(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The simple fact of trying to argue for it is silly, because they weren't thought to be in first place.
The post I was replying to posited Butterfree and Beedrill as early game powerhouses that fall off quickly as you get stronger Pokémon. I was just explaining that even in the best circumstances for them, they aren't powerful at all. All this extra stuff you've brought up is totally irrelevant to anything I or Scrafty said. This isn't about developer intent, it's about player perception.

My issue with the early game tutorial Pokemon type of design is that it runs very counter to a theme of the games, be it something designed into the aesthetic and tone, or simply something grafted onto the franchise by marketing the fantasy animals: the idea that a Trainer and their Pokemon are supposed to bond and be partners/companions.
I disagree. When I played Emerald as a wee lad, the only constant Pokemon on my team was my starter. And yet I didn't think of it as my only companion. In every new area, I would catch every new Pokemon I could, give them not-very-creative nicknames, and maybe use them for a while before they fell behind because my starter got most of the experience. But I never thought lesser of them, never considered them not to be companions. When I look through my box all these years later, I still smile at old friends like Punchy, Light Cat, and Metel(sic) Dude.

Nobody would want to use Gligar or Sneasel if Gliscor and Weavile respectively didn’t existed,
Speak for yourself :blobtriumph:

and while evolution and new gimmick like Mega Evo isn‘t a guaranteed fix (and not permanent as we saw with what happened to Megas) it all comes down to execution than anything else. And lower wholly new Pokémon per region since Kalos does not excuse the fact that the quality-quantity ratio didn’t raised in terms of likeabiltiy and flavor, something Alola did better but then we had a near 180 for Galar.
Not 100% sure if you're saying that Kalos's Pokémon were weak in concept, or just overshadowed by the huge regional dex, but I feel like Gen 6 had, as a whole, some of the best-designed Pokes in the series. Gen 7 probably beats it though! Gen 8 is rougher; hard to say where the blame on that falls, but it also has some absolutely stellar concepts sprinkled throughout (Centiskorch, Fossils, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Dragapult, Applin line, Toxtricity, etc)

pokemon_dialga.png
pokemon_palkia.png
487Giratina-Origin.png

Two of these things are not like the other.
Two of these things do not belong.
Can you tell which things are not like the other?
Can you tell which things do not belong?

Seriously, while I like the new forms of Dialga and Palkia as a duo, they're not Origin forms. They have no interest in maintaining aesthetic cohesion with Origin Giratina, they don't bother at all with the role reversal stat swap of Origin Giratina, they don't change their abilities like Origin Giratina. Even their lore is completely different from Origin Giratina. Game Freak could have called them literally anything else and I would have been fully on board with them, but they called them Origin forms when they just aren't.

where do the professors get their shrinking machines??????

the portion where they stop talking and you go from full adult size to tiny sprite inexplicably after they tell you government propaganda about how the world works to get you out of the way as soon as possible

what is the origin of these shrink rays? why have evil teams not tried to take advantage of them? is oak secretly running a black market for shrink rays? he is the real giovanni after all. my life is a lie

then the unexplained shrink rays inexplicably disappear in gen 5 and onward. maybe the government or the pokemon league found out. maybe they cut lex luthor-I mean professor oak a check and he sold them while you weren’t looking

that’s why they send you off on your pokemon journey. not for knowledge advancement. not to woo your biological mother. to secretly sell their underground shrink rays for money to further fund their EVIL, the EVILS of which I have yet to determine and in this essay I will-

heck, maybe that is the reason you never saw oak in your travels outside the league. he was shrunk down, stealing from the bike shop and extorting them under your nose by forcing them to close down unless they paid a huge sum of money to get the bikes back as ransom!!! that’s why the bikes are so expensive, they have to jack up the price to get their precious customers back. it all makes sense now.

what’s even creepier is that no one even mentions this shrink ray technology. in a world where there are organisms like eevee that troll darwin by having three different forms and everyone knows this, shrink rays are conspicuously not good enough for the pokenews. has oak got pokenews in his pocket? is that why the citizens are so apathetic in every game?

giovanni, the poor failure. he’s over here trying to figure out the secrets of the master ball and mewtwo, while some old fart has cracked the genius code with a shrink ray and was a billionaire years earlier. we just never realized it. he can market a shrink ray but not remember his grandson’s name inexplicably. maybe the cash windfall drowned it out from his subconscious.

open your eyes, readers, before you too are fooled by this secret conspiracy.

