(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uh I got tricked by gen nine, but atm no Fire get it except psychics. Also, caught Pokémon going in the last box you opened is kinda frustrating
Mystical Fire was originally Delphox's signature move after all.

The move originally belonged exclusively to Delphox who is a starter, and thus the move is generally dominantly associated with it. Armarouge gets it rn as it shares a typing with Delphox so flavor wise Armarouge can probably harness similar powers that Delphox can as a Fire/Psychic type.

It had a wide distribution in Gen 8 by virtue of being a TM, in Gen 9 it isn't anymore and Delphox exists again so it's back to being the Delphox move that its fellow Fire/Psychic type Armarouge shares with it due to having the same typing.

Mystical Fire was originally Delphox's signature move after all.

The move originally belonged exclusively to Delphox who is a starter, and thus the move is generally dominantly associated with it. Armarouge gets it rn as it shares a typing with Delphox so flavor wise Armarouge can probably harness similar powers that Delphox can as a Fire/Psychic type.

It had a wide distribution in Gen 8 by virtue of being a TM, in Gen 9 it isn't anymore and Delphox exists again so it's back to being the Delphox move that its fellow Fire/Psychic type Armarouge shares with it due to having the same typing.
Well and Mismagius (who got it in ORAS), Flutter Mane (because its just Misdreavus3), Ralts (eggs + Gardevoir level 1 move), Hatenna (eggs!) and Enamorus (sure why not).

So for gen 9 currently it's definitely favoring non-fires heh. Feel bad for Drifblim losing it from LA, though

Why did the soundtracks / Super Music Collections for Pokémon games stop getting released on digital platforms consistently after Sun and Moon? The last one we got to my knowledge was Let’s Go.

Seriously, even if SWSH isn’t the best game in the universe, I’d still want it and some of the USUM themes available. Scarlet and Violet also deserves a soundtrack release. Pokémon always has great music so I don’t get what the holdup is.

Why did the soundtracks / Super Music Collections for Pokémon games stop getting released on digital platforms consistently after Sun and Moon? The last one we got to my knowledge was Let’s Go.

Seriously, even if SWSH isn’t the best game in the universe, I’d still want it and some of the USUM themes available. Scarlet and Violet also deserves a soundtrack release. Pokémon always has great music so I don’t get what the holdup is.
Yeah it's really weird. If they had them on hold because they wanted physical releases to go with them, and covid maybe mucked that up, that has long since stopped being a production issue; the anime took a 2 year break from OST releases but got on earlier this year and is getting an OP/ED collection next year (8 CDs!), not to mention plenty of other CD releases in other companies and properties.

With SV I could maybe see an "issue" with the fact that Toby Fox is involved with more songs (Ed Sheeran's song would definitely just be excluded for obvious reasons I feel), but SWSH only had the Battle Tower theme that they could remove if they really didn't want to give him a cut of sales.
And neither of those issues come up at all with BDSP and especially LA.

See, I initially assumed they were just skipping USUM until a more “substantial” release like SwSh came along to bundle it with. Then I thought, okay, well maybe they’re just holding off on the SwSh soundtrack until the DLC releases. But then all of 2021 passed with no sign of it. Then 2022 passed with no sign of a BDSP or Arceus soundtrack release, let alone SwSh or USUM. At this point, I don’t expect a SV soundtrack to ever come, either.

I mean, even if they didn’t want to bother with production costs for producing physical CDs anymore, surely they could still do digital releases? Surely there would still be enough people willing to pay for it? I feel like not releasing them at all just encourages piracy.

Yeah it's really weird. If they had them on hold because they wanted physical releases to go with them, and covid maybe mucked that up, that has long since stopped being a production issue; the anime took a 2 year break from OST releases but got on earlier this year and is getting an OP/ED collection next year (8 CDs!), not to mention plenty of other CD releases in other companies and properties.

