(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I'm sure everyone remembers the art piece of Sylveon taking down a Hydreigon when it and the Fairy-type was introduced. Well, thing is, it's XY dex descriptions does not mention anything about being a dragon slayer. It was all about using its ribbons to wrap around the arm of its trainer as they walk and sending soothing aura through them to calm fights. That's it. It felt like they wanted Sylveon to maybe be like a pampered Pokemon like Delcatty is, probably giving it some "premium" feeling to it as you have to nearly max its affinity in Pokemon-Amie to get one.
For whatever reason, they decided to give it more of an edge, possibly because the dex descriptions in SM were all new (and possibly written by a fellow Pokemon, the Rotom Dex, so can give you the "inside scoop" about the species). So we go from a prim Pokemon which uses its feelers to calm fights and go walkies with its trainer to using its feelers to distract prey it apparently now has before pouncing on them and picking fights with big dragons. It's a 180 in tone.
So... Is Sylveon a Fairy-type Pokémon because it's cute and has magical pink pacifier feelers?
Hold on... Pink... Feelers... Beautiful...
God, did Milotic get shafted then. :milotic:
The Pokédex said:
"Milotic is said to be the most beautiful of all the Pokémon. It has the power to becalm such emotions as anger and hostility to quell bitter feuding."
"Milotic live at the bottom of large lakes. When this Pokémon's body glows a vivid pink, it releases a pulsing wave of energy that brings soothing calm to troubled hearts."
"Its dwelling place is the bottom of big lakes. Those who behold its loveliness are said to have their hearts purified."
Well, that’s a result of Game Freak rushing with the Fairy-type concept as it was being introduced alongside Mega Evolution.

Between the problems Fairy-type had caused than it solved, the atrocious balancing issues in Gen 6, and the fact that XY is by far the only game that have no third version, or no sequel, unless one counts ORAS as the follow up, it’s clear that Game Freak had planned Kalos way too poorly.

And outright skipping the Pokémon Z version in favor of Sun and Moon just because it’s the 20th anniversary means GF ended up abandoning Kalos instead of giving it a last hurrah like all prior Generations did to the respective regions. While XY helped reigniting the fanbase, it ended up causing a lot of damage that just went under our nose until now.

Fairy-type did fared better compared to how Steel and Dark debuted back in Gold and Silver, but the matchup clearly needs some work due to being too good offensively and defensively, something Water, Ground and arguably Steel are guilty for. It certainly relied too much upon fantasy tropes in terms of type matchup, for one.
Speaking of XY and SM...
Why move to Alola for the 20th anniversary of Pokémon? Why not make Pokémon Z the anniversary installment? Wouldn't that make sense to grab an existing region with existing assets and add some (more) nostalgic crap on it?

So... Is Sylveon a Fairy-type Pokémon because it's cute and has magical pink pacifier feelers?

Speaking of XY and SM...
Why move to Alola for the 20th anniversary of Pokémon? Why not make Pokémon Z the anniversary installment? Wouldn't that make sense to grab an existing region with existing assets and add some (more) nostalgic crap on it?
More advertised content = more money

New generation games always have better sales than the follow-up versions. People are always more hyped for a new generation than a revisit of an existing generation.

They already have the massively successful Pokémon Go for nostalgic content.

Speaking of XY and SM...
because you want a newer fancier game and not just a retread

e :Also Z would likely have been intended for the year prior and there was never in a million trillion years going to be an instance where they delay Z & Alola just so Z can land on the anniversary

I still wonder why Fairy is SE against dark. Lore wise, many fae are notoriously malicious to other creatures. Devaluing Bug as the Dark type hitter is also really bad
Honestly I'd change it to be;

SE against Dragon, Fighting
Resisted by Poison, Fire, Steel, Bug
Weak to Poison, Steel, Bug
Resists Dark, Fighting, Dragon

And then buff Bug to resist Dark as well

The immunity sponge was really OP, Dragon wasn't a good attacking type in technicality, it just had many high power mons and moves

