(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, if you battled every trainer you only needed to battle Uxie Mesprit and Azelf, which, while annoying, wasn't that bad in the end.
Oh, there was a one more Pokemon you needed to see that made completing the Sinnoh Regional dex a pain and now possibly impossible in vanilla DP.

Edit: Well that's a shoe in my mouth (both of them as I linked this thread to it). Requirement to see Manaphy was added in Platinum (Bulbapedia just showed Manaphy was part of the dex so since you needed to see it in Platinum I assumed the same was true for DP). Still strange Cresselia wasn't part of the regional dex and in Platinum it was Manaphy made required instead of adding Cresselia. *shrugs*

Last edited:
The only really annoying Pokémon to see was Rotom because of the time requirement and the minimal hints to its existence, even in Platinum.

I actually kinda liked the requirement though, or at least, I liked that it meant you could see almost all the local Pokémon in Sinnoh just through trainer battles.

What annoys me is that in every game before and since DPPt, you can battle all the trainers in the region and you’ll still end up with a ton of unseen Pokémon. What’s especially frustrating is that often the unseen Pokémon are the pre-evolved forms of powerful final-stage mons that can’t be caught anywhere.

The DPPt model encourages exploration without making you crawl around forever in caves and grassy areas. You’ll obviously need to do that if you want to catch the Pokémon after you’ve seen them, but it’s more targeted when you can check the Pokédex for location information. Obviously you can always consult the internet, but it feels wrong to have to resort to that so quickly.

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But Rotom was a also a Platinum addition, you couldn't catch it before the national dex.

I remember missing only Unown, because I didn't even noticed their ruins. The hardest part was that as a single-line Pokémon, I had no clue about what could I have missed.

Riolu was also easily missable since its trainer is in the depths of the first cave, surf and rock smash needed. (But I guess most of us hatched it anyway)

But Rotom was a also a Platinum addition, you couldn't catch it before the national dex.
Oh true! Yikes, and here I was feeling smug about other people not knowing that Manaphy only appeared in Platinum’s regional Dex.

I remember missing only Unown, because I didn't even noticed their ruins. The hardest part was that as a single-line Pokémon, I had no clue about what could I have missed.
These days I’m so used to Platinum guiding you there to get Defog, but yeah in DP it’s super easy to blow right past the Solaceon Ruins.

For some reason my last Pokémon was Lumineon? Somehow I just Surfed right past the trainer who uses one, and then assumed I’d already battled her when I came back to the route. Doesn’t help that Finneon and Lumineon are so forgettable haha.

Riolu was also easily missable since its trainer is in the depths of the first cave, surf and rock smash needed. (But I guess most of us hatched it anyway)
Also a good point. Despite being the kind of person who combs through every single newly unlocked area whenever I get a new HM, I’m pretty sure I still missed the Surf-locked part of Oreburgh Gate for quite a long time when I first played Diamond.

Plus, a lot of people have full parties when they clear Iron Island, leaving no room for the egg. Leaving, depositing a Pokémon, and retracing your way through from the start doesn’t take too long, but I’m sure a fair few casual players would’ve just carried on and forgotten about the Riolu egg.

Last edited:
Don't even get me started on their movesets (F L A I L M I L O T I C).
This reminded me of how awful many of SM's enemy movesets are in general, and inspired me to see if I could do better. Over the past few days, I've been redesigning SM's important fights. I present what could have been.

Just a note: I used 30 IVs in place of 31 IVs just for visibility. In-game, they would be 31.

Because of how complicated it would be to convey the different combinations of stat boosts, I've split the Mother Beast teams into three versions.
https://pokepast.es/80c242c5ee87a4d6
https://pokepast.es/329ad348a2fb17f4
https://pokepast.es/e628dc22ff0c6697

I really don't like the Pokemon Kukui chose for his team. Ninetales is generally bad, and Braviary shares a Normal type with Snorlax. Because of this, not only did I change hits sets, but I also made a second team using mostly new Pokemon.
https://pokepast.es/88555cbd255e1d85
https://pokepast.es/ac6f84b5cfad308e

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why was Ghost a physical type before Gen IV?

The entire idea behind ghosts is that they're incorporeal beings that haven't passed in into the afterlife. Or whatever. They don't tend to have physical, actual bodies.

And if there's some Japanese lost-in-translation thing that explains it, that doesn't excuse the fact that the original Ghost-type family was full of gaseous beings.