With SV I could maybe see an "issue" with the fact that Toby Fox is involved with more songs (Ed Sheeran's song would definitely just be excluded for obvious reasons I feel), but SWSH only had the Battle Tower theme that they could remove if they really didn't want to give him a cut of sales.
And neither of those issues come up at all with BDSP and especially LA.
Well Toby Fox from what I read in at least one interview got along with the Game Freak people fine, so I don’t think it’s a royalty dispute. And UNDERTALE’S music has seen digital release so idk what the problem really is.

Well Toby Fox from what I read in at least one interview got along with the Game Freak people fine, so I don’t think it’s a royalty dispute. And UNDERTALE’S music has seen digital release so idk what the problem really is.
To be clear I'm not saying GameFreak would necessarily have an issue with it nor would Toby Fox have an issue with it but, if this would ever be an issue, someone in the production process would probably go "BUT OUR MONEY!" at it.
And like I meant to imply with the quotes around it, it may not even be an issue and even if it did doesn't apply to the other 2 at all.

At the very least we probably wont get SV's OST until the DLC is out, so who knows maybe 2023 will get us some of those older OSTs

Pawmot and Iron Hands have very different roles both as ingame encounters and during PvP battles, so I think it's reasonable to have them both.

Honestly, I think a regional Electivire probably shouldn't be Fighting. The mon's current problem is that it's too straightforward: the only thing it ever runs is 4-attack sets. It desperately needs more of an identity than "attempts to hit things," and Fighting doesn't seem like a good way to provide that.
No it's problem is it's too slow and frail at the same time. And lacks any good physical stabs.

Having an stat spread like this 74/123/70/110/57/106 and good ability like transistor/electric surge(which fits it's lore) and some good new moves like plasma fists, mach punch and CC.

Any discussion about fixing Electivire probably should take into account how it was designed to parallel Magmortar, and that's partly why it has such an abysmal stat spread. Instead of emphasizing Electabuzz's higher Special Attack, its regular Attack was given a +40 increase, with no change in Special Attack. Magmortar on the other hand, got a mere +25 to Special Attack, as that was already a bit higher (100 vs. 95), and likewise no change in Attack. This gave both of them near identical stat spreads, just opposite emphasis on their offensive stats, whereas they were formerly almost equal. Since they were designed as parallels, redistributing Electivire's stats would mean doing the same for Magmortar, and likewise adding a new type to Electivire and not Magmortar is pretty iffy.

Altering Electabuzz's stat spread so much to make Electivire a thing probably warrants being annoyed at. +40 Attack when that was its 4th highest stat, what the hell.

Why is Tyranitar a Dark-type? Almost all the other Gen 2 Dark-types are cunning, but Tyranitar's PokéDex entries mainly describe it as mindless.
Something that surprisingly doesn't get brought up enough is that Dark types can often be ruthless and violet as much as cunning. Tyrantitar, Mega Gyarados, Sharpedo, Hydreigon, Guzzlord, and Urshifu are all Dark types characterized by brutality more so than trickery.

Dark type is quite literally Evil type in JP, something that suits Tyranitar fine.

On the subject of Dark types, all wild Dark types in gen II were nocturnal (Tyranitar is the only one that isn't nocturnal and has zero references to night), and the type was represented by a crescent moon in the TCG. The nocturnal/lunar connection was further reinforced by the Super Contest moves in the Ruby/Sapphire remakes being lunar themed, and the type icon being a crescent moon through Let's Go - Sword/Shield, plus a few side games. Despite this, the vast majority of Dark types that have been introduced since gen II have no nocturnal/lunar connection and the sole move that directly connects to such a motif is Zoroark's former signature, Night Daze (Night Slash's JP name, "Crossroad Killing", references a term for testing a sword by using it on a random passerby, usually by hiding somewhere near a crossroad, it is not really night themed, moreso something fairly evil). And Zoroark itself has no night motif. Of the new Dark types, only Darkrai has a connection to night, and only it, Cacturne, Weavile, and Alolan Rattata/Raticate are nocturnal (though Galarian Linoone does exclusively evolve at night). Greninja's JP name references moonlight, and that's about it. Well, there's Roaring Moon, but it's not even moon-themed outside of the name...

