(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

My big problem with Gigantimaxing is that you cannot even use them in official tournaments like the Battle Stadium and VGC. I’m guessing it’s because Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth are event exclusive and the TPC took the lazy way out by banning all of them instead of those 3. Not to mention that all they have to do is list those 3 are banned, no too much effort right.
The fact it's so easy is exactly why I think they're not banning the other 23 or whatever gigantamaxes for "laziness". They're even treated as different species iirc, which is why they can't evolve, so it would as you say be no issue.

I feel like it was done for one of three reasons:
1. the game just came out and gigantamaxes are rare, so it's a grace period of not having to worry about them
2. Gamefreak realized that making competitive ready gigantamaxes is a gigantic pain (G-Max Pain) so this is their weird ass solution to the whole ordeal. Can't just make them breedable though, gotta keep people coming back!
3. They actually consider Gigantamaxing as an event tier thing akin to Mythic pokemon. They've shown they can tweak the appearence rates, I could easily see them eventually cutting them off entirely for certain periods.

But it's gamefreak so there's probably some other insane nonsensical reason we'll find out about in an interview in 3 months

The fact it's so easy is exactly why I think they're not banning the other 23 or whatever gigantamaxes for "laziness". They're even treated as different species iirc, which is why they can't evolve, so it would as you say be no issue.

1. the game just came out and gigantamaxes are rare, so it's a grace period of not having to worry about them
2. Gamefreak realized that making competitive ready gigantamaxes is a gigantic pain (G-Max Pain) so this is their weird ass solution to the whole ordeal. Can't just make them breedable though, gotta keep people coming back!
3. They actually consider Gigantamaxing as an event tier thing akin to Mythic pokemon. They've shown they can tweak the appearence rates, I could easily see them eventually cutting them off entirely for certain periods.

But it's gamefreak so there's probably some other insane nonsensical reason we'll find out about in an interview in 3 months
Where does it say Gigantamax are different species?

I don’t think avalibilty is the issue. If that was the case, Febass should be banned because it was only available 4 tiles in Sinnoh.

The reason I say category is because how the Pokémon company permits which Pokémon can be used in VGC and BSS, not on stats. For example in Gen 6, Zygarde was banned from VGC14 despite having the same BST as Garchomp, due to being in the restricted category.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, five last complaint I have about Raids I forgot:

Barrier Block: I HATE that whenever you use a move that exceeds the threshold for a Raid Pokemon to put up barriers it just voids the rest of the damage. I could understand this for a normal Pokemon uses a neutral/resisted move (which wouldn't be doing that much damage anyway), but when using a super effective move or a Max/G-Max Move this kind of feels like they're giving you the middle finger for daring to think tactically. It's especially worst for 5 Star Raids who's first threshold for barriers is at 90% HP so it's kind of not worth using your Dynamax/Gigantamax when the battle starts, but of course they couldn't leave that well enough alone!

Punishment For Not Using Dynamax (In Single Player): So, first turn of a 5 star Raid Battle I decide not to Dynamax my Pokemon because I know it'll set up a barrier at 90% HP. So instead I decide to not Dynamax and use a normal super effective attack or maybe a status move to buff my Pokemon up or whatever (apparently Raid Pokemon can be afflicted by status ailments but can heal themselves of it). But if you do that you then got to wait 5 turns to Dynamax again! Why? Like, I get for multiplayer the option for who gets to Dynamax cycles around to each player until one uses it which is fine I guess, but even then that's a 3 turn wait for it to cycle back to you. But why in single player Raids do I not only have to wait to Dynamax again when the NPCs obviously won't Dynamax but I have to wait longer to do so? And by the time I can Dynamax again we're sometimes close to the next threshold so would be a waste to immediately Dynamax (again).