Last edited:
View attachment 407712View attachment 407713View attachment 407714

Two of these things are not like the other.
Two of these things do not belong.
Can you tell which things are not like the other?
Can you tell which things do not belong?

Seriously, while I like the new forms of Dialga and Palkia as a duo, they're not Origin forms. They have no interest in maintaining aesthetic cohesion with Origin Giratina, they don't bother at all with the role reversal stat swap of Origin Giratina, they don't change their abilities like Origin Giratina. Even their lore is completely different from Origin Giratina. Game Freak could have called them literally anything else and I would have been fully on board with them, but they called them Origin forms when they just aren't.
Honestly?

They fit "Origin" way better than Giratina. It's a little weird that Giratina was "Origin" to begin with because it was cast into the distortion world later, as punishment. This being its "original form", the thing intrinsic to calling something "Origin", is...weird, in that regard, since theoretically its the form it took to properly adapt to a gravity less strange world.

now of course the easy hand wave here is that is Giratina's true form and it just happened to align properly with the Distortion World's properties (well i mean it WAS Arceus' doing, so...) or maybe the DW was ALWAYS Giratina's realm and Arceus just locked it away in there, but Origin just being a catch all for their original true forms works more for the pair.

So all that said, I'll also say that Dialga & Palkia being the goodytwoshoes who given the chance to form their own forms in their own realms tries to imitate Arceus while Giratina purposely doesn't, is pretty flavorful. "no fuck YOU dad"
(Also they all have the face mask thing that can split open or raise up, which is cute? It was something I didn't expect to see until watching their animations.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There's a theory that Heatran was the inciting incident of the continent towing myth. Volcano threatens Sinnoh, Regigigas moves Sinnoh and/or the volcano out of the way.
Or, to put each on par with one another, maybe Regigigas moving the continents released energy within magma chambers deep underground which resulted in more births of Heatran. The Heatran in turn then start digging more tunnels and chambers to make the magma flow, which results in the creation of more tectonic plates forming thus easier for Regigigas to move the continents around. As with it easier for Regigigas to move the continents it begets more Heatran who dig more making the continents easier to move until Regigigas was finished moving around the continents and went into a deep sleep and the Heatran just maintained the planet's magma flow.

I remember there was other lore scattered about the Tundra, though, and I'm not sure the timeline necessarily lines up. But it's been a long time, I might be confusing some things.
The only "issue" I see with Calyrex's battle with Eternatus as soon as it arrived to the planet is that it would have happened 20k years ago. After the battle it awoke weakened in ancient Freezington where the people there helped it and thus it then helped them. 20k years seems a bit too far back for that, so instead I think the events happened like this:

> 20k Years Ago: Calyrex came into being and "ruled" the Galar region. Back then it was very powerful, likely power equaling the 680 BST mascot Legendaries, notably without needing the Wild Horse(s) which may or may not have existed. The Pokedex entries for its Rider forms mentions Calyrex at such power level can see the past & future as well as, at the very least, teleport something as large as an entire landmass.

20k Years Ago: Calyrex foresaw a meteorite crashing down in a forest and teleported said forest away, likely to where the Crown Tundra now resides. Of course this meteorite was Eternatus, however having just crashed onto the planet it likely wasn't active. Still, its landing setup for the creation of the Crown Tundra by forcing Calyrex to move an entire forest to the cold south.

20k Years Ago - Before 1st Darkest Day (3k Years Ago):
  • Humans became a more active presence and power, forming civilizations and "industrializing" (for lack of a better word, what I'm trying to get across is that humans built themselves up using their intelligence and tool use to invent more complex infrastructure and economy; basically what separates us from other animals or Pokemon in this case).

• With now a forest to gain resources from, people moved to the the cold south and formed basic villages, one being Freezington.