So, going from 5/6 Dark types being nocturnal or otherwise connected to nighttime, Pokémon is currently at maybe 12-13 out of 83. So like, it's kinda weird for the type to utilize that motif as a common icon or defining feature. Like, that's probably a similar percentage to specifically volcanic Fire types. It feels similar to if Fire used a magma bubble as an icon to represent the type, or if Ice used an aurora, or Psychic used a star. The icon has been changed to...I think it's supposed to be an evil-looking eye, at least for the main series, which suits Dark type as a whole better than a crescent moon. But it does feel like a bit of a waste that more wasn't done with the motif when it so strongly defines the type's iconography.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Zoroark's former signature, Night Daze (Night Slash's JP name, "Crossroad Killing", references a term for testing a sword by using it on a random passerby, usually by hiding somewhere near a crossroad, it is not really night themed, moreso something fairly evil).
Jesus, that's downright horrific. How have I never heard of this before?

Back on topic, it's weird how much Fairy is associated with the moon when the vast majority of Fairy Pokemon... aren't. Clefairy, yeah. But not the rest. Fairies in folklore do have relatively strong moon associations, but the vast majority of other Fairies are cute animals or nature spirits. You can excuse older Pokemon that got retyped, but even when it comes to most of the Fairies introduced post-Gen VI, there's still not a prevalent moon theme.

I had the thought that Dark=moon and Psychic=sun would have been a neat thematic twinning, but then again Psychic's sun/star/light/space association has only become a thing in recent years - it wasn't emphasised in the first four or five gens to my knowledge. And a sun makes more sense to link with Fire anyway. Psychic's defining characteristic (in the context of the wider type chart) was always that it's a counterpart to Fighting; this is played up a lot more in the first few gens, but doesn't really get emphasised as much any more.

Really Dark and Bug make a better counterpart pairing but that probably wouldn't work for international audiences quite as well.

but then again Psychic's sun/star/light/space association has only become a thing in recent years - it wasn't emphasised in the first four or five gens to my knowledge.
:starmie::solrock::lunatone::metagross::jirachi::deoxys::cresselia::beheeyem:
To an extent,
:latios:(Luster Purge), :claydol: (dex lore has it animated by mysterious light, UMoon goes further and suggests its based off a visitor from the sky)
Notable moves: Light Screen(1), Reflect(1), Gravity(4)

If anything, I'd say the space theme really picked up in gen 3.

QuentinQuonce

:starmie::solrock::lunatone::metagross::jirachi::deoxys::cresselia::beheeyem:
To an extent,
:latios:(Luster Purge), :claydol: (dex lore has it animated by mysterious light, UMoon goes further and suggests its based off a visitor from the sky)
Notable moves: Light Screen(1), Reflect(1), Gravity(4)

If anything, I'd say the space theme really picked up in gen 3.
Fair enough on those ones but worth pointing out that Starmie is a starfish as much as it is a literal star. It's not space-themed simply because it's Psychic: Hypno, Alakazam, Jynx, Mr Mime, Exeggutor, Slowbro, Slowking, Unown, Mew, Mewtwo, and Lugia don't have much of a cosmic flavour to them.

And for those examples where there's other types you can argue that the other type also plays a role in the space theme:

Solrock and Lunatone are meteors, thus Rock
Jirachi is a comet, thus Steel

I meant the type itself, though, rather specific Pokemon. Maybe "the first four or five gens" is stretching it (I had a mental blank and forgot that Cosmic Power is a Gen III move) but Psychic's space association was just plain not a thing in the first couple of gens at least. Starmie is pretty much the only space-themed Psychic in the first two gens. Espeon is sun-associated but it's a stretch to say it's associated with stars or space beyond that.

I might be forgetting something else but does Metagross really have much of a space theme beyond its signature move being named Meteor? It's a robotic supercomputer, not a literal meteor itself. It's found in the Giant Chasm in Unova with a bunch of other space mons but that's all I can think of.