I wonder if Fairy being weak to Steel was in part to maintain some aspects of DragMag. Magnezone may not be able to trap Fairy-types, but it does resist their attacks and threatens them out with a powerful Flash Cannon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Eh, despite those dex entries, Milotic still is a sea serpent which falls into the territory of Dragon-type (and the only reason it and Gyarados aren't Water/Dragon cause that would make them a bit too OP). They would need to do an intentional design push to make it part Fairy, say a Regional Variant or Super Form, but as is I think it's fine as mono Water.

e :Also Z would likely have been intended for the year prior and there was never in a million trillion years going to be an instance where they delay Z & Alola just so Z can land on the anniversary
XY was released 2013.
ORAS was released 2014.
Sun & Moon was released 2016.

There is a notable gap of 2015 missing a game, would have been a good slot for Z.
Now GameFreak & Pokemon Company will swear up and down they didn't have a Z version planned even though XY had what I felt were loose threads (notably with Zygarde) that wouldn't get properly resolved (Zygarde (and Ash-Greninja) getting pushed into Sun & Moon). So why would GF skip Z and 2015? Was what they were planning to do with Z (or whatever the third/advanced version(s) would have been) taking too long? Since Sun & Moon were a jump in graphics, were those games going to miss its deadline of 2016 so dumped Z and transferred everyone to Sun & Moon's development to get it finished?
Obviously we'll never know, but Sun & Moon were fully intended to be released on the 20th anniversary year and if that meant they had to scrap a third/advanced version(s) (which, as MegaFlareon said, never sell as well as the initial paired versions) then so be it. A new gen (with better graphics than the previous) on the Anniversary year is going to sell LOADS more than had they released Z on the Anniversary year & then released the new gen a year later.

I still wonder why Fairy is SE against dark. Lore wise, many fae are notoriously malicious to other creatures. Devaluing Bug as the Dark type hitter is also really bad

The immunity sponge was really OP, Dragon wasn't a good attacking type in technicality, it just had many high power mons and moves
Fairy > Dark: As I justify it, while both use trickery or dark power, Fairy have there's buffed by magic. Many Dark-type's trickery is mundane, sleight of hand or parlor tricks, meanwhile a Fairy is manipulating the environment around their target. Fairy can see what the Dark tricks are, but Dark can't see the Fairy tricks. As for the dark powers, the few Dark powers there are mostly is linked with dark emotions like anger or frustration and a bit of a rare trait. Fairy powers though are innate and they pull as much from nature as themselves, Fairy aren't fazed using magical power (which in turn they can then use trickery to bewilder or upset their opponent). It's all about emotion control, and Fairy have the upperhand.

Bug > Fairy?: Look, I get Fairy's interaction with Bug is odd with my own reasoning also not being solid on exactly why, but going the opposite direction also makes little sense. Fairy dominating Bugs? Some pop culture depiction show this relationship of Fairy riding or being assisted by Bugs thus they have a superiority to them. But how would a Bug be resistant, let alone super effective, against Fairy?

Bug > Dark: I can see that, Dark tricks not working on the mind of Bugs (or rather it does work but Bugs just don't care).

Fairy > Dragon: Wonder if anyone did any research to see how Fairy would have done with just a Dragon resist?

I wonder if Fairy being weak to Steel was in part to maintain some aspects of DragMag.
I'm going to assume you know about the Cold Iron thing, and more adding onto my theory GF specifically looked for a Type which filled certain criteria. I don't think it would be too farfetched to think they also wanted to give Types which didn't have any noteworthy advantages a leg up, which would be both Poison and Steel. Heck, the Steel part may have very well led them toward Fairy.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
TBF Dragon-Type Pokémon were broken because they had
  • Amazing neutral coverage with STAB, being resisted only by Steel-Type, which in turn meant Steel-Type Pokémon had to be on every team too
  • High BP moves and nigh-universal access to one of the best boosting moves in the game in Dragon Dance
Fairy-Type just being a resist solves neither issue. Steel-Type Pokémon are already generally physically defensive, being the counter to Dragon Dance, while Fairy-Type Pokémon usually aren't. Just adding in "Steel-Type but a bit different" would basically mandate every team having a Dragon / Steel / Fairy core to beat other Dragon / Steel / Fairy cores, because if you don't have a SpDef Fairy for Specs Draco Meteors and a Def Steel for Dragon Dance sweepers you just lose anyway. It wouldn't make Dragon less overbearing at all. Basically Fairy would just end up getting steamrolled by the high damage output from the top Dragon-Type Pokémon anyway. Steel-Type Pokémon are more defensive and that's the issue they had; you can only switch in so many times.