Breaking Barriers: Though taking a step back about the barriers, they needed to make those easier to break more of. Unless you use a Max Move you'll only break one barrier and even if you use a Max Move they all break 2. How about instead a non-Dynamax Pokemon using a neutral/resisted move breaks only 1, a non-Dynamax Pokemon using a super effective move breaks 2, a Dynamax Pokemon using a neutral/resisted move breaks 3, and a Dynamax Pokemon using a super effective move breaks all barriers. Why have the Dynamax Pokemon do such huge barrier breaking damage? Because I only have them for 3 turns, I don't want to spend all of them with the Pokemon having a barrier up!
Infact it's almost worth trying to get your Pokemon knocked out when they have a barrier up because a trainer's cheer can instantly break a barrier no matter what level it's at. Well, YOUR cheer, the NPC players don't cheer to break barriers or give the other trainers stat boosts. But still, GF, when having your Pokemon knocked out is considered a better alternative strategy then having them active or even Dynamaxed, you need to rethink a few things concerning the barriers.

Lose Requirements: As far as I can tell, always 4 knockouts or 10 turns pass. Easy for low level Raids, nearly impossible for 5 star Raids (even 4 Star Raids). Especially when it comes to the number of Pokemon that can get knocked out, that needs to be raised at least one every 2 stars. Like from how I see it: 1 Star = 4 KOs/10 Turns, 2 Stars = 4 KOs/11 Turns, 3 Stars = 5 KOs/13 Turns, 4 Stars = 5 KOs/14 Turns, 5 Stars = 6 KOs/15 Turns.

Legendary Busters - Not So: So there's a few things concerning Zacian, Zamazenta, & Eternatus for Raids.
First, none can Dynamax. You enter a Raid with them and it doesn't give you the option (and I hope you weren't the Trainer that was assigned to have the capability to Dynamax otherwise no one is Dynamaxing in that raid thus losing an important tool to winning them). However there is an in-game reason for this: all three have a powerful Signature move that does double damage when used on a Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon. GREAT! That should make them amazing Pokemon to bring into Raids, right? NOPE!
Second, their Signature Move has the same problem above as with super effective moves: they don't ignore the rules of the "Barrier Block". Which is stupid! These moves are meant to take down Dynamax Pokemon! They should either bypass the threshold cap and/or completely break a barrier in one attack. But no, they're as useful as any other super effective moves but this time you don't get the benefits from Dynamaxing your Pokemon (oh, and they also only break 1 piece of barrier since they're not Max Moves). GF what are you thinking?!

I think you got it in 1. They probably want players to first adjust to the new meta (you know, since they cut out half of the dex) and the new Pokemon (plus all the new Moves, Abilities, and Items (or older Pokemon getting access to Moves & Abilities they didn't previously)).

I find it hard to believe they'll keep this ban for long, especially since they're now on a near yearly basis with game releases.

He's talking about the Event Meowth, Pikachu, and Eevee. They're probably programmed as different species to cut them off from evolving.

Which is true, means we now have technically 4 versions of the Meowth family: Kantonian, Alolan, Galarian, & Gigantamax.

If that was the case, Febass should be banned because it was only available 4 tiles in Sinnoh.
Eh, Feebas, had to spent nearly an hour fishing behind the Professor's House to get one (and yes I went to the middle island where there's two fishing spots). Thankfully already had a Prism Scale (not sure where I got one) so I was able to evolve it over this Thanksgiving when I went over to my cousins who also got the game (as well as getting most of the version exclusives, at least of the new Pokemon, for older Pokemon I can wait for HOME). Seriously, they need to get rid of the 1, 2, 5 percent encounter rates as they're no fun to look for. Like I and my cousins spent nearly two hours looking for a Stonjourner (yeah, even I was surprised it took that long because I got two Eiscue rather quickly)!

Actually, that reminds me of another complaint I have:

Wild Area Weather: So, I've yet to catch myself a Corsola, Togepi, Cottonee, Solosis, Sableye, Mimikyu, Drampa, Goomy, and Dreepy. Not because I don't want to or am lazy, but because it hasn't been the right weather in the Wild Area. From the last time I checked Serebii, these Pokemon are only found in the Wild Area and the zones they're found in has to be a certain weather for them to appear. And since the Wild Area only changes weather at midnight, that means if the weather isn't what you need it to be then f*** you!
First off I can think of a few other routes or places you could put these Pokemon, why are they restricted to just the Wild Area? Also, if some Pokemon only appeared in certain weather, why not have the Wild Area change weather more frequently or maybe have the Pokemon not restricted to a few certain zones. While I may still be prevented from catching them for a certain amount of time, it hopefully wouldn't be for days. (Casually mention of them removing GTS goes here).

