(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

So I've been going to through the staff of GameFreak, and I'm dissapointed that there aren't more references to Spin-Off games. Not only did Creatures Inc make the Ranger Series and Detective Pikachu, but they also handeled the Modeling for XY of all the Pokemon Characters. GF owes them a lot. The least they could do is put some references in the Main Series, since Ranger and Detective Pikachu take place in the same world as the core RPGs they could at least make some reference. But the only references I've seen are the Wondercards for Pokemon obtained in Ranger. But instead, we get a bunch of anime references, which isn't even canon to the games.
I've been finding this extremely noticeable in Smash, as well. Despite the impressive extensive lists of music tracks and spirits - and in past games, trophies - there's nothing from PMD, nothing from Pokken, nothing from Ranger; nothing from anything but the main games. The spirits themselves don't even include trainers!
It's a very painful oddity, and one of the peculiarities Pokémon's representation in Smash has.

Last edited:
. But instead, we get a bunch of anime references, which isn't even canon to the games.
This is the part that annoys me the most. Like in Smash...
Dialga's Fight to the Finish? Nah, who wants to fight with such a great track playing.
Ash-Greninja? Obviously that must appear, it's everything Greninja must be remembered for nowadays.

And yes, stuff from Mystery Dungeon or Pokkén would be cool too. But GameFreak treats the spinoffs like the redheaded stepchild. Meanwhile the Mario Spinoffs get plenty of love....

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not only did Creatures Inc make the Ranger Series and Detective Pikachu, but they also handeled the Modeling for XY of all the Pokemon Characters. GF owes them a lot. The least they could do is put some references in the Main Series, since Ranger and Detective Pikachu take place in the same world as the core RPGs they could at least make some reference. But the only references I've seen are the Wondercards for Pokemon obtained in Ranger. But instead, we get a bunch of anime references, which isn't even canon to the games.
I've been finding this extremely noticeable in Smash, as well. Despite the impressive extensive lists of music tracks and spirits - and in past games, trophies - there's nothing from PMD, nothing from Pokken, nothing from PMD; nothing from anything but the main games. The spirits themselves don't even include trainers!
Dialga's Fight to the Finish? Nah, who wants to fight with such a great track playing.
Ash-Greninja? Obviously that must appear, it's everything Greninja must be remembered for nowadays.

And yes, stuff from Mystery Dungeon or Pokkén would be cool too. But GameFreak treats the spinoffs like the redheaded stepchild. Meanwhile the Mario Spinoffs get plenty of love....
This may not be on Game Freak's part (at least when it comes to Smash) but the Pokemon Company. I'm watching Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of Yoshi's Woolly World and, for that episode's Amiibo wool Yoshi pattern, he scans in the Pikachu Amiibo... and it came up as the generic Yoshi Amiibo. Turns out, NONE of the Pokemon Amiibo gives Yoshi a pattern to look like them. They have a costume for Mega Man and Sonic, properties Nintendo doesn't own, but not for Pokemon. And this isn't the first time something odd like this happened. In Mario Maker, while it does have sprites for Pokemon characters, they use generic sound effects while every other character uses sound effects from their game series. Animal Crossing is filled with references to Nintendo's other popular games... except for Pokemon (it wasn't until the Animal Crossing spin off, Pocket Camp, did they get anything Pokemon-related and it was a few day Event advertising Let's Go with only furniture based on Poke Balls and Eevee).

Now, according to Chuggaaconroy, the reason for at least the Woolly World exclusion is because the designers couldn't properly represent the Pokemon characters via Yoshi's shape. However considering every other Amiibo character (released before the game) has a Yoshi pattern this is rather a weak excuse. While not finding anything official, there was a Reddit thread originally leading to the same article I assumed Chuggaaconroy read and what I get from the comments is that the blame may be more on Pokemon Company being very over protective of the Pokemon property. Seems like Pokemon Company's leading philosophy is that if Pokemon isn't taking center stage, you're getting little if not nothing from them.

