(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Like what?
Yeah, there's really not that many unless you REALLY want to stretch things. Like the most obvious ones I can think of are:
  • Charizard (Fire/Dragon)
  • Spearow family (Dark/Flying)
  • Psyduck family (Water/Psychic)
  • Chansey (Normal/Fairy)
  • Seadra (Water/Dragon; Horsea is fine as pure Water)
  • Pinsir (Bug/Fighting)
  • Gyarados (Water/Dragon or Water/Dark)
  • Porygon (Normal/Electric; Conversation can be changed so it makes Porygon into a mono-type)
  • MAYBE Mew (Psychic/Fairy; though I wouldn't make Mewtwo into a Psychic/Dark)

Yeah, there's really not that many unless you REALLY want to stretch things. Like the most obvious ones I can think of are:

Charizard (Fire/Dragon)
Spearow family (Dark/Flying)
Psyduck family (Water/Psychic)
Chansey (Normal/Fairy)
Seadra (Water/Dragon)
Pinsir (Bug/Fighting)
Gyarados (Water/Dragon or Water/Dark)
Porygon (Normal/Electric)
You stole my Thunder, Mr. Pikachu315111 but your name is apt for that.

My other additions:

Oddish family (Grass/Dark)
Blastoise (Water/Steel)
Ekans family (Poison/Dark)
Zubat family (Poison/Ghost)
Mankey family (Fighting/Dark)

You stole my Thunder, Mr. Pikachu315111 but your name is apt for that.

My other additions:

Blastoise (Water/Steel)
OK so...I can understand Blastoise (the water canons). And while I don't agree at all I can kind of see Oddish (the...moon connection, I guess) & Mankey (the anger? Though that's not really dark's forte)

But why would Zubat ever be ghost type

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Blastoise (Water/Steel)
  • Why Dark for Oddish family? Remember the idea behind the Dark-type is they have a bad attitude, fight dirty, or are generally "edgy/moody" (though this is a rare group, think Umbreon and Absol). If I'd change the Oddish family to anything it would be Grass/Fairy (infact I would suggest that Type change for Bellossom anyway). But Poison does make sense if you take into context the basis of the Oddish family. First, Oddish itself is based on the mandrake, a mythical creature which is famed to be able to kill with its screams but is also poisonous. Meanwhile Gloom and Vileplume are both based on the rafflesia arnoldii, one of a few plants called a "corpse flower" as it releases a horrible smell which could make you feel nauseous (it's meant to attract flies and other bugs which normally feed on dead flesh so that it can spray them with pollen).
  • I was debating making Blastoise Water/Steel, however decided against it as aside from the water cannons there's nothing "steel" about it. And you could fudge that the cannons are made from a material other than metal, like I always assumed they were made from a hard keratin like your nails.
  • Ekans is no Darker than any other predatory animal.
  • Are you only saying Zubat family should be Ghost because they're based on Vampire Bats? Eh, that's kind of a weak justification as they didn't incorporate any folkloric "vampire" traits, only the vampire bat trait of drinking blood. Granted, not sure where GF got the idea to make them Poison-type (guess cause some can spread blood born diseases if infected?), but I think they've made it work.
  • Mankey family... alright. I can sort of see it, though maybe something more for a regional variant which are normally angry but calm under certain conditions.
BTW, I would say we're all dangerously close to wishlisting. Not that we shouldn't discuss this, but I would suggest only listing Type changes if you really think it was something that GF should have done instead of something you'd think would be cool (for example I think you could make a convincing argument for Ninetales being Fire/Fairy or Fire/Ghost and Arcanine being Fire/Dragon based on their mythical inspirations, but it's not really a change they're desperately needing or apparent to their design).