Oh, five last complaint I have about Raids I forgot:

Barrier Block: I HATE that whenever you use a move that exceeds the threshold for a Raid Pokemon to put up barriers it just voids the rest of the damage. I could understand this for a normal Pokemon uses a neutral/resisted move (which wouldn't be doing that much damage anyway), but when using a super effective move or a Max/G-Max Move this kind of feels like they're giving you the middle finger for daring to think tactically. It's especially worst for 5 Star Raids who's first threshold for barriers is at 90% HP so it's kind of not worth using your Dynamax/Gigantamax when the battle starts, but of course they couldn't leave that well enough alone!

Punishment For Not Using Dynamax (In Single Player): So, first turn of a 5 star Raid Battle I decide not to Dynamax my Pokemon because I know it'll set up a barrier at 90% HP. So instead I decide to not Dynamax and use a normal super effective attack or maybe a status move to buff my Pokemon up or whatever (apparently Raid Pokemon can be afflicted by status ailments but can heal themselves of it). But if you do that you then got to wait 5 turns to Dynamax again! Why? Like, I get for multiplayer the option for who gets to Dynamax cycles around to each player until one uses it which is fine I guess, but even then that's a 3 turn wait for it to cycle back to you. But why in single player Raids do I not only have to wait to Dynamax again when the NPCs obviously won't Dynamax but I have to wait longer to do so? And by the time I can Dynamax again we're sometimes close to the next threshold so would be a waste to immediately Dynamax (again).

Breaking Barriers: Though taking a step back about the barriers, they needed to make those easier to break more of. Unless you use a Max Move you'll only break one barrier and even if you use a Max Move they all break 2. How about instead a non-Dynamax Pokemon using a neutral/resisted move breaks only 1, a non-Dynamax Pokemon using a super effective move breaks 2, a Dynamax Pokemon using a neutral/resisted move breaks 3, and a Dynamax Pokemon using a super effective move breaks all barriers. Why have the Dynamax Pokemon do such huge barrier breaking damage? Because I only have them for 3 turns, I don't want to spend all of them with the Pokemon having a barrier up!
Infact it's almost worth trying to get your Pokemon knocked out when they have a barrier up because a trainer's cheer can instantly break a barrier no matter what level it's at. Well, YOUR cheer, the NPC players don't cheer to break barriers or give the other trainers stat boosts. But still, GF, when having your Pokemon knocked out is considered a better alternative strategy then having them active or even Dynamaxed, you need to rethink a few things concerning the barriers.

Lose Requirements: As far as I can tell, always 4 knockouts or 10 turns pass. Easy for low level Raids, nearly impossible for 5 star Raids (even 4 Star Raids). Especially when it comes to the number of Pokemon that can get knocked out, that needs to be raised at least one every 2 stars. Like from how I see it: 1 Star = 4 KOs/10 Turns, 2 Stars = 4 KOs/11 Turns, 3 Stars = 5 KOs/13 Turns, 4 Stars = 5 KOs/14 Turns, 5 Stars = 6 KOs/15 Turns.

Legendary Busters - Not So: So there's a few things concerning Zacian, Zamazenta, & Eternatus for Raids.
First, none can Dynamax. You enter a Raid with them and it doesn't give you the option (and I hope you weren't the Trainer that was assigned to have the capability to Dynamax otherwise no one is Dynamaxing in that raid thus losing an important tool to winning them). However there is an in-game reason for this: all three have a powerful Signature move that does double damage when used on a Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon. GREAT! That should make them amazing Pokemon to bring into Raids, right? NOPE!
Second, their Signature Move has the same problem above as with super effective moves: they don't ignore the rules of the "Barrier Block". Which is stupid! These moves are meant to take down Dynamax Pokemon! They should either bypass the threshold cap and/or completely break a barrier in one attack. But no, they're as useful as any other super effective moves but this time you don't get the benefits from Dynamaxing your Pokemon (oh, and they also only break 1 piece of barrier since they're not Max Moves). GF what are you thinking?!

