Little things you like about Pokémon

This is probably a bit more meta compared to what this thread is usually for but can I just give a shoutout to the Gen 3 fanbase real quick? Honest to god, they're what every other generational fanbase should hope to and strive to be.
I find this very ironic since I remember back during 2011-2014 (before OR/AS), I felt that the Gen 3 fans were among the most obnoxious and annoying Pokémon fans. Heck, annoying isn't enough to describe them. From where I spent my time with the fandom back then, I remember getting very annoyed at all Hoenn fans who were constantly asking for Hoenn remakes and hating on all the other regions/generations. The best (worst?) example I can remember is when I was browsing a forum and there was a pre-release thread for B2/W2, but nobody in the thread was discussion Unova or Gen 5, all they talked about was the possibility of Hoenn being in the games. Not all Gen 3 fans were this extreme though. And despite being a Hoenn fan myself (not my favorite region/generation post the release D/P/P, but I still like it), I found it extremely annoying how the Hoenn fans in general would never shut up about about their demand for R/S remakes. At that point, I was personally convinced that Hoenn remakes would never happen because of how hated Gen 3 had been when it was new, and I was considering saying that on the forums as well just so that the Hoenn fans could shut up about it and move on with their lives. But in retrospect, it is a good thing I didn't say that because of how wrong it turned out to be.

In comparison, I think fans the of Gen 4 and Sinnoh have been a lot less obnoxious and annoying, I feel that they have been a lot more level-headed about their approach to Sinnoh and D/P remakes. I don't think they were perfect, but way better than I remember that the Hoenn fans were in the past.

As for your post on the whole, I can sort of agree that the Hoenn fans have gotten better in more recent days. It feels like they have gotten a lot more calm after OR/AS, but still, I don't think they are perfect or even the best part of the fandom. If you ask me, I'd say no part of the fandom is the best, fans of all generations have room for improvment. But we are all facing opposition (if this is the right word?) in some way from other parts of the fandom, or from the series and the franchise on the whole, so it is hard for any of us to be perfect. There is a lot more I want to say on this subject, but I feel that it is too negative for this thread, so I'll stop here.

I also feel that this discussion got very negative on the whole. I apologize for turning your post into something so negative, but if you'll excuse me saying this, I think your post could have been a bit more positive on the whole. You could have focused more on why you think the Hoenn fans are great and less on why fans of other regions are not as great as them. And yes, I feel like I can sometimes get too negative in this thread as well so if you think I'm a hypocrite for saying this, that's okay.

To get back on track, let's say something positive. I have come up with two new things I like. The first thing I like is this: How transferring Pokémon from one generation to the next has generally become easier and more convenient with every new generation. I thought about this recently because I used Pal Park to transfer some Pokémon between Gen 3 and 4 a few days ago. Let's take a look at this and how it has been in all generations so far:
- Between Gen 1 and 2, you could trade. But it was impossible to even enter the trading room with any Pokémon/move from Gen 2 when you were trading with a Gen 1 game, which I always found very annyoing.
- It was not possible to transfer Pokémon from Gen 2 to Gen 3.
- From Gen 3 to Gen 4, we had Pal Park, which was functional but pretty slow and inefficient compared to later methods.
- From Gen 4 to Gen 5, there was Poké Transfer which I personally find a lot more convenient and easier to use than Pal Park. It requires a bit of skill for sure, but I find it very easy to master. Still not as great a future generations though.
- From Gen 5 to Gen 6 and Gen 6 to Gen 7, there was Bank and Transporter, which doesn't require you to play a mini-game at all! A very welcome improvement.
- Regarding Gen 8, I have personally never transferred anything from Bank to Home, but I imagine that it must be just as efficient as with Bank (unless you need both the mobile app and the Switch app or something like that).
Overall, I think it has improved a lot over the generations. That said, all transferring features have some issues, neither of them is perfect and there's still room for further improvement. But even so, I am very happy about the fact that it has improved over the years.

Speaking of transferring Pokémon between generations, here's another thing I like regarding that. I like how, from Gen 4 to Gen 7, it was always possible to transfer any Pokémon from the previous generation. There were no limitations (except for some very specific event-Pokémon), you could always transfer anything you had. It was not something I ever thought about much back during those generations, but now that it is no longer possible to do this for Gen 8, I have come to appreciate it a lot more. And I really miss it nowadays. Sometimes, you don't know how important something is until you no longer have it. The same can be said for a lot of other things in Pokémon, I guess...

