(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The only reason megahorn is bug type is because it was Heracross' signature move. It could just as well be a normal type move like horn attack.

Similarly, horn leech is Sawsbuck signature move, so it makes sense why it's grass type as that makes it a STAB move for Sawsbuck.

As for leech life, 2/3 of the families that could learn the move in gen 1 are bug type. And I guess they needed more bug type moves anyway because the only other bug moves were twinneedle and pin missile.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Megahorn: Bug
Leech Life: Bug
Horn Leech: Grass
Focus Energy: Normal
Comet Punch: Normal
Focus Punch: Fighting

Horn Attack: Normal
Mega Kick: Normal

Meteor Mash: Steel
Steel Beam: Steel
Meteor Beam: Rock ?????????
I think the idea here is that, to the Pokemon, these are just natural things they do so don't have a name. But humans, to give orders to their Pokemon to do the thing, gave it a name that made sense in the context of naming it. So there's no conformity because the naming convention is based on how the Pokemon using the move does so and not because there were other moves that had a similar name.

Focus Energy: Normal
Comet Punch: Normal
Focus Punch: Fighting

Horn Attack: Normal
Mega Kick: Normal

Meteor Mash: Steel
Steel Beam: Steel
Meteor Beam: Rock ?????????

Sorry for mildly annoying you some more :<
Fun fact, in Japanese, Comet Punch is just "consecutive punches" (it could be translated "Multi-Punch" or something). Meteor Mash, on the other hand, is Comet Punch in Japanese (as in, you punch a comet). It's actually boosted by Iron Fist but nothing that has Iron Fist gets Meteor Mash. That's why it's Steel, and Meteor Beam, which is more "beam of power from a meteor" is Rock.

Move names that are "descriptor + verb" are always going to fall into that trap sometimes. Rock Smash and Rock Climb are two good examples, when the moves Rock Throw, Rock Slide, Rock Polish, and Rock Wrecker are, understandably, Rock type.

In japanese, horn leech is wood horn, so its not any horn, its a branch/tree horn.
Leech life is suck blood, refering to parasitic bugs and also why zubat has it. Why the fuck is incineroar sucking blood though.

I think criticizing move types should be done with the japanese names in mind, translations will not be able to capture the same nuance and may be different based on cultural norms.

Megahorn still megahorn in jpn tho lol

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Putting this under the category of minor annoyance because I haven't actually found it to be that difficult to overcome so far, but the post-game level spike in Black/White. I forgot that it was a thing, and walked into the Dreamyard basement with a level 51-53 team completely unprepared for the level 63 Psychic types within. Shout-out to my Bisharp, who held the line against an unreasonable number of Psychic types and left the Dreamyard at level 57. I may be about to box you for Volcarona so I don't feel like I wasted the Master Ball that I had to use because I fucked up every part of the process of catching the thing, but you're still a legend.

Here's one minor thing that really annoys me to metaphorical tears....
And sadly, it isn't fully GF's fault either, though they could've written the codes a bit differently....

Old 3DS consoles may have problem where if touched from below in some parts, battery would dislodge and turn off. This resets time to 2010/1/1 (I think I got it right this time, I wrote 1960 earlier). I checked and there are some others who have this problem with their 3DS systems too. 3DS is now discontinued... it has been great ride.
Readjusting the time, or even the time change due to this error, causes Pokemon games to activate their time spoofing ban. This causes every daily event like lottery to halt for 24 hours.
Another thing that counts as daily event, thus halted by this time spoofing ban? PokeCenter Birthday Surprise.

Thanks to this time spoofing ban on my old 3DSXL, today I'm denied of my party. :psycry:

Last edited:
View attachment 321284This bloody logo for the pokemon tcg
it’s literally the lowest effort logo they ever made
they literally looked at that logo, slapped shining on it because shining legends was a thing, and made the colours blue and darker gold
they didn’t even change anything else about the ‘fates’ what iS tHi-

Same energy. :psysly:

As for my contribution of the day... Signature moves for types that really need more reliable STAB.

This sounds a bit confusing at first glance, so let me give an example. If you're a physical Electric-type, you really got one option. Wild Charge.