Charizard I think we all agree that Dragon makes sense more than Flying !
Butterfree Bug Flying doesn't make sense for me ! Pure Bug or Bug Psychic with all these connections to Psychic moves. Having so tiny wings doesn't make sense for being a Flying type
Vulpix / Ninetales Pure Fire doesn't work for me. Psychic or Fairy with Fire should have been more logic !
Venonat/moth I know the Venom part of the name implies Poison, but I think Venonat/moth should have been Bug/Psychic !
Psyduck / Golduck Psychic powers with Psychic type ? If Water / Psychic is overused by Slowbro and Starmie, change Starmie type to Water / Rock, Water / Electric or something else !
Ponyta / Rapidash Fire/Fairy is so obvious ! A Unicorn ? It's a fairy type
Chansey Fairy is so obvious but probably too strong ?
Kangaskhan Kangaskhan always feel like a Normal/Fighting to me (Boxing kangaroo ? :D)
Horsea /Seadra Dragon is obvious to add ! :)
Electabuzz Considering that Electabuzz and his evolution learns a lot of Punching moves, I think Electric / Fighting could have been interesting !
Magmar If Jynx is Ice/Psychic, Electabuzz Elec/Fighting, Magmar could have been Fire/Steel, with Magmortar having a kind of "Steel arm"
Pinsir Even if Bug Fighting are overused, it totally fit Pinsir, especially with this movepool
Gyarados Water Dark / Water Dragon are a better typing thant Flying that doesn't really make sense
Mew It Looks like a Fairy like all the Mythical 100 base-stats

And of course all the regionals forms make sense !

If Pumpkaboo learned Flare Blitz people would be making jokes about how ridiculous it is that a pumpkin Pokémon sets itself on fire and charges into the opponent without obliterating itself. I can buy that it generates a ghostly flame that it launches at the opponent, but physical Fire-type moves (besides Fire Punch and Fire Fang) rarely lend themselves well to use by non-Fire-types.

This is definitely an unpopular opinion here though, because most people seem to want the barest hint of flavour in a Pokémon’s movepool as a vague pretext to give it powerful coverage options.
I missed this, though i suppose it is a little illogical for a plant to learn Flare Blitz (but, as noted, Flare Blitz DOES inflict recoil).

I'm mostly just mad that the line gets a cool movepool aspect but can't use it to any real degree of efficacy.

I hate the international pokémon logo. It screams ugly 90's aesthetic with the weird yellow and blue colors and font. It looks awful and unnatural with new games overall titles because they have modern (and actually good) design with the old logo tacked on

A comparision:

bf71b857806837f58c006c21dfe423b1.png

I just love the aesthetics of the japanese logos (other than gen 6) so maybe im just petty

I don't mind hte logo but it's hard to disagree that it can clash pretty frequently. I get wanting to have consistent branding but I feel at the very least you could keep the logo design the same but update its aesthetics to match the rest. Like the SUN & MOON fonts right there aren't that far off from the pokemon logo font, so just tweak the colors and shading.

Minimalist logo design kills me irl, and if the jpn logos were minimalist i wouldn't mind the 90s era one, but until swsh, the japanese logos alwaya have been more stylish.
Hell the gen 6 logo was all 3d. Because i guess having your game be 3d in a 3ds wasnt enough

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
One issue I have with the international logo is that, while I'm fine with its appearance (though do agree they can change up the color scheme to match the games), it misses something the Japanese logos have been doing recently. Let's see if you can spot it before I explain it (I'll only be using one logo if the point I'm trying to make is the same on both logos):

XY:

ORAS:

SM:

USUM:

SwSh:

It's hard to see, but each of the Japanese (and Korean and Chinese) have an additional detail lost in the international logo. In Japan, Pokemon (or rather Pocket Monsters) is written out as so: ポケットモンスター . In recent gens, the letter they've been replacing the accent on top with something relates to the game:
  • XY is the Mega Evolution rainbow double helix.
  • ORAS is the Red Orb and Blue Orb (with their Greek letter) for their respective games.
  • SM is an opposite color Z-Crystal, cyan for Sun & orange for Moon.
  • USUM is Necrozma's prism organ.
  • SwSh is the Galar Pokemon League symbol. (I also just noticed that the logo design for the Japanese version is meant to reflect the international logo, even replacing the Pokeball they usually have on the letter with the international logo's "o"; thinking about it why does the international logo "o"s have a crescent moon instead of a complete hole?).
And the thing is the international logo could easily incorporate that additional little detail by swapping out the accent over the "e" with it or maybe replacing one of the "o". Is the additional submission of a copyright image too much work for them to consider doing?

Maybe if they kept the same basic outline but adapted the filling each game like the Japanese versions instead of the yellow...