The immunity felt reasonable. It's the same thing they did to nerf Psychic-Type in Gen II. Psychic-Type's kinda bad now, honestly wish that Steel retained its resistance to Ghost and lost its resistance to Psychic in Gen VI because Psychic needs a buff at this point lol.

Last edited:
XY was released 2013.
ORAS was released 2014.
Sun & Moon was released 2016.

There is a notable gap of 2015 missing a game, would have been a good slot for Z.
Now GameFreak & Pokemon Company will swear up and down they didn't have a Z version planned even though XY had what I felt were loose threads (notably with Zygarde) that wouldn't get properly resolved (Zygarde (and Ash-Greninja) getting pushed into Sun & Moon). So why would GF skip Z and 2015? Was what they were planning to do with Z (or whatever the third/advanced version(s) would have been) taking too long? Since Sun & Moon were a jump in graphics, were those games going to miss its deadline of 2016 so dumped Z and transferred everyone to Sun & Moon's development to get it finished?
It was recently discovered that it likely wasn't anything related to Sun and Moon that doomed the XY follow-up pair of games(Since all we really know is that there was going to be two of them like B2W2 and USUM), but actually Project Gear(GF's Initiative at that time to push non-Pokemon games out), which was at its height at the time in regards to developer focus. So it was them using vast amounts of company resources to try to make a non-Pokemon smash hit that caused Game Freak to not finish up Gen VI properly.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Not really here to talk about competitive shit (which sadly seems to be overtaking a few threads here recently…) but whats your definition of a good attacking type then? Just a single resist and the availability of great attacks is more than enough for me… theres a reason 4drag2mag was a thing

As someone who's started working on a Generation 1 themed fan project now, I've only just recently realized just show terrible the new Pokémon distributions for certain types are in certain regions are. I already knew about the lack of Ghosts and Dragons in Kanto, but 33 POISON TYPES!? Are you kidding me!? That's over 20% of the entire Kanto roster! Poison is one of my favorite types in Pokémon, but the fact that Kanto had more Poison-Types than all of Johto, Hoenn, SInnoh, Unova, Kalos (only has two), and Alola combined is pretty freaking stupid. And for the love of Arceus, why are there so many Psychic-Type Legendaries!?
Yeah, this is one of my favorite fun facts. IIRC the number of Poison-Types introduced from gens 2-7 does exceed gen 1's 33 if you include Poipole and Naganadel but I could be misremembering, it's close. It definitely beats it if you include Mega Venusaur, Beedrill, and Gengar (all Gen 1 Pokémon) and Alolan Grimer/Muk (Gen 1 line). With Gen 8 there's now five more Poison-typed regional forms (Slowbro, Slowking, Weezing, Sneasel, and Qwilfish) and two regional evos (Sneasler and Basculegion), only two of which are derived from Gen 1 Pokémon.

It also took until gen 8 to get a true Poison-type legendary (Eternatus)

But Bug-Type is good, actually. SE on Psychic and Dark is very valuable, especially since everything else that hits one of the types SE is resisted by the other (besides Fairy which is neutral on Psychic and SE on Dark). On the flip side, resistance to Fighting and Ground is excellent, as these are two of the top offensive types in the game, though it shares the glory of countering those types with Flying.

Bug is one of the types in the game that is in some ways overtuned. I wouldn't claim it's outstanding or anything, but what it does do is patches up nice holes in the type chart and that makes it a valuable addition to teams. Even being SE on Grass-Type made it valuable coverage for Electric-Type Pokémon, before Signal Beam was cut in Gen 8 likely because it was such good coverage for those Electric-Type mons (GF really made Electric-Type Pokémon suffer this gen fwr).