The entire idea behind ghosts is that they're incorporeal beings that haven't passed in into the afterlife. Or whatever. They don't tend to have physical, actual bodies.

And if there's some Japanese lost-in-translation thing that explains it, that doesn't excuse the fact that the original Ghost-type family was based on being gaseous.
I think this is more worthy of the "Mysteries and Conspiracies" thread.

And it should be put side-to-side with Dark being Special, even though no Dark-type Pokémon before Gen IV had less Attack than Special Attack. Heck, all offensive Dark-type moves from before Gen IV are now physical...

(Maybe Ghost was physical because the only Ghost-type move that did not deal fixed damage was Lick?)

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

And if there's some Japanese lost-in-translation thing that explains it, that doesn't excuse the fact that the original Ghost-type family was full of gaseous beings.
I think the explanation is as simple as the only move for which it mattered whether Ghost-Type was physical or special when the type was introduced in Gen I was Lick, so they only thought in the short-term. Which, by the way, I think Lick should have been Normal-Type if moves like Karate Chop were.

I agree with your post though because it should have been retconned in Gen II. They gave Dragon-Type physical or special properties in that gen since the only Dragon-Type attack in Gen I was Dragon Rage, so they could have also switched it for Ghost-Type in Gen II when they introduced Shadow Ball, which even lowered special attack. This would have made room for Dark-Type to be physical. Lick could even function better as a Dark-Type move than a Ghost-Type as it's a somewhat dirty tactic that can even cause paralysis due to shock, so it would have made sense to make Ghost-Type special if its previous physical move was now the physical Dark-Type.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

And it should be put side-to-side with Dark being Special, even though no Dark-type Pokémon before Gen IV had less Attack than Special Attack. Heck, all offensive Dark-type moves from before Gen IV are now physical...

(Maybe Ghost was physical because the only Ghost-type move that did not deal fixed damage was Lick?)
It's still an annoyance because Gengar's stats didn't match its typing at all and makes it worthless for in-game outside of Gen II. (And it only works there because Elemental Punch TMs.) Kind weird to design your only fully evolved Ghost (at the time) like that.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

Don’t forget about Houndoom, the singular, functional dark attacker

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's still an annoyance because Gengar's stats didn't match its typing at all and makes it worthless for in-game outside of Gen II. (And it only works there because Elemental Punch TMs.) Kind weird to design your only fully evolved Ghost (at the time) like that.
Don’t forget about Houndoom, the singular, functional dark attacker
Let's not forget those Physical Fire-types: Flareon, Rapidash, & Entei.
Or those Physical Water-types: Kingler, Feraligatr, & Gyarados.
Even Dragonite to an extent.

Feels like the monster makers and the mechanic programmers didn't talk to each other in concerns of the Types matching certain Pokemon stats. Then since there was no problem they didn't realize/forgot by Gen II. I think by Gen III they realized there was a problem but was too late (instead maybe changing around a few Pokemon so their stats would match the Type Category) but made a note for Gen IV to split the Categories.

How there is no confirmation box asking if you want to restart the level in pokemon battle Trozei. I was in the third stage of the infinite ruins, and I got up to the boss for the first time. I went to pause the game to take a quick breather. I went to unpause the game but hit restart level by mistake, and it didn't ask me if I wanted to restart the level or not, it just restarted the level. The worst part is that it didn't even save the new pokemon I caught like it does when you lose a level.

Ice Types Should Resist and Beat Water Types

I will break this into three sections. Also, this is not a post about balancing. While it could be argued that having ice types resist and beat water types would benefit the balancing of the game, that is not the point I will be trying to make.

On The Case of Scald/Steam Eruption:
Any water move with a burn side effect should continue to either do neutral or super effective damage to ice types. Type-defying moves such as freeze dry already exist. You may ask, "But 90% of water types use scald, how would that help ice types?" However, this post isn't about helping ice types. Also, for the arguments below, please disregard the move scald.

On the Case of Freeze Dry:
"Wouldn't freeze dry be pointless if this change was made?" On one hand, yes, but it depends on how it is handled. The effect can be changed from "now does super effective damage" to "now does double damage". Unfortunately for water types, this would mean it would be a move that would do x4 damage to water types. This thread isn't about balance so I won't go into detail for how else it could change.