There's no Pokemon costumes in Yoshi's Woolly World because the designers couldn't properly make a design that Pokemon Company would approve of.
There's no Pokemon sound effects in Mario Maker because they're only making a cameo appearance with all the other Amiibo characters. Infact the only reason they have anything Pokemon is because it's a Mario game and they would look bad not giving them something.
Animal Crossing gets nothing because anything Pokemon would be a super casual cameo appearance. Only reason Pocket Camp got a Pokemon Event is to advertise Pokemon Let's Go (Eevee). And while they could have only done it in Pocket Camp is because it was the latest Animal Crossing game out, considering the apparent pettiness TPC is showing they allowed it for Pocket Camp because it's a spin-off of Animal Crossing thus not have as many players as a normal Animal Crossing.

This leads us back to why Smash only has music for the core series, why do the games not reference many of the spin-offs, and the anime has a notable presence in the games: if Pokemon Company (or Game Freak, they're complicit in this too) doesn't directly control or oversee it they prefer to keep it its own separate thing. They may contractually own the spin-offs, but since GF didn't make it its not considered part of the Pokemon's brand vision. The anime is a special case as it's controlled by the Pokemon Company and it pushes merchandise more than the spin-offs do. That could also be why you don't see Pokemon Special/Adventure manga referenced that often either; while critically praised as being better than the anime it not only doesn't push merchandise but also because it's published by Shogakukan, a Japanese media distributor.

Trying to put it in an analogy, let's say the entire Pokemon franchise is like a tree. GF and the core series are the roots. TPC and everything they have complete control over (such as the anime) are the trunk. Finally the spin-offs, manga, and even the non-main anime shorts (Origins and Generations) are seen as branches. The branches obviously connect to the trunk (what TPC controls), but they (theoretically) do not intersect with each other. In addition they cannot exist without the trunk, but the trunk can exist without them so it does not need to be concerned with the branches. Meanwhile the roots (GF and the core series) keeps on doing what they do, only really interacting with the trunk/TPC.

This may not be on Game Freak's part (at least when it comes to Smash) but the Pokemon Company. I'm watching Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of Yoshi's Woolly World and, for that episode's Amiibo wool Yoshi pattern, he scans in the Pikachu Amiibo... and it came up as the generic Yoshi Amiibo. Turns out, NONE of the Pokemon Amiibo gives Yoshi a pattern to look like them. They have a costume for Mega Man and Sonic, properties Nintendo doesn't own, but not for Pokemon. And this isn't the first time something odd like this happened. In Mario Maker, while it does have sprites for Pokemon characters, they use generic sound effects while every other character uses sound effects from their game series. Animal Crossing is filled with references to Nintendo's other popular games... except for Pokemon (it wasn't until the Animal Crossing spin off, Pocket Camp, did they get anything Pokemon-related and it was a few day Event advertising Let's Go with only furniture based on Poke Balls and Eevee).

Now, according to Chuggaaconroy, the reason for at least the Woolly World exclusion is because the designers couldn't properly represent the Pokemon characters via Yoshi's shape. However considering every other Amiibo character (released before the game) has a Yoshi pattern this is rather a weak excuse. While not finding anything official, there was a Reddit thread originally leading to the same article I assumed Chuggaaconroy read and what I get from the comments is that the blame may be more on Pokemon Company being very over protective of the Pokemon property. Seems like Pokemon Company's leading philosophy is that if Pokemon isn't taking center stage, you're getting little if not nothing from them.