• Calyrex kept "ruling" this entire time, likely watching humans rise up (and possibly even saw in the future people taking over rule of Galar).

• It was at this time that the Wild Horse(s) likely came into being as it was said to "rule" the Crown Tundra for a time (and terrorized the people of Freezington and likely any other human settlement that tried to setup there). Its/Their creation could have been as early as the teleportation event, created from residual energy from Calyrex, thus explaining the connection between it/them and Calyrex and how Calyrex gains power from riding it/them later on.

1st Darkest Day/3k Years Ago:
  • Eternatus wakes up likely someplace near the Crown Tundra (can't see Calyrex moving an entire forest THAT far away from where it originally was) and starts causing chaos.

• Calyrex goes to fight Eternatus but is defeated and severely beaten. Calyrex barely escapes with its life while Eternatus goes north. This effectively ends Calyrex's reign.

• Eternatus is defeated by Zacian & Zamazenta and people fully take over as the rulers of Galar.

1st Darkest Day/3k Years Ago - SwSh's Present:
  • Calyrex shows up in Freezington severely injured and weakened. The people there nurse it back to health and, to return their kindness, Calyrex uses what's left of its power to make the land more fertile and defended them against the Wild Horse(s). At some point the people make the Reigns of Unity that Calyrex was able to use to tame the Wild Horse(s) and ride it, regaining a lot of its power that it uses to enrich the Crown Tundra becoming a sort of local deity.

• This however was only temporary as Calyrex loses much of its remaining power and the Reigns of Unity either are lost or break freeing the Wild Horse(s). The Wild Horse(s) seemingly go into hiding/seclusion while the land turns back into a cold & mostly infertile wasteland. Unable to face the people of the Crown Tundra out of shame, Calyrex hides and watches from afar, waiting for a someone that could help it tame the Wild Horse(s) once again to regain its power. The people of the Crown Tundra, which narrows down to just those who live in Freezington, start forgetting Calyrex as it becomes a vague legend.

I'm going to assume I don't need to post what happened during the Crown Tundra DLC?

Where can you find Stonjourner? Not only is it not found anywhere near this town, it's also one of the Pokemon they chose to be version-exclusive for some reason. So if you have Shield you can come into this town, see all this Stonjourner related stuff, and then it turns out you can't actually get it. I know that "version exclusives bad" is preaching to the choir but this one is especially egregious.

Edit: Being so early in the game, having a single-stage's BST is a bit of an issue. Still, they could have made it possible to obtain around this area by giving it a prevo or designing the region so that the Stonehenge stuff is later in the game.
Or let it be catchable in Turffield but in a location that's only accessible later on, like there's a ruins location that's normally inaccessible to the public (maybe closer to the Geoglyph) that you can see NPCs and Pokemon there hinting you can go there. While the gate remains permanently closed, once you get the Water Bike you can use a pond right next to it to go around the gate (don't worry, no one really cares your trespassing). In addition to some Trainer Battles there's also Wild Pokemon, including Stonjourner.

Least we forget Bellossom in Gen 7...
1645142790582.png

Someone else feel free to post the cutout stand of the Hula dancer with Bellossom in the Heahea city welcome center. According to Bulbapedia, Heahea city was founded by Kanto and Johto trainers, so there's a possible explanation. Doesn't explain the occasional NPC throughout Alola with a Bellossom though.
Or made an Alolan Bellossom (and I guess also an Alolan Vileplume).

I'm so glad the stock art actually makes them look better then the model renders we first had of them.

ANYWAY, while they probably could have just called them "Alpha Forms" and called it a day... at the same time I wonder if calling them "Origin Form" just like Giratina's is intentional. Cause, the thing is, they ARE different. O-Giratina is the form it naturally takes within the Distortion World, aka its domain (or has an object that resonates with the energy of the Distortion World like the Griseous Orb). Meanwhile O-Dialga and O-Palkia are forms they took in order to essentially impersonate Arceus, aka the "Original One". They're all "Origin", but a different sense/definition of the word. And that's just it, "Origin" is a word, a descriptor made by people to just describe these form changes. Giratina, Dialga, and Palkia don't care what the form is called, all they care about is that its a form they can change into to adapt to their environment and/or obtain more power.

