(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, and thus doesn’t belong here, but I’m gonna post it here anyway. Before I start, I going to provide some background info. Ever since XY, I play Pokémon for PvP, specifically cartridge PvP. Regardless of one’s thoughts on XY, ORAS, SM, and USM, I have put over 900 Hrs in each, thanks to PvP regardless of my personal feelings towards the game- I didn’t like USM, but I put so much hours in. I have not done the same for SwSh. I’ve been thinking about why, and I finally found an answer: Sword and Shield have some of the worst multiplayer in the entire series. To explain why I feel that way, I’ve split this post into several parts.

Dynamax: I’ll be blunt: I hate this mechanic. As someone who plays VGC, BSS, and Smogon metagames, it’s very clear that it was clearly designed for Doubles to little to no regard with Singles. But even in VGC, I think it’s a broken mechanic. Very often I find myself in situations where I think I’m safe only for a surprise Dynamax to happen and I’m suddenly at a disadvantage. One battle I remember having was my Galarian Zapdos and Rotom against an Incineroar and Stakataka. I decided to go straight for a Close Combat on Incineroar and not Dynamax because Stakataka is most likely going for a Trick Room and Zapdos would be prone to be knocked out due to being slower. Instead my opponent Dynamaxes, and knocks Zapdos back with Max Steelspike. Now my opponent at + 1 with his Stakataka, and he sends in Rillaboom against my Excadrill and Tyranitar. Excadrill could Dynamax and trying going for Max Quake, but Stakataka would easily survive and doing massive damage with Max Flare. Rillaboom could also huge damage and use priority with Grassy Terrian boosted Grassy Glide. I ended losing that fight because I didn’t have the stat boosts to take on my opponent by the time I dynamaxed. A lot of players say Dynamax is balanced in VGC because Protect is everywhere and you can mitigate the damage using protect. But I disagree. Even if you use Protect, you are still taking damage, and you are not denying the secondary effects. I remember playing around with an Aurorus + Arctozolt hail core and one issue is Metagross. Metagross will almost certainly Dynamax in that scenario, and even if I protect, Metagross will gain defense boosts so much to the point that. Even if I do stall it out ( which I won’t with this this pairing without losing at least one of my Pokémon ) and by the time I send out my next Pokémon, Metagross already has 3 Defense Boosts. And why didn’t I dynamax there? Well, in that scenario, Dynamaxing wasn’t going to do me any favors, since Aurorus loses 1V1 against Metagross and Arctozolt’s damage is actually weaker with Dynamax and stil wouldn’t beat Metagross 1V1. And that’s not also how easy it is to prop a Weakness Policy when Dynamaxed- In general, I find it strange an item is not required for Dynamax because Masuda explicitly said the reason why Mega Stones were a thing was to make sure you couldn’t use any held items in order to prevent the Pokémon from being too strong. Not sure where that philosophy went after that.

Y-Comm: This is legitimately the worst multiplayer system I have seen that it’s not even funny. For starters, what’s the point of stamps? With the exception of Raid Battles, stamps seem to serve no function other than cosmetics, but who actually pays attention to that? It’s just a clog of space. But’s that not the worst part. I’m guessing the whole point of stamps is to advertise that you are participating in activity, so there’s a technical activity but who has actually joined a communication feature just to join up with you? Well, that seems to be an intentional design, but problems arise when you try to run two different activities at the same time. The game will not let you. I would often use surprise trades to exchange my leftover breedjects away, only to see a raid. I go to join, but the game notes that I can’t advertise more than one stamp and I have to quit the surprise trade before I do the raid. And if I do that, the raid is often full by that time. Why can’t I do activities at the same time?But the main reason for my dislike is the fact that you have to use a link code in order to connect with people. This already got criticism in Let’s Go, so I have no clue why they brought it back here. Instead of using a FC to connect to one another, we have to use a LC to connect, which often means a good chance a matching with the wrong person. And that happened so many times, for both trades and battles. I’ve already said why it’s atrocious in another post, but I’ve spent 30 minutes trying to connect with someone when it comes to trades and battles, simply because I got the wrong person on the first attempt. This was especially worrisome for a VGC tourney I participated in, in which each round had a set timer and I almost miss the round 2 because of our delayed start. Never has trading and battling been so obnoxious in Pokémon.