Yes, that was a positive way to say that I don't like dexit.

Last edited:

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually: there is a limitation on what you can transfer. You cannot transfer a Pokémon that knows an HM.
This is pretty clever of the developers, as you may transfer a Pokémon only to realize you're now stranded forever because it had Surf and you have no possibility to leave the island you're on. That's some nice Developers' Foresight.

Moves the Pokémon does not learn by level-up, but show up in the Move Reminder list anyways. Recent Event-only moves, Egg Moves, and moves learned through TRs are examples of such.
Strangely, Tutor moves in gens 6 & 7 (I feel like I tested this in gen 8 with the Island tutors but I can't remember) don't even if the move is otherwise something they could learn either by level, egg or what have you.

And some more specifics on event moves, since I'm here:
-Straight up not a single event move was written to memory prior to gen 6
-Starting in gen 6, Moves that literally were not obtainable on any Pokemon by any means, ie Celebration and Hold Hands and so on, were written to memory regardless of when they were released
-When siggu says "Recent event-only moves" they likely mean stuff like normal moves the Pokemon otherwise doesnt get. IE: Sing Pikachu. Starting somewhere in gen 6 (I'd guess around ORAS, personally) they started writing those moves to memory. But before that? Nothing.

e: Other quirks! Move transfer (in the nursery) doesnt write to memory and, apparently, neither to Brilliant Pokemon's egg moves.

Last edited:
Actually: there is a limitation on what you can transfer. You cannot transfer a Pokémon that knows an HM.
This is pretty clever of the developers, as you may transfer a Pokémon only to realize you're now stranded forever because it had Surf and you have no possibility to leave the island you're on. That's some nice Developers' Foresight.
You're right, I completely forgot about this. But it is only a limit for certain moves and not for certain Pokémon, so I think that's fine (even if it means that you can't transfer some Pokémon with specific event moves, as lucariomaster2 pointed out).
And I agree with you, I think it was neat that they added this to prevent players from potentially getting stuck in the game the Pokémon are transferred from.
Honestly the dialogue in pokemon dppt is incredible. I like how talking to seemingly irrelevant NPCs actually reveals Cyrus's backstory and contributes to your understanding of the storyline. It really makes you take your time with the game and enjoy the ride which was incredible.
I agree. Not only in D/P/P, but in all Pokémon games, minor NPCs can say some really interesting stuff. When I play through the games, I always talk to every NPC I meet just to see what they have to say. I really like when they give some more info about major NPCs (like your example about Cyrus), when they make references to other Pokémon games/regions, or sometimes even references to things outside of the Pokémon world! And at other times, they say things that are generally just funny, interesting or inspiring. It is always fun to see what the NPCs in the games have to say.

Speaking of which, since we don't have a thread for favorite NPC quotes or favorite Pokémon quotes in general (only one for funniest NPC quotes), I want to share one of my favorite quotes from Pokémon since it feels like this thread is the right place for it. This quote is from a kid in Floccesy Town in B2/W2, who says the following: "People always think the past or the future would be so wonderful. But the great time we're spending with Pokemon is right now!" This is one of my all-time favorite quotes from Pokémon. Everything about it is perfect. It feels very appropriate for the fandom, because we always seem to think that the past was better than the present, or that the future will become better... but I think we need to appreciate the present as well. This quote was very relevant during Gen 5, and I feel that it is still relevant even nowadays, three generations later.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Does... Does that Blissey own a house?
I know she probably does not but I'm getting major "that was a nice day of work, now time to make myself a cup of tea" vibes from the picture...
In fairness it isn't unheard of. Pokémon in the Mystery Dungeon series own houses, though you usually only get to see the protagonist's (which isn't even their own, but their buddy's who just gives it to them and then lives off-screen somewhere).

The Happiny portrait is a really nice touch. If this is Blissey's house, that's probably its child. Otherwise, it's its trainer who has kept baby photos of Blissey, showing it was raised by a loving trainer. Either way it's really cute.