I might mess around and try to do it later if I have time.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
the blue crescent is the Iris, the smaller yellow part inside the crescent is the pupil, and the rest is the white part of the eye
Like, I sort of see it, but I don't get why. Like, is the logo supposed to be a face? If so, it gets lost as no other letter looks like a part of a face. Are they just random eyeballs? That feels kind of pointless, it's not like the other letters are shaped like animal parts.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I've been playing through Diamond again recently (in a big Sinnoh mood right now, that region is special to me), and there's a bit of a peeve that I have with DP's level curve, especially around the mid-game point.

The game based on the Trainer ID case and many official sources suggest that after Gardenia, you should do Maylene third and Crasher Wake fourth before battling Fantina. Even the anime follows this progression. The way they supposedly want you to travel based on that is to go to Solaceon after Hearthome, then go up Route 210, avoid the foggy half, walk straight down to Route 215 into Veilstone, then battle Maylene, then down Route 214 and 213 and into Pastoria, battle Wake, then walk down 212 and back into Hearthome. Sounds like a pretty natural progression....right?

Except...the level curve of the routes completely contradicts this. Route 212's Trainers have lower leveled Pokemon than the Pokemon in Routes 213-215 and even the foggy half of 210 and 211. It's actually closer to the point you will be in by the time you reach Solaceon. Furthermore, the 212 Hearthome gate is locked only until you've visited Solaceon, which means you can go there right away once you've passed Route 209 and visited there. Furthermore, the Gym Trainers in Wake's Gym are actually lower leveled than those in Maylene's Gym.

Which basically means...the level curve and the requirement to unlock Route 212 suggests that the game contradictorily wants you to actually battle Wake first, then go do Maylene after you've defeated Wake. The level curve suggests that they want you to visit Solaceon, do part of Route 210, then go back to Hearthome, travel down Route 212, visit Pastoria and battle Wake, then go up Routes 213 and 214 and then visit Veilstone, and battle Maylene next. Then head up Routes 215 and the northern half of 210 with the foggy stuff and into Celestic Town and the eastern half of Route 211, then go back to Hearthome.

And while that's...not necessarily a bad order, it requires quite a bit of backtracking. But that's not what annoys me here. What does annoy me about this is how incredibly contradictory it is. The so-called "official" order of the Gyms from there is Maylene->Crasher Wake->Fantina, but the level curve wants you to do it Crasher Wake->Maylene->Fantina. It's like two different people decided the order of progression they wanted you to challenge Maylene and Wake but one person named it based on a linear route progression and another decided the level curve very differently and wanted players to do it a different way.

It's a good thing Platinum rectified it by creating a smoother level curve towards its intended order (Fantina->Maylene->Wake) and also locking you from doing Wake beforehand, and the game's level curve aligning with that as well as the route access restrictions making it clear what order they want you to do it in.

DP's level curve also suggests that they want you to use the Vs. Seeker and battle several Trainers whose levels go up with each rematch in each of the old routes, considering how incredibly steep it is. While it does incentivize revisiting places you've already been to, and I don't really mind doing it, many players probably cannot be bothered to go through all the effort to find all the Trainers who have upgraded rematch levels and battle them for the exp, especially having to revisit several routes multiple times. And they want you to do this multiple times throughout the main story. First right after you obtain it, they want you to go back, then again after Fantina, then again after say, Byron and Candice, and whatnot. It's quite difficult to regularly keep track of all these Trainers, and it's worse when whether they respond to the Vs. Seeker or not is entirely random and if they don't respond, you have to walk another 100 steps to recharge then try again. It also seemingly wants you to do the Water Routes (219-211) immediately after getting Surf.

I love the Sinnoh games still, but this is a bit of a peeve that I have with it in terms of the level curve. Now granted, it's no where near as bad as Johto's level curve, but the main thing is that it makes it so you can battle Maylene and Wake in any order, but the official order and the level curve order contradict each other so heavily that I just really find it baffling, and wonder who designed the "official order" and the level curve.

So I've been playing through Diamond again recently (in a big Sinnoh mood right now, that region is special to me), and there's a bit of a peeve that I have with DP's level curve, especially around the mid-game point.

