(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
TODAY ya boy will truly jump the shark and compare pokemon to super smash bros ultimate

so i think that pokemon has gotten too successful for its own good, as my man codraroll has put it in several eloquent posts. however, i mean the term in a different way.

there are over 800 pokemon now. that's a lot. all of them are carefully designed visually, thematically, and (less carefully) competitively. i think this is by far the biggest resource pokemon has as a game at this point-- there are so many well designed mons that people are gonna have a lot of favorites. even outside fan favorite mons like the starters and eeveelutions, each person is going to have a pretty sizable pool of mons they like the designs of. you have the specialized, calm alakazam. you have the excellent bananasaur tropius. you have the twisted, super powerful dragalge. you have the SICK LEGENDARIES like necrozma and thundurus t.

the problem is, the pokemon company doesn't know what to do with this asset. they just keep sending us on the same linear adventure, over and over again, and i think that there's so much potential that they haven't used here.

"gotta catch 'em all" just doesn't work as a motto anymore, because "catching them all" is boring and unfulfilling when you have 800 mons to catch. people don't want to catch 'em all. people want to use 'em all. people want to see what each pokemon has to offer (with varying degrees of competitive knowledge), not just catch them, give them some experience, and be done with it. people want gym/e4/champion battles to be full of mons that actually do different things, instead of gf just getting lazy, giving them a bunch of high base power moves, and calling it a day.

let's look at super smash bros ultimate. i don't have the game so can't speak from experience. but from what i know, there's a story mode and stuff where you get to unlock all the characters, there's ai that's actually decent at the game, and there's competitive play that's decently accessible for new players.

now when you look at pokemon again, it has these things. there's a story mode where you catch mons, there's competitive play. but for the most part, there's no ai that's actually decent at the game.

however, there is one place where you can find decent ai. that place is the battle tree. (yeah i know the tree ai is dumb, but it at least offers competition.)

now i, and other people, have ranted about there not being multiple facilities anymore for a long time now. but for what it is, the battle tree is honestly pretty well done. singles and doubles are both cool, and you can change the music that plays during games too. the sets are pretty diverse. you can use the mons you like to their full potential here. this is the best place to play the "actual game" short of playing other people.

the problem, of course, is the fact that 90% of the time (maybe less if you have long streaks in tree), you're not playing the actual game. you're just catching stuff or breeding or ev training or level grinding your mons. the level 100 bottle cap limit is garbage. the game gives you the freedom to use almost any of the 800+ mons available to you, but at the same time, there's this absurd time barrier that you have to get through before you even get to use them. it's like if you had to go through a backstory for each character to unlock special and smash attacks in smash ultimate, except instead of carefully crafted content you just hold down b and spin around the circle pad and mindlessly knock out wild mons on poni island.

it's bad.

because of all this, you're literally discouraged from using anything you don't already have. i want to have an alakazam, and a tropius, and a dragalge, and a thundurus t that can all hold their own in competitive mons, but it would literally take hours to get just one of them. there's some dude who plays battle tree that has a whole army of trick room pokemon and randomly selects mons from the army to use. that sounds super cool to me, but i just don't have the huge amount of time or motivation to do all of that. but in smash, you can use whatever character you want, whenever you want, with the only barrier being your own skill with them. and even then, i'd rather grind out tech skill for hours in melee than breed, because with the tech skill i'm actually improving at the game, while breeding is just the game lifting this completely arbitrary barrier and not increasing my skill level or understanding whatsoever.

the worst part is that if gamefreak made ivs/egg moves/natures/evs more easily adjustable, they could literally have you playing the actual game right from the beginning of your adventure. "increase your pokemon's latent values with this special drink!" "you have 157 evs total, use the slider bars to adjust how much is invested in which stat." "your pokemon looks to have mostly physical moves, but it has a timid nature. would you like to change that?" but instead, they insist on locking it behind hours of work that goes against the point of playing a game at all. and this is the reason why the vast majority of people who've played pokemon don't have the slightest idea how it works competitively, because this incompetent game company flat out refuses to teach them. just imagine how much bigger this community would be if the games made the slightest effort to be actually accessible instead of "cool i only have to spend 3 hours now instead of 4...wait nvm they removed blissey bases and hordes, back to 4 then"

thats why pokemon sucks.

thanks for reading

One thing I'd like to note is that if Natures are to changeable, then they would need to be renamed to something else, as forcibly changing a "living" thing's disposition is just... morally wrong. Then again, competitive Pokemon basically already encourages eugenics, so maybe it wouldn't be so out of place.