Heck, if you want to look at the bigger picture, these likely isn't even their "true" forms. Cause their true forms are formless, they're a cosmic force, an omni entity and the bodies we see are just avatars they're using to interact with the material world. Which leads into R_N's comment:

They fit "Origin" way better than Giratina. It's a little weird that Giratina was "Origin" to begin with because it was cast into the distortion world later, as punishment. This being its "original form", the thing intrinsic to calling something "Origin", is...weird, in that regard, since theoretically its the form it took to properly adapt to a gravity less strange world.

now of course the easy hand wave here is that is Giratina's true form and it just happened to align properly with the Distortion World's properties (well i mean it WAS Arceus' doing, so...) or maybe the DW was ALWAYS Giratina's realm and Arceus just locked it away in there, but Origin just being a catch all for their original true forms works more for the pair.

So all that said, I'll also say that Dialga & Palkia being the goodytwoshoes who given the chance to form their own forms in their own realms tries to imitate Arceus while Giratina purposely doesn't, is pretty flavorful. "no fuck YOU dad"
Is that lore from Legends: Arceus? I haven't finished it yet (I'm taking my time, I find just exploring and casually finishing Dex tasks rather calming) though I know most of the spoilers (for me its the journey that counts).

Anyway, it's very likely that latter point is what happened. Arceus likely created an avatar form first cause when creating a universe it's kind of handy having a material form to check to make sure things are working as intended. Arceus then creates Dialga to control time, Palkia to control space, and Giratina to handle anti-matter (with Arceus representing "matter"). This setup essentially makes Giratina a direct opposite to Arceus, which makes it angry, but at the same time means it too probably needs a material form if it's to do its job (though, unlike Arceus which took a form of a solid-looking quadruped mammal, Giratina made its form more gaseous and slender so it could maneuver better in a place which has its own physics). Dialga and Palkia didn't need material forms to do their job and MUCH later, when it came to a point where it was decided they required material forms, since the forms were more for presence than utility they copied Arcues form to both honor it and maybe see if they could obtain some more power while doing so. Not sure why they would then pick their "normal" forms after that, maybe discovering they didn't really get any extra power they decided it would be better for them to have a more unique appearance so that Arceus alone has it's "quadruped mammal" look (unless this is something they explain in Legends: Arceus).

EDIT: Except, no, it doesn't make sense for this to be their "Origin" form as these forms are directly derived from their normal form forced into an Arceus shape. To make the theory work, maybe Dialga & Palkia had their normal form shape but it was never a material avatar, just energy compacted into those vague shape. So when it was time to make a material body, they took the general vague shapes their energy bodies would take but molded it into an Arceus shape. When that didn't do what they quite wanted they then just had a material form based on their normal shape. So it's "Origin" only in the sense that's what they decided their first material bodies to look like. Yeah, I guess that works... or, you know, GF can STOP SAYING NEW FORMS ARE WHAT A POKEMON WAS MEANT TO LOOK LIKE!

Last edited:
Something that bugs me is how despite stuff from the 1996 Pokedex book still being canon apparently, GF really never tried explaining it outside very brief snippets
So stuff like Pokemon being forced into a small fetal state for capture, Porygon being made in 1996 literally, Kadabra having a book "Metamorphasis" instead of Kadabras literally being kids that transform...still not explained
And then Gen 2 brought the concept of "eggs" that are still not really explained well. Most missed that the eggs aren't actual eggs, moreso incubators

Bringing this up cuz Legends Arceus further confirms mons shrinking in fetal states, so...