There's no Pokemon costumes in Yoshi's Woolly World because the designers couldn't properly make a design that Pokemon Company would approve of.
There's no Pokemon sound effects in Mario Maker because they're only making a cameo appearance with all the other Amiibo characters. Infact the only reason they have anything Pokemon is because it's a Mario game and they would look bad not giving them something.
Animal Crossing gets nothing because anything Pokemon would be a super casual cameo appearance. Only reason Pocket Camp got a Pokemon Event is to advertise Pokemon Let's Go (Eevee). And while they could have only done it in Pocket Camp is because it was the latest Animal Crossing game out, considering the apparent pettiness TPC is showing they allowed it for Pocket Camp because it's a spin-off of Animal Crossing thus not have as many players as a normal Animal Crossing.

This leads us back to why Smash only has music for the core series, why do the games not reference many of the spin-offs, and the anime has a notable presence in the games: if Pokemon Company (or Game Freak, they're complicit in this too) doesn't directly control or oversee it they prefer to keep it its own separate thing. They may contractually own the spin-offs, but since GF didn't make it its not considered part of the Pokemon's brand vision. The anime is a special case as it's controlled by the Pokemon Company and it pushes merchandise more than the spin-offs do. That could also be why you don't see Pokemon Special/Adventure manga referenced that often either; while critically praised as being better than the anime it not only doesn't push merchandise but also because it's published by Shogakukan, a Japanese media distributor.

Trying to put it in an analogy, let's say the entire Pokemon franchise is like a tree. GF and the core series are the roots. TPC and everything they have complete control over (such as the anime) are the trunk. Finally the spin-offs, manga, and even the non-main anime shorts (Origins and Generations) are seen as branches. The branches obviously connect to the trunk (what TPC controls), but they (theoretically) do not intersect with each other. In addition they cannot exist without the trunk, but the trunk can exist without them so it does not need to be concerned with the branches. Meanwhile the roots (GF and the core series) keeps on doing what they do, only really interacting with the trunk/TPC.
Interesting. That may also explain why Pokemon seems to be the only franchise to lack Amiibo compatibillity in its Core series games. Maybe its because of the Pokemon Company's fear that if they allow Amiibo compatibility, Pokemon will fall out of favor for those games being shown, and thus not allowing GF to put Amiibo compatibillity in the game.

Yyyyup. It's frustrating that there's so much commercial grasp over what can and cannot be referenced; prioritising The Brand tm instead of bringing together what people love. We could do with the company getting in some fresh blood who understand this better.

tpcievenfaster.png

Interesting. That may also explain why Pokemon seems to be the only franchise to lack Amiibo compatibillity in its Core series games. Maybe its because of the Pokemon Company's fear that if they allow Amiibo compatibility, Pokemon will fall out of favor for those games being shown, and thus not allowing GF to put Amiibo compatibillity in the game.
I did always find it strange that of all series, Pokémon is the big one to not embrace Amiibo in just about any form even though it would undoubtedly be a goldmine for them. Outside of the Smash Amiibo; the only Pokémon Amiibo to have been produced were that big Detective Pikachu one and the early run Pokkén Shadow Mewtwo card. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem... all have at least attempted some larger line of Amiibo outside of Smash, and yet Pokémon continues to have cold feet.

By the by, to add another couple games to the list with large amiibo compatibility that Pokémon doesn't partake in: Mario Kart 8/Deluxe and Miitopia. Both allow you to scan Amiibo to have costumes for your characters based on a large variety of franchises; from Zelda to Animal Crossing to Pikmin to Earthbound. And you guessed it: not even a Pikachu costume for either.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It annoys me that Tyranitar is the only pseudo-legendary that doesn't appear towards the end of the game it debuted in, in any of the major battles, especially it not being seen at all in the GSC/HGSS Elite Four, not even by the Champion. Every pseudo-legendary that exists was seen in their debuting generation games towards the end of the game in a major battle: Dragonite was the ace Pokemon of Lance in the Kanto games and he was the last E4 member, Salamence was also the main of Drake in RSE/ORAS (last E4), Metagross was Steven's main (Champion), Garchomp was Cynthia's main, Hydreigon was used in the end of the game as Ghetsis's main in BW1, and Iris used one in BW2, Diantha had a Goodra as her secondary ace to an extent, and Kommo-o appeared in SM/USM as the last/second-to-last Totem Pokemon to appear.

