(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Not a fan of the goofy poses for Z moves. Makes the battle feel less serious
...especially when most of the mons are barely animated as well, so it looks even more hilarious

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To not make it a one-liner, I find it really head-scratching that Galar's in-universe most popular Pokémon just happens to be Charizard, Machamp and Gengar (if I recall correctly) according to a poster, instead of just Charizard - because of association with Leon so that one was fair enough - and two Galar Pokémon associated with high-ranked Gym Leaders (such as Duraludon). Little details that focus on Kanto Pokémon like this ends up undermining Galar's uniqueness it tried to even have.
Machamp is Bea's ace and Gengar is Allister's ace. So there is some reason why those two are popular... though that goes back further to why GF made GMax for those two instead of a new Fighting- and Ghost-type. At this point it feels like it goes beyond pandering and GF just defaults to Gen I because it's a comfort zone for them and they don't care/realize how annoying it is them giving Gen I so much attention over all other generations (more importantly recent generations that new players would be more familiar with even if they played Let's Go).

I mean ORAS teeeechnically introduced a new mechanic with Primal Reversion.
Primal Reversion was just a different form of Mega Evolution, same with the method to Mega Evolve Rayquaza.

Not a fan of the goofy poses for Z moves. Makes the battle feel less serious
...especially when most of the mons are barely animated as well, so it looks even more hilarious
Yeah, I get the kiddies may like it but not that many poses are even dynamic or cool looking so kind of defeats the purpose of doing power poses. If they gave an option to skip the poses I would turn it on as doesn't really add anything.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Machamp is Bea's ace and Gengar is Allister's ace. So there is some reason why those two are popular... though that goes back further to why GF made GMax for those two instead of a new Fighting- and Ghost-type. At this point it feels like it goes beyond pandering and GF just defaults to Gen I because it's a comfort zone for them and they don't care/realize how annoying it is them giving Gen I so much attention over all other generations (more importantly recent generations that new players would be more familiar with even if they played Let's Go).
Staying in the comfort zone for so long not only potentially harms further potential creativity, but also might make the stagnation to become even worse if GF weren't delicate enough (which I bet they might not be even that). If the next region's people constantly praise Kanto at the expense of their own region, that would hurt the next region's uniqueness and even mechanics even further.

Innovation isn't just reserved for the gameplay department for good reasons.

If the next region's people constantly praise Kanto at the expense of their own region, that would hurt the next region's uniqueness and even mechanics even further.
Well watch as Gen 9:
-Takes place in a region called New Kanto, which has been terraformed to be exactly like KANTOOOOOOOO
-Has every NPC gushing about the original KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Except for the evil team, see below)
-Has the evil team want to stop the KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pandering, which will be treated as The Worst Thing Ever In The History Of Ever (TM)
-Has the (begrudgingly introduced) 20 or so new Pokemon be 1% encounter rates with a Catch Rate of 1 and garbage stats and movepools so as not to overshadow the 'mons from KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
-Cuts every 'mon not related to a KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 'mon (and even the ones not introduced in Gen 1 are kept begrudgingly)
-Etc. etc.

Literally the ONLY pieces of Volcarona merch across both Pokemon Centers are a badge of it and Alder, and a keychain (they're also both sold out).

They've got plushes of other bugs, like Scolipede and Venomoth. Why no Volcarona plush?
:psycry:
ugh yeah I totally feel your pain there. no hate to pikachu but it kinda sucks when they have 50 different "pikachu in costume" plushes and hardly any bugs outside of gens 1 and 2 (in the sitting cuties collection I think it's called). plus volcarona was pretty hyped up in gen 5, being super rare and also alder's signature 'mon.

Yeah wait that is bizarre, Volcarona is a pretty notable pokemon and easily very marketable.

In fact so bizarre, I had a suspicion that it did exist but is out of print in Japan and just hadn't been reissued since then; and old enough for the english Pokemon center to just never get it. And sure enough...
https://pokevault.com/VolcaronaMPCPlushKeychain

This is from the "My Pokemon Collection" plush, and seems to have been placed into UFO catchers back during gen 5

There's also the usual takaratomy figurine (also out of print)
https://www.amazon.com/Takaratomy-P...KYHV8CFVXS2&psc=1&refRID=167SDNZF5KYHV8CFVXS2

it is still strange that a Pokemon like this never got a lot of merchandise, though. Feels like something they'd trot out more often.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Well watch as Gen 9:
-Takes place in a region called New Kanto, which has been terraformed to be exactly like KANTOOOOOOOO
-Has every NPC gushing about the original KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (Except for the evil team, see below)
-Has the evil team want to stop the KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pandering, which will be treated as The Worst Thing Ever In The History Of Ever (TM)
-Has the (begrudgingly introduced) 20 or so new Pokemon be 1% encounter rates with a Catch Rate of 1 and garbage stats and movepools so as not to overshadow the 'mons from KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
-Cuts every 'mon not related to a KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 'mon (and even the ones not introduced in Gen 1 are kept begrudgingly)
-Etc. etc.
They don't need an entirely new game for this! They just gotta do another remake or re-release of gen 2

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As a long.time RPG player, I think we need a jump button, no RPG is a real game if you can't spam jump while walking :(
But why? What in Pokemon would require a (manual) jump button outside of ledges. Heck, ledges don't even need a manual jump button, just us getting close to the ledge and asking us "do you want to jump up/climb up/scale the ledge?".