I heard some people say you can just breed non-legends over and over again to get the right nature and then raise them in Poke Pelago, but this is too time consuming and grindy for my liking. One thing I found interesting is that in Let's Go, there are certain NPCs that change the natures of your Pokemon. The ethics aside, I think that this is actually a pretty neat feature.

Of course, going even further to 'dumb down' the process of raising a competitive Pokemon to increase accessibility will probably upset certain people, but I think it might be needed to reduce the grindy aspect of it all. How exactly would this be accomplished though? You could do what many ROM hacks have done and put in certain areas which have Pokemon that are good for achieving specific EVs, but again this leads to the problem of constantly tapping A over and over. Minigames to raise EVs perhaps? I wouldn't go as far as to say "create this NPC that instantly maxes out your EVs and level", but still.

Finding a solution to this issue while still keeping in mind that these are RPGs is difficult.

I heard some people say you can just breed non-legends over and over again to get the right nature and then raise them in Poke Pelago, but this is too time consuming and grindy for my liking. One thing I found interesting is that in Let's Go, there are certain NPCs that change the natures of your Pokemon. The ethics aside, I think that this is actually a pretty neat feature.

Of course, going even further to 'dumb down' the process of raising a competitive Pokemon to increase accessibility will probably upset certain people, but I think it might be needed to reduce the grindy aspect of it all. How exactly would this be accomplished though? You could do what many ROM hacks have done and put in certain areas which have Pokemon that are good for achieving specific EVs, but again this leads to the problem of constantly tapping A over and over. Minigames to raise EVs perhaps? I wouldn't go as far as to say "create this NPC that instantly maxes out your EVs and level", but still.

Finding a solution to this issue while still keeping in mind that these are RPGs is difficult.
They don't change it, they just allow you to catch a Pokemon with that nature for a day.

Battle Agency allows you to experiment with new Pokemon and strategies without having to go through all the grinding.

Considering that I find that pretty fun, anything that would make creating competitive mons in-game easier would be welcome.

They'll probably get rid of it next gen. :D

Battle Agency allows you to experiment with new Pokemon and strategies without having to go through all the grinding.

Considering that I find that pretty fun, anything that would make creating competitive mons in-game easier would be welcome.

Problem with Battle Agency is that you need friends to complete it, otherwise the battles become almost impossible to do.

Honestly, Natures are easy enough to catch/synchronize/breed. Even just randomly, as long as the mon isn’t miserable to catch you can find a positive nature quickly enough just through spamming balls. EVs you can supertrain for, though I do think the system needs a bit of refinement*. IVs are the real issue. 6 stats, assigned randomly, with random inheritance when bred and no easy way to check them? That’s basically the worst possible design for respecting your users. I expect that out of terrible mobile games that you pay to get around, not out of a AAA multiplayer title.

*tbh I really wish there was an easy way to lock an EV so it didn’t increase so you didn’t have to worry about wasting EVs when grinding levels.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
6 stats, assigned randomly, with random inheritance when bred and no easy way to check them? That’s basically the worst possible design for respecting your users. I expect that out of terrible mobile games that you pay to get around, not out of a AAA multiplayer title.
Sun/Moon basically addressed all those issues with the IVs. In the post game, you unlock the ability to basically see the IVs of your Pokemon in the PC represented by the usual stat hexagon. And you also have access to Hyper Training, where you can spend bottle caps to train the Pokemon to make its stats act as if their IVs are 31 without changing the actual IV. Bottle caps are relatively easily obtainable collectibles if you know how to farm them (I'd say they're about as rare as Rare candies or PP Max's), but you also need to level the Pokemon to 100 to Hyper Train it. So now it's far easier and user-friendly to circumvent the hassle of IVs. Like sure, it's still somewhat of a chore to level a Pokemon to 100, but that's a far more concise goal to work towards than rolling the 6 32-sided dice for IVs. Granted, you still have to go through the breeding or SR'ing processes to get 0 attack on special attackers for the best defense against Foul play and hurting yourself in confusion or such, but that mostly just matters for collector freaks (like me)