Timer: They removed the Match time option in Let’s Go and replaced it with your time feature in those games, and those changes have travelled here. What makes your time so obnoxious is that each player has 20 minutes, like a chess timer, but unlike a chess timer, the time goes down even while animations of moves are playing, meaning if you use moves with long animations or dynamax you will have less time to complete battles. What’s worse, there’s an invisible timer that counts for match time that counts as well, and it often goes down before your time is finished. What’s the point if “your time” if doesn’t reach the bottom anyway? It really seems like this way because TPC despise Chansey and Blissey stalling strategies, but that shouldn’t cost the ability to play 6V6. Yes, 6V6 is next to impossible to do on cart thanks to the timer changes, and Joey from PokeAim MD has worked with other YouTubers like FSG and Cybertron to bring attention to the timer.

Raid Battles: Raid Battles are clunky and slow, and the AI is terrible. That’s a universal opinion. But the reason why I bring it up is because of the fact you are required to grind them in order to gain prizes like TRs and Exp. Candy. The barrier mechanic would be alright if it was a one time thing for a boss fight. But it isn’t. You have to do it multiple times to obtain the prizes, and when you do, the clukniness starts to really show. The barrier mechanic isn’t the only problem- consider the fact that the raid bosses get multiple moves and the fact that AI get really bad Pokémon and intelligence and it comes to hoping if the raid boss is stupid enough so you can defeat it before it KOES the team. And then there is the idea you can use players. Only if players want to join you that is! No seriously. I remember I was doing preparing for a online tourney and I needed a Mudsdale for a breeding project. I tried getting some people to play with me, but I couldn’t get anyone. In the end, I had to use the AI and it took me more than three tries to catch that Mudsdale. And then there’s Gigantamax Pokémon. I think Gigantamax is handled very poorly overall. For straters, it not even that different from Dynamax- just a difference Max Move mechanically while and a different appearance. And obtaining it is an absolute nightmare. The game never tells you where to go find Gigantamax, and the only way to obtain it is from very specific dens from the rare pool. It seems that this was intentionally designed to be used through the Wild Area News, which is another criticism I have with Max Raid Battles: They seem to be strongly promoting the use of multiplayer to use them. Here’s the problem: You have to pay for online play now. This isn’t a problem with GF but Nintendo, but GF seems to have taken adavantage with that by designing the wild area events distributing Gigantamax and having raid battles have AI that are so dumb that it makes you have to use human controlled characters to win. If you don’t have Switch Online, you are out of luck and are already at a disadvantage. Kirby: Star Allies also features AI controlled allies that can defeat bosses with little to no help from the player to the point, that I strive to keep them alive for as long as possible when playing that game. There’s no reason why SwSh can’t do the same. And while Dynamax Adventures are a lot better since you don’t have to do barriers, the catch limit of one legendary is just dumb . If TPC is going to insist on making a GS cup a thing, then they can at least make obtaining and distributing Legendaries easier. The Dynamax Adventures were a perfect opportunity for this, since multiple legendary Pokémon of same species could be encountered, but no for the sake of tradition, only one per save file. It’s really a shame because Pokémon like Palkia or Thundurus have multiple sets and you can’t catch multiple even though this would be a perfect opportunity

Before I go onto the next to the point, let’s address something positive: While the raids are clunky, you can at least obtain Version Exclusive Pokémon through them, and they make Dex completion easier thanks to obtaining most evolved forms through the raids.

Season Changes: The sudden rule set changes for VGC and BSS makes it hard to focus on a meta games and develop new strategies and watch the game evolve. One of the best things about VGC and BSS is that you got to see a meta game evolve without any kind of bans or clauses ( Not saying I disagree with Smogon banning anything ). One of my favorite archetypes of Gen 7 BSS was a Slush Rush core of Aloan Ninetales + Alolan Sandslash + Mega Gyarados that could easily beat cores like Mega Salamence + Hippowdown + Aegislash or Choice Scarf Tapu Lele and Mimikyu. I remember the times where I used to ladder to 1780s with that core and those are some of my favorite moments. There were also tactics like Moody and Minimize that you could use that you can’t use in either Smogon or VGC. Now with these sudden rule changes, it’s so hard to focus on one meta game and develop strategies around it. After playing a few months and finally have built a team that works, you suddenly get the notification that they are switching to GS cup for the next month. This was after a few months after they released Crown Tundra, which is just roughly two months after they announced the top 12 Pokémon are being banned, which was also two months after the Isle of Armor was launched. As you can see, it very hard to focus on a meta game when it changes so quickly. Add insult to injury, a similar practice happened in Gen 6 and 7 when they had special ladders to incorporate unique rules that were separate from the primary ladders. I’m guessing they got rid of it Gen 8 because no one participated in it as much, but if they were going to incorporate special rules on the main ladder then they should have kept the special ladder to ensure those who wanted to focus standard metagames could.

