(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pokédexes mostly seem to follow a general order of when you'd encounter the Pokémon in game.
Yeah, it's outrageous. Unless all these species are being categorized in the Pokedex for the first time by the player characters (which is pretty absurd in its own right), it's completely implausible that the numbers would just so happen to match the order in which one particular person encounters them. It's an abomination, similar to but a tiny bit less egregious than the route numbering.

Yeah, it's outrageous. Unless all these species are being categorized in the Pokedex for the first time by the player characters (which is pretty absurd in its own right), it's completely implausible that the numbers would just so happen to match the order in which one particular person encounters them. It's an abomination, similar to but a tiny bit less egregious than the route numbering.
Neither is implausible... but of course, the problem is that no justification whatsoever is provided.

One could assume that the Kanto Pokédex could have a justification in that it is implied to be a recent invention by Professor Oak. If he too started his trainer journey in Pallet Town, then the species order in the Pokédex makes sense. Might be the case with the Hoenn Pokédex as well, but other games don't really provide any reason behind it.

Convenient route numbers, on the other hand, are never explained. They don't even get weird reasons like "You start on the first founded town in the region, and the numbers follow the order in which it was explored, so you're following the original route", which while still very farfetched, it still gives a reason.

I mean, unless you're a game designer looking to put subtle clues into your game that there are undiscovered pokemon in the areas you've been to. It's not like pokemon games are the only ones to do this, I can tell how far I am in a Zelda game by how many inventory slots I've filled.

On pokedex numbers I can let realism slide for the sake of gameplay. It's not that "abominable." If the pokedex numbering system is so bad, what alternative are you guys suggesting?

The growth times for the EV-reducing berries in Generation III.

I've recently been replaying Pokémon Emerald to try a few things in the Battle Frontier and learned one weird little fact.
All the EV-reducing berries take 12 hours until they are fully grown and can be harvested. Except for one, the Tamato Berry, which takes twice as long.
That's a little annoying when you want to grow all of them at once and maximize the harvests by watering the plants at every stage of their growth.

Then again, it's the Speed-reducing berry so maybe that's why it's slower than the rest.
Deepest Pokémon lore...

So in let's go, 'certain' sprites have been revamped...and practically every single one of them are rly gorgeous and full with detail. But the problem is in 'certain'. Whenever i go into the party menu, the old sprites just look...embarrasring when compared to the new ones. So much that i actively go out of my way to avoid them and only use teams filled with shiny new sprites

I guess this is sorta understandable tho cuz it's gonna be a crap load of work to do all these stuff.

But the issue i have is with what pokemon they choose to revamp. Sandslash, ninetails, raichu, wigglytuff, weezing, starmie and even mew are stuck with the old sprites...while fucking SEAKING gets the special treatment? What the actual fuck?

Friendship evolutions are annoying me in my current Pokemon Pearl solo playthrough. Budew takes way longer to evolve than it should.

Friendship evolutions are annoying me in my current Pokemon Pearl solo playthrough. Budew takes way longer to evolve than it should.
I had the same problem when I used Budew in Platinum. Not only it takes a long time to evolve, but it's also really frail, so you need to be super careful to not have it being knocked out or his friendship will decrease.
I have no problems with friendship evolution per se, but when coupled with frail pokemon (like most baby pokemon) it can get annoying.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Yup, in the case of Budew, it's just way easier to pick up a Roselia later on. When I last tried to use Roserade in Pt, I raised a Budew and it still hadn't evolved by the time I reached an area where Roselia could be caught.

That the Pokedex has no way of informing us about pronunciation of Pokemon names is really irritating and you get people who argue over how "Arceus" is pronounced. Not even the anime is reliable. I know I had my pronunciations all over the place, with "Groudon" being "Groo-don", Kyogre being "Kie (as in "eye) orgre", always mispronouncing "Skarmory" as "Sk-aye-morree" .

That the Pokedex has no way of informing us about pronunciation of Pokemon names is really irritating and you get people who argue over how "Arceus" is pronounced. Not even the anime is reliable. I know I had my pronunciations all over the place, with "Groudon" being "Groo-don", Kyogre being "Kie (as in "eye) orgre", always mispronouncing "Skarmory" as "Sk-aye-morree" .
Well to be fair, Pokedex 3D Pro had pronunciations for all Pokemon from Gens 1-5.

Those people have far too much time on their hands, honestly. What does it matter how a Pokemon's name is pronounced as long as it's close enough to recognize?