I think you got it in 1. They probably want players to first adjust to the new meta (you know, since they cut out half of the dex) and the new Pokemon (plus all the new Moves, Abilities, and Items (or older Pokemon getting access to Moves & Abilities they didn't previously)).

I find it hard to believe they'll keep this ban for long, especially since they're now on a near yearly basis with game releases.

He's talking about the Event Meowth, Pikachu, and Eevee. They're probably programmed as different species to cut them off from evolving.

Which is true, means we now have technically 4 versions of the Meowth family: Kantonian, Alolan, Galarian, & Gigantamax.

Eh, Feebas, had to spent nearly an hour fishing behind the Professor's House to get one (and yes I went to the middle island where there's two fishing spots). Thankfully already had a Prism Scale (not sure where I got one) so I was able to evolve it over this Thanksgiving when I went over to my cousins who also got the game (as well as getting most of the version exclusives, at least of the new Pokemon, for older Pokemon I can wait for HOME). Seriously, they need to get rid of the 1, 2, 5 percent encounter rates as they're no fun to look for. Like I and my cousins spent nearly two hours looking for a Stonjourner (yeah, even I was surprised it took that long because I got two Eiscue rather quickly)!

Actually, that reminds me of another complaint I have:

Wild Area Weather: So, I've yet to catch myself a Corsola, Togepi, Cottonee, Solosis, Sableye, Mimikyu, Drampa, Goomy, and Dreepy. Not because I don't want to or am lazy, but because it hasn't been the right weather in the Wild Area. From the last time I checked Serebii, these Pokemon are only found in the Wild Area and the zones they're found in has to be a certain weather for them to appear. And since the Wild Area only changes weather at midnight, that means if the weather isn't what you need it to be then f*** you!
First off I can think of a few other routes or places you could put these Pokemon, why are they restricted to just the Wild Area? Also, if some Pokemon only appeared in certain weather, why not have the Wild Area change weather more frequently or maybe have the Pokemon not restricted to a few certain zones. While I may still be prevented from catching them for a certain amount of time, it hopefully wouldn't be for days. (Casually mention of them removing GTS goes here).
I doubt TPC is going to change there stance on Gigantamaxing. Keep in mind that VGC20 starts in January 4th, so there is a lot of time to obtain Gigantamax Pokemon before then. Besides, despite Deoxys being obtainable in ORAS is still allowed in VGC16.

I also agree that the weather is poorly handled in the Wild Area. Your going through intense sun in one area, the next one you walk into is a blizzard. Not only are those encounters dependent on weather, but Sligoo is apparently a 2% encounters in Thunderstorms. I ended throwing wishing pieces at Axew’s Eye until I found myself a 5 star Goodra raid. It was a lot easier.

While we’re on the topic of Feebas:

1.I’m annoyed that Milotic was not in the Kalos Pokedex. Kalos’s theme is beauty, and Milotic is said to be the most beautiful Pokémon of all. Not to mention that there is statue of Milotic at Parfum Palace, and Milotic’s name in Japan comes from the same Greek Word that means beauty, which Kalos derives itself from.

2. I don’t see why Feebas has to be more elusive than Magikarp. They are both fish Pokémon with same values who evolve into serpents with the exact same base stat values, just rearranged. Yet every game bar Gen 5, Magikarp has always been the easiest one to obtain.

3. I really dislike Feebas’s methods of catching in Hoenn and Sinnoh. I’m not sure how any child is supposed to figure out those methods without a guide.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I’m annoyed that Milotic was not in the Kalos Pokedex. Kalos’s theme is beauty, and Milotic is said to be the most beautiful Pokémon of all. Not to mention that there is statue of Milotic at Parfum Palace, and Milotic’s name in Japan comes from the same Greek Word that means beauty, which Kalos derives itself from.
Not that I disagree, but Kalos is based on France not Greece. Though I would love to have a Greece region cause major opportunity for a lot of Greek Mythological creatures to be turned into Pokemon (then again England also had quite a bit of mythological creatures (including many faeries) though not a lot of them got turned into Pokemon).