Pokémon Home: I’ve already addressed why Pokémon Home is a terrible and a complete scam in an unpopular opinion post, but I’ll address some points again. Despite being a free version, free is severely limited by allowing only 30 Pokémon for the entire storage, and it terms of Data, Google Drive gives you more storage than Home does for free. The GTS has been placed to monetize it, not helped by the fact that you only have up 3% of the entire National Dex to work with at a time for the basic version, which makes trading very difficult. Not to mention that PokeTransfer is locked behind a 16$ paywall and another 5$ paywall, so effectively 21$ just to transfer mere kilobytes of data, which is more than Switch Online. As someone who pays for Switch Online and couldn’t get any job because of COVID, that way too much money for an online experience. It sucks seeing how scummy TPC and GF have become with transferring as of recent.

National Dex: Lastly, I’ve been playing a lot of National Dex Monotype recently, and it made me realize how much I miss the National Dex. I miss Z-Moves, Mega Lopunny, Mega Altaria, Mega Ampharos, Mega Banette, Greninja, Vivillon, Sunflora, Mismagius, and Glameow to name a few. And while we did the majority back with the DLC, Kanto got a huge portion of it Dex back while the other regions did not get as much, as for the Crown Tundra, all the Psuedo-Legendaries and Legendary Pokémon returned, as well as most fossil Pokémon. If Dexit is a norm, then Pokémon who are either Legendaries, Psuedos, or just marketable will get more priority over Pokémon like Glameow and Sunfora, meaning it might take year for them to return in a game just because they are not popular.

In the end, I really do feel burned on SwSh and it might be last my cartridge Pokémon game as a result. I had always felt that the series had been stagnating ever since Gen 6 and competitive play has been my main reason to keep going further. Now with dwindling interest in cartridge formats,I don’t see much point in purchasing cartridge games. I have been Smogon metagames and have tried LC, Ubers, and 1V1 much more recently. But I don’t need a cartridge game to play Smogon metagames. It saddens me to say that Shield might be my last cartridge game. As for BDSP and Legenda Arceus, I’ll have to wait for reviews. Right now BDSP literally looks like remaster than a remake, with them keeping even the text box and Union room the same as the originals. ORAS for reference, did not have the link room. I was hoping for updated character designs, but based on what we’ve seen now, I’m not betting my money on it. As for Legends Arceus, It looks promising but I still need reviews before purchasing it.

Last edited:
Also because while Psyduck is present in every generation so far, it also hasn't really gotten anything over the generations or any sort of special treatment like several other Gen 1 Pokemon have: it's been left completely untouched over the generations. No new cross-gen evo in Gen 2 or 4, no Mega Evolution in Gen 6, no signature Z-Move in Gen 7, no Gigantamax in Gen 8, and no regional form either in either Gen 7 or 8. No new forms at all either along the way. Not to mention no stat buffs either. It shows up every time, but it never gets any special treatment. It's always thrown into every game as it is with no sort of exciting new change to it at all. Psyduck and Golduck are, to this day, still the exact same Pokemon they were in Gen 1 with no changes or touches added to them at all.

They have the honor of being Gen 1 Pokemon that have never, ever been touched over the generations and have been completely left as is. When so many other Gen 1 Pokemon got flashy new evolutions, Megas, stat buffs, regional forms, Z-Moves, etc., Psyduck is less easy to notice when it's just more or less there in every game it's in. No special attention drawn to it: it's just Psyduck.
Not true, Psyduck's moveset was buffed Gen 4
....cuz dear lord, it had no stab before lvl 50 Gen 1-3
though compared to most mons.....eh
Cloud Nine is nice, but not many use Golduck against Primal Groudon anymore

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not true, Psyduck's moveset was buffed Gen 4
....cuz dear lord, it had no stab before lvl 50 Gen 1-3
though compared to most mons.....eh
Cloud Nine is nice, but not many use Golduck against Primal Groudon anymore
True, but that's kind of something every mon got in Gen 4. The physical/special split and the increase of good moves for every type plus better level up learnsets for everything was a big part of Gen 4 and the end of many mons being stuck with poor movepools.