The game based on the Trainer ID case and many official sources suggest that after Gardenia, you should do Maylene third and Crasher Wake fourth before battling Fantina. Even the anime follows this progression. The way they supposedly want you to travel based on that is to go to Solaceon after Hearthome, then go up Route 210, avoid the foggy half, walk straight down to Route 215 into Veilstone, then battle Maylene, then down Route 214 and 213 and into Pastoria, battle Wake, then walk down 212 and back into Hearthome. Sounds like a pretty natural progression....right?

Except...the level curve of the routes completely contradicts this. Route 212's Trainers have lower leveled Pokemon than the Pokemon in Routes 213-215 and even the foggy half of 210 and 211. It's actually closer to the point you will be in by the time you reach Solaceon. Furthermore, the 212 Hearthome gate is locked only until you've visited Solaceon, which means you can go there right away once you've passed Route 209 and visited there. Furthermore, the Gym Trainers in Wake's Gym are actually lower leveled than those in Maylene's Gym.

Which basically means...the level curve and the requirement to unlock Route 212 suggests that the game contradictorily wants you to actually battle Wake first, then go do Maylene after you've defeated Wake. The level curve suggests that they want you to visit Solaceon, do part of Route 210, then go back to Hearthome, travel down Route 212, visit Pastoria and battle Wake, then go up Routes 213 and 214 and then visit Veilstone, and battle Maylene next. Then head up Routes 215 and the northern half of 210 with the foggy stuff and into Celestic Town and the eastern half of Route 211, then go back to Hearthome.

And while that's...not necessarily a bad order, it requires quite a bit of backtracking. But that's not what annoys me here. What does annoy me about this is how incredibly contradictory it is. The so-called "official" order of the Gyms from there is Maylene->Crasher Wake->Fantina, but the level curve wants you to do it Crasher Wake->Maylene->Fantina. It's like two different people decided the order of progression they wanted you to challenge Maylene and Wake but one person named it based on a linear route progression and another decided the level curve very differently and wanted players to do it a different way.

It's a good thing Platinum rectified it by creating a smoother level curve towards its intended order (Fantina->Maylene->Wake) and also locking you from doing Wake beforehand, and the game's level curve aligning with that as well as the route access restrictions making it clear what order they want you to do it in.

DP's level curve also suggests that they want you to use the Vs. Seeker and battle several Trainers whose levels go up with each rematch in each of the old routes, considering how incredibly steep it is. While it does incentivize revisiting places you've already been to, and I don't really mind doing it, many players probably cannot be bothered to go through all the effort to find all the Trainers who have upgraded rematch levels and battle them for the exp, especially having to revisit several routes multiple times. And they want you to do this multiple times throughout the main story. First right after you obtain it, they want you to go back, then again after Fantina, then again after say, Byron and Candice, and whatnot. It's quite difficult to regularly keep track of all these Trainers, and it's worse when whether they respond to the Vs. Seeker or not is entirely random and if they don't respond, you have to walk another 100 steps to recharge then try again. It also seemingly wants you to do the Water Routes (219-211) immediately after getting Surf.

I love the Sinnoh games still, but this is a bit of a peeve that I have with it in terms of the level curve. Now granted, it's no where near as bad as Johto's level curve, but the main thing is that it makes it so you can battle Maylene and Wake in any order, but the official order and the level curve order contradict each other so heavily that I just really find it baffling, and wonder who designed the "official order" and the level curve.
That was fixed in Platinum.

Route 212 is first available in DP as soon as you reach Solaceon, but in Platinum, the Hearthome gate is locked until you reach Pastoria. Levels were adjusted accordingly.

GOAT main series game never lost. :psywoke:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
It also seemingly wants you to do the Water Routes (219-211) immediately after getting Surf.
Great post and I agree with all the points you made. Just wanted to add that the above point has always been the case in every main series game; there has never, AFAIK, been an area with horribly overleveled NPCs placed there seemingly to discourage the player from going there too early in any region. Once the player is able to use a HM the games always seem to take it as a given that players will backtrack to every location on the map that was previously inaccessible. It's why you have NPCs in early-game caves like the Oreburgh Gate or Johto's Union Cave who are twenty levels stronger than the other NPCs you previously fought in the same location, and why even though the story directs you to the Pal Park after getting the National Dex, the surrounding area is full of opponents with Pokemon in their 30s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 6)