Like....GF you can't just ref stuff from over 20 years ago and not explain it

I wonder how many of these wack obscure things are just common knowledge among Japanese fans.
Also this
Like....most of the OSTs were Japan only for a long while despite international success
The Gen 1 anime also had some stuff from the Japan only book (like Scyther and Electabuzz hating red), though I'm not sure if modern Japan is aware of this
Either way, an actual worldwide accessible doc would be nice

where do the professors get their shrinking machines??????

the portion where they stop talking and you go from full adult size to tiny sprite inexplicably after they tell you government propaganda about how the world works to get you out of the way as soon as possible

what is the origin of these shrink rays? why have evil teams not tried to take advantage of them? is oak secretly running a black market for shrink rays? he is the real giovanni after all. my life is a lie

then the unexplained shrink rays inexplicably disappear in gen 5 and onward. maybe the government or the pokemon league found out. maybe they cut lex luthor-I mean professor oak a check and he sold them while you weren’t looking

that’s why they send you off on your pokemon journey. not for knowledge advancement. not to woo your biological mother. to secretly sell their underground shrink rays for money to further fund their EVIL, the EVILS of which I have yet to determine and in this essay I will-

heck, maybe that is the reason you never saw oak in your travels outside the league. he was shrunk down, stealing from the bike shop and extorting them under your nose by forcing them to close down unless they paid a huge sum of money to get the bikes back as ransom!!! that’s why the bikes are so expensive, they have to jack up the price to get their precious customers back. it all makes sense now.

what’s even creepier is that no one even mentions this shrink ray technology. in a world where there are organisms like eevee that troll darwin by having three different forms and everyone knows this, shrink rays are conspicuously not good enough for the pokenews. has oak got pokenews in his pocket? is that why the citizens are so apathetic in every game?

giovanni, the poor failure. he’s over here trying to figure out the secrets of the master ball and mewtwo, while some old fart has cracked the genius code with a shrink ray and was a billionaire years earlier. we just never realized it. he can market a shrink ray but not remember his grandson’s name inexplicably. maybe the cash windfall drowned it out from his subconscious.

open your eyes, readers, before you too are fooled by this secret conspiracy.
huh

On another note, Dratini in Gen 3 is one of the few Kanto Pokémon whose sprites did not change in-between RS and FRLG. This wouldn’t be as much of an issue, as a few others kept their perfectly-fine RS sprites... except Dratini’s RS sprite is a weird shade of purple instead of blue like Dragonair. What happened here?

Or made an Alolan Bellossom (and I guess also an Alolan Vileplume).
That evo line has always bugged me. Now, to be fair, it was Gen II, they were just figuring out how cross-gen evolutions should work, but,
:oddish: :gloom: :vileplume: :bellossom:
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong. Body color changes, body shape changes, typing changes, number of blossoms changes...I just don't get what they were thinking. There's almost no design continuity kept from Gloom.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That evo line has always bugged me. Now, to be fair, it was Gen II, they were just figuring out how cross-gen evolutions should work, but,
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong. Body color changes, body shape changes, typing changes, number of blossoms changes...I just don't get what they were thinking. There's almost no design continuity kept from Gloom.
Might I also point out the fact that Bellossom is smaller than even Oddish, and by extension is smaller than Gloom?

Yeah that's something I found incredibly odd myself. Usually when a Pokemon evolves, it gets bigger in size and heavier. A Gloom that evolves into a Bellossom actually shrinks and gets smaller and lighter, and is even smaller than Oddish, at a solid four inches shorter and only a pound heavier. That's right, an Oddish that ends up as a Bellossom will end up in its final stage smaller than it was in its original unevolved form. And that's even putting the dissonance between them aside.

I mean, there have been other cases of mons getting smaller/lighter when they evolve, namely Salamence being lighter than Shelgon, but that's understandable since the bulk of Shelgon's weight was a massive, hard, and heavy shell that served as a pupa, which obviously peels off when it evolves so Salamence is free of that shell that weighed it down, and Gengar is "smaller" than Haunter, but much of Haunter's "height" was its tail and it's a non-physical ethereal Pokemon, while Gengar is by nature a more solid entity and loses its tail, and it also happens to be bulkier in frame and larger in overall appearance than Haunter. Bellossom is smaller in frame, lighter in weight, and looks totally different from Gloom.