What I meant is that Psyduck and Golduck never got anything "flashy" that would grab even a casual fan's attention. Something like Kingdra or Electivire is notable, gives a feeling of newness, and is cool and draws attention to the mon. Same with something like Mega Gyarados, Mega Alakazam, etc. Or even a regional form like Alolan Muk or Galarian Weezing. Those are very attention grabbing even to a casual player and inherently bring newfound focus on the mon.

Psyduck and Golduck have effectively not changed a whole lot in that regard, and the games don't really push their existence so much, so most people don't notice its existence in every game since it's Psyduck and nothing has ever been done to draw special attention to it in a flashy manner. Some people likely do know it exists in every game and don't care, and it never changes in a way that grabs attention. That's different from Pikachu who gets special forms every now and then, or the Kanto starters for that matter too.

When so many other Gen 1 Pokemon got flashy new evolutions, Megas, stat buffs, regional forms, Z-Moves, etc., Psyduck is less easy to notice when it's just more or less there in every game it's in. No special attention drawn to it: it's just Psyduck.
I was interested in quantifying this statement, so here are my results. Changes are ranked based on how important I think they are, and Pokemon are only listed in the highest applicable tier, and the portion of Pokemon who fall under any of the tiers will be updated as tiers are introduced.

Golbat :crobat:
Vileplume :bellossom:
Poliwrath :politoed:
Slowbro :slowking:
Magneton :magnezone:
Onix :steelix:
Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan :hitmontop:
Lickitung :lickilicky:
Rhydon :rhyperior:
Chansey :blissey:
Tangela :tangrowth:
Seadra :kingdra:
Scyther :scizor:
Electabuzz :electivire:
Magmar :magmortar:
Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon :espeon::umbreon::leafeon::glaceon::sylveon:
Porygon :porygon2::porygon-z:
17/76
22%

Raticate :rattata-alola::raticate-alola:
Raichu :raichu-alola:
Sandslash :sandshrew-alola::sandslash-alola:
Ninetales :vulpix-alola::ninetales-alola:
Dugtrio :diglett-alola::dugtrio-alola:
Persian :meowth-alola::persian-alola::meowth-galar::perrserker:
Golem :geodude-alola::graveler-alola::golem-alola:
Rapidash :ponyta-galar::rapidash-galar:
Farfetch'd :farfetchd-galar::sirfetchd:
Muk :grimer-alola::muk-alola:
Exeggutor :exeggutor-alola:
Marowak :marowak-alola:
Weezing :weezing-galar:
Mr. Mime :mr-mime-galar::mr-rime:
Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres :articuno-galar::zapdos-galar::moltres-galar:
32/76
42%

Venusaur :venusaur-mega::venusaur-gmax:
Charizard :charizard-mega-y::charizard-mega-x::charizard-gmax:
Blastoise :blastoise-mega::blastoise-gmax:
Butterfree :butterfree-gmax:
Beedrill :beedrill-mega:
Pidgeot :pidgeot-mega:
Alakazam :alakazam-mega:
Machamp :machamp-gmax:
Gengar :gengar-mega::gengar-gmax:
Kingler :kingler-gmax:
Kangaskhan :kangaskhan-mega:
Pinsir :pinsir-mega:
Gyarados :gyarados-mega:
Lapras :lapras-gmax:
Aerodactyl :aerodactyl-mega:
Snorlax :snorlium-z:
Mewtwo :mewtwo-mega-y::mewtwo-mega-x:
Mew :mewnium-z:

Gigantamax is a move, not a form. Let's be real.
50/76
66%

Clefable :cleffa:
Wigglytuff :igglybuff:
Jynx :smoochum:

I originally had pre-evolutions grouped with evolutions at the top as "new family" but I realized as I was adding sprites to the "new type" section that I had completely forgotten that Cleffa and Igglybuff existed, so the whole category got demoted. Incidentally, the new type section became unnecessary.
53/76
70%

Arbok :arbok:+10 Attack
Nidoqueen :nidoqueen:+10 Attack
Nidoking :nidoking:+10 Attack
Victreebel :victreebel:+10 SpDef
Dodrio :dodrio:+10 Speed
Electrode :electrode:+10 Speed

I'll be honest, I really don't think these should count. Stat boosts are never marketed, and they're all tiny.
59/76
78%

Fearow :spearow::fearow:
Parasect :paras::parasect:
Venomoth :venonat::venomoth:*
Golduck :psyduck::golduck:
Primeape :mankey::primeape:
Arcanine :growlithe::arcanine:
Tentacruel :tentacool::tentacruel:
Dewgong :seel::dewgong:
Cloyster :shellder::cloyster:*
Hypno :drowzee::hypno:
Seaking :goldeen::seaking:
Starmie :staryu::starmie:
Tauros :tauros:
Ditto :ditto:*
Omastar :omanyte::omastar:
Kabutops :kabuto::kabutops:
Dragonite :dratini::dragonair::dragonite:

* These Pokemon have recieved big changes to their playstyle via the addition of powerful new moves and/or post-gen-3 abilities, but it's hella subjective and I really didn't want to get into that due to the previously mentioned excusion of Psyduck getting level-up STAB.
So about 17/76, or 22% of Gen 1 families haven't recieved any noteworthy changes over the years, give or take a few depending on what you consider noteworthy, though if you're like me and don't count the stat boosts, it's 23/76 or 30%. You could also group the starters and Nidos or split apart the legendary birds for slightly different numbers, and I'm definitely not just saying that because I realized the Nidos should be grouped after calculating everything and don't want to run all the numbers again with one less family.

I find Megas and Z moves to both fail in balancing for different reasons
For Megas, it's both the fact that it's temporary/item locked, so many weak mons aren't permanently buffed, while simultaneously megas were given to a stupid amount of Ou already mons. It just led to people ditching the weaker megas due to limits and lack of power (bar Blaziken and Garchomp)

Z moves on the other hand are useable by everyone. But again, is item locked, which means that stronger mons are given priority again, this time hurting power creep even more

And Dyna/Gmaxing is effectively Zmoves 2.0 in the fact that everyone can use it, giving little reason to use weaker mons

I am pretty confident large majority of the smogon base as well as your average internettian hates Z-moves with passion and considers them as bad as Dynamax goes as gameplay mechanic, both balance and flavour wise.
I never thought Z-Moves were broken. Yes, they were extremely powerful, but they were only one time use and you can easily blow it with a protect or a carefully timed switch. Compared to Gems, they were only one per battle . And with the exception of Clangorous Soulblaze, they all had no secondary effects that allow for snowballing. My only complaint is that they had long cutscenes that really needed a skip option.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They're perfect as God Masuda made them. They don't need any changes.
I wonder if Fearow is the "creator's pet" of another senior GF figure, since it has been available in every region bar Hoenn and Galar, usually even in late-game areas (despite, you know, not being a particularly powerful 'mon), and it still remains one of the "untouched" ones in DrPumpkinz' overview. Like Psyduck, it appears to be "special" enough to always be included, but nobody is allowed to add to its design either.

I am pretty confident large majority of the smogon base as well as your average internettian hates Z-moves with passion and considers them as bad as Dynamax goes as gameplay mechanic, both balance and flavour wise.
You aren't wrong. A lot of my friends who play more casually hated Z-moves since they thought they where instant win-button moves. Personally, I liked them since they benefitted every mon and gave new life to a lot of Pokemon like Porygon-Z. Not a huge fan of Dynamax since it feels both overpowered and strangely limiting. The ridiculous bulk increase and OP special moves make it unfun to use since it turns everything into a snowball w/ little counterplay outside of the opponent Dynamaxing themselves. At least with Z-Moves, you didn't get a free Dual Screens & its benefit was only applied to one move for one-turn (on top of costing an item slot). It also had a lot of cool unique effects for moves like Belly Drum and Conversion.