That's not to say the type chart is balanced. Ice-, Grass-, Fire-, Ghost-, and believe it or not Psychic-Type are all pretty feeble and should be retuned.
Wow, I have a lot of issues with this whole post!
Fire-Type has one important niche (hitting Steel SE) but that doesn't mean much when it shares that accolade with Ground-Type, one of the best types in the game, and beyond that the best claim it has is resisting Fairy-Type, but Poison-Type is a much better-rounded defensive type to beat Fairy mons with thanks to only having 2 weaknesses (one being the rare Psychic-Type).
Fire has the highest number of resistances after Steel at 6, and resisting Fire, Ice, and Fairy are all very nice traits to have, and is only weak to half that number. They're pretty bad weaknesses, but Heavy-Duty Boots have helped Fire-types find good switch-in opportunities to use its myriad resistances. Meanwhile Ground has two weaknesses and an immunity (and resisting Poison is pretty niche), but has the same number of weaknesses. Fire is also immune to Burn, the status scourge of physical attackers. Scald being one of the main spreaders of the status sucks, but it is nice to be able to switch in on a Ghost's Will-o-Wisp.

Offensively Fire is pretty balanced; the types it hits Super effectively are already somewhat weak types aside from Steel, and it has four types that resist it, one of which is itself. However, it manages to hit two very strong defensive type combos (Bug/Steel and Grass/Steel) for 4x damage, being the only weakness of the first. Sun also exists to boost the power of Fire moves. It also lets Fire Types shoot off free Grass coverage is Solarbeam, which hits STAB attackers of its weaknesses super-effectively.

• Psychic-Type is replaced by Fairy-Type as the best counter to Fighting, and has never beaten Ground in being the best counter to Poison as Ground also resists Poison. It's an alright Defensive-Type on paper until you realise U-Turn and Knock Off exist, and its useful resistance of Fighting all run that now.
Not disagreeing that Psychic needs help, but with the high number of Psychic-type legends, mythicals, and other strong options it's a type that is kind of risky to buff. The power we see in Psychic is because of who it's attached to, not because of the type. And calling Psychic a potential defensive type when all it resists is itself (a bad offensive type) and Fighting? Wild take.

• Grass-Type is categorically the worst defensive type in the game besides Ice, with a caveat: resistances to Electric and Ground. Like Bug, it's one of those types that patches up two very opposing types in Psychic and Dark, and that's valuable. Except, Electric and Ground are two of the best types in the game, and Grass really doesn't do enough to carve its niche. It can switch into Electric and get Volt Switched on, or it can switch into a Ground mon as it uses Toxic or another similar utility move, as most Ground mons run. ZU is always teeming with Grass mons because they fail to find a place. Worse, is that Electric-Type being so good means Grass being one of two things to hit Water-Type SE is less valuable, though there are enough Water/Ground mons to give Grass a place with that. Grass is the best of the 5 I'm discussing here, but is still a D-Tier type.
I think you're underselling Grass a little, at least from an in-a-vacuum type analysis. Resisting Ground, Electric, and the also-good-for-general-coverage Water is extremely helpful. Steel is obviously the primary reason Ferrothorn an amazing defensive Pokémon, but Grass being its secondary type means it also resists Water and Electric, the only two types Steel was neutral to pre-Gen 6, and was neutral to Ground. It's always been immune to Leech Seed and it gained immunity to powder moves in Gen 6; these are mostly niche aspects as they primarily come into play against other Grass types (some Bugs for powder moves I guess? And in Doubles, Rage Powder?? Is that even still a move in SwSh???), but it's something. Yes, it has a lot of weaknesses _and_ a lot of types that resist it, but it has important functions.

I would argue one reason a lot of Grass types are stuck in ZU is because there are a lot of samey, low BST, support-leaning Grass Pokémon that just get overshadowed by the ones that have the stats/moves/abilities to play to the Grass-Type's strengths (Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Tangrowth, Whimsicott). Kind of an opposite to the Psychic type. It also tends to be highly lacking in worthwhile coverage moves, so Grass types that can't do their support/annoying role against certain Pokémon (say, anything with a Substitute) just become dead weight.