I think you're underestimating how important pronunciation is to people. Like, I know people are self-aware if they botch intonations (some languages actually have two completely different words separated by only different intonations), I know people who get nuts from those with incorrect intonations, and I know people who get so irritated by "Ray chu". It can get distracting if you're in a verbal conversation with someone.

I figured this sort of thread is the "little things" that annoy you, so it's fair game. :P

Japanese Pokemon names are sometimes confusing, especially when you look at Jolteon vs. Zapdos. According to Serebii, Jolteon is meant to be "Thunders", while Zapdos is "Thunder".

Japanese Pokemon names are sometimes confusing, especially when you look at Jolteon vs. Zapdos. According to Serebii, Jolteon is meant to be "Thunders", while Zapdos is "Thunder".
But you pronounce them as サンダース and サンダー respectively, the extra ス sound is pretty noticeable.

I just remembered a big peeve of mine, and that's how Pokemon decided that hail = snow. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon at least got the weather condition right by having snow and hail separate, at least before they regressed in Gates to Infinity and Super Mystery Dungeon. But hail should be associated with thunderclouds (the only thing capable of producing hail to begin with) while snow should be everything ice. I've wanted snow to be a separate weather condition that boost ice type speed as in the Mystery Dungeon games.

I think the best way to solve this pronunciation issue would be just if GF did use IPA in the ingame Pokédex. But yes, it would be so much easier if we all could read and speak in Japanese. That "Neatle" v.s "Naetoru"still bothers me a lot... I checked some anime episodes and they do say "Naetoru" very clearly without skipping any vowels. I still see this weird translation from katakana to romaji in multiple websites.

Oh well, I'm not so worried about pronunciation myself because my English sounds quite terrible. :D

I got lots of other things that annoy me in pokémon quite a lot and most of them have been already covered in this topic... like pacing issues in multiple pokémon games and design flaws when it comes to different regions....Especially in Alola because I've played SM/USSM a lot lately. Like look at Paniola Ranch for example. There is 3 pokémon centers placed close to each other for the sake of the story.Still they had to put a flight spot in there because it's quite inconvenient to walk there from other locations.

I also don't like SOS battles even though they are useful for EV-training. DexNav and "hidden pokémon" mechanic was so much better for finding rare pokémon if you ask me. Super Training was also lot more fun for EV-training than this one.

And performance of SM/USSM games itself is quite terrible in some points of the story and in some double fights... It was either the game isn't optimized very well or 3DS itself is at it's limits but it hurts my eyes when your FPS drops drastically to single digits during some scenes.

Other thing that annoys quite a lot is Gladion and his relationship with Lillie. I relate a lot for Lillie and how she did develop during the story (at least in Sun/Moon), it was quite realistic for her personality. Gladion in the other hand felt like he was just a filler here.

Okay so Lillie was someone who didn't know herself and had rather low self-esteem before she decided to save Nebby. As a person she is quite modest and reserved. Her low self-esteem is result from Lusamine's unhealthy (narcissistic) behavior towards her kids and people around her. Lillie still isn't completely broken, thanks to her father and Wicke most likely. But just that since father disappeared, things went to south.

I don't know if Lillie and Gladion were twins or if other kid was older but it doesn't matter. Gladion's actions don't make much sense in the game. He tried to "save" his sister from mother by running away? When he is confronted he says that he was trying to find a way to save their parents and become happy family again? Ok, I know that he is traumatized because of his mother's cruel experiments but that's not excuse for multiple plotholes. What made him to think that Team Skull could help him? Even Lillie acknowledges that he isn't making any sense in the remakes. :D

Anyway, my point is that this setup had great potential for some realistic and quite sad story about siblings overcoming their harsh start (or gain their z-form as they put it in the games).

If it was me who made Gladion's character, I'd made him to do something drastic at Aether Palace so his mother would've been furious enough to kick him out from their home etc. Then rest of the story would make more sense. Also I'd had written more dialogue between Lillie and Gladion because siblings always have this love-hate game going on through their lives. And it would've been nice addition to Lillie's character also.

edit// I never thought about this hail/snow thing too deep. It's indeed weird than in all pokémon games when there is snow effect (even if it's slowly falling snowflakes in overworld) in battle it turns into hailing. :D

And performance of SM/USSM games itself is quite terrible in some points of the story and in some double fights... It was either the game isn't optimized very well or 3DS itself is at it's limits but it hurts my eyes when your FPS drops drastically to single digits during some scenes.
I never noticed any issue when playing. That being said, I heard/saw people with the original generation 3DS seeing noticeable performance drops at certain points, so that might be the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 9)