Sun/Moon basically addressed all those issues with the IVs. In the post game, you unlock the ability to basically see the IVs of your Pokemon in the PC represented by the usual stat hexagon. And you also have access to Hyper Training, where you can spend bottle caps to train the Pokemon to make its stats act as if their IVs are 31 without changing the actual IV. Bottle caps are relatively easily obtainable collectibles if you know how to farm them (I'd say they're about as rare as Rare candies or PP Max's), but you also need to level the Pokemon to 100 to Hyper Train it. So now it's far easier and user-friendly to circumvent the hassle of IVs. Like sure, it's still somewhat of a chore to level a Pokemon to 100, but that's a far more concise goal to work towards than rolling the 6 32-sided dice for IVs. Granted, you still have to go through the breeding or SR'ing processes to get 0 attack on special attackers for the best defense against Foul play and hurting yourself in confusion or such, but that mostly just matters for collector freaks (like me)
The problem with that is that you have to hatch 20 eggs to unlock it. That's still a chore. What's worse they don't even tell you how to unlock IV judge in game. The only reason I figured out was because of Smogon, an unofficial guide. And from expierence, trust me, its a lot better to breed for perfect mons than try to level them up to 100 with imperfect mons. ( Unless you have Powersaves ) I tried doing that for a Rotom-M for the Sinnoch Classic, since I had one with an imperfect IV for HP Fire. It took too long to point I had to participate in the online competition with imperfect IVs.If I had bred one Rotom with perfect IVs for HP fire, I just have to level it 50 for it to be battle ready, in contrast to 100. Honestly, the IV judge should just have unlocked it, as soon as you reached the battle tree. After all, we are the first champions of Alola, so we must be full of potential right? I'm guessing the reason the IV judge was hidden for the PC because choosing Pokemon off data is " Soulless ", And since Masuda thinks hatching eggs is what hardcore players like to do, they'll do it as soon as the post game requires it, without actually understanding why players do it in the first place, to get perfect IVs. Actually, no they do understand, seen by here. I'm sure Masuda and the GF staff know the true reason why people do breeding, but just play dumb for probably the casual audience.

I don't expect any of this rectified in Gen 8 though. Based on Let's Go and interviews, children and Go Players are the ones who are they want to target, and according to GF, children would give up the game is too complex. As a result, issues that the competitive scene will probably not addressed for a long time, simply because we are not the target audience, and our problems come last, if they have any time. It also means no Breath of the Wild/Odyssey level game for Pokemon, since apparently little kids don't have an attention span for a non-linear adventure.

Jumping in a little late here, but I think what they did with Poke Pelago was pretty good for EV training. No complaints from me there.

The right nature can be annoying to find, though I think getting rid of four of the five neutral natures can be a start.

Bottle Caps really do help solve the IV issue, with the lone annoyance being that your Pokemon has to be level 100 for hyper training. IMO they should make it so that your Pokemon can do it as soon as it maxes out its EVs since it has put in the effort. That would make the entire process way less of a chore, and even the trouble you have to go through to find the right nature Pokemon would seem less so because you save so much time on rolling the IV dice/training to level 100.

I'm hoping they do simplify the process a little bit if they're gearing the next set of games towards children, though not dumbed down to Let's Go level.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Honestly, Natures are easy enough to catch/synchronize/breed. Even just randomly, as long as the mon isn’t miserable to catch you can find a positive nature quickly enough just through spamming balls. EVs you can supertrain for, though I do think the system needs a bit of refinement*. IVs are the real issue. 6 stats, assigned randomly, with random inheritance when bred and no easy way to check them? That’s basically the worst possible design for respecting your users. I expect that out of terrible mobile games that you pay to get around, not out of a AAA multiplayer title.

*tbh I really wish there was an easy way to lock an EV so it didn’t increase so you didn’t have to worry about wasting EVs when grinding levels.
Another major problem is how this process is non-reversible. Oops, trends in the metagame shifted, and now you need a Modest Tapu Lele and not a Timid one? That's a once-per-save Pokémon, so the proper course of action would be to restart your game, spend hours getting into the postgame, and then reset over and over again for the right-natured Lele. EVs can be adjusted (although not very easily, as the interface is needlessly obnoxious), but IVs and Natures are fixed, and not all Pokémon appear multiple times on the same cart. Coincidentally, those once-per-save Pokémon happen to be particularly relevant in TPC's official competitive formats, effectively locking participation in those competitive formats behind hours upon hours of repetitive grinding tasks instead of, you know, mastering the game.