Wild Charge is a terrible move, straight up. It's a basic 90BP move but with a drawback, that's mindblowing.

Meanwhile, Pikachu is sitting out there with Volt Tackle. Let's ignore the fact that it got the coolest name of the two. (No, I'm not sorry. :psysly: )

It's literally the same move but VT is a lot more respectable when it comes to STAB because it got 120BP. Now when was the last time you've seen a Pikachu use Volt Tackle?
Pika (and Raichu) benefit more from special moves, especially with their access to Surf. Even Ash's Pikachu already forgot the move and it's STILL a signature!

My boys Luxray and Electivire are out there struggling! Last time I saw them, they were eating cereal with water! They got nothing!!!

Same energy. :psysly:

As for my contribution of the day... Signature moves for types that really need more reliable STAB.

This sounds a bit confusing at first glance, so let me give an example. If you're a physical Electric-type, you really got one option. Wild Charge.

Wild Charge is a terrible move, straight up. It's a basic 90BP move but with a drawback, that's mindblowing.

Meanwhile, Pikachu is sitting out there with Volt Tackle. Let's ignore the fact that it got the coolest name of the two. (No, I'm not sorry. :psysly: )

It's literally the same move but VT is a lot more respectable when it comes to STAB because it got 120BP. Now when was the last time you've seen a Pikachu use Volt Tackle?
Pika (and Raichu) benefit more from special moves, especially with their access to Surf. Even Ash's Pikachu already forgot the move and it's STILL a signature!

My boys Luxray and Electivire are out there struggling! Last time I saw them, they were eating cereal with water! They got nothing!!!
Little things that bug me: Volt-Ikazuchi not being loved enough

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Thanks to this time spoofing ban on my old 3DSXL, today I'm denied of my party. :psycry:
Don't know if this makes up for it:
Happy Birthday!

TMs and TRs have a neat symmetry, where there are exactly 100 of both, with only the last one being a brand new move (Breaking Swipe and Body Press). They also have them numbered 00-99, which is a deliberate stylistic choice because previous generations have had TM numbers go up to 100. Adding new TRs would require messing with both of those.
So the solution should be increasing both the TM & TR count. In addition to the new Tutor moves, It felt so weird how the DLCs just had TRs lying around in Yellow Pokeballs instead of TMs. If they needed some extra moves just bring back some of the Movexit Moves.

AI screws the RNG via voodoo magic. It's fine
Has it ever been proven in the Battle Facilities they start having the NPCs first Pokemon be purposely set to have the advantage over the first Pokemon you send out?

NEW ANNOYANCE: Though with a twist: it's for the fansites notably Bulbapedia and Serebii. It's very annoying when you're looking up list of moves and for some reason both Bulbapedia and Serebii clump in the Z-Moves and Max Moves (as well as the special moves Pikachu & Eevee learned in Let's Go). Like, yeah, their moves, but they're very special moves meant to work with a certain mechanic. You don't need to list them with the normal Moves as, unlike Signature Moves, I doubt these moves will ever be made normally available.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
NEW ANNOYANCE: Though with a twist: it's for the fansites notably Bulbapedia and Serebii. It's very annoying when you're looking up list of moves and for some reason both Bulbapedia and Serebii clump in the Z-Moves and Max Moves (as well as the special moves Pikachu & Eevee learned in Let's Go). Like, yeah, their moves, but they're very special moves meant to work with a certain mechanic. You don't need to list them with the normal Moves as, unlike Signature Moves, I doubt these moves will ever be made normally available.
Clangorous Soul(blaze) wants to know your location.

They're still moves, I'm not totally sure what your issue is here.

Sad thing about electric physical moves is even in terms of signature moves since then they're (1) rare and (2) not necessarily all that better

Aura Wheel is probably the best but it's specifically tied in with Morpeko's gimmick and is clearly SO good (110 BP! 100% accurate! Raises speed!) to counterbalance being, uh, morpeko.
After that's Plasma Fist: 100% accurate, 100 BP, 15 PP...exclusive to Zeraora but in a way that probably could have just been given around. i

After that it's stuff just plain weaker than Wild Bolt or, like Morpeko, very tied to to the pokemon its signature too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Clangorous Soul(blaze) wants to know your location.