Back on topic, it's weird how much Fairy is associated with the moon when the vast majority of Fairy Pokemon... aren't. Clefairy, yeah. But not the rest. Fairies in folklore do have relatively strong moon associations, but the vast majority of other Fairies are cute animals or nature spirits. You can excuse older Pokemon that got retyped, but even when it comes to most of the Fairies introduced post-Gen VI, there's still not a prevalent moon theme.
For what it's worth, it really is only Moonlight, Moonblast, and the Clefairy line that associates the Fairy type with the moon, minus some dex stuff like Primarina singing on moonlit nights. Moonblast is just a very prominent aspect of it by being pretty much the definitive Fairy move and getting splashed around just about anything that relates to the moon or moonlight, like Cresselia and Lunala.

I had the thought that Dark=moon and Psychic=sun would have been a neat thematic twinning, but then again Psychic's sun/star/light/space association has only become a thing in recent years - it wasn't emphasised in the first four or five gens to my knowledge.
196Espeon_GS.png

197Umbreon_GS.png

Just once.

Also just a funny thing to me, Umbreon is the Moonlight Pokemon, but the move Moonlight, along with Moonblast, is a type it's weak to.

Last edited:
Fair enough on those ones but worth pointing out that Starmie is a starfish as much as it is a literal star. It's not space-themed simply because it's Psychic: Hypno, Alakazam, Jynx, Mr Mime, Exeggutor, Slowbro, Slowking, Unown, Mew, Mewtwo, and Lugia don't have much of a cosmic flavour to them.

And for those examples where there's other types you can argue that the other type also plays a role in the space theme:

I meant the type itself, though, rather specific Pokemon. Maybe "the first four or five gens" is stretching it (I had a mental blank and forgot that Cosmic Power is a Gen III move) but Psychic's space association was just plain not a thing in the first couple of gens at least. Starmie is pretty much the only space-themed Psychic in the first two gens. Espeon is sun-associated but it's a stretch to say it's associated with stars or space beyond that.

I might be forgetting something else but does Metagross really have much of a space theme beyond its signature move being named Meteor? It's a robotic supercomputer, not a literal meteor itself. It's found in the Giant Chasm in Unova with a bunch of other space mons but that's all I can think of.
Analyzing Starmie, Solrock, and Lunatone like that seems a bit backward. If Psychic didn't have any space associations, why would a starfish and two meteors be Psychic-type? (Jirachi's an early 100 pixie, that one doesn't really need any reason to be Psychic)

There's also Cosmic Power, which is probably the most overtly space-themed move in the game and was introduced in Gen 3.

Starmie is also included as light theming, and its dex entries often hypothesize that it either came from or is sending signals to space, with Stadium being the first: "When away from human eyes, its core is said to glow mysteriously in seven colors. This Pokémon may have come from outer space."

I honestly associate Metagross with Sky Tower in PMD more than any core series relation. The round design can also be taken as it resembling a UFO (Bulbapedia also suggests its stance might be based on a lunar lander as well but I hadn't thought of it before).

Side note: comets are generally not metallic.

QuentinQuonce

Analyzing Starmie, Solrock, and Lunatone like that seems a bit backward. If Psychic didn't have any space associations, why would a starfish and two meteors be Psychic-type?
I'm not saying it has none, just making the observation that Psychic=/=space in the same way that Dark=evil.

Starmie's design is a melding of two things: starfish and star.

Night Slash's JP name being what it is is theorized to be why Ash's Greninja uses Cut and Aerial Ace in the anime, but not Night Slash. The alt art for Hisuian Samurott Vstar makes the connection much more obvious.
View attachment 469853
Ironically, that card's move is not Night Slash, despite that art being perfect for it. Rather, it translates to "Merciless Blade". It's a fairly natural question to think of, so I double checked Ceaseless Edge's JP name and it's totally different, translating to "Secret Sword - Thousand Waves". That said, for all my comments about Dark's increasing separation from the old lunar/night motif, its V-Star Power translates to "Moon Slicing Star". Admittedly the TCG does get to be a lot more flavorful in each Pokemon's abilities. A decent number of moves and abilities that were introduced in the TCG were incorporated into the games later on, so maybe one day Celesteela will suddenly gain Moon Raker as a signature move. For a Pokemon named (in JP anyway) after the moon princess Kaguya, not learning a single move related to the moon is kinda...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)