You see what I'm getting at? Every pseudo-legendary except Tyranitar had the privilege of being a Pokemon appearing in a major battle towards the end of the game, often being the main of either an E4 member or the Champion of the region they debuted in. It sort of boosts their appeal as a sort of "end-game boss" Pokemon that proves among the toughest opponents to face as you approach being the Champion: their high BSTs and movepools help with that too, making them have a role as that powerful, legendary-esque Pokemon who has the capacity to be an immense threat to your team when you are close to finishing the game. It sort of gives a meaning to introducing a pseudo-legendary each generation as a powerhouse that you will inevitably see in the Pokemon League or towards the end of the Island Challenge in Kommo-o's case.

And it bothers me. I am pretty gutted and annoyed that Tyranitar is Johto's pseudo-legendary, and yet you ever don't see it used as a major boss Pokemon against any of the Johto Pokemon League. I love Tyranitar a lot, and I think as Gold and Silver's pseudo it's a massive shame it's not a main Pokemon that is the major powerhouse of the penultimate or ultimate Trainer you face in that game, which is what makes the high power level of the pseudos more justified and meaningful in my book when it comes to in-game. What's worse is that Johto's Pokemon League is set up almost perfectly for Tyranitar to make an appearance amongst their teams. Karen is the last Elite Four member in the Johto League: and her type specialty is Dark, which is a type Tyranitar happens to possess. They could've easily made Karen's ace Pokemon a Tyranitar! Okay, it would've been underleveled given their levels are in the 40's: but come on, in that same league, Lance, the Champion, has three underleveled Dragonites. And they've put in underleveled Pokemon in major battles on many occasions. Still, Karen is the penultimate "boss Trainer" of GSC/HGSS and her type specialty matches one of Tyranitar's own types: it would've been perfect for her to use Tyranitar akin to Lance's Dragonite in the Kanto games or Drake's Salamence in the Hoenn ones, and make Karen being the final E4 member much more meaningful. But nope! Heck, even Lance could've had a Tyranitar on his team, given even though it's not a Dragon-type: it's still a reptilian/draconic Pokemon despite its typing and he uses stuff like Charizard and Gyarados which aren't Dragon-type either. Such a missed opportunity on both ends for Tyranitar to make an appearance: Karen creates such a perfect opportunity to put in a Tyranitar amongst the Pokemon League teams, and they didn't take it.

Now I like the Johto games a lot, especially HGSS, since I love the sheer amount of content the Johto games give (there's sooo much to do in these games and it's a heck of a lot of fun). But the fact that they introduced a pseudo-legendary like the others, but it gets almost no representation in the games, let alone as a Pokemon owned by a major Trainer, still annoys me to this day, especially since every other pseudo-legendary appeared at least once in the Pokemon League/end-game/end of Island Challenge which I think is the point of introducing a new pseudo-legendary each generation in the first place. Tyranitar really got shafted in the Johto games and it makes me sad that it's the only pseudo-legendary that didn't get the privilege of being an ace Pokemon of the Pokemon League, especially since Johto's league had just the right E4 and Champion setup for Tyranitar to show up there. Such a missed opportunity, and one they should have taken in my book.

Yeah agreed. It’s one of the most egregious of many weird distribution/teambuilding decisions in GSC/HGSS. Another example: half of the Johto leaders have zero Johto Pokémon on their teams (Falkner, Bugsy, Morty, and Chuck).

Falkner could have had a Hoothoot instead of his Pidgey, or maybe his ace could’ve been a Murkrow! That would’ve been cool.

The only Johto Bug-type that can learn Fury Cutter in GSC (besides Scizor) is Heracross, which seems like it would have been a perfectly good replacement for Scyther. Otherwise, just subbing the cocoons out for stuff like Pineco or Ledyba or Spinarak would’ve helped.