Point 1: "Water Melts Ice" is a Fallacy

The primary argument for why water type resists ice and for why water deals neutral damage to ice types is that water melts ice. Put two ice cubes into a glass of water and soon enough the glass will once again only contain water. However, this is completely irrelevant to this discussion. Let me reframe this to be more clear- this is not a case of ice vs water, it is the case of a creature that produces ice vs a creature that can produce water.

Ice types can conjure weaponized ice from the moisture around them. If an ice type and a water type collide, the ice type will surely be able to freeze the water before the water can melt the ice. This is because this is a constant stream of ice conjuration. Any spray of water can instantly be reformed into ice. No stream of water will melt ice faster than the ice type can freeze water except for boiling water (scald). Providing an ice type with more water and moisture should be counter intuitive, in fact. It is much easier to create ice with excess moisture than when there is a dry environment.

Point 2: Consider Real Animals

I get it, this is only a game and elemental animals don't exist in real life. Bare with me and consider this; arctic (and antarctic) animals dominate aquatic animals. Polar bears, penguins, leopard seals, walrus, sea lions, and even arctic foxes, all of them routinely dine on fish. Now, this is an unfair comparison due to the size differences. Any orca could wreck this argument, but let's bring elements into this.

Spray any arctic animal with a high powered fire hose and it'll surely stun them, but it won't harm them more than any other animal. In fact it will be shrugged off easier than an animal native to any other environment. Arctic animals dominate the water, they thrive in it, they hunt in it. They can withstand the harshest water environments imaginable.

Now, instead of using a water move on an ice type, consider using an ice type attack on a water creature. Most fish do not enjoy freezing temperatures, and being frozen would not be taken well either. Amphibians and fish alike do not have the thick skin required to protect themselves against falling icicles. There are some fish that actually do handle the cold well, and in Pokemon, these would be considered ice/water types. At that point, they would accurately only take neutral damage from ice.

Almost every arctic animal can handle and thrive on the sea, but not every aquatic animal can handle the freezing cold. The whole arctic animal vs aquatic animal argument may not hold weight to some, but consider that the only logic for why flying beats bug is because birds eat insects. Pokemon does in fact use the food chain within its typing logic. Though there are some exceptions- electric rodents are super effective against birds after all.

Point 3: Imagine an Anime Battle (Set Current Game Logic Aside)

I'm going to set the stage- imagine a stage filled with water with maybe a rock in the middle. We will give the water type a home turf advantage here. Now, have a generic ice type on the rock fighting a generic water type. When you think of this, how do you think it would turn out? Let's consider the Pokemon suicune. It's a mystical Pokemon that can create ice under its feet as it walks on water. I'd assume an ice type, which can emit cold and instantly create ice could do the same feat, right? This opens up the arena by a lot. Any other type bar electric would struggle by this environment.

Next, consider their attacks. What could a water type possibly do to harm an ice type? Scald would be the obvious answer but let's say the water type hasn't learned it. They would use basic attacks like surf- but this water could be frozen and used against the water type. The water type could drag the ice type under water but they would risk being frozen while the ice type could easily escape. This should be considered an up hill battle for the water type. In the actual games it is quite the opposite. An ice type can't even touch a water type without freeze dry, while the water move can somehow hurt the ice type. This does not make sense.

Ice types should fully counter a water type if they don't have scald. I cannot really imagine a way this could play out in a water type's favor.

That's it for now. There's some micro arguments that I may bring up later. Please tell me if you disagree and why, thanks.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I will break this into three sections. Also, this is not a thread about balancing. While it could be argued that having ice types resist and beat water types would benefit the balancing of the game, that is not the point I will be trying to make.
Moved discussion to another thread, because we don't do threads about "here's my proposed changes to the games" per the forum rules.

Moved discussion to another thread, because we don't do threads about "here's my proposed changes to the games" per the forum rules.
Well that's unfortunate. Only made this account to get opinions on this subject, but now it's relegated to a thread where it will be burried very quickly.

Completely my fault for not reading the rules (and no ill will), but man that's potentially an unfortunate wasted amount of work on my part. Lesson learned.

:psygrump:

Last edited:
I really dislike that there’s so little planning between generations. It would seem really simple when writing the evil teams or putting together Dex entries for GF to leave hooks to use later on, but they don’t. All cross-gen evolutions are clearly retcons, gimmicks are set up to be limited to a single region, and the only story element that persists between regions is LOOKER. This would be so simple, and yet, they never do anything to build for the future.