• Ghost-Type is just worse Dark-Type lmoa.
:pika:

What? Just... What??? You mean the only type with two immunities? The type that can't be trapped? The type that only has one other that resists it and one immunity (both of which can be covered by a move of one type)?

This one must be a troll, they have completely opposite defensive profiles and are only superficially similar offensively (okay, yes, they hit the same two types for super-effective damage).

Now I'm concerned the entire post was a troll and i just spent a long time seriously replying to all of it :zonger:

Many of the things I've posted on this thread end up being rather (big) things that annoy me. So in the spirit of the actual thread title, a little thing I do get annoyed by is the inconsistency between moves' PP and their accuracy.

For example, I'm not really sure why Thunder, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, and Blizzard are all different from a PP and accuracy perspective. Is there supposed to be an implicit tiering system within this group of moves whereby Blizzard is the most premium move due to its minimal PP and accuracy? But then how do you compare Thunder and Fire Blast, one of which has higher PP, the other higher accuracy? This isn't even taking into account secondary effects which would convolute any potential "tiering" of moves in a group or family even further.

Why does Ice Beam have less PP than Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Surf? Again, is an Ice type move a more premium move compared to the others (which are pretty good coverage wise in their own right)? Maybe, I guess, but then I don't know why Blizzard and Ice Beam usually cost as much as their Electric and Fire counterparts in department stores and Game Corners. Psychic (move) is a sort of loose member of this family of moves, why does it only have 10 PP? Is it really that great of a move compared to the aforementioned elemental moves? I know it used to be a (very) long time ago.

And why in the hell did Vine Whip only have 10 PP when Thundershock, Ember, Water Gun (and fucking Powder Snow for that matter) all had considerably more. I know this has since been rectified but it's not like Grass needed even more salt poured in their wounds while it sank deeper and deeper below Fire and Water during the formative years of the franchise.

Again, these are not big issues by any stretch and they rarely come up for me during my playthroughs. But they are logical inconsistencies that grate at me that I wish the game designers had the forethought to plan for in a more reasonable and systematic way before proceeding with implementing such mechanics.

Why does Ice Beam have less PP than Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Surf? Again, is an Ice type move a more premium move compared to the others (which are pretty good coverage wise in their own right)? Maybe, I guess, but then I don't know why Blizzard and Ice Beam usually cost as much as their Electric and Fire counterparts in department stores and Game Corners. Psychic (move) is a sort of loose member of this family of moves, why does it only have 10 PP? Is it really that great of a move compared to the aforementioned elemental moves? I know it used to be a (very) long time ago.
This one is tbh pretty simple and it's just due to the fact that Ice Beam sideeffect is MUCH stronger than the others.
In gen 1, a freeze was basically a KO, and even in following gens, a freeze is still almost basically a KO.
Ice moves that can freeze tend to have lower PPs or bigger downsides to compensate.

So, the box has had a pretty in depth search function for a while. It lists every available move & ability (SWSH excludes stuff that's literally not in the game, but otherwise even if you dont have the pokemon it will still list their stuff). Handy!

Abilities will, while you're browsing for one to select, display their description somewhere on the screen. This is also handy!

It does not do this with Moves. There's always plenty of room to display this information, so it sticks out a lot. Not handy at all.

I hate it when gym leaders are like "how did I lose?" or "you've surpassed me!" when you beat them. Maybe it makes sense for the later ones, but for the first 1-3? Really? The "Gym Leaders adjust their difficulty based on the players badges in order to test them" headcanon (Is this supposed to be canon? IDK) is the only way anything even remotely makes sense, so I have no idea why they keep doing this. Yes, you improve at an absurd speed because you're the protagonist, but surpassing the gym leaders in the first few badges is a bit much.