Why do most G-max moves have the same animation as the Max move of the same type?
Because they're lazy/rushed. (Come on, what did you think the answer was going to be?)

Another possibility is that since they likely made the Dynamax Moves first, they spent their imagination what a "super move" of that Pokemon Type was going to be so instead of trying to come up with something else/create entirely new assets they just took the DMax move and added a few details & special effects. It maybe could have worked but for many of them they just don't go far enough with the re-skin.

Why do most G-max moves have the same animation as the Max move of the same type? The only one I can think of with a fully unique animation is Vine Lash.
Probably budget saving. Easier to change the particle effects or textures of the moves.

So far as moves go, max moves are very cinematic to make so they were probably more intensive on the budget. Doing it this way likely made it easier for there to be like...28 g-max moves, in addition to the 19 max moevs.
If there were fewer of them they'd probably have gotten more involved, which we can kind of see in the new g-maxes having more distinct camera angles and particle effects.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Literally the ONLY pieces of Volcarona merch across both Pokemon Centers are a badge of it and Alder, and a keychain (they're also both sold out).

They've got plushes of other bugs, like Scolipede and Venomoth. Why no Volcarona plush?
It might have something to do with the ... circumstances.

Pokémon Go had an event around the Solstice where they showcased Fire-type Pokémon one week and Bug-type Pokémon the week after. Larvesta was found added to the code, and everything seemed lined up for its big debut. Then somebody must have realized that releasing the corona Pokémon at this point in time might be ... unwise.

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
This thread is really long so I imagine this has been brought up before, but here's something I was ranting about a couple days ago. When your Pokemon levels up and learns a new move (at least in the 3DS games, since those are the only ones I've played), you can't press B to make it refuse learning the move. You have to scroll and actually click the option that makes it not learn the move. Isn't the B button kind of the universal "cancel" button in the Pokemon games? It messes with my A-B spamming when a Pokemon wants to learn a move I don't want them to.

This one also annoys me but it actually makes sense as a feature I think. Like I said I don't like stuff that interferes with me spamming A and B. So when my Pokemon evolve, I temporarily have to leave my buttons alone to not cancel the evolution. Since B is the general cancelling button this does make sense, but it still annoys me. Maybe if it was the X button instead? The letter X is also associated with closing or stopping stuff, but probably moreso IRL than in Pokemon. It would also make it much harder for people to accidentally stop their Pokemon from evolving, if they don't know that B stops evolution.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This thread is really long so I imagine this has been brought up before, but here's something I was ranting about a couple days ago. When your Pokemon levels up and learns a new move (at least in the 3DS games, since those are the only ones I've played), you can't press B to make it refuse learning the move. You have to scroll and actually click the option that makes it not learn the move. Isn't the B button kind of the universal "cancel" button in the Pokemon games? It messes with my A-B spamming when a Pokemon wants to learn a move I don't want them to.
Honestly, with them now having the Move Reminder be free in every Pokemon Center, they might as well go all the way and just have your Pokemon remember all Moves that it learned via the status screens and you just place the moves you want as its active moveset.

"But wouldn't that be too OP? What's stopping someone from swapping out a move with low/0 PP with one with full/high PP?"

Just make it so a moveslot "locks" if that move is missing any PP. That way they either need to restore the move to max PP or use a healing spot in order to switch around moves.

That way when your Pokemon learns a new move you don't have to mess around with menus in a middle of a battle if you don't want to learn the move at the moment or accidentally "cancel" learning it, it'll be in your Pokemon's status screen for you to swap in whenever you want. Meanwhile the Move Reminder would still be needed to teach evolved Pokemon those secret "Level 1" moves.

This one also annoys me but it actually makes sense as a feature I think. Like I said I don't like stuff that interferes with me spamming A and B. So when my Pokemon evolve, I temporarily have to leave my buttons alone to not cancel the evolution. Since B is the general cancelling button this does make sense, but it still annoys me. Maybe if it was the X button instead? The letter X is also associated with closing or stopping stuff, but probably moreso IRL than in Pokemon. It would also make it much harder for people to accidentally stop their Pokemon from evolving, if they don't know that B stops evolution.
I guess they could put the evolution cancel button on the X button, or you could also just no spam the A & B button when a Pokemon is evolving. What are you button spamming for? It's like 1 or 2 text boxes, the evolution sequence, and then a few more text boxes after that (plus a possible dex entry), I think you can stop the button spamming for those 10 seconds. :blobnom:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)