Morty’s only other option would’ve been a Misdreavus, a Pokémon which might as well not exist in GSC/HGSS given how you never see one unless you happen to traverse Mt Silver at night. Weird missed opportunity there.

Chuck’s a bit tricky because neither Hitmontop nor Heracross can learn Dynamic Punch, so I’m a bit stuck there.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sinnoh probably wont get a remake.
I'd at least wait until Nintendo announced the successor to the Switch before saying that. Remember we get a remake every console not every generation (though we gotta see what they consider Let's Go as, hopefully as its own series).

I did always find it strange that of all series, Pokémon is the big one to not embrace Amiibo in just about any form even though it would undoubtedly be a goldmine for them.
I have to wonder if this was mainly due to the Pokemon games being on the handhelds up till now. But now the games are going to be on the main console which has built-in Amiibo compatibility we'll see if this changes.

Though in what form? Sure the easiest thing to do would be Amiibo based on Pokemon, but what Pokemon? The popular Pokemon? Pokemon they're going to push for that generation? Maybe instead focus on the human characters, there's less of them and they usually don't get merch made of them so would be a nice way to give something significant for them (maybe even have their signature Pokemon with them). As for all the other Pokemon, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to go the way of Animal Crossing and instead have special Amiibo cards, maybe even combine them with the TCG to give a boost to those sales.

It annoys me that Tyranitar is the only pseudo-legendary that doesn't appear towards the end of the game it debuted in, in any of the major battles, especially it not being seen at all in the GSC/HGSS Elite Four, not even by the Champion.
Actually you know who would have been even better to have Tyranitar than a member of the Elite Four/Champion? The Gen II rival, Silver. He doesn't really have a signature Pokemon, at best its either the Starter, Crobat to emphasize his character development, or Sneasel. However, instead of a Sneasel I'd say they should have him have stolen a Larvitar. Then maybe have some moments where he would complain how weak it is, like one moment I can see him mentioning it would be at the Rocket HQ under the Lake of Rage, in addition mentioning he lost to Lance he would say he used Pupitar. Then when he gets his character development, not only would this show with his Golbat evolving into Crobat, it'll show him having taken the time to train his Pupitar into a Tyranitar.

This would also free up Sneasel to be on Karen's team who needs more Dark-types, probably replacing Gengar as that's Morty's Signature Pokemon.

I'd at least wait until Nintendo announced the successor to the Switch before saying that. Remember we get a remake every console not every generation (though we gotta see what they consider Let's Go as, hopefully as its own series).

I have to wonder if this was mainly due to the Pokemon games being on the handhelds up till now. But now the games are going to be on the main console which has built-in Amiibo compatibility we'll see if this changes.

Though in what form? Sure the easiest thing to do would be Amiibo based on Pokemon, but what Pokemon? The popular Pokemon? Pokemon they're going to push for that generation? Maybe instead focus on the human characters, there's less of them and they usually don't get merch made of them so would be a nice way to give something significant for them (maybe even have their signature Pokemon with them). As for all the other Pokemon, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to go the way of Animal Crossing and instead have special Amiibo cards, maybe even combine them with the TCG to give a boost to those sales.

Actually you know who would have been even better to have Tyranitar than a member of the Elite Four/Champion? The Gen II rival, Silver. He doesn't really have a signature Pokemon, at best its either the Starter, Crobat to emphasize his character development, or Sneasel. However, instead of a Sneasel I'd say they should have him have stolen a Larvitar. Then maybe have some moments where he would complain how weak it is, like one moment I can see him mentioning it would be at the Rocket HQ under the Lake of Rage, in addition mentioning he lost to Lance he would say he used Pupitar. Then when he gets his character development, not only would this show with his Golbat evolving into Crobat, it'll show him having taken the time to train his Pupitar into a Tyranitar.