Also, the other thing that annoys me about Bellossom being a cross-gen alternate evolution of the Oddish line is the disparity between Oddish and its counterpart, Bellsprout. While Oddish got an alternate third evo from Vileplume, Bellsprout did not get an alternate third evo from Victreebel. It's an annoying disparity between the two where only one gets a new alternate final evo while the other does not. It's not quite as bad as Ursaring and Dusclops getting evolutions while Donphan and Banette getting completely left in the dust (even though Ursaluna and Dusknoir are indeed extremely cool and awesome Pokemon), but the disparity is still irksome.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I can see a little resemblance with Oddish, maybe the idea is that by using the Sun Stone it maybe inverses aspects of the growth process, mainly the giant flower doesn't grow allowing for the two little flowers to bud. As for it turning green, well the Sun Stone has the power of the sun and so with an extra boost of solar energy it develops more chlorophyll to photosynthesis thus turning more green.

Bellossom originally had the same skin color but I think the Jynx controsvery had them skiddish and they changed it very late in the game (the artwork for the time still had the old color and they used it for the shiny colors instead...)

SW97, where also it had black skin because that was the color applied to the oddish family due to color limits, was still Grass/Poison and evolved by Poison Stone, so I think the original intent was akin to "what if instead of a smelly corpse flower, it became a happy alluring dancer". Basically something to play up the "happy" aspects of the line and continue to take it in a positive direction.
When the Sun Stone entered the picture, they tweaked this to be more of a "purified" version: lost the poison, and the design definitely got cuter.
That kind of fits with something like Politoad, which is "what if Poliwhirl became an actual frog", or to an extent Slowking, which is "what if the shellder bit the head"

The strangest part to me about the whole "Oddish got a new evolution but Bellsprout didn't" thing isn't that only one half of a pair got a new thing, but rather that the half that made less sense got a new thing.

Based on Weepinbellossom's beta sprite, it looked more in-line with the Bellsprout family than Bellossom does the Oddish family, and it has actual story significance, what with Sprout Tower and all.

Also, come to think of it, "Bellossom" sounds more like a cheery addition to the Bellsprout family than it does the Oddish family. Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victrebel, Bellossom. That's probably a coincidence.

The strangest part to me about the whole "Oddish got a new evolution but Bellsprout didn't" thing isn't that only one half of a pair got a new thing, but rather that the half that made less sense got a new thing.

Based on Weepinbellossom's beta sprite, it looked more in-line with the Bellsprout family than Bellossom does the Oddish family, and it has actual story significance, what with Sprout Tower and all.

Also, come to think of it, "Bellossom" sounds more like a cheery addition to the Bellsprout family than it does the Oddish family. Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victrebel, Bellossom. That's probably a coincidence.
Indeed it is, japanese name is akin to "pretty bell flower" (which, well, it is one) and the Bell in the localized name is meant to reflect that.

The Japanese names of the Bellsprout line basically go "still just a bud" -> a corruption on "pitcher plant" -> the same corruption on pitcher plant, but also a pun on jar or pot. With the cut evolution being a pun on "bud" (since its more like bellsprout) and mitt (presumably a long, roundabout way of referring to pitchers as in baseball but also as in pitcher plant).

Slowking was originally the evolution to Slowbro
Slowking's a little weird. The original introduction of it seemed to have it evolve from Slowpoke...
1997 magazine/fanbook said:
Slowpoke, a very stupid Pokémon, was out fishing for bait when a Shellder clamped onto on its tail, causing it to evolve into Slowbro. However, it is said that, in 1 instance out of 10,000, a Shellder will clamp down on a Slowpoke's head instead of its tail. As the Shellder bites down, its essence penetrates the Slowpoke's listless brain cells, bestowing upon it extreme motivation. Slowking has quickly become a hot topic among Pokémon collectors. How its evolution takes place is still unspecified, but it has been established that it evolves from Slowpoke!
but the SW97 demo had it evolve from Slowbro as yo usay

Personally I think it was designed as a slowpoke evolution first, but SW97 just place it as a slowbro evolution as a temporary measure.

Slowking's a little weird. The original introduction of it seemed to have it evolve from Slowpoke...

but the SW97 demo had it evolve from Slowbro as yo usay

Personally I think it was designed as a slowpoke evolution first, but SW97 just place it as a slowbro evolution as a temporary measure.
Or perhaps they went back-and-forth. First designed as a second Slowpoke evolution, then changed into a Slowbro evolution, then turned back into a second Slowpoke evolution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 9)