(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Oh wow, I legit didn't realise Hisuian Typhlosion's HA was Frisk when I asked that - checked the page briefly and it showed as Flash Fire. Yeah, that's... a really underwhelming HA. Damn, that's really disappointing.

Makes sense! Skeledirge is cool though, a worthy winner of "best Fire/Ghost starter"

View attachment 513913
iirc it was flash fire in pla (all of the new hisuian forms had the same hidden abilities as their other forms -- i assume hidden abilities are unobtainable in pla so they didn't bother?)

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
iirc it was flash fire in pla (all of the new hisuian forms had the same hidden abilities as their other forms -- i assume hidden abilities are unobtainable in pla so they didn't bother?)
Yeah, that rings a bell. Nothing caught in PLA has an ability at all (I keep getting traded stuff on Home without them, which is irritating in itself because like... no, that Lilligant I just got DOES have an ability, why can't you just... display what it is ffs?)

Idk how it works with that game, can anything caught in PLA have its Hidden Ability flag? Or does everything just have standard abilities? I assume there's a definitive guide to this but I've not seen it.

Yeah, that rings a bell. Nothing caught in PLA has an ability at all (I keep getting traded stuff on Home without them, which is irritating in itself because like... no, that Lilligant I just got DOES have an ability, why can't you just... display what it is ffs?)

Idk how it works with that game, can anything caught in PLA have its Hidden Ability flag? Or does everything just have standard abilities? I assume there's a definitive guide to this but I've not seen it.
I don't believe anything LA can have its hidden ability (there were some wi-fi gifts at some point that had hard-coded HA, though), instead every Pokemon just gets whatever standard ability flag it can roll and moves on. Normal Pokemon should be viewable even without touching another game once they're in bank (ie: I just moved over a bunch of stantler and rowlett to see their abilities just fine).

I assume it doesn't display the abilities of the Hisuian Forms and Pokemon specifically mostly in case they changed their abilities. And probably just to underlien "no you can't use these outside of this game yet".

QuentinQuonce

I don't believe anything LA can have its hidden ability (there were some wi-fi gifts at some point that had hard-coded HA, though), instead every Pokemon just gets whatever standard ability flag it can roll and moves on. Normal Pokemon should be viewable even without touching another game once they're in bank (ie: I just moved over a bunch of stantler and rowlett to see their abilities just fine).

I assume it doesn't display the abilities of the Hisuian Forms and Pokemon specifically mostly in case they changed their abilities. And probably just to underlien "no you can't use these outside of this game yet".
On the mobile version of Home at least (which is what I use) it doesn't show abilities for Pokemon from PLA; I assume it would if they were transferred to a different game.

On the mobile version of Home at least (which is what I use) it doesn't show abilities for Pokemon from PLA; I assume it would if they were transferred to a different game.
Messing around some more, just dropping 60 random pokemon that have never touched home before...

Switch Home has no issues with this. Like I said before you can just plop them into Home, never moving them anywhere else, and so long as you're not viewing in LA Mode* it will display the proper data. But with this random Bronzor for example, it must be moved into some game (I used SWSH) to display the ability in Mobile Home; but the 59 other Pokemon won't show anything.
But wait, there's more! Specifically it is only showing the SWSH moveset. So with that in mind I did another experiment: I took that same Bronzor and a random Alola-origin Rowlet, put them back into LA, took them back out and...no longer displays the ability for either of them, and displays their LA moveset.

So that's why. Mobile Home only displays the latest info stored associated with that Pokemon. Switch Home just shows whatever matches the view mode and updates accordingly. Barring the next update "fixing" that you will never be able to see those Pokemon's abilities!

SIDE NOTE: god i hate switching between switch & mobile. You can only be logged into the account in one or the other, not both, so you have to save & exit out of the Switch version, close it, then open the mobile version and mess around there, then close the app, back to switch, etc.

*In Switch Home, when viewing Pokemon, you choose to access one of your games where it will display all the Pokemon in that game's style (ie: LA will see all the Pokemon with no abilities, a moveset that matches their level up moveset in LA if applicable, all balls are Strange, etc) or you can view it in "Home Mode" where it just lets you look at the Home boxes without bothering with another game. Judging by displaying a Pokeball and the default level up moveset from SWSH (showing blanks if they aren't in SWSH), I assume Home Mode is basically viewing it in SWSH mode as a default.

