these numbers might be incorrect. Either way, I think they have revealed too much lately, which is why I won't look into the pre-release material for Gen 8 and the future as much as I have done recently. I also agree that they shouldn't always reveal all new alternate forms either, keeping some of them secret would be better.

Agreed, though I think some of those mini cutscenes are meant to hide a loading time. But they can be done quicker for sure. Maybe a "skip cutscene" prompt can appear on the bottom right of the screen when you can.
That's pretty much what I want as well.

The problem is that they wanted the trainer also on the field, but as you noted it ruins the size of some Pokemon like Wailord. They should have it so that, for some Pokemon, you just can't see them or the trainer together. Or they'd have to make a special exception with these Pokemon and have the trainer being further away than normal or even right next to the Pokemon.
I didn't think that showing the trainer as well was part of the problem, but maybe it is. This isn't super important to me though, I was just a bit annoyed by the size of Alolan Exeggutor compared to some other big Pokemon.

It was meant to be a joke, though they should have either played it up more or maybe make a little mystery of are they the same or does maybe Kukui have a brother/twin he just doesn't talk about; sprinkling hints towards both (maybe have NPCs who also question it).
Joke or not, I still think it could have been handled much better. There are other jokes in the games which they have handled quite well, yet they failed so hard with this one.

Wait, really? That has to be an oversight on Lapras's part. Like I get it for Sharpedo, but you can only surf with Lapras and Sharpedo and Lapras would be the obvious one to use for water encounters (only it can sneak up on fishing spots in the water).
According to Serebii at least. I first saw it here and here. Now that you say it, I agree that it feels like a mistake.

Huh? That's odd, Wild Minior always appear in Meteor Form and to know what core color it is you have to break its shield. Didn't know it was different for trainer Minior's, guessing they wanted to show off the core color just incase the other trainer is able to OHKO it?
I have used Minior in both Moon and Ultra Moon, so I know. Maybe they wanted to show the color, but I just find it somewhat unnecessary.

And while we're at it, I have one more annoyance. I don't like the fishing mechanics in Pokemon games. Or one thing about them. Namely the "Nothing appears to be biting" message. The game decides when it is time to stop fishing, not the player, which is really annoying. I have no idea about how to fix this though, other than changing it so that the game does not ever stop you from fishing unless you do so yourself. R/S/E made some attempts to make fishing a bit more skill-based (which partly lives on as you still have to press the A button within a time frame in order to get the bait) but I'm not sure if that's something I want to see expanded on.

Onto something else. The Rotom Dex doesn't get enough hate. In S/M, when it was talking and you interacted with a NPC or did something else that darkened the touch screen, it would stop talking after a while. But this changed in US/UM. It doesn't ever stop talking when the touch screen is darkened. Combine this with how it sometimes starts talking when the touch screen always is darkened, like in the Battle Tree or during minor cutscenes in the main story. This means that it can start talking in situations where it will never stop, unless you quit what you are currently doing. Sometimes I wonder if the Rotom Dex is just glitched or if they actually programmed it this badly on purpose. I don't know which, and neither answer is good.
I personally find it highly ironic that around the same time the Zelda series finally got rid of their obnoxious companion characters, that's when Game Freak decides that that is exactly what the Pokemon series needs. I mean, yeah, those two game series are pretty different, but they're both on Nintendo systems. You'd figure the devs at Nintendo would learn from the backlash that Skyward Sword's Fi got and put a stop to the Rotom Dex for that precise reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)