EDIT: Oh, now I get it. Sorry, probably should go to bed now, lol.

Last edited:
Not that I disagree, but Kalos is based on France not Greece. Though I would love to have a Greece region cause major opportunity for a lot of Greek Mythological creatures to be turned into Pokemon (then again England also had quite a bit of mythological creatures (including many faeries) though not a lot of them got turned into Pokemon).
Actually, I believe they were referring to etymology.

Apparently, "kalos" = "beauty" in Ancient Greek, which is why they mentioned Milotic's Japanese name (Milokaross) as being related to it. I don't think the country of Greece itself was being referred to.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Milotic_(Pokémon)#Origin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty

I also agree that the weather is poorly handled in the Wild Area. Your going through intense sun in one area, the next one you walk into is a blizzard.
The explanation must be that the strong Pokemon in the various areas are able to influence the weather, as we know they can, but their impact generally extends only for a short distance around them. A bunch of Vanillite gathering in an area can lead to a blizzard (which causes more of them to come out or move toward that area), and then Vulpix gravitate toward another nearby area because they don't like the snow/hail, and that one becomes sunnier, etc.

Obviously what's really going on is that GF didn't give a shit about the fact that the changes between areas would be so abrupt and hurt the credibility of the areas (unless you actively think of a justification on your own like the above).

I don’t think avalibilty is the issue. If that was the case, Febass should be banned because it was only available 4 tiles in Sinnoh.

The reason I say category is because how the Pokémon company permits which Pokémon can be used in VGC and BSS, not on stats. For example in Gen 6, Zygarde was banned from VGC14 despite having the same BST as Garchomp, due to being in the restricted category.
I meant the eevee, pikachu & meowth are literally treated differently, internally. They can't evolve. It's like all those hat pikachu. They really could just ban the 3 weirdos and be fine

but i'm glad you mentioned zygarde because iirc the way the ban list works is they have each legendary pokemon put into a "sublegend" and "legendary" category with the former being allowed and the latter being restricted. Maybe we can have a dataminer poke around and see what the ban list looks like. Maybe they just look for a g-max flag, rather than individual pokemon, in which case you're basically right they did just take the lazy route

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I really dislike Feebas’s methods of catching in Hoenn and Sinnoh. I’m not sure how any child is supposed to figure out those methods without a guide.
...which is precisely the intention. How would they sell guides otherwise?

Also, echoing what Pikachu315111 said about Raids in general and about the Wild Area weather. I know there is an exploit where you can change the date on the Switch repeatedly to get the weather you want, but playing the game the way Game Freak intended, certain Pokémon become awfully hard to catch. I've wanted to use Solosis in-game this time, but it's only available in one specific part of the Wild Area under one specific weather condition, which has yet to appear during the two weeks I've had the game. I really can't fathom how nobody saw (or cared) how extremely inconvenient this implementation would be for players. "Want to use Solosis, that cool Pokémon you just saw Bede use, against Bea? Better be patient for a few weeks, hope you don't plan to progress in the game in the meantime."

...which is precisely the intention. How would they sell guides otherwise?

Also, echoing what Pikachu315111 said about Raids in general and about the Wild Area weather. I know there is an exploit where you can change the date on the Switch repeatedly to get the weather you want, but playing the game the way Game Freak intended, certain Pokémon become awfully hard to catch. I've wanted to use Solosis in-game this time, but it's only available in one specific part of the Wild Area under one specific weather condition, which has yet to appear during the two weeks I've had the game. I really can't fathom how nobody saw (or cared) how extremely inconvenient this implementation would be for players. "Want to use Solosis, that cool Pokémon you just saw Bede use, against Bea? Better be patient for a few weeks, hope you don't plan to progress in the game in the meantime."
This was exactly my experience. One of the reasons I got Shield was because I'd never used Goomy before, and maybe this would finally be my chance. Getting it at least can't be as terrible as it was in Gen 7, right?