Pokemon sent directly from Let's Go to BDSP and Legends: Arceus get their moveset reset to the last 4 level up moves when sent to Sword and Shield instead of retaining the movesets they had in Let's Go like if you move them from Let's Go to Sword/Shield. This is because coding-wise, Let's Go and Sword/Shield have different moveset memories like with BDSP and Legends, but the moves stay the same if moved directly to SwSh(Pokemon Sent from Bank and to Home are auto-set into the SwSh format so this isn't an issue for those Pokemon). This also means, assuming moveset can be kept in S/V, that any Kanto Pokemon not found in Sword/Shield are incapable of having both Let's Go Exclusive moves and BDSP/Legends-exclusive Ribbons at the same time(So for example Dewgong from Let's Go cannot have both Toxic and the Sinnoh Champion ribbon because moving it directly from Let's Go to BDSP removes its original Let's Go moveset from the memory.

None of this matters in the off chance of SV resetting movesets, however.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To be fair, if they *really wanted* we do have moves that change affinity based on which stat is highest, so if they really wanted it to they could have it work same as Photon Geyser and the couple other moves that do.
My quick two cents, and going into wishlist territory, here's how I'd handled things:

1. Meloetta no longer transforms during battle. As pointed out, going from a Special to Physical attacker and vice versa makes no sense AND makes you not want to use its Signature Move. And that's something which always agitates me: GF, if you're going to give a Pokemon a Signature Move OR Ability, something which represents special traits that Pokemon has you deemed worthy enough to bring into battle, MAKE IT WORTH USING! So many lackluster Signature Moves & Abilities, it just makes you (or at least me) let out a "why bother?". Sorry for that little rant, but it supports my feelings on this matter so I decided to include it.

2. Now, for those who remember Meloetta's lore, Meloetta has an item which is important to it: a pair of Red Shoes. I say, bring back those "Red Shoes" as a Key Item. However, they won't be alone. The image of the shoes will be that they're inside a box. You can choose to "Close It" and have the Key Item itself transform into the "Green Music Box"; and you can then choose to "Open It" to transform it back into the "Red Shoes". So it's two Key Items in one.

3. Now we can get into form changing. We'll start this scenario with Meloetta-Aria. As of Gen IX, Meloetta-Aria can now learn Relic Song reaching Level 50. Great! However, you can teach Meloetta-Aria the Move earlier (or anytime you want) by just using the "Green Music Box" on it. However, that's not the important part. The important part is what happens if you use the "Red Shoes" on Meloetta-Aria: Instead of learning Relic Song, it learns "Relic Dance" AND transforms it into Meloetta-Pirouette. Likewise, if you use the "Green Music Box" on Meloette-Pirouette, it'll learn Relic Song and transform into into Meloetta-Aria. BTW, just as Meloetta-Aria doesn't need to know Relic Song to mantain it's form, as soon as it transforms into Meloetta-Pirouette it'll stay in that form even if you delete Relic Dance from it; only way for it to transform back to Aria is via the Green Music Box.

4. That said, you may want to consider keeping Relic Song/Dance as I also suggest vastly improving them:

Relic Song: Psychic-type. 90 Power. Special. 20% Chance to inflict Sleep.
Relic Dance: Fighting-type. 90 Power. Physical. 20% Chance to inflict Paralysis.

"That seems a bit OP". OF COURSE IT'S OP IT'S A SIGNATURE MOVE OF A MYTHICAL POKEMON!

View attachment 513897View attachment 513898View attachment 513899

All three of these Pokemon are classified as having different colors in the Pokedex. Volcarona is white, Slither Wing is red, and Iron Moth is yellow.
GF Employee: You know, we can probably just solve this by adding an "Orange" category...
GF Director: Why would we add a fruit as a color category?

It feels kind of purposeful, though it's odd they didn't do anything similar with the other paradoxes (Great Tusk goes to purple while Donphan & Iron Treads are both in Gray)
Purple? I guess by a tint? That feels like a stretch GF...

Now you got me curious (only including ones with a color difference we hadn't covered):

Amoonguss (White) / Brute Bonnet (Gray). Huh, and here I thought it was going to be green since that's the new color they added to its design. Still, I don't think BB is a different shade of white/gray as Amoonguss so them saying one is white and one is gray is odd. Would make more sense to say BB was Red as at least that would be splitting the difference.

Salamence (Blue) / Roaring Moon (Green). GREEN? I get that Japan traditionally sees green as a shade of blue so it's a coin flip wherever tealish Pokemon end up, but wouldn't the more obvious other color for RM be Red?

Hariyama (Brown) / Iron Hands (Gray). Alright, I guess this makes sense... even if the most obvious color on both of them is Yellow...

Alright, so it's not actually that many, though for most of them it is weird. I also learned Misdreavus (and Flutter Mane) are considered Gray (I would say they were more Blue) and Hydreigon (and Iron Jugulis) are considered Blue (when I would say there were more Black). And yes, I know, most of the time what color a Pokemon is goes by the head color (hence why Druddigon is Red when most of it is Blue), but that just goes to show how pointless the Color category is unless they put Pokemon into multiple Color category (or at least 2).