I was looking some NPC movesets in Bulbapedia when I got to Wulfric. Out of curiosity, I decided to look at his Battle Chateau movesets. Before this I thought all bosses just used a single specific moveset for all Chateau battles, with the battles only changing their Pokémon's levels. But to my surprise, that's not the case, each one of these battles have their own specific movesets!

And ALSO to my surprise (or rather not, this is XY after all), most of these are also terrible. Just to show how horrible they are, let's take a look at Wulfric's ace Pokémon, Avalugg, in some of these battles, shall we?

Chateau.PNG

In the regular Chateau battle, Avalugg just uses his regular Gym Battle moveset. Not amazing or anything, but it's a decent enough moveset for an in-game boss. Crunch is alright, and Curse goes well with Avalanche, Gyro Ball and Avalugg's base stats.

Red Writ.PNG

Now, to pick a random example, on the "Red Writ of Challenge" match, Avalugg now has... 3 Ice Moves? Ice Fang is unnecessary on such a slow Pokémon, and Blizzard is awful for a physical attacker. Rapid Spin is... pretty bad for an in-game boss actually, specially considering that Wulfric only has 2 Pokémon in this battle.

But okay, now let's see Wulfric's ultimate battle, his "Black Writ of Challenge Rematch" moveset, where his Pokémon are at their highest possible level! This certainly shouldn't disapo-

Black Writ.PNG

what

...no Ice moves? No STAB at all? I mean... these moves aren't terrible. Three of those are actually rather decent for an in-game Avalugg, but... seriously, why doesn't he have any Ice-Type moves?

But then I looked at Avalugg's Gen 6 learnset, and discovered that all of these battles (with the exception of the Gym Battle and the regular Chateau fight) simply use Avalugg's level up moveset, picking the last 4 moves he learns from the level he's currently at. And this applies for all "Writ of Challenge" matches, where Avalugg can be at level 30, 45, 50, 60, etc, so these movesets aren't properly balanced at all, they're just automatically picked from his regular learnset.

Yeah, this is pretty awful, but this actually isn't the only time Gen 6 does something like that. As soon as I realized what was going on with Avalugg's movesets I immediately remembered a very specific (and infamous) moveset from a certain boss of Pokémon Omega Ruby: Maxie. Specifically his Camerupt from the final story battle at the Seafloor Cavern.

Camerupt.PNG

No STAB moves at all, freaking Take Down of all things, and a damaging move whose secondary effect is useless due to Mega Camerupt's low speed and Curse.

And, just like Wulfric's Chateau battles, this Camerupt over here uses his level up learnset to determine the moveset instead of having a specifically crafted, well balanced set of moves. The diference is that this is a STORY BATTLE, one whose tension is thrown in the trash due to the boss' main Pokémon having a horrendously and clumsly made moveset. These are not the only cases of that, I'm pretty sure all other XY bosses use movesets like this for their Writ of Challenge Chateau battles, and I wouldn't be surprised if other ORAS bosses had awful sets just like Maxie's Camerupt over here.

So yeah, that's little thing that annoyes me in Pokémon games: movesets that are made from the Pokémon's last 4 level up moves instead of being manually made. I don't mind this at all for regular trainers, but for bosses it just seems... lazy. It's supposed to be a climatic, important battle, so why wasn't it properly crafted? This isn't just a Gen 6 problem actually, if I remember correctly Red & Blue uses this a lot. It's the reason the game's final boss is so pathetic, but RB were the first games in the series, so Game Freak probably had no idea what could be even considered a "decent moveset" back then. But seeing something like this in a 2014 game is honestly pretty disapointing.

I have two related things that annoy me. One is about the games, and one is about this community.

I don't like how, in almost every Pokemon game, it's incredibly easy to just plow through the game with a single Pokemon, usually your starter. Why bother going through the trouble of raising a balanced team if it's quicker, easier, and more effective to just focus all your efforts into a single Pokemon?

I also don't like how some of y'all don't see this as a problem.
A few days ago, when some leaker was streaming SwSh, people were freaking out about how he was overleveled. Then someone mentioned that he was fighting almost exclusively with his starter, and people calmed down. Are you kidding me? Why should the level curve assume the player is using an objectively suboptimal strategy?