This would also free up Sneasel to be on Karen's team who needs more Dark-types, probably replacing Gengar as that's Morty's Signature Pokemon.
I was thinking more like clothing. You know, when you scan Princess Peach's Amiibo, you unlock clothing for Peach. Of course, the problem with that some clothing is designed for girl's ( like Zelda ) and I don't think Pokemon is willing to allow cross-dressing anytime soon.

What they could do is that similar to Smash, you could save a fighter on the Amiibo, maybe you could "save" a Pokemon on it and when you scan it into another game, you can use it in that game. The problem though is that it kinda defeats the point of trading I suppose.

At the very least, scanning Amiibo can unlock you items like in Fire Emblem Warriors and Breath of the Wild.

It annoys me that Tyranitar is the only pseudo-legendary that doesn't appear towards the end of the game it debuted in, in any of the major battles, especially it not being seen at all in the GSC/HGSS Elite Four, not even by the Champion.
If it makes you feel any better, your rival uses a Tyranitar (replacing his Rhydon) when you refight him in FR/LG. But yeah, other than that I don't think T-Tar's gotten really any representation, like, at all.

Tyranitar is my favourite Pokemon, but I quite like that it wasn't shown off. It kind of fits the whole Johto theme, like it being secretive explains why no-one knew about it in RBY even though the region was right next door.

When you start your GS adventure you're met with the familiar pidgey and rattata, and when the new Johto pokes show up they feel special. Tyranitar sort of feels like that, like its something that you, the player, have discovered.

I'm not sure I explained that well :P

Tyranitar is my favourite Pokemon, but I quite like that it wasn't shown off. It kind of fits the whole Johto theme, like it being secretive explains why no-one knew about it in RBY even though the region was right next door.

When you start your GS adventure you're met with the familiar pidgey and rattata, and when the new Johto pokes show up they feel special. Tyranitar sort of feels like that, like its something that you, the player, have discovered.

I'm not sure I explained that well :P
Eh, maybe, but I still like the times when the pseudo-legendary is shown off, but not necessarily how to get to it. Like Salamence and Metagross get shown off, but not necessarily Bagon and Beldum. (the latter even being a reward of sorts for returning to Steven's house in the post-game)

I was thinking more like clothing. You know, when you scan Princess Peach's Amiibo, you unlock clothing for Peach. Of course, the problem with that some clothing is designed for girl's ( like Zelda ) and I don't think Pokemon is willing to allow cross-dressing anytime soon.
I’m sure I’ve ranted about this before, but the way your character’s gender is handled in the games with customization is just so terrible. There’s basically no way to be a guy with long hair or a girl with short hair, half the time girls are required to carry a purse, lots of great clothing options are gender-locked, and all of it is so POINTLESS. The art style in these games has never been distinct and the PCs are pre-pubescent anyways. Skip the gender question completely, just ask us what we look like and move on. If I want a buzz cut, give it to me, and if I want a skirt, let me wear it. Doing it their way is actually harder.

There's some pretty obvious candidates off the bat, if you're starting a new generation. The three starters and the cover legends would make an easy first wave or two. Then you've also got a handful of Pokémon at the center stage of a new mechanic; and of course new amiibo of the likes of Pikachu, Lucario and the Kanto Starters.
Amiibo Cards is so mind-blowingly obvious for Pokémon that it's astounding there hasn't been anything of the sort yet. They could even tie it in to the TCG somehow.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Blue also had one in the FRLG rematches:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Blue_(game)#Rematch

Still, it's strange for a pseudo to be more prominent in REMATCHES than an initial final battle.
Well for FRLG it makes sense as the main game tries to restrict itself to the Gen I Pokemon for the main story. Guess they could have given him it in HGSS though they'd probably first want him to have his "original" team (minus his Starter) for the initial battle.

For an initial battle, it was pretty much either Karen or Silver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 3)