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tbh don’t know if this should be annoy or like thread for me, its a bit of both.

Just found out today that you can run from trainer battles in SV. Obviously something most veterans like me wouldn’t have noticed since like, why would you even try?

So I dislike the general idea but the game apparently treats it as if you were KO’d in the battle which I like (idk if it bumps you back to a Pokecenter etc.)

tbh don’t know if this should be annoy or like thread for me, its a bit of both.

Just found out today that you can run from trainer battles in SV. Obviously something most veterans like me wouldn’t have noticed since like, why would you even try?

So I dislike the general idea but the game apparently treats it as if you were KO’d in the battle which I like (idk if it bumps you back to a Pokecenter etc.)
It does treat it the same as blacking out. I get why they did it. In an open world game, it’s a time save to not have to fight a Trainer that has 30 levels on you and watch your whole team get KO’d in case you accidentally talk to the wrong person, saves the friendship penalty too. Don’t know specifically if you still lose your money.

Can you breed HA individuals and send them to LA to evolve for the Hisuian HA on Cross-Evos like the Starters or Kleavor? I assume LA individuals don't remember the flag but they had HA's designated for the species in the game (even if some changed in Gen 9 data), so curious if it remembers the flag for imported Pokemon or sets yet other stuff to defaults like that

Can you breed HA individuals and send them to LA to evolve for the Hisuian HA on Cross-Evos like the Starters or Kleavor? I assume LA individuals don't remember the flag but they had HA's designated for the species in the game (even if some changed in Gen 9 data), so curious if it remembers the flag for imported Pokemon or sets yet other stuff to defaults like that
Being dropped into LA doesn't change the Pokemon's ability at all, and as I said they even gave out LA gifts that had the HA ability (that you'd only notice on transfer).
So yeah if you dropped a Sap Sipper Stantler into LA, it would evolve into a Sap Sipper Wyrdeer, you just wouldn't be able to see it until the Home update hits(/you transfer to SV)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
:sv/tatsugiri:

View attachment 514004

Why'd they give a Pokemon whose whole shtick is that it's small and weak these stats?
It's physically weak, which is reflected in its abysmal physical Attack and rather low HP and physical Defense. Tatsugiri's whole thing is that it has no physical strength because it's small and mushy, and in general it lacks physical strength.

All of its high stat values lie in its special stats (particularly its Special Attack) and rather decent Speed, which suggest adeptness with magical/elemental attacks and Special stats derive from mental energy. Because while Tatsugiri may be physically weak, it is also incredibly smart. In the Pokemon universe, having exceptionally high intellect aligns with having high Special stats, case in point being Alakazam, and Tatsugiri makes up for its lack of physical strength by being an extremely smart, calculating, and strategically minded Pokemon. Its decent Speed and its in-universe behavior (running away at the sight of the player) also align with its tendency to run from enemies and it's also very quick to react: the Speed stat also tends to align with reaction Speed and Tatsugiri being as smart as it is can be quick to react.

Tatsugiri forms a brain and brawn duo with its partner Dondozo, and is in many ways the opposite side of the same coin in relation to Dondozo. While Tatsugiri is small and lacks physical strength, it is exceptionally smart and is a quick thinker. Dondozo, in contrast, is big and very physically strong, but lacks intelligence: it is very stupid and dim-witted. This is reflected in Dondozo's stats, especially in relation to Tatsugiri's: Dondozo contrarily has extremely high HP and high physical Attack and Defense, reflecting its large, bulky build and exceptional physical strength and durability, but its special stats are comparatively poor, reflecting Dondozo's poor intellect, while its Speed is abysmal, reflecting its slowness in moving and slowness to react or think, as it is entirely dependent on Tatsugiri's magnificent smarts because it has little to none of its own.

:sv/tatsugiri:

View attachment 514004

Why'd they give a Pokemon whose whole shtick is that it's small and weak these stats?
because they wanted to thread the needle of "gimmicky pokemon that can still do something when the gimmick falls or is unavailable"

So they landed on "good sp. atk, decent sp.def, terrible everything else". The movepool is also fairly limited, offensively.

I appreciate that they wanted to make it a base level of usable, extending it to the ability. Hidden Ability Tatsugiri actually gets a normal ability: Storm Drain

The same can apply to Oinkologne as well. One of the other weakest Pokemon from Paldea, but Spidops takes the cake.
As far as Paldea BST goes Oinkologne is fine. Nearly 500 BST (489), extremely good HP, fine attack (male) and ok defenses relative to the HP stat it has (earlier generations probably would have kneecapped them more).