It ended up being one of the last Pokémon registered in my Pokédex and I used Haxorus instead.

I entirely agree with these complaints about the poorly-implemented weather system.

I think they could (COULD) be tolerated at least a little if they changed every few hours, instead of daily.

I would simply have made it a case of it for the most part changing the rarity of a Pokémon vs. whether they appear at all.

Like, maybe say Solosis and Corsola can always appear; but in their designated weather condition, they rise from 5% to 30% or something. Or perhaps Drampa only spawns in the wild area at a 25% rate in thunderstorms, but can be found at a 3% chance on Route 10. I think that would keep the interesting aspect of it all intact while not completely locking off a particular Pokémon you want to use.

Frankly, it's a bit stupid that Pokémon that can only appear in one weather condition have such low encounter rates, and some not even on the overworld. A good example I can think of is one I already mentioned, Drampa; it has a 2% chance of appearing as a non-overworld encounter at the Lake of Outrage grass under thunderstorms only. How is one supposed to know this -- especially when no trainer in the game actually has a Drampa, hence you can't check your Pokédex for location info and are left wondering what this strange gap in your dex is? You'd end up thinking Falinks has an evolution or something.

Some other things I find obnoxious:

I dislike how Y-Comm prevents you from going participating from raid battles when you are doing I’m doing a surprise trade - often there is a rare battle and I want to participate but I have to stop my surprise trade. It’s really annoying and I don’t see why they could not have both simultaneously.

I also dislike Alcriemie’s forms, and by extended, purely cosmetic form changes. I just find them a waste and very unesscary. Alcremie has 40 varieties where requires 40 of the same items. It just seems to exist to make Alcremie look unique, which just feels like a waste, and they could dedicate that time somewhere else.

I would simply have made it a case of it for the most part changing the rarity of a Pokémon vs. whether they appear at all.

Like, maybe say Solosis and Corsola can always appear; but in their designated weather condition, they rise from 5% to 30% or something. Or perhaps Drampa only spawns in the wild area at a 25% rate in thunderstorms, but can be found at a 3% chance on Route 10. I think that would keep the interesting aspect of it all intact while not completely locking off a particular Pokémon you want to use.

Frankly, it's a bit stupid that Pokémon that can only appear in one weather condition have such low encounter rates, and some not even on the overworld. A good example I can think of is one I already mentioned, Drampa; it has a 2% chance of appearing as a non-overworld encounter at the Lake of Outrage grass under thunderstorms only. How is one supposed to know this -- especially when no trainer in the game actually has a Drampa, hence you can't check your Pokédex for location info and are left wondering what this strange gap in your dex is? You'd end up thinking Falinks has an evolution or something.
There are so many Pokemon with horrible rates, it's insane. And often, if they show up in multiple places....they STILL have terrible rates.

Take Stonjourner for example. It will show up on Route 10 at 2% and also the Lake of Outrage. At 2%. In the grass. In Intense Sun.
It does show up at the Lake of Rage in the grass with Sandstorm at a whopping 5% rate though!!!!

Lake of Outrage in general is just awful for this. Dreepy/Drakloach are both 1 or 2% encounters in only certain weathers. Rotom is a 2% in a thunderstorm. Stonjourner as mentioned before, alongside Eiscue. Deino/Goomy. Turtonator/Drampa.
Jangmo-o/Larviatar at least have a more reasonable 5% rate but are still weather locked; Kommo-o/Tyranitar at least are available as special encounters elsewhere at fairly reasonable rates.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That's what they did in Gen V. While certain Pokemon were more likely to appear in a certain season, you can still always encounter them on the route but it may just take a while.

I also dislike Alcriemie’s forms, and by extended, purely cosmetic form changes. I just find them a waste and very unesscary. Alcremie has 40 varieties where requires 40 of the same items. It just seems to exist to make Alcremie look unique, which just feels like a waste, and they could dedicate that time somewhere else.
I like it, but I'll admit it does feel excessive at points. I think they should have chopped some of the flavors that is only a lighter/darker shade of another. I would have tossed the Ruby Swirl and Caramel Swirl.