It's worse in Sword and Shield because it's explicitly stated that everyone has to go through the gyms in a set order:
Nessa said:
After being defeated
"How...? How can this be?!"
"*sigh* Now that I've battled you, I think I understand."
"Continue to seize victories in the Gym Challenge with your Pokémon."
"You have an incredible spirit that may even be strong enough to challenge the Champion."
This is the second gym. It's like if your elementary school teacher was like "you've surpassed me" after you do well on a math test. It's pretty easy to fix, so I have no idea why they can't just adopt the "it's a test" explanation. Heck, even in the first gym you get the explanation that Milo doesn't want to go all out against a weaker trainer.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I hate it when gym leaders are like "how did I lose?" or "you've surpassed me!" when you beat them. Maybe it makes sense for the later ones, but for the first 1-3? Really? The "Gym Leaders adjust their difficulty based on the players badges in order to test them" headcanon (Is this supposed to be canon? IDK) is the only way anything even remotely makes sense, so I have no idea why they keep doing this. Yes, you improve at an absurd speed because you're the protagonist, but surpassing the gym leaders in the first few badges is a bit much.

It's worse in Sword and Shield because it's explicitly stated that everyone has to go through the gyms in a set order:

This is the second gym. It's like if your elementary school teacher was like "you've surpassed me" after you do well on a math test. It's pretty easy to fix, so I have no idea why they can't just adopt the "it's a test" explanation. Heck, even in the first gym you get the explanation that Milo doesn't want to go all out against a weaker trainer.
Never Say Lose:
While I don't mind them being surprised they lost; no matter at what "level" they're battling at either against a newb with no Badges or a trainer who has gotten them all they are still the professional Pokemon battler. If anything, losing against a newb even when using a beginner team either means they're off their game or the newb knows their stuff & how to train their Pokemon. Is it cliche? Yeah, but I can understand it in the point of view that this is (one of) the Gym Leader's job. This is also especially notable for Galar Gym Leaders as, when at full power, they're supposed to be equal to Elite Four members. That could better explain Nessa's rather big jump in conclusion, off if you don't know at full strength they're E4 strong, makes sense that it could be forshadowing your Champion Cup battle against her later on.

Also it's always implied the player is an amazing trainer and that, while the battle seemed easy for us, for every other challenger the Gym Leaders are intense fights so us breezing through them makes us look like training prodigies.

Also it could be a combination of things specifically related to Nessa. She is a tad egotistical so she could be exaggerating; like maybe she felt like she was on a win streak and the player suddenly broke it. She's also friends with Sonia who told her about the player (and presumably Hop) as she knows you're the ones who got sponsored by Leon. She said she's specifically itching to fight you so, in theory, could have prepared a team specifically for you (and maybe Hop) to test the Champion's picks... and was just completely blown out of the water how you still defeated her.

Test Or Strength?
I do not believe its ever specifically been said that Gym Leaders use specific teams based on the number of Badges a trainer has. The ONLY instance of this concept in any canon is the anime special Pokemon Origins. In the first episode, before Red starts his battle with Brock, Brock asks how many Badges does Red have and, upon Red saying he had none, Brock goes over to a tray that contains six Poke Balls but only selects two of them.

Otherwise, it's never really said, only implied because as we get later and later it's the only explanation that makes sense.

Gen I, II, and RS they could get away with the concept of the Pokemon they're using are their only Pokemon as you never re-battle the Gym Leaders. Notably in Gen I you're able to skip around the intended Gym order yet the Gym Leader's level never changes, and in Gen III your father specifically doesn't allow trainers who don't have 3 Badges from challenging him (though that could also be something specific to the player as Norman is your father and may want to battle you when you've grown stronger on your own). But then comes Emerald which lets you re-challenge the Gym Leaders all who reveal they have much stronger teams. What's the explanation for this? Are we supposed to take it as they had these Pokemon all along but train other weaker Pokemon for Gym challenges of certain Badge numbers, or did they all power train until they were as strong as the Elite Four? Also, if we were to take their initial teams and "full power" teams, some Gym Leaders would have used more than 6 Pokemon or missing some.