There's obviously more than stats to these things, but Oinkologne comes out pretty nice.
Purely in terms of BST there are 19 other fully evolved Paldean Pokemon weaker than it and its stat distribution isn't the worst for what it is.

Like it's never going to set the world on fire, but it's Fine. Usable, Even.

So Oinkologne is less like Greedent or a rodent and more like Dubwool, then. That's plenty fair.
Yeah though in fairness to Greedent it actually makes the most use out of its limited BST
Higher HP than Oinkologne, only marginally less Attack, higher defense, less-but-not-unappreciated special defense. It made the most by super dunking Speed (20) and special attack.

Anyway our eyes on the prize: Spidops done dirty. It has passable defenses and nothing else. If it at least had a lto of HP, like Greedent & Oinkologne, then maybe....

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As far as Paldea BST goes Oinkologne is fine.
So Oinkologne is less like Greedent or a rodent and more like Dubwool, then.
Let's also not forget Abilities which Oinkologne has two notable ones. Ignoring Gluttony and Thick Fat (the latter not being a bad Ability), females get Aroma Veil which makes them decent Double Battle partners for Pokemon which would be hindered by Taunt. Spotlight is on the males who get Lingering Aroma which changes an opponent's Ability to it if they attack with a contact move (and thus they too can possibly spread it which for players who plan ahead they can potentially use to their advantage). While they have a good Attack stat, with these Abilities it feels a bit more their meant to stay around in battle to support or hassle if you can play with their niche.

Meanwhile Greedent is more of a one trick pony, that trick being eating a Berry. Cheek Pouch + Sig Ability Stuff Cheeks could give Greedent a major boost later in the battle where it needs to heal, wouldn't hurt to get some more Defense, and whatever additional effect its Berry offers. Though after that it only has itself, plus this combo is only focused on itself (which I supposed goes with the "greed" part of its name).

And of course Dubwool is just a tank (that is flammable), though it does have some Moves which it could use to both support & hinder (mostly defense messing ones like Guard Split & Guard Swap).

Anyway our eyes on the prize: Spidops done dirty. It has passable defenses and nothing else. If it at least had a lto of HP, like Greedent & Oinkologne, then maybe....
And now we come back to Spidops who's Abilities are Insomnia (useless) and Stakeout (for a Pokemon who has TRAPPING Moves seems a bit counterproductive).

Why is Damp still a 90% worthless ability in 2023?
You can ask that about quite a few number of Abilities. The answer is that for GF to improve Damp it would be admitting it and many other Abilities could use a upgrade which than involves thinking what those upgrades are and what Abilities should get them. And doing all that takes away time thinking up new Abilities, mainly Signature, which have more interesting or at least impactful effects so why would they ever go back to their old toys?

5. Manaphy. Technically not actually shiny-locked; I've got several. Game Freak obviously tried to shiny-lock it (in a primitive Gen IV sort of way), but due to a fuckup on their part it's perfectly doable to obtain a shiny of this species. Because it's only available because of said fuckup it's extremely rare but every time you offer it up as a trade countless people go "omg is this illegal???" So Game Freak could have just bit the bullet and said "ah, we tried, we failed, no sense trying to put the genie back in the bottle and shiny-locking it in BDSP" BUT THEY DID JUST THAT. What was I just saying about remakes making formerly-unavailable shinies available? Never mind.
All Mystery Gifts in BDSP are shiny-locked, it's a quirk of how the Mystery Gifts for it are coded.

QuentinQuonce

All Mystery Gifts in BDSP are shiny-locked, it's a quirk of how the Mystery Gifts for it are coded.
Did not know this! That would explain a lot...

Though as I said, I think they should have distributed it at some point. Given that they had 4 generations between DPP and BDSP they could have done an event for a shiny Manaphy at any point if they wanted the shiny release to be on their own terms.

Interestingly I just came across this which I was also not aware of - most mystery gifts are either shiny or not shiny, but apparently in Gen V there's a few that can vary:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShinyPokemon/comments/mm97fj

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not Pokemon specifically, but rather something about Bulbapedia when it comes to Moves on their Type pages:

I wish the Z-Moves and Max Moves were separated into their own section. I look through the Moves on the Type page every so often (usually for a post here or a personal idea) and it's annoying when trying to check the normal Moves having to scroll past those special Moves. Max are easy enough to skip, but the Z-Moves don't have a signifier. Also, since the "normal" Z-Moves and all Max Moves can be either Physical or Special they're listed twice! Oh, and not to mention THEY ARE ONLY USABLE IN GENS THAT INCLUDE THEIR SUPER MECHANIC!

I get including them, but list them underneath the normal Moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 20)