I agree that raising an entire team is more interesting than steamrolling everything with a jacked-up starter, but because that's the case, Game Freak should make a serious effort to make raising a whole team easier. I think something like this could work:
  • With the EXP Share, every Pokemon on your party receives the full amount from every battle. The experience isn't split up, and it doesn't matter if a Pokemon participated in the battle.
  • You have the ability to redirect the experience a party member receives to a different party member of a lower level. There is no limit to how many Pokemon can redirect experience, and a low leveled party member can receive experience from multiple Pokemon at the same time. As a bonus, maybe you could decide how much experience a Pokemon gives to its weaker partner, instead of just being all or nothing. A slider could work, as could simple menu options of 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.

I have two related things that annoy me. One is about the games, and one is about this community.

I don't like how, in almost every Pokemon game, it's incredibly easy to just plow through the game with a single Pokemon, usually your starter. Why bother going through the trouble of raising a balanced team if it's quicker, easier, and more effective to just focus all your efforts into a single Pokemon?

I also don't like how some of y'all don't see this as a problem.
A few days ago, when some leaker was streaming SwSh, people were freaking out about how he was overleveled. Then someone mentioned that he was fighting almost exclusively with his starter, and people calmed down. Are you kidding me? Why should the level curve assume the player is using an objectively suboptimal strategy?

I agree that raising an entire team is more interesting than steamrolling everything with a jacked-up starter, but because that's the case, Game Freak should make a serious effort to make raising a whole team easier. I think something like this could work:
  • With the EXP Share, every Pokemon on your party receives the full amount from every battle. The experience isn't split up, and it doesn't matter if a Pokemon participated in the battle.
  • You have the ability to redirect the experience a party member receives to a different party member of a lower level. There is no limit to how many Pokemon can redirect experience, and a low leveled party member can receive experience from multiple Pokemon at the same time. As a bonus, maybe you could decide how much experience a Pokemon gives to its weaker partner, instead of just being all or nothing. A slider could work, as could simple menu options of 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.
You can totally just bulldoze through with your starter, but most are going to assemble a team of their favorites among those available in the game. Game Freak has already done a lot with EXP Share, and people complain that it breaks the game. (which may partly be true in X and Y if you're fighting everything, but Sun and Moon at least seemed to account for it being on)

You can totally just bulldoze through with your starter, but most are going to assemble a team of their favorites among those available in the game. Game Freak has already done a lot with EXP Share, and people complain that it breaks the game. (which may partly be true in X and Y if you're fighting everything, but Sun and Moon at least seemed to account for it being on)
My point is that steps should be taken to make sure that people who "assemble a team of their favorites" aren't at an egregious disadvantage. I don't get why people complain about EXP Share being broken when it doesn't break the game any harder than just using a single Pokemon. The game's level curve should assume the player is only using a single Pokemon, and the changes I proposed would help close the level gap between a player who only uses one mon and a player who uses a full team.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
When it comes to catching Pokemon, few things annoy me more than when the only way to get certain Pokemon is by in-game trade or gifts.

Aside from feeling plain lazy (You designed a new Pokemon or brought back this old Pokemon for this game's regional pokedex and couldn't figure out a place to put it?) it kind of hurts the overall experience of the journey to the championship. To explain what I mean, let's go back all the way to the OG Gen 1 games. In those games certain Pokemon like Mr. Mime and Farfetch'd could only be obtained by trading with NPCs. Combined with the lack of breeding in those gens, what this meant is that it was impossible for you to get a version of these Pokemon that was truly your own. Whether you wanted to build a strong team of your favorites (these mons among them) or were shooting for Pokedex completion, there was always this feeling that you only got there via hand-me-downs from the game rather than searching the wild or trading with a friend. The introduction of breeding fixed this issue, but it certainly didn't resolve the issue of in-game trade exclusive Pokemon still being an illogical cop-out (the only explanation for this kind of stuff is that these are endangered species you're handling, but even that excuse feels flimsy at best). Thankfully it seems these sorts of exclusive gift/trade Pokemon have been phased out more and more in recent games; the Let's Go games, despite not having breeding, now let you catch all of the OG 151 in the wild between both versions. And while Sword and Shield have some in-game trades/gifts as well, it seems they can all be caught normally.

Transfering pokemon from Bank to Moon (I'm not even considering getting SS until GF decides to reveal how Home will work, sub probably won't last that long), I can't place a Necrozma because it knows Photon Geyser.

Boy, it sure would be handy if SM had cbeen patched with the new USUM moves and mons, or Bank had been updated with a feature allowing us to delete moves (or any other kind of feature whatsoever)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)