Gen 4 then brings this issue more to the forefront. In DP, Fantina is participating in Contests so you need to skip the Hearthome Gym and challenge the Veilstone and Pastoria Gyms 3rd and 4th before going back to challenge Hearthome as your 5th. But in Platinum, Fantina is available as your 3rd Gym Battle. And her levels & team composition now are matching that of a 3rd Gym Leader than a 5th. Similarly, Maylene and Crasher Wake are pushed up a position and their teams reflect this. Alternate continuity based on the player's perspective or did they change their teams because th player now had different number of Badges? And of course there's rematches where they suddenly have Elite Four level teams.

Gen 5 is where the implication is on full display (but still never said). More notably in B2W2 than BW, though the only thing I'll say about BW would be that, when Bianca went to get back up against Team Plasma, it would be odd she would go get the Gym Leaders unless the people in-world know that the Gym Leaders do tier the Pokemon they use thus have a "full strength" team. But back to more "solid" evidence, the first being Cheren. We know Cheren has more than a Patrat and Lillipup (not counting Challenge Mode teams). Granted, unlike Blue, he did choose a Type Specialty and become Normal-type so maybe he decided to train a separate "Gym Team"; though later it's revealed he suddenly has a Cinccino.
Burgh, Elesa, Clay, Skyla & Drayden all have replaced one of their Pokemon with a "new" Pokemon; while nothing is canonically off, why don't they also use the Pokemon they suddenly stopped using unless they're required by League rules to only use 3 Pokemon? And of course we have their and all past Gym Leaders Pokemon World Tournament teams showing many have more than just 6 Pokemon.

Only notable thing from Gen 6 is that Korrina doesn't use her Lucario in her Gym Battle for some reason. Similarly, due to how the Island Challenge works, the only Gen 7 "League" trainers you battle at different times is Hala and Olivia. In SM, Hala's E4 Battle just has him picking up two more Pokemon but other than that uses the evos of the Pokemon he had for his Kahuna so nothing off; BUT Olivia in her Kahuna battle uses a Boldore which by her E4 battle is gone (though, funny enough, in USUM she does have a Gigalith in her E4 team but doesn't use the Boldore in her Kahuna battle).

Which of course brings us to now. Gen 8 is all-in on the implication but STILL doesn't say it outright. All Gym Leaders are as tough as E4 members, but when you battle them their Pokemon levels and team composition are based on Badges (or rather what Gym Leader you're up to as Galar is the first League which does say there is a "Gym order" and you cannot skip to the next Gym without beating the previous). Milo and Nessa don't even use their Gigantamax, they Dynamax (which comes with the additional implication that Nessa has two separate Dreadnaw, unless they're applying before and sometime in the middle of the Champion Cup she went over to the Isle or Armor to feed her Dreadnaw some soup).

And in a few days Gen 9 will now be adding a new page to all this. They're letting us challenge the Gyms in any order. How is that going to work? Are we going to see different teams? Will it be the same team but they're composed in a way they fit no matter when you battel them (big DOUBT on this from what we know about one Gym Leader's team)? Will Levels change or there be additional rules which change how Levels work? Or will there be an implied order but, if you want, you can just skip over some (and then come back to completely sweep them later... somehow I don't think this will be the case). And, if there is some kind of team changes based on the order of when the player challenge them, will they finally say that Gym Leaders adjust their teams based on the # of Badges? 7 more days.

Last edited:
So starting with...ORAS, I think, maybe Sun & Moon the Pokedex lets you swap out what gets displayed by default if a Pokemon has multiple forms. You just swap the entry and back out. It'll work with both the model and the minisprite. It's cute, you can even have it display the Shiny.
This also applied to bank when it got the ORAS update

It does not do this in Home. Just bugs me, I wanna display my shiny rainbow swirl alcremie!

Oh speaking of there's something very funny about Alcremie. If you put a flavor in, it does you a solid and just displays all the Sweets variations for it as well; no need to put each one in like you do for the SWSH dex. You do need to put individual flavors in but that's fine.
What's silly though, is that even though Shiny Alcremie has the same color scheme no matter the flavor, Home will only display the Shiny for that flavor. I feel so bad for Home Super Completionists.