I think this is the worst aspect of competitive Pokémon to me. Preparing for it requires so much tedium, repetitive grinding completely unrelated to the skills being tested. A test of patience rather than battling abilities. Getting anywhere, changing anything, adjusting your team... it's such a slog. That also goes for the in-game battling facilities. At higher levels, of gameplay, you're spending way more time doing preparation than what the competitions are all about.

Another major problem is how this process is non-reversible. Oops, trends in the metagame shifted, and now you need a Modest Tapu Lele and not a Timid one? That's a once-per-save Pokémon, so the proper course of action would be to restart your game, spend hours getting into the postgame, and then reset over and over again for the right-natured Lele. EVs can be adjusted (although not very easily, as the interface is needlessly obnoxious), but IVs and Natures are fixed, and not all Pokémon appear multiple times on the same cart. Coincidentally, those once-per-save Pokémon happen to be particularly relevant in TPC's official competitive formats, effectively locking participation in those competitive formats behind hours upon hours of repetitive grinding tasks instead of, you know, mastering the game.

I think this is the worst aspect of competitive Pokémon to me. Preparing for it requires so much tedium, repetitive grinding completely unrelated to the skills being tested. A test of patience rather than battling abilities. Getting anywhere, changing anything, adjusting your team... it's such a slog. That also goes for the in-game battling facilities. At higher levels, of gameplay, you're spending way more time doing preparation than what the competitions are all about.
Is it any wonder Pokemon Showdown! is so popular? You can adjust your favorite Pokemon to suit changes in the metagame in seconds rather than the hours and days it would take just to have a shot at certain Pokemon again on cart. (and if it required an event move to be relevant you're boned)

They should have some sort of 'training' you can do before competitive battles that lets you customise your in-game team just for that competition. Call it 'battle grooming' or something, I don't know. But it sets IVs to max, lets you pick a nature, choose how many EVs you want in each stat etc.

You're the champion, you should be able to unlock the potential of your Pokemon like that.

TODAY ya boy will truly jump the shark and compare pokemon to super smash bros ultimate

so i think that pokemon has gotten too successful for its own good, as my man codraroll has put it in several eloquent posts. however, i mean the term in a different way.

there are over 800 pokemon now. that's a lot. all of them are carefully designed visually, thematically, and (less carefully) competitively. i think this is by far the biggest resource pokemon has as a game at this point-- there are so many well designed mons that people are gonna have a lot of favorites. even outside fan favorite mons like the starters and eeveelutions, each person is going to have a pretty sizable pool of mons they like the designs of. you have the specialized, calm alakazam. you have the excellent bananasaur tropius. you have the twisted, super powerful dragalge. you have the SICK LEGENDARIES like necrozma and thundurus t.

the problem is, the pokemon company doesn't know what to do with this asset. they just keep sending us on the same linear adventure, over and over again, and i think that there's so much potential that they haven't used here.

"gotta catch 'em all" just doesn't work as a motto anymore, because "catching them all" is boring and unfulfilling when you have 800 mons to catch. people don't want to catch 'em all. people want to use 'em all. people want to see what each pokemon has to offer (with varying degrees of competitive knowledge), not just catch them, give them some experience, and be done with it. people want gym/e4/champion battles to be full of mons that actually do different things, instead of gf just getting lazy, giving them a bunch of high base power moves, and calling it a day.

let's look at super smash bros ultimate. i don't have the game so can't speak from experience. but from what i know, there's a story mode and stuff where you get to unlock all the characters, there's ai that's actually decent at the game, and there's competitive play that's decently accessible for new players.

now when you look at pokemon again, it has these things. there's a story mode where you catch mons, there's competitive play. but for the most part, there's no ai that's actually decent at the game.

however, there is one place where you can find decent ai. that place is the battle tree. (yeah i know the tree ai is dumb, but it at least offers competition.)

now i, and other people, have ranted about there not being multiple facilities anymore for a long time now. but for what it is, the battle tree is honestly pretty well done. singles and doubles are both cool, and you can change the music that plays during games too. the sets are pretty diverse. you can use the mons you like to their full potential here. this is the best place to play the "actual game" short of playing other people.