They're still moves, I'm not totally sure what your issue is here.
Clangorous Soulblaze is a Z-Move.

Clangorous Soul is a new move they decided to make based on Clangorous Soulblaze so that Kommo-o can keep its Signature Z-Moves effect.

It's just annoying that when looking through move lists on Bulbapedia and Serebii they fell it's necessary to also include the Z-Moves and Max Moves. This is especially annoying since they also count the basic Z-Moves and Max Moves twice, one Physical and one Special (I'm sure it's probably because in the game code that's how they're coded, though that's something to mention in the trivia section of those moves not to give those moves; Rider Calyrex Ability "As One" is likely programmed to be two separate Abilities depending on the horse but Bulbapedia decided for it that it only gets one page, do the same with the Z-Moves and Max Moves).

Sad thing about electric physical moves is even in terms of signature moves since then they're (1) rare and (2) not necessarily all that better
Solution: Just make a Electric-type expy of Iron Head/Zen Headbutt. Call it "Circuit Break" and pass it around to any Electric-type that looks like it can at least do a tackle.

Clangorous Soulblaze is a Z-Move.

Clangorous Soul is a new move they decided to make based on Clangorous Soulblaze so that Kommo-o can keep its Signature Z-Moves effect.

It's just annoying that when looking through move lists on Bulbapedia and Serebii they fell it's necessary to also include the Z-Moves and Max Moves. This is especially annoying since they also count the basic Z-Moves and Max Moves twice, one Physical and one Special (I'm sure it's probably because in the game code that's how they're coded, though that's something to mention in the trivia section of those moves not to give those moves; Rider Calyrex Ability "As One" is likely programmed to be two separate Abilities depending on the horse but Bulbapedia decided for it that it only gets one page, do the same with the Z-Moves and Max Moves).

Solution: Just make a Electric-type expy of Iron Head/Zen Headbutt. Call it "Circuit Break" and pass it around to any Electric-type that looks like it can at least do a tackle.
That it exists but its called Zing Zap and exclusive to togedemaru & pincurchin

e: If you're curious why " Shocking and Prickly " is the japanese name

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That it exists but its called Zing Zap and exclusive to togedemaru & pincurchin

e: If you're curious why " Shocking and Prickly " is the japanese name
Huh, for some reason I kept confusing Zing Zap in my head with Nuzzle.

... I still think Circuit Break is a good name for a generic Physical Electric-type move... (maybe a Brick Break expy...)

Overcharge: generic electric move, give some random lore ooo big electric yadda yadda. 100 bp 5 pp there you go.

Honestly, is making generic moves for some of the lacking parts of types that hard? It's not like they need to be interesting, most moves like that are just a one-liner.
I doubt it's that hard (in relative terms) it just feels like they...dont....want to.

So the solution should be increasing both the TM & TR count. In addition to the new Tutor moves, It felt so weird how the DLCs just had TRs lying around in Yellow Pokeballs instead of TMs. If they needed some extra moves just bring back some of the Movexit Moves.
That could solve the symmetry problem if you split the new and returning moves equally, but there's no getting around the fact that doing so would require going into triple digits, something that was deliberately avoided in vanilla.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overcharge: generic electric move, give some random lore ooo big electric yadda yadda. 100 bp 5 pp there you go.

Honestly, is making generic moves for some of the lacking parts of types that hard? It's not like they need to be interesting, most moves like that are just a one-liner.
All types are deliberately not made equal. I mean tbh you think about “Electric” as a type, thematically it should generally be specially geared.

All types are deliberately not made equal. I mean tbh you think about “Electric” as a type, thematically it should generally be specially geared.
I think types, while not completly equal, should at least have a decent equilibrium. I don't want every type to have their own spore or stealth rock but would making decent physical moves for types like electric and flying be that damaging to the types flavor? I dont think giving at least one 100% acc good physical move for flying is going to make it look like a copypaste of another one, and would provide a qol improvement

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I understand this, but why make Electric types with better physical attack than special attack if you're not even going to give them the tools to properly capitalize on their strengths? That's just a bad Pokémon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 5)