:ss/delibird:
For most of its existence, Delibird has only ever been able to learn Present by level-up, but a variety of moves via TM, breeding, etc. Already this annoys me, because giving a mon with a limited level-up movepool regular TM and egg movepools ruins the bit (compare Magikarp and Feebas and consider that Magikarp is the funnier of the two).

But then Gen 7 went and gave Delibird another level-up move: Drill Peck at level 25. The bit was already half-assed, and now you're making it quarter-assed? Just drop the bit altogether and give it an actual level-up movepool.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Who's betting on a third level up move for SV? And only a third?
I would make it so every Level-Up it has a high chance (say 90%) to learn Present but also a low chance to learn another random Move.
If its Present and Delibird already knows Present, it'll just skip learning a Move for that Level-Up.
If it luckily lands on another Move, it'll then roll to see what Type: 30% to be Flying, 30% to be Ice, 20% to be Normal, & 20% to be "Special".
Once it decides what Type it is (or if its Special), it'll do one final roll to decide the actual move learned (if Delibird already knows the Move it lands on it'll reroll until it lands on a Move it doesn't know):
Flying: Brave Bird, Hurricane, Drill Peck, Air Slash, Defog, Roost
Ice: Blizzard, Ice Beam, Icicle Crash, Ice Punch, Freeze-Dry, Ice Shard
Normal: Hyper Voice, Extreme Speed, Strength, Tri Attack, Heal Bell, Entrainment
Special: Heat Wave, Flying Press, Signal Beam, U-turn, Poltergeist, Ominous Wind, Surf, Flip Turn, Aqua Jet, Life Dew, Extrasensory, Healing Wish, Magic Coat, Trick, Night Daze, Knock Off, Moonblast, Play Rough, Moonlight

If it's not going to be "good" at the very least it can be fun. Maybe do something similar with Smeargle (or at the very least have it learn Sketch every time it Levels-Up).

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Do y'all want a throwback? Let's have a throwback.

This guy.

THIS GUY.

Here's the thing, I'm all here for puzzles and exploration and all that good stuff. But this guy is the nightmare of 5 year olds everywhere. The fact that there's no way to get through him unless you happen to click on a vending machine is bad game design. The vending machines don't look like vending machines, they look like random background machines and boxes etc. which Red and Blue are full of. Why would you go round pressing A on them?

I didn't have friends and I didn't know what Google was. The way I got past this guy as a kid was I took my gameboy with me on a camping trip and a random teenager was watching me play and told me the solution. Which is a nice memory until you realise I stopped playing the games months before that trip because I couldn't get past him, and put in in my gameboy on the trip because I forgot that I was stuck. Because I was like 6 and remembering stuff like that is hard for a little kidbrain.

Without that camping trip I wouldn't have beat Red and Blue until I learned what google was.

Do y'all want a throwback? Let's have a throwback.

This guy.

THIS GUY.

Here's the thing, I'm all here for puzzles and exploration and all that good stuff. But this guy is the nightmare of 5 year olds everywhere. The fact that there's no way to get through him unless you happen to click on a vending machine is bad game design. The vending machines don't look like vending machines, they look like random background machines and boxes etc. which Red and Blue are full of. Why would you go round pressing A on them?

I didn't have friends and I didn't know what Google was. The way I got past this guy as a kid was I took my gameboy with me on a camping trip and a random teenager was watching me play and told me the solution. Which is a nice memory until you realise I stopped playing the games months before that trip because I couldn't get past him, and put in in my gameboy on the trip because I forgot that I was stuck. Because I was like 6 and remembering stuff like that is hard for a little kidbrain.

Without that camping trip I wouldn't have beat Red and Blue until I learned what google was.
Welcome to old games and the habit of companies back then of selling official game guides. Older Final Fantasy games are full of these!

Surprisingly, pokemon was actually very rarely a offender by this. Though I'm somewhat confident certain things in gen 2 and 3 were in similar way thought to be super hidden (see braille puzzles :| ) to get people to buy the guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 11)