....the Galarian-Rapidash card took me about 5 minutes to interpret. I can't unsee that it has a gaping wide mouth where the bottom of it is one of the pink parts of its hair, which would then put the horn as a weird beard and its actual mouth as its nostril.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
The Happiny portrait is a really nice touch. If this is Blissey's house, that's probably its child. Otherwise, it's its trainer who has kept baby photos of Blissey, showing it was raised by a loving trainer. Either way it's really cute.
It’s likely the latter, as the middle portrait is the blissey as a chansey, with its trainer.

Fun fact: You see the blissey portrait on the wall? That’s probably it’s full art card!
1619048176000.jpeg

718CA1E8-CB72-4C98-A4C0-1A713745636B.png

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Does... Does that Blissey own a house?
If you look carefully at the picture above it, it shows a girl with a Chansey so that's likely its Trainer. Also, while those shoes might fit Blissey, those boots by the door certainly wouldn't.

EDIT: Shedinja'd

The one with Sandaconda is just too adorable. And believable.
Not to mention, with the Team Yell Grunt just out of frame, likely a reference to the games where Team Yell was "guarding" a Silicobra while it slept from "noisy" passing trainers (of course the irony being if any trainer were to be considered noisy it would probably be someone on a team which noun/verb means to make a loud noise).

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Seismic Toss has a globe in its attack animation in SwSh and when it was used against me I saw something that looked suspiciously like Florida. It that a coincidence or is the globe centered around where you live? (or where you say you live to get cool Vivillon forms)

Edit: Just a coincidence, but it would've been so cool... :(

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Seismic Toss has a globe in its attack animation in SwSh and when it was used against me I saw something that looked suspiciously like Florida. It that a coincidence or is the globe centered around where you live? (or where you say you live to get cool Vivillon forms)
So here's the view of the planet seen when using Seismic Toss in both LGPE & SwSh:

And here's a map of the US:

Now I can see what you think is Florida, but if we compare the outline of the landmass it doesn't quite match up. If that is Florida, then Mexico landmass extended by quite a bit North, Cuba and the Bahamas are gone, and Canada is missing.

I would say it's just made up.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It looks more like a deformed east asia (and a bit of southeast i think) to me
There would have to have been a LOT of liberties to be taken for it to be that.

I think they just made something up, probably purposely to avoid someone directly comparing the Pokemon world to the real world because GF wants the freedom to do whatever they want with the world's geography.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Fellas? Something incredible has happened. Pokemon Masters remixes are now consistently good. I know, I'm shocked too, but for real.

This is one of the most recent ones, and someone posted it in a server I'm in just to express a similar degree of surprise as I, which in turn introduced me to this whole big shift. Is it better than the og? No. Hell, I'm not sure I'd even call it as good, still sounds a bit too "Masters soundfont"y at points. But it does what none of the remixes I've heard so far from this game have done: It sounds different, but in an actually good, fitting way by incorporating other songs that make sense (namely the encounter theme bit at 0:51), and it doesn't go off on any random tangent into a terrible new composition.

Here's another example of this improvement. The bit of Drought at 0:42.... Mmm, that's good.

And then there's this, which is actually just great. Another first for Masters: Re-orchestrating a track in a really cool way. Probably the only one so far I'd argue could actually be considered better than the original.

I know this sounds kinda back-handed at points and might be better off for the favorite songs thread, but I was convinced for the longest time this game's OST was dead fodder garbage and the sound team, whatever they did, were able to change that and fix all the glaring problems I had with their approach. And any successful conscious bid at successful self-improvement is something worth celebrating in my book.

I think it's really nice how the "big" Pokemon pushed for New Pokemon Snap is Meganium.

It's on the box art, it's the one they chose to showcase the Illumina phenomenon with, the special tweet hashtag has it as the icon. Stuff like that.

Meganium kind of draws the short end of the stick in general, so it's just nice to see them go with it as a major showcase instead of a more typical gen 1 guy.

I can't comprehend how snap could be fun in any way, but the success of it still makes me really happy. I hope this opens the doors for more pokemon spin off revivals that got thrown out as pokemon entered the mobile market era (to great success, to be fair)
I would love to see remakes of colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness for the Switch, maybe having connectivity to Pokemon Home so that it can use Gen 8 Mons.

On second thought, just add another entry to that series. That'd be fun. At least, it all looks fun, I haven't played them, but just imagine Wes or Michael in full Nintendo Switch 3D with better animations and adding some of the cool new mons. Plus, the National Ribbon would be awesome with more availability and being obtainable on newer mons.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)