Some other things I find obnoxious:

I dislike how Y-Comm prevents you from going participating from raid battles when you are doing I’m doing a surprise trade - often there is a rare battle and I want to participate but I have to stop my surprise trade. It’s really annoying and I don’t see why they could not have both simultaneously.

As excessive as it is, I suspect it probably didn't take that much time to implement. Twirling as a mechanic already existed, so its just adding flags to check for, and the Alcremie's are just pallet swaps. The decorations are also not very complex in terms of modeling, either.
not effortless, but at best we'd probably get maybe like...some extra currey jpegs.

Also, it just occurred to me...the gimmick is totally incompatible with Gigantamax isn't it? Since the one you find in Dens would probably be hard locked to the default flavor? I wonder if there might be unused pallets for g-max alcremie or not...

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Because this came up in the SwSh thread, I'm absolutely not a fan of the new Type: Null lore. Quick background - apparently the Aether Foundation research data leaked and so Type: Nulls started being created in Galar. Imagine what kind of day that would have been.

Leak: "these are failed experiments that don't accomplish what we wanted and go berserk unless they're fitted with these specific restraints"

Scientist: "sounds neat let's make some"

brilliant sir you've cracked the code

This goes hand in hand with how Type: Null is actually obtained in the game. Here's the script for the NPC who hands it over.

Mugou!
Electric Memory—on! This’ll help save on the electric bill!
Gumuuu?
Guess it really doesn’t work until Type: Null evolves. Drat...
Oh, Champion [VAR TRNAME(0000)]. It probably goes without saying at this point, but congratulations on your victory!
To commemorate your achievements, I present you with this rare Pokémon—Type: Null!
Ah, and these, too.
[VAR TRNAME(0000)] received memories!
To sum it up: this is a random battle tower person who is attempting to use the manufactured being who needs to be fitted with restraints to not go mad as their personal generator and abandoning it when it can't do that, if you're being uncharitable.

So in all- the data that would absolutely have to explain that Type: Null is a failed experiment was leaked and so somebody thought it'd be a great idea to start creating the abominations en masse. From what we get in the conversation where Type: Null is obtained, the reasoning seems to have become to use the knock off copies of pokegod in order to act as household slaves. Put in the electric memory to generate power. Water memory for the dishes? Fire memory in the winter?

No wonder Arceus doesn't show up in Galar. It wasn't banned, it just gave up on the region in disgust.

Reading between the lines it seems like Macro Cosmos got ahold of the Type Null data and probably comissioned one to be made. Probably for those exact reasons the girl who gives it to you mentions: possibly using the type changing to help with energy and such.
Silvally, meanwhile, is a known quantity so it's not that much of a failure, you just have to get to the trust stage.

"Wow that sounds dumb plan on their part" to which I must instantly point to Macros Cosmos
deciding that doing extremely dangerous experiments (that can & will affect pokemon, people, the environment) to revive an ancient dragon that is known in universe to have caused one of the region's literal & figurative darkest days because it might solve an energy crisis.
so it seems in line with their thinking

alternatively
Eternatus isn't too dissimilar to an ultra beast. Making a type null with the intent to get to the silvally stage may have also been in the cards. But oops, did the exact same mistakes, hubris, etc etc etc

One thing that annoys me a little bit is moves/abilities whose effects have a few unnecessary "loopholes" that just undermine their own uses. To exemplify what I mean:

-Sheer Force doesn't work with moves that have a higher Critical Hit chance. I know this technically isn't a secondary effect due to the way those moves are coded, but it definetly should count as one

-Moves that can't miss (Shock Wave, Aerial Ace, Disarming Voice, etc) will still miss if the opponent uses Dig/Fly/Dive (except for Gen 1, where they still hit), which greatly diminishes their utility in-game.