You aren't wrong. A lot of my friends who play more casually hated Z-moves since they thought they where instant win-button moves. Personally, I liked them since they benefitted every mon and gave new life to a lot of Pokemon like Porygon-Z. Not a huge fan of Dynamax since it feels both overpowered and strangely limiting. The ridiculous bulk increase and OP special moves make it unfun to use since it turns everything into a snowball w/ little counterplay outside of the opponent Dynamaxing themselves. At least with Z-Moves, you didn't get a free Dual Screens & its benefit was only applied to one move for one-turn (on top of costing an item slot). It also had a lot of cool unique effects for moves like Belly Drum and Conversion.
This is similar to my opinions. I don't feel like damage Z-moves were that great, but found status Z-moves much more interesting. Dmax bolted them together and threw double HP and a bunch of immunities on top, making it much more of a win button than an interesting risk.

I was always annoyed that there was no real counter play (Z-Moves kind of had protect, i guess) to Z Moves & Megas.

On one hand, I do get it. You only get one shot at them each and they're meant to be the fancy new spectacle of their generations. And it's consistent with the handful of other "if held item, then form change" items

But on the other hand something about these mechancis being based around item usage, it really feels like ltierally any of the item-negation moves should have done something.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I wonder if Fearow is the "creator's pet" of another senior GF figure, since it has been available in every region bar Hoenn and Galar, usually even in late-game areas (despite, you know, not being a particularly powerful 'mon), and it still remains one of the "untouched" ones in DrPumpkinz' overview. Like Psyduck, it appears to be "special" enough to always be included, but nobody is allowed to add to its design either.
It's definitely possible, but I think it could also be because Fearow makes a great generic bird encounter in mid- and late-game areas, and we've gotta have one of those. Would explain why it has failed to be as universal as our lord Psyduck but is still a pretty frequent sight.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's definitely possible, but I think it could also be because Fearow makes a great generic bird encounter in mid- and late-game areas, and we've gotta have one of those. Would explain why it has failed to be as universal as our lord Psyduck but is still a pretty frequent sight.
That is a possibility. Then again, it's not like Pokémon is short on generic birds. I mean, Gen II alone introduced 11 new Flying-type families - aside from the legendaries.

And then again again ... they are using other generic birds quite often too, upon closer inspection. Doduo/Dodrio have been in every region except Alola and Galar. Farfetch'd is only missing from Hoenn and Alola. Scyther is missing Hoenn and Unova. Pidgey is missing Hoenn and Galar (and Orre, if you count that). Zubat can be found in every region, so can Natu and Hoothoot. It's fitting that Skarmory is a Steel-type, because it's a staple: available in every region including Orre. Taillow misses Kanto, of course, but can be found in every other region except Galar. Wingull infest every region except Kanto. So does Swablu. Braviary and Mandibuzz have been in every region after their introduction too ...

Perhaps the annoying thing with Fearow is how it's usually found much later in the game than its stats suggest it would. It's presented as a Victory Road 'mon, when we know it evolves from one of those early-route crapmons and has stats on par with, say, Liepard or Wigglytuff. Fearow is out-statted by Venomoth and Seaking, for instance. It's not really one of those Pokémon you're excited to find on the last Route of the game.

It's probably worth noting that unlike Fearow, Dodrio & Farfetch'd are placed differently.
Doduo was exclusive to the safari zone in hoenn, only available by swarm in DPPtBW12. Farfetch'd as you said missing from Hoenn and both sets of Alola games, is also only available by swarm in gen 4 & 5

Fearow is just...present, on routes. It is all over the sevii islands, it's on post game routes in Sinnoh, it's on post game routes in both unova games, it's raiding you in victory road, it's dive bombing you in alola's midgame AND post game.

RE: "Super Mode" gimmicks: I've said it before and I'll say it again, all the "super mode" gimmicks are bad. They're just that: gimmicks. Gimmicks to be tossed aside next Gen (or basically be tossed aside in the case of Megas). They're also generally overpowered and ruin the games' already shoddy balance even further. This next point will be petty and specific, but I find it a problem as sometime ROM hacker: it inhibits AI team design as well. There's the pressure fit the "super mode" on a boss's team, constraining your design and preventing more rounded and interesting team setups. These "super modes" in Pokemon also scream "We don't trust our core game design --- have this flashy, OP thing instead.". Just pathetic. One could also say it takes away from incompetent and lazy Game Freak's dev time on making the core game good. We all know how just inept Game Freak is at time management and coding --- making these stupid gimmicks aren't helping.