the problem, of course, is the fact that 90% of the time (maybe less if you have long streaks in tree), you're not playing the actual game. you're just catching stuff or breeding or ev training or level grinding your mons. the level 100 bottle cap limit is garbage. the game gives you the freedom to use almost any of the 800+ mons available to you, but at the same time, there's this absurd time barrier that you have to get through before you even get to use them. it's like if you had to go through a backstory for each character to unlock special and smash attacks in smash ultimate, except instead of carefully crafted content you just hold down b and spin around the circle pad and mindlessly knock out wild mons on poni island.

it's bad.

because of all this, you're literally discouraged from using anything you don't already have. i want to have an alakazam, and a tropius, and a dragalge, and a thundurus t that can all hold their own in competitive mons, but it would literally take hours to get just one of them. there's some dude who plays battle tree that has a whole army of trick room pokemon and randomly selects mons from the army to use. that sounds super cool to me, but i just don't have the huge amount of time or motivation to do all of that. but in smash, you can use whatever character you want, whenever you want, with the only barrier being your own skill with them. and even then, i'd rather grind out tech skill for hours in melee than breed, because with the tech skill i'm actually improving at the game, while breeding is just the game lifting this completely arbitrary barrier and not increasing my skill level or understanding whatsoever.

the worst part is that if gamefreak made ivs/egg moves/natures/evs more easily adjustable, they could literally have you playing the actual game right from the beginning of your adventure. "increase your pokemon's latent values with this special drink!" "you have 157 evs total, use the slider bars to adjust how much is invested in which stat." "your pokemon looks to have mostly physical moves, but it has a timid nature. would you like to change that?" but instead, they insist on locking it behind hours of work that goes against the point of playing a game at all. and this is the reason why the vast majority of people who've played pokemon don't have the slightest idea how it works competitively, because this incompetent game company flat out refuses to teach them. just imagine how much bigger this community would be if the games made the slightest effort to be actually accessible instead of "cool i only have to spend 3 hours now instead of 4...wait nvm they removed blissey bases and hordes, back to 4 then"

thats why pokemon sucks.

thanks for reading
You have just provided the answer to "Why do people use Pokémon Showdown?".

Some kind of psychic could also work as a Nature changer as they are more like personalities. Though it would have some kind of bad implication that they are brainwashing pokémon for them to behave differently.

Sondero

How the hell did something like Mr. Bonding pass through the concept stage in X/Y? Like did none of the developers ever think "Hmm, maybe it's not a good idea to center a mechanic, in a game where you play as a 10-14 year old kid, around meeting up with a strange middle-aged man in hotel rooms who 'bonds' with you while the screen fades to black?", or was it intentional and GF just has a sick sense of humor? In any case, I just find it more disturbing the more I think about it.

I'm going to chock it up to cultural differences and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Coincidentally I'm playing Yokai Watch 3 right now, and an eerily similar scenario to Mr. Bonding just happened where an old eccentric man invites a ten-year-old boy into his house (Mr. Box if anybody else is playing that game). Jeebus does this look creepy without context.

I guess in both cases we aren't technically alone, as we've got some form of super-powered monsters backing us up. So maybe that's the justification? Don't hang out alone with strange old men, always bring a giant dragon with you for protection kids!

For another little thing that annoys me, why do I need to reach Plaza level 50 just to get rid of the Team Rocket theme?! All I want is the original version back! Dark sinister red does NOT pair well with spring flowers!

I feel sorry for anybody picking up US/UM after the Global Link missions ended. Grinding all the way to Plaza level 50 is going to take way longer than my patience for castle decor.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Anyway, back to making admittedly petty complaints about the franchise we love. Like, say, how it bugs me to see Roserade on a computer opponent's team carrying a physical move. (you could have afforded to give Wally's Roserade Sludge Bomb, Game Freak. It's not like his would ever be packing HP Fire)
And Energy Ball instead of Petal Blizzard...

Not being able to catch a mon in a double battle until you faint the other one. Which wouldn’t be so bad except that a battle can start off as a single and turn into a double. Which leads to a 1HP enemy spamming Flail while I try desperately to faint the other one despite its truly annoying coverage.
Wild Pokemon no longer call for help if they're inflicted with a status such as sleep.
Still doesn't help when its a Double Wild Battle. And there's no reason not to allow it, just say the Poke Ball teleported straight into the PC if they really want to have the "realism" of the trainer not being able to get the Poke Ball normally because there's another wild Pokemon right there.

Its been 4 generations, and there's yet to be a special variation of Intimidate, let alone, a status condition that affects Special Attackers. Found it weird, since both are very common in VGC, and since, Special Attackers have always been favored, you'd think they try to nerf them a bit more, but I guess GF just hates Physical Attackers.
Mentioned this idea in the other thread, though why not just have Intimidate lower the Pokemon's highest offense stat? Or maybe for Abilities like Intimidate give us a way to choose between whether it affects Physical or Special.

You know I've always wondered the reason why VGC is always doubles instead of Singles despite 3v3 being very fast paced is because GF is legitimately concerned of someone stalling with Chansey and Blissey since both are viable in Battle Spot Singles. But then again, a timer could easily fix this issue, so maybe not.
Not wanting stall, Doubles go through Pokemon faster, and is also more flashier than Single battles normally are. However I think it's mainly for the middle point, just to get through battles a bit more faster.

One thing I'd like to note is that if Natures are to changeable, then they would need to be renamed to something else, as forcibly changing a "living" thing's disposition is just... morally wrong. Then again, competitive Pokemon basically already encourages eugenics, so maybe it wouldn't be so out of place.
Or how about this: you send your Pokemon to acting school.

Yes, sounds silly, but it does get around you "forcing your Pokemon to change its personality" by instead saying that only in battle does it act a certain way in order to be the most effective in its performance.

Every game should have a Rental place for the Battle Facility. And I don't mean a Battle Factory facility, though an option to have battles like that would be nice, but rather how in the Stadium games and Battle Revolution you can actually rent certain Pokemon to use. Now to balance things out they won't be the most optimized with moves nor have their Hidden Abilities (though I think they should have perfect IVs), but if you just want to try out a Pokemon would be a nice option.

Sondero

Or how about this: you send your Pokemon to acting school.

Yes, sounds silly, but it does get around you "forcing your Pokemon to change its personality" by instead saying that only in battle does it act a certain way in order to be the most effective in its performance.
Or they could just do like they do with Hyper Training, make it so the nature remains unchangeable and decides which stats get boosted and lowered as the Pokemon is caught, but then give you some feature that allows you to change the nature boost to act like whichever nature, without changing the nature itself.

Like let's say you caught a Shiny Quirky Latios, but of course you'd want something like Timid for the +10% speed at the cost of 10% attack, which you don't need. The feature would allow you to get the stat boosts of Timid while still having the flavor text say Quirky. Now the question is, how would you go about implementing a feature that does this? I like Pikachu's suggestion of an Acting school, like maybe you could have your Pokemon attempt to role-play as another of your Pokemon. So if you wanted the Quirky Latios to get the stat boosts of Timid, it would have to impersonate one of your Pokemon that has the Timid nature.

Wouldn't that just be super confusing though? I mean, it's not like people/animals can't change their nature through experience and training.

How a trainer would change a nature from jolly to timid would just be another one of those things we don't think about too much. :)

Or just read easily obtainable self-help books like they do in Yokai Watch.

Technically this one is for the loafing mechanic and not the attitude system, but I hope you'll overlook that since it's a good picture.

Point being plausibility can always be put on standby for the sake of gameplay. So let's kill the "changing natures is morally wrong" talk, or stop talking like there's any premise or setting reason keeping Gamefreak from implementing a nature-changer. They could if they wanted to.

Last edited:
Something that may have been mentioned before: people thinking you must be 10 to train Pokémon, and by extension the main characters are 10.

Neither is true. The former only applies to the anime which uses different rules, and the latter is wrong as the few main characters with confirmed ages aren't exactly 10 either, generally older than that albeit just slightly. Only Ash is 10.

That links with another issue I have where the anime gets too much "importance" so to say, but let's not get there.

Okay so I know this has probably been brought up before, but I'm too lazy to look through the entire thread, but I really hate dex numbers. The ordering makes absolutely no sense, are they categorized by rarity, by date of discovery, number alive in the wild, do all pokemon have an unknown latin name and are then put into alphabetical order through that. It just bothers me so much that the index for categorizing all the animals in a country has no real organization to it besides arbitrary numbers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 9)