-Rock Head doesn't prevent the recoil taken from (High) Jump Kick, even though it counts as a recoil move for Reckless. It also doesn't prevent Life Orb's damage, but Sheer Force does for some reason???

-Sticky Hold will not protect the Pokémon's hold item if it was taken/destroyed by the same move that made the Pokémon faint in that same turn. This was not the case in Gen 3/4, it was deliberately changed in Gen 5

-Fling doesn't work with Gems for some reason

-Sky Drop. In general. This thing has a billion of bizarre restrictions, and is an incredibly cumbersome move to use

-Synchronize doesn't work with Sleep or Freeze

My random annoyance: the daycare has gotten more streamlined, but also more misclick prone aswell. The number of times I've tried to withdraw my other Pokemon and accidentally taken Ditto out aswell (because it prompts you to do so twice with no confirmation, and the first Pokemon in is at the top of the list) is unreal.

It's just 500 dollars, but it's moderately annoying when I have to find the Ditto in my boxes to deposit it again.

It also moderately bugs me that Sheer Force has so many counterintuitive interactions, especially with things like Life Orb recoil being prevented only sometimes, and cancelling Red Card.

The Draco Meteor tutor requiring maxed out happiness was cool in gen 4, but now just feels like needless busywork. Is this still a thing in gen 8?

Finally, I really dislike Misty Terrain's effect of halving Dragon moves. 99% of the time it's useless because the thing setting it is already immune, and the rest of the time, it just further ruins what is already arguably the worst attacking type in the game -- though the removal of Return means Normal probably gets that spot again.

If it did, it would cause a lot of bullcrap to the Synch user's opponent. Most likely why it doesn't pass those statuses on.
That's the whole point of the ability, though. It's supposed to make statusing the thing really annoying, and I don't think making sleep riskier to apply (or random freezes less crippling for the recipient) is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Here's two that's been on my mind recently while dealing with Lake of Outrage:
1. Putting the evolved form of the Pokemon right next to the unevolved form
2. Putting the evolved form at a point where they're already about to evolve

The former, to be clear...I don't mind if the evolved form is rarer or hard to get. Shaking grass 5% encounter Cinccino on the same route Minccino exists doesn't bug me. Or SOS encounters that bring in their evolved versions. Or even the Forest thing of oh here's wurmple but here's a 5% chance for a silcoon. But sometimes you'll get instances of it being equal in rates or sometimes less. Mantyke is usually found right next to Mantine.
But then you have something like Clobbopus being found on the same route where there are multiple, catchable-on-first-pass Grapplocts. LIke...why? Or how Dreepy is a 2% encounter but at the same time you can find Dracloak.

And for #2 there's all kinds of examples but also both apply to Clobbo and Dreepy. Clobbpus evolves when it learns Taunt, which is at level 35; every wild one yo ucan catch already knows the move. The absolute earliest you can get Dreppy is Lake of Outrage at the lowest level of 50. Dreepy evolves at level 50. It is 10 levels away from reaching Dragapult. same with most pseudos at the lake of outrage.
This also applies to things like Jangmo-o in SM and even Mime Jr/Bonsly back in DP (who iirc, were just straight up replaced by Sudowoodo & Mr Mime). It makes these pokemon feel tacked on (well...more so in the latter section, babies have their OWN set of annoyances we're all aware of). Like you could excise them entirely and not lose much of anything.

Okay, I really didn’t like the Eternatus raid battle. I had a terrible lead, so between status turn 1, one attack, and then switching, I did actually nothing to it. I still won easily, because the two legends just crushed Eternatus. Actual raid battles are significantly harder, and I vastly prefer those. It seems like they didn’t want their big fight to have a failure state, but I was just as much dead weight as the average AI with a Magikarp and I still won. That’s not good for one of the big fights, even though the previous Eternatus fight was appropriately difficult.
I also didn’t like the fact that they made the main char so expressive. I’m sure it was a response to the “Moon is a sociopath” meme, and I get why, but it felt a bit like them telling me “you should be feeling awe and wonder here. Aren’t you impressed?” And that just made me feel annoyed instead, when otherwise I actually would have felt awe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)