TLDR: "Super modes" bad and a waste of time. Stick to things like stat buffs, regional forms, and new evolutions when it comes to changing Pokemon, Game Freak. Not these dumbass gimmicks that take time away from the dev time you sorely need.

Probably not going to get the game, but it's kind of looking like BDSP might not use any of those "super mode" gimmicks. If so, nice.

We all know how just inept Game Freak is at time management and coding --- making these stupid gimmicks aren't helping.
Frankly, I don't see their coding as that bad. I skimmed through this file from a DPP decompiled ROM and it mostly looked fine from what I could tell. I found the elongated switch statements a bit weird, but they mostly made sense in context. It does seem a bit clunky that they relied on an int variable for the switch statement, but I'm not sure how these methods are called + I don't use switch statements ever so I can't really judge.

As for management, the only thing that seems bad is the release schedule. Haven't looked too much into Gamefreak's working conditions so I might be wrong on the following point, but I can at least appreciate that Masuda has actual experience programming and it doesn't seem like he overworks & overextends his employees.

decompiled
This means the source code (and all its variables, styles, etc.) was written by the decompilers (the contributors of that repo) themselves, not by Game Freak, which is why it's allowed to be posted to GitHub in the first place(!). Unfortunately, that means it proves very little about Game Freak's actual coding practices. For that, we'd need to dive into an actual leak which wouldn't be on GitHub.

Last edited:
This means the source code (and all its variables, styles, etc.) were written by the decompilers (the contributors of that repo) themselves, not by Game Freak, which is why it's allowed to be posted to GitHub in the first place(!). Unfortunately, that means it proves very little about Game Freak's actual coding practices. For that, we'd need to dive into an actual leak which wouldn't be on GitHub.
My assumption was that the decompilers converted the assembly code of the executable to C. Even though the conversion isn't 1-1, I thought the methods were at least somewhat based on the control flow of the assembly code, which has specific protocols for method calls & the like.

I.e. if I called the method "ZeroMonData(struct Pokemon * pokemon)" on line 177, the compiled code would push the return address of whatever "ZeroMonData()" gets converted to on the stack & by the end of its execution, the callee pops the return address & jumps back to where "ZeroMonData()" was called, giving us a clear reference for the start & end point of the method.

I'm mostly speaking out of my @$$ here since I didn't pay attention in my operating systems class so correct me if I'm wrong.

My assumption was that the decompilers converted the assembly code of the executable to C. Even though the conversion isn't 1-1, I thought the methods were at least somewhat based on the control flow of the assembly code, which has specific protocols for method calls & the like.

I.e. if I called the method "ZeroMonData(struct Pokemon * pokemon)" on line 177, the compiled code would push the return address of whatever "ZeroMonData()" gets converted to on the stack & by the end of its execution, the callee pops the return address & jumps back to where "ZeroMonData()" was called, giving us a clear reference for the start & end point of the method.

I'm mostly speaking out of my @$$ here since I didn't pay attention in my operating systems class so correct me if I'm wrong.
That would work only if the compiler GF used for D/P had little to no optimization.

...I was about to type "that seems unlikely" until I remembered how slow the game ran. Is this related or just a coincidence? Edit: One easy way to tell would be to see if Platinum's asm is significantly different in parts that would be expected to stay the same between D/P and Pt.

(The only reference point I have is Super Mario 64, which was built without optimization only because it was an N64 launch title. That meant the compiler used for it was still being developed at the same time, so it predated optimizations. D/P had 2 years and a delay.)

DP's slowness is probably several factors and not necessarily poor optimiziation?
The overworld being 30 FPS was probably either a concession made for their engine (the DS wasn't THAT powerful, they had just entered the 3D space for Pokemon, it was early days with the DS in general, etc) or some other purposeful design decision. The fact platinum had the same speed on the overworld except for Surfing specifically, just feels like a purposeful thing at least.

The saving thing I think is because they were overly cautious on save checks. IO definitely remember someone finding the code related to it in the decompiler and they go through this very intense check.

The slowness of the battles......well who knows, really.

e: Well honestly it might be better to say it is not